Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Corpse of the '22-23 Season Isn't Even Cold Yet But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Rnh hyman and kane all tanked this playoffs dont know what you do about that but that's fifteen million for three players that did squat all during the playoffs.

Reactions: McDrai

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Honestly I would expect some what the same roster. The only big fish they could be in on would be Hellebuyck if he's asked for a trade out and that is going to require a shit ton of draft capital going to get done.

Kane McDavid Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Holloway
Kostin McLeod Cheap RW (Connor Brown?)
Cheap LW Ryan Lavoie (?)

Ekholm Bouchard (New 4.25 mill bridge)
Nurse Ceci
Kulak Broberg
Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner
Neal Buy Out

Is basically already the cap roof. It may actually be over.
Once the Oilers re-sign Bouchard, Kostin and Mcleod that's basically it and even then its going to be a tight cap squeeze. Very little room to move.

Yams probably bought out. Nurse contract will be albatross for 7 years.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Upgrades are needed on Campbell, Yams and Ceci. You see what’s available for goalies and go hard to get one.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'm usually the type who doesn't demand changes. And I'm still going to stand by that, but they need to go big for a goaltender.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I still haven't fully processed the end of the season yet, but these are my thoughts about the offseason:

In Goal:

-- Skinner is good. He's a frickin' rookie, people! (Grant Fuhr sucked in his first playoff appearance, too.)
-- Campbell was pretty awful this season, but surely he'll be better next year.

So, in a perfect-world scenario, Skinner will continue to improve and Campbell will bounce back. Problem solved!! But it seems unlikely that both will do better next year. So, I dunno what to do here. Getting rid of Campbell would presumably require a huge buyout that the Oilers cannot afford. My guess is nothing changes in goal, but I'm maybe-sorta-kinda okay with that.

On Defense:

-- Eckholm was fantastic.
-- Nurse was, as ever, massively inconsistent, with regular brain cramps. Definitely the most frustrating player on the club.
-- Kulak was up and down in the RS, but really played great in the playoffs. Can skate, too. Keep him!
-- Ceci, I like (unlike seemingly everyone here). But he wasn't nearly as good this year as last season. I still think it's worth giving him another chance, but ideally on the third-pairing. The problem, as ever, though, is can they afford to pay him what he makes and give him third pairing minutes?
-- Bouchard obviously went from near-zero to hero in a short period following the Ekholm trade, and they need to keep him. But how to afford it?
-- Desharnais, I like. But he needs to play sheltered minutes.
-- Broberg may be the 'deal-breaker' here. I liked his simple, basic game this season. Assuming he continues to improve, he'll be a regular from next season.

On Forward:

-- McDavid and Draisaitl, 'nuff said. But why does Drai (a) seem to get hurt in the playoffs after being an RS iron man?, and (b) have weird, brain cramps with the puck on his stick in the defensive end? Drai, in my opinion, also seems to get too caught up in little mind-games vs. one opponent in playoff series, rather than focusing on the bigger picture. Anyway, these two are amazing.
-- Nuge: What's everyone theory? He had about 2 good games in the playoffs, and 10 where he was invisible. I have to assume he was hurting. Maybe we'll find out...
-- Hyman was great this season, but, again, I have to assume he was hurt down the stretch. I don't think he was ever quite the same after that late-season "break" he had.
-- Kane is concerning due to (a) his decreased production and (b) his tendency to take pointless penalties. But he brings an X-factor that's needed. Maybe next year, his arm will be back to normal and his touch back.
-- Yamamoto. Yeesh... I love the guy, I do. But at some point---esp. if you're a small guy who falls down a lot---you need to supply something consistently, or you're done. He hasn't been able to provide anything consistently, and he takes dumb penalties (like Kane). Too many games in which he can't even get a shot on net. Not that he has any scoring touch anyway.
-- Ryan was one of the most impressive players this season, and great bang for buck. Do they re-sign him at his age, though? I wish more forwards were as 'safe' as him.
-- Kostin lived up to his St. Louis reputation in being now-you-see-him, now-you-don't. However, it's hard to judge the guy when he played so little in the playoffs.
-- Foegele, I like, but he needs way more consistency. High energy player is what they need more of, though. Still getting a lot more done than Yamamoto, though.
-- McLeod is concerning. Great wheels, sometimes good vision, decent on PK. But zero scoring touch, and very inconsistent in production.
-- Janmark is a bit like Kostin -- flashes of brilliance, but too inconsistent.
-- Holloway surely makes the squad next season, but let's hope he brings a scoring touch with him.

I don't see any major changes forthcoming. But I'm sure there'll be a surprise or two...

Not exactly news here, but I really think the Nurse contract (not the player's fault, of course) is the back-breaking problem. Just doesn't leave much wiggle-room and you can't pay a guy that much to be a second or third-pairing. And as their Cap is maxed-out, they certainly can't trade him and retain any salary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would rather watch McDrai Oilers than Seattle Kraken hockey

at the end of the day, hockey is for entertainment and McDrai add more entertainment
Coyote fan coming in peace and also a Oiler fan. Lived in Edmonton during TGO years. Winning is entertainment. Winning is all that matters, period. It stings when you lose, but winning in the NHL is very hard and a mistake here or there in a short series can determine who wins. The Oilers are close, had a great year. Not sure how to get the Oilers over the top, but Kane and Nurse better look in the mirror. Anyway, the Oilers had a great year.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Ibanez

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
Yamamoto and Ceci need to go and we need an actual top 4RHD, top 6 RWer and a goalie that Woodcroft will play all with very minimal cap, this should be fun.

If I am Holland, I would consider parting ways with Woodcroft. Here's why:

1) too many times the Oilers effort was a topic. as a top coach you need to have your players ready to perform and play hard especially in the postseason. Also numerous times they committed weak penalties.

2) he kept on Skinner for too long... I know Campbell had a very disappointing season but both times when he stepped in he played much better than Skinner. Last game Skinner should never have played a minute.

3) While he clearly had Skinner's back, his lack of trust in other forwards apart from McDrai was a clear issue. He overloaded the 1st line and rode them hard almost half a game. This completely destroyed the balance, something which is important for EV play in the playoffs. Maybe the injuries of Kane and Hyman played into this decision but anyway, this is not how you win in the postseason.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ceci gone? Why? Wasn't he playing hurt most of the season? He was great in 2020-21 and 2021-22. Don't fall for recency bias. They won't be able to sign anyone better for less $. If you can trade him straight across for someone like Jan Rutta, sure.

IMHO they played Ceci for too hard minutes this year. Career high in Defensive zone starts, tougher matchups with a more suspect defensive D partner than last year. Extraordinarily few RHD in the league played those types of minutes. The downgrade of Barrie to Desharnais made Ceci's job even tougher. He has shown in the past that with hard, but not insane deployment, he can be a decently solid player. When overtaxed, he starts looking a lot worse. I believe that was evident this year. Just like that Toronto year, and the last few years in Ottawa.

There quite simply is not a magic wand that solve this. Rutta? 32, and averaged less than 50GM/Season in his career never really being a dependable option, aside from at best being a 3rd pairing D in previous seasons. Kulak is a LHD, moving him to the right side will reduce his effectiveness, especially if he has to take Cecis much tougher minutes.

RHD, especially shutdown RHD are a very rare commodity in the NHL, and they cost, in terms of salary and assets. Bouchard cannot cover those minutes. Desharnais was not playing close to those type of tough minutes and was exposed enough as it was. If Desharnais can take a step forward next year and alleviate some of those minutes, the issue should stabilize. Maybe Hamonic could work out, he can play tough minutes, is a RHD/UFA and should be affordable at about the same salary as Ceci. But does anyone think that is really the difference maker in these playoffs?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
With a few hours to process, I feel a bit more optimistic about next year. There are some cap issues but I dont think Oilers will be worse, mostly because I cant imagine the goaltending being as bad as it was this year, I think Campbell will be better, Skinner should improve.
And then hopefully Broberg and Holloway will become impact players.

What I am most positive about though is where the other teams are at. In the east I think we are seeing a little bit of a changing of the shift. Bruins in decline, Toronto in turmoil and possible decline, Tampa in decline. Rangers is a questionmark, Devils are on the rise but also a questionmark. Buffalo and Ottawa on the rise but shouldnt exactly be contenders next year. Canes might be the biggest threat in the east going forward. Maybe Panthers.

In the West, which is more relevant, which teams are likely to improve significantly? I really dont see anyone become a much bigger threat than this year.
Dalls maybe, Oettinger and Robertson will be getting more experience. Who knows ablout flames. Vancouver wont be good enough. Seattle is a weird one, im not sure. Vegas I dont think will improve, they might stay the same. Point is, I dont feel like there is a team in the west that will become significantly more of a threat next year. And Oilers are right there.
LA has a ton of great prospects that will continue to improve so they will be much better again.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
You would think the Devils and Sabres will also be going all in on Hellebyuck, gonna have to outbid them.

We do have the pieces though, depends how much we are willing to give up

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Step one will be not playing the top guys 23+ mins all regular season. Need to break in Holloway, Broberg, Lavoie next season and put them in a position to succeed. Have some capspce for the deadline to add experienced depth for a playoff run

Reactions: Oil53

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
You try to get Hellebuyck and Ingram as the back up.

We have 2-3 years before we are out of the window.

Not sure how we make it work but that's what I'd do at least.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Definitely need big steps forward from Holloway and Broberg.
Broberg has no fiestyness at all. He is very euro-ish. Holloway is at best a middle 6er, probably a 3rd liner. I pencil him at a bottom 6 role next year.

There are runors around Kostin that are worriesome. For sime reason the resigninc doesnt feel so slam dunk for bottom 6 as it should feel. Do Woody dislike Kostin? Is he a turnover bämachine?

Yamamoto needs to be traded for another top6RW. He isnt the fit here for that. He is an expensive 3rd liner.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Step one will be not playing the top guys 23+ mins all regular season. Need to break in Holloway, Broberg, Lavoie next season and put them in a position to succeed. Have some capspce for the deadline to add experienced depth for a playoff run
But how will we make the playoffs if we aren’t playing McDrai half the game? /s

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
f*** at this point i'd trade McDrai if it meant we had a solid 4 line team, back 6 and a solid goalie.

We have 2/3 years left of McDrai. Do we sell high or do we wait for them to walk away for nothing.

Yes I am a little drunk, but I am serious,

Do you trade McDrai for a serious contender? Or would you rather see regular season success instead?

I know this is a tough trolling type question. But seriously, think for a second please.

The only way I trade mcdrai is if I get prime Ales Hemsky, Radek Dvorak, Jaret Stoll, dwayne Roloson and Chris Pronger.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
I still haven't fully processed the end of the season yet, but these are my thoughts about the offseason:

In Goal:

-- Skinner is good. He's a frickin' rookie, people! (Grant Fuhr sucked in his first playoff appearance, too.)
-- Campbell was pretty awful this season, but surely he'll be better next year.

So, in a perfect-world scenario, Skinner will continue to improve and Campbell will bounce back. Problem solved!! But it seems unlikely that both will do better next year. So, I dunno what to do here. Getting rid of Campbell would presumably require a huge buyout that the Oilers cannot afford. My guess is nothing changes in goal, but I'm maybe-sorta-kinda okay with that.

On Defense:

-- Eckholm was fantastic.
-- Nurse was, as ever, massively inconsistent, with regular brain cramps. Definitely the most frustrating player on the club.
-- Kulak was up and down in the RS, but really played great in the playoffs. Can skate, too. Keep him!
-- Ceci, I like (unlike seemingly everyone here). But he wasn't nearly as good this year as last season. I still think it's worth giving him another chance, but ideally on the third-pairing. The problem, as ever, though, is can they afford to pay him what he makes and give him third pairing minutes?
-- Bouchard obviously went from near-zero to hero in a short period following the Ekholm trade, and they need to keep him. But how to afford it?
-- Desharnais, I like. But he needs to play sheltered minutes.
-- Broberg may be the 'deal-breaker' here. I liked his simple, basic game this season. Assuming he continues to improve, he'll be a regular from next season.

On Forward:

-- McDavid and Draisaitl, 'nuff said. But why does Drai (a) seem to get hurt in the playoffs after being an RS iron man?, and (b) have weird, brain cramps with the puck on his stick in the defensive end? Drai, in my opinion, also seems to get too caught up in little mind-games vs. one opponent in playoff series, rather than focusing on the bigger picture. Anyway, these two are amazing.
-- Nuge: What's everyone theory? He had about 2 good games in the playoffs, and 10 where he was invisible. I have to assume he was hurting. Maybe we'll find out...
-- Hyman was great this season, but, again, I have to assume he was hurt down the stretch. I don't think he was ever quite the same after that late-season "break" he had.
-- Kane is concerning due to (a) his decreased production and (b) his tendency to take pointless penalties. But he brings an X-factor that's needed. Maybe next year, his arm will be back to normal and his touch back.
-- Yamamoto. Yeesh... I love the guy, I do. But at some point---esp. if you're a small guy who falls down a lot---you need to supply something consistently, or you're done. He hasn't been able to provide anything consistently, and he takes dumb penalties (like Kane). Too many games in which he can't even get a shot on net. Not that he has any scoring touch anyway.
-- Ryan was one of the most impressive players this season, and great bang for buck. Do they re-sign him at his age, though? I wish more forwards were as 'safe' as him.
-- Kostin lived up to his St. Louis reputation in being now-you-see-him, now-you-don't. However, it's hard to judge the guy when he played so little in the playoffs.
-- Foegele, I like, but he needs way more consistency. High energy player is what they need more of, though. Still getting a lot more done than Yamamoto, though.
-- McLeod is concerning. Great wheels, sometimes good vision, decent on PK. But zero scoring touch, and very inconsistent in production.
-- Janmark is a bit like Kostin -- flashes of brilliance, but too inconsistent.
-- Holloway surely makes the squad next season, but let's hope he brings a scoring touch with him.

I don't see any major changes forthcoming. But I'm sure there'll be a surprise or two...

Not exactly news here, but I really think the Nurse contract (not the player's fault, of course) is the back-breaking problem. Just doesn't leave much wiggle-room and you can't pay a guy that much to be a second or third-pairing. And as their Cap is maxed-out, they certainly can't trade him and retain any salary.

In Goal:
I believe that Campbell will be shiped out (at the expense of picks) or bought out. Given that he didn't start yesterday likely means he has no future under Woodcroft unless Woodcroft is the one that has to go... (I am sure Holland was not happy that his 25mn signing did not get the start yesterday) To bridge Bouch and also due to performance bonuses more cap space is required than initially thought a month ago. Hence, bold moves are required to create cap space...

On Defense:
I agree except that I think we should replace Vinny with a more agile and smart player. I like his effort but for me his is better suited for the AHL game. His size is an asset but his lack of foot-speed got repeatedly exploited by the opposition.
I would keep the others but Nurse is completely overpaid, a contract we cannot get rid of. His decision-making is very questionable in my view and better suited for 2nd pair minutes.
I would like to see Kulak stick around, he is underrated in my view but there is a risk that we have to part ways due to salary cap reasons especially if we keep Campbell. anyway, I hope that Broberg takes a big step next season and is also given adequate opportunity in a less sheltered role.

On Forward:
I would like to see more opportunities given to Kostin. He skates well, especially for his size. he is physical and has an elite wrister. Yamer needs to go because doesn't produce despite having ample opportunities and eats too much cap space. I also hope that one or two of the young guys of Holloway, Lavoie and Bourgault take a big step and make the roster and are productive. Maybe the RW could be solved internally... and if they don't, be active at the trade-deadline.

Nuge cannot drive an own line and even less in the playoffs when it gets more physical. he needs to be on the flank with Draisaitl or McDavid. It was unfortunate that Hyman and Kane were both injured because their game is suited for the postseason where they can establish a physical presence and didn't do the same way as last year...

All-in-all
I think the Oilers are close in contending.... One or two smart tweaks which is probably easier said than done (like Ekholm, Kostin trades) may well push them over the top next season.

The thing with goalies with a few elite exceptions (the russians and helle) is that one year they can play very well and the next year they can be in a prolonged slump. So it is very difficult to predict what we get next season. And as seen once more this season, it is absolutely essential to have solid goaltending in the postseason. if it is below avg. there is almost zero chance to advance even with the best 2 forwards.

I would also like to see a more consistent effort to play a hard and smart game (take less avoidable penalties). I don't know why but from what I have seen the Oilers played much softer against the Knights than against the Kings. Maybe a bit injury related but sense of urgency chatter should not be a topic in the postseason at all regardless of nagging stuff.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Lavoie is a tall guy, they need to invlude him in the lineup he can probably hold his own now. Cant be less intimidating than yamamoto ?

Hunt this market for best 2RW possible for Nuge/Kane and Leon. Trade yamamoto and maybe Ceci to get capspace. Campbell probably is impossible to trade.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lavoie is a tall guy, they need to invlude him in the lineup he can probably hold his own now. Cant be less intimidating than yamamoto ?

Hunt this market for best 2RW possible for Nuge/Kane and Leon. Trade yamamoto and maybe Ceci to get capspace. Campbell probably is impossible to trade.
I don’t see it with Lavoie. I think he is big but less skilled than Yamamoto.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The assumption that Lavoie pencils in concerns me. The guy wasn’t a lock for a contract until he caught fire before Christmas. Sure, he’s a viable prospect again, but he isn’t a sure fire NHLer

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Holloway is approaching bust level if he can't be a 2nd line guy. He hasn't had any production and cant stay healthy.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The assumption that Lavoie pencils in concerns me. The guy wasn’t a lock for a contract until he caught fire before Christmas. Sure, he’s a viable prospect again, but he isn’t a sure fire NHLer
So may be. Dont worry, there are NHLers in the lineup that pushes im lut if so. Holloways lack of talent concerns me though. He seems at best a fir me as a Colin Wilson and such. A captain average. But sure, you draft to get someone in the lineup. Dont expect too much

Holloway is approaching bust level if he can't be a 2nd line guy. He hasn't had any production and cant stay healthy.
He isnt a 2nd line guy. He is a solid body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad