Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Corpse of the '22-23 Season Isn't Even Cold Yet But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
At some point you just have to enjoy it for what it is -- entertainment. It's not anything more than that, and the Oilers are at least fun to watch as the league's top offence. There's worse boats to be in.

It's hard man, after 30 years...

I remember watching Klima score the winner laying on my parents living room floor, and winning the cup seemed like a decent result.

I was a spoiled kid.

Reactions: nally

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
At some point you just have to enjoy it for what it is -- entertainment. It's not anything more than that, and the Oilers are at least fun to watch as the league's top offence. There's worse boats to be in.
This is a very good point and a perspective I’m trying to have going into next season.

It’s pointless to take this too seriously and we have a very fun team to watch.

I’m still confident we are building something here. And I’m not a “Connor is going to leave” doom and gloomer. I think he wants to win here.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Yamamoto will be:
1. Traded with some retention (400-500K)
2. Bought out at 1/3 with cap penalties over the next two seasons of 433K and 533K

Ceci gone? Why? Wasn't he playing hurt most of the season? He was great in 2020-21 and 2021-22. Don't fall for recency bias. They won't be able to sign anyone better for less $. If you can trade him straight across for someone like Jan Rutta, sure.

I think we need: Stanley Cup Winning experience.

We have a lot of roster spaces to add players with Cup winning experience. What we don't have is cap space.

I'm going to say P. Kane, Orlov, and V. Tarasenko are absolutely not willing to play in Edmonton. Who else in terms of pure depth players (bottom pair D and bottom 3-6 forwards)?

Compher
Eller
Namestkikov
Barbashev
Sheary
Sanford
Aston-Reese

E. Johnson
Dumoulin
Shattenkirk
Cole

I don't think Janmark, Yamamoto or Bjugstad will be back. They need to create room for Holloway plus a couple of new players into the mix. I am all for bringing back Ryan for 1 x 1M. I think we could use a veteran D as a no. 7. Broberg back to Bako.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah feels bad eh? Hopefully we start to turn that trend here. I think Holloway is a player.
I see him and McLeod forming our 3rd line. Don’t think he has what it takes to be a top 6 guy. I think Yamamoto stays somehow.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
At some point. But not tonight. ;)

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hope Kostin comes back, but he hardly played for head scratching reasons so I dunno.

I like Kostin/Janmark/Bjugstad/Ryan and Foegele in the bottom six, but Foegele likely goes to clear cap. Biggest question is what they do in net.

It's likely Campbell and Skinner again. But the thought of making a play for Hellebuyck is definitely there.
At least Foegele played well enough, they can probably get a 3rd rounder for him.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
So...Now since they lost, it kinda sucks Bouchard played as well as he did. Will be more expensive, and there is no capspace left.
Janmark probably gone. Bjugstad gone.
You have to hope Kostin and McLeod wont cost more than league minimum basically.
You have to create what, 5-6m to sign Bouchard? Thats Ceci and Yamamoto.
I dont think they can move Campbell..I also dont even think its the right thing to do, give him a chance to bounce back. If he doesnt, trade him early in the season.
Have to hope you get big contributions from Broberg and Holloway next year, maybe even Bourgault or someone else down the pipeline.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
It's hard man, after 30 years...

I remember watching Klima score the winner laying on my parents living room floor, and winning the cup seemed like a decent result.

I was a spoiled kid.
I feel this
I see him and McLeod forming our 3rd line. Don’t think he has what it takes to be a top 6 guy. I think Yamamoto stays somehow.
ooof that would make me sad. Yams makes too much money and we need a better 2 RW.

I agree Holloway might peak at 3rd line. But sometimes it’s hard to tell. He’s good the speed skills and determination. Only question is his finish. But people can work on their shot. Fingers crossed. I like him as a player. I assume he’s on the team full time next year

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’ve scratched my head and I don’t even know what Holland does. No prospects are close to ready to step up. We have f*** all for cap and have Bouchards extension, McLeods and like f***. I don’t even know what he does. No Keith to retire or anything. We are most likely going to have to run a worse version of this roster and HOPE someone from the minors steps up and is an improvement

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Always said Yamamoto should’ve been traded. Nice guy and all, but he’s by far one of the most useless players out there despite being gifted top 6 minutes. The amount of whiffing from him was comical to see.
Also cya Ceci. Bring in a top four d man that can actually stabilize the Nurse pairing.

Reactions: Duke74

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Always said Yamamoto should’ve been traded. Nice guy and all, but he’s by far one of the most useless players out there despite being gifted top 6 minutes. The amount of whiffing from him was comical to see.
Also cya Ceci. Bring in a top four d man that can actually stabilize the Nurse pairing.

Yeah we should dump Yamo and Ceci, but realistically we werent getting any difference makers back for them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was on the trade Kulak to save cap wagon, no more am I of that train of thought.

Keep Kulak and Desharnais (Niemelainen is the 7th D or a vet upgrade for 3RD and then Desharnais is the 7th D)

Move Foegele, Yamamoto and Ceci to free up cap and Campbell as well if he's done here and we have a clear upgrade.

Put Broberg on the market for a top 4 RHD that can play solid defensively.

Tell Nurse that he had better come back a hell of a lot better next season or you will strip him of his A.

Insert Holloway and 1 of Lavoie or Bourgault into next season's lineup. Add a veteran top 6RW so that if Lavoie and Bourgault aren't quite ready there is a fall back option better than Yamamoto or Pulju ffs.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
With a few hours to process, I feel a bit more optimistic about next year. There are some cap issues but I dont think Oilers will be worse, mostly because I cant imagine the goaltending being as bad as it was this year, I think Campbell will be better, Skinner should improve.
And then hopefully Broberg and Holloway will become impact players.

What I am most positive about though is where the other teams are at. In the east I think we are seeing a little bit of a changing of the shift. Bruins in decline, Toronto in turmoil and possible decline, Tampa in decline. Rangers is a questionmark, Devils are on the rise but also a questionmark. Buffalo and Ottawa on the rise but shouldnt exactly be contenders next year. Canes might be the biggest threat in the east going forward. Maybe Panthers.

In the West, which is more relevant, which teams are likely to improve significantly? I really dont see anyone become a much bigger threat than this year.
Dalls maybe, Oettinger and Robertson will be getting more experience. Who knows ablout flames. Vancouver wont be good enough. Seattle is a weird one, im not sure. Vegas I dont think will improve, they might stay the same. Point is, I dont feel like there is a team in the west that will become significantly more of a threat next year. And Oilers are right there.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Folks thinking (or worried) that Yamo will be back - I repeat, his buy-out is 1/3. He will be traded or bought out. They cannot afford useless $ against the cap. They took a chance on Yamo after a 20 goal season. He's not durable. He's not going to grow. He's might be playing in Europe within 2 seasons - not because he's a bad guy, but because the NHL is an extremely difficult league to succeed in. You need Gionta, Fleury, Gallagher, etc. level skill to succeed at Yamo's size. I guess Tyler Ennis managed to stick around until his 30s, but Yamo I think is destined to bounce around.

Reactions: Anarchism

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kulak outplayed Ceci, imho. If they have to move out defenseman, I guess it is Ceci who draws a short stick.
Kulak got charmin soft minutes once Ekholm was acquired. Ceci was facing tough matchups all season. Completely unfair to compare the two.

Not to mention that our LHD without Kulak is still:
Nurse
Ekholm
Broberg

Our RHD without ceci is:
Bouchard
Desharnais
….
That’s it.

It’s not like there’s a plethora of options of guys available to replace him in free agency either.

Ceci makes sense to upgrade on if you can find a way. Kulak makes sense to replace internally for cap savings.

Reactions: McDoused

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So....
Simple problems...
Goaltending inadequate....relied on a rookie that probably should be in the backup position.
Defensive problems -- need top RD stabilizer guy for Nurse and bottom pair LD quality vet as neither Broberg or Desi good enough (yet?)
Relying too much on the PP and not playing good enough at 5 on 5.
EDIT -- The overall strategy from the oilers management team during the round with Vegas not good enough...need a better hockey mind there somewhere. (not necessarily the coach)
Not enough cap space to fix things as it stands.

The answer(s) are clear but nobody can get their heads around it....
Gonna have to decide if your here for the entertainment only....or do you want to win???

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet Walters

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Folks thinking (or worried) that Yamo will be back - I repeat, his buy-out is 1/3. He will be traded or bought out. They cannot afford useless $ against the cap. They took a chance on Yamo after a 20 goal season. He's not durable. He's not going to grow. He's might be playing in Europe within 2 seasons - not because he's a bad guy, but because the NHL is an extremely difficult league to succeed in. You need Gionta, Fleury, Gallagher, etc. level skill to succeed at Yamo's size. I guess Tyler Ennis managed to stick around until his 30s, but Yamo I think is destined to bounce around.
But if we did not draft yam he would come back to haunt us, so he said the day of his draft. I look forward to the day that happens

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think we have time to screw around on Campbell - I'd just buy him out.

Skinner/BLANK tandem

Nurse-BLANK
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg
Desharnais

Would be the D for me. Ceci out, and get a two-way puckmover type that can lessen Nurse's role there to focus on being more stay-at-home - I really don't know how to handle Nurse I mean, F.

Kane-McDavid-BLANK
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-McLeod-Ryan
Holloway-BLANK-Kostin
Janmark or other under 1M depth option (maybe Josh Leivo)

Yams gone. The 4th line C has to be someone speedy who can pass and win face-offs, I wouldn't bring back Bjugstad.

I can see Lavoie finding his way onto the roster with a strong AHL start.

I do think one of my top UFA targets is Connor Brown - because of the fact he'll be cheaper than usual due to the injury. We may even get him for less money because of the McDavid connection.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I don't think we have time to screw around on Campbell - I'd just buy him out.

Skinner/BLANK tandem

Nurse-BLANK
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg
Desharnais

Would be the D for me. Ceci out, and get a two-way puckmover type that can lessen Nurse's role there to focus on being more stay-at-home - I really don't know how to handle Nurse I mean, F.

Kane-McDavid-BLANK
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-McLeod-Ryan
Holloway-BLANK-Kostin
Janmark or other under 1M depth option (maybe Josh Leivo)

Yams gone. The 4th line C has to be someone speedy who can pass and win face-offs, I wouldn't bring back Bjugstad.

I can see Lavoie finding his way onto the roster with a strong AHL start.

I do think one of my top UFA targets is Connor Brown - because of the fact he'll be cheaper than usual due to the injury. We may even get him for less money because of the McDavid connection.
The Campbell buyout notion is just not a reasonable option. Dead cap for 8 seasons? I think there needs to be a difficult discussion between the GM, coach and goalie coach regarding what happened this season.

I think there would be a soft trade market for Campbell this off-season -and that he would absolutely waive his trade protection for a change of scenery. Could you trade him with 1.5M/season retained (30% of his contract)? Maybe. The Leafs moved Mrazek. The Sens moved Murray. These things happen.

Personally, I'd just bring him back and hope that the goalie voodoo factor swings the other direction. What they could really use is a good season next year from Campbell and Skinner and then a better trade market next off-season for Campbell.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
No more buyouts. Can’t keep wasting cap space. Get creative and make some trades.

At some point, one of McDavid or Draisaitl will need to be moved to allow us to have a more balanced roster. We won’t be able to resign both.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Foegele this year was basically exactly as he was advertised when he got traded here: strong possession player who is incapable of scoring. The Carolina special. The problem is that that's also what Derek Ryan is and it's also apparently what Ryan McLeod is going to be.

It's not a terrible thing to have a bottom six line that usually doesn't get scored on but at some point you'd like one of them to get some goals.

Reactions: iCanada

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I just posted this on the mains, but imo we need the RD version of rhe Ekholm deal.

Cap is a challenge of course. We probably need to make a hard choice or two or three to make it happen

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Get a new Goaltending Coach

Try to get Hellebuyck and Pionk if the Jets are gonna rebuild.

Foegele, Ceci, McLeod, draft picks, and prospects not named Holloway are all on the table.

Reactions: iCanada

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Funnily enough Derek Ryan might be our easiest decision of the summer, it seems likely he'll want to come back and he'll likely take a 1 year deal under $1M.

Ryan was quietly solid both regular season and playoffs and gave about as much as you can reasonably expect out of a 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad