I don't get Holland. Dude over the years acquired like:

Marian Hossa

Brendan Shanahan

Igor Larionov

Wendel Clark

Chris Chelios

Dominik Hasek

Todd Bertuzzi

Yet for some reason he seems so scared to make a trade. I don't get it.

Hossa - UFA signing
Shanahan - acquired before he was GM
Larionov - acquired before he was GM
Clark - aging rental
Chelios - fair point, Holland agrees
Hasek - offseason trade
Bertuzzi - trade deadline rental(2nd time was a UFA signing)

He's made trades, but it's clearly not his preferred route. When he was hired by the Oilers, he was one of the longest serving GMs in the NHL and yet had less trades than most GMs who had been in the league for just 5 - 10 years.

He's more of an offseason UFA signing GM.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He operated without a cap for a long time. Easier to make those moves when you don’t have any restrictions. Once he had to get creative and learn to manage the cap, he has been a failure of a GM.

I mean, I see this a lot but they won a Cup post cap with him as GM and could have won two or three with some luck (2006, 2009). Those teams were good enough to win it all, one losing in the finals and the other getting goalied by the Oilers

The issue was not cutting loose two RFAs and signing Campbell instead of a cheaper option.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't think trading Jeannot means they are full on seller, he was barely a factor this season, and they clearly got an offer that they couldn't refuse.

Trading Ekholm would be a different beast altogether, I don't see it happening unless Holland vastly overpays.
They also traded neidderreiter (sp?) for a distant 2nd so of course they’re selling.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Do you really believe that?
Yeah, in terms of giving up shots from that specific area, why wouldn't I? Sure it could be that the Oilers are just so terrible defensively that every chance they give up is an absolute gimme and that's why they're goaltending numbers are so poor, but what's the simpler explanation? Especially given what we've seen from our goaltending this season?

We just watched a game where the Oilers lost due to one questionable goal. They weren't brutal defensively tonight, at least no worse than the Bruins. Skinner seems to be able to put up decent numbers behind this defence, so why are Campbell's numbers so much worse?

Again, if Campbell was putting up a .912 like Skinner, instead of an .884, let's just be generous and say that's only 4 points in the standings. Oilers would be first in the conference, and would likely have the best goal differential in the west. It would completely change how the majority of the fans here view this team.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Do you really believe that?
I do. I remember being insanely frustrated the start of the season as they were not good 5v5. It's felt way better recently.

Stats for those curious:
In the last 25 games, they are 1st in HDCA/60 (9.74) and 6th in shots against/60 (27.98) which is pretty good.

They are 23rd in 5v5 save percentage in that span. (90.76)

The first 25 games they were about 18th in HDCA/60 (11.73) and 23rd in shots against/60 (32.09) with the 22nd highest 5v5 save percentage. (91.26)

They've completed turned it around defensively 5v5, but the goaltending remains essentially the same.

They went 14-11 their first 25 and then 13-6-6 the last 25.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
A whole city is sitting amd waiting for that damn trade. Now he pretty much painted himself into a corner and have to overpay. Good luck.

2Ds out, 2 1st out, a 2nd out, Pulju out, D man in, fwd in. Call it a deadline.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
This is all conjecture. It literally hasnt mattered that Campbell has been bad this season when it comes to points. Weve lost more points when Skinner was in net and thats just a fact. I get that it doesnt support your narrative but you have to stop blaming Campbell for where the Oilers are in the standings because it's just not true. Do we want Campbell to stop sucking absolutely but we have other problems to solve that cost us points in the standings.
It matters because the goal is the stanley cup. Do you think we are getting there with sub 900 goaltending from our starter? Plus your argument is flawed. If Jack Campbell was playing even like an average starter he would not have less games played than Skinner, a raw rookie. Skinner has been forced into action because everyone and their dog can see Campbell's struggles. So yes his sub par play matters and has affected the standings. Even if he was a competent 1A playing solid in a 60/40 split we would have more points.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I was pleasantly surprised with Ceci last year. Not sure what happened to him this year. Same with Kulak. They both declined quite a bit this year.
Ceci is playing some of the toughest QoC in the league I believe. If the team could get a legit top pairing guy to partner with Nurse he’d look significantly better back being used in a second/third pairing role like he should be. Reality is he’s not a top pairing guy but he’s being asked to be which is making him look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad