Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: Movie Poster Edition IV- "Missing in Action"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This isnt true. Campbell is 17-8-4 this season. Even with his abysmal save percentage he is winning games. I'm still waiting for a counter argument that contradicts this.

Skinner on the other hand has played much better but still losing games at a higher rate with a 15-12-4 record. He hasnt received the run support and you can look at the individual games. You have to look at it game by game for Skinner. Last game he came in relief, the game was 4-4 and Edmonton outshot Columbus 23-6. Skinner was forced to make a diving save on the 5th goal and the 6th goal was a 2 on 1 from a bad pinch from Ceci. Tonight the first two goals the guy was left alone in front and the 3rd one was a lucky poke move. Our defence is clearly the issue.
I think Campbell's gotten really lucky with his record, and that if you could magically switch goalies for the games they have started, Skinner would have a better record than Campbell in those games.

I think it's fairly conservative to say that Campbell has straight up cost the Oilers at least three wins this year. That's the division lead right there. The Oilers are winning because they don't give up that many chances and have an overwhelming offence, despite receiving below average goaltending.

If Skinner was in for the Columbus game, maybe instead of that being the 5th and 6th goal, it's the 3rd and 4th goal? Campbell just isn't competitive right now, he either needs to play better or you can't keep throwing him out there.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Kenny always has a few moves up his sleeve and it tight lipped. No insider knew about his moves the last few years as the deadline.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Holland won’t trade Campbell this season, but if he costs us in the playoffs I can see him moving on in the summer/by next deadline
You think he would? Not easy to do so soon after signing him but I’d respect it a lot if he bit the bullet. Skinner will be our #1 for years, even if Campbell was doing ok we need that 5 mil.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They just traded Jeannot. Sounds like they're selling.
I don't think trading Jeannot means they are full on seller, he was barely a factor this season, and they clearly got an offer that they couldn't refuse.

Trading Ekholm would be a different beast altogether, I don't see it happening unless Holland vastly overpays.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Campbell's gotten really lucky with his record, and that if you could magically switch goalies for the games they have started, Skinner would have a better record than Campbell in those games.

I think it's fairly conservative to say that Campbell has straight up cost the Oilers at least three wins this year. That's the division lead right there. The Oilers are winning because they don't give up that many chances and have an overwhelming offence, despite receiving below average goaltending.

Absolutely he has been lucky. Winning games with a sub 900 save percentage is not sustainable. Even if he cost us some games this year (which most goalies do over the course of a 82 game season) it's not like hes leaving a whole lot of points off the board. Dont get me wrong hes been bad this year but expecting him to be 21-4-4 instead of 17-8-4 is ridiculous. We lost a lot more points with Skinner in net. So is the problem Skinner? I don't think so.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Absolutely he has been lucky. Winning games with a sub 900 save percentage is not sustainable. Even if he cost us some games this year (which most goalies do over the course of a 82 game season) it's not like hes leaving a whole lot of points off the board. Dont get me wrong hes been bad this year but expecting him to be 21-4-4 instead of 17-8-4 is ridiculous. We lost a lot more points with Skinner in net. So is the problem Skinner? I don't think so.
I'm not expecting him to go 21-4-4 going into the year, but given the run support he's gotten, do I believe an average starting goaltender given those same games could've gone 21-4-4? Absolutely. Just like if Campbell had started Skinner's games, he likely would've had a significantly worse record than Skinner.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm not expecting him to go 21-4-4 going into the year, but given the run support he's gotten, do I believe an average starting goaltender given those same games could've gone 21-4-4? Absolutely. Just like if Campbell had started Skinner's games, he likely would've had a significantly worse record than Skinner.

This is all conjecture. It literally hasnt mattered that Campbell has been bad this season when it comes to points. Weve lost more points when Skinner was in net and thats just a fact. I get that it doesnt support your narrative but you have to stop blaming Campbell for where the Oilers are in the standings because it's just not true. Do we want Campbell to stop sucking absolutely but we have other problems to solve that cost us points in the standings.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't get Holland. Dude over the years acquired like:

Marian Hossa

Brendan Shanahan

Igor Larionov

Wendel Clark

Chris Chelios

Dominik Hasek

Todd Bertuzzi

Yet for some reason he seems so scared to make a trade. I don't get it.

Reactions: BisonPrince

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is all conjecture. It literally hasnt mattered that Campbell has been bad this season when it comes to points. Weve lost more points when Skinner was in net and thats just a fact. I get that it doesnt support your narrative but you have to stop blaming Campbell for where the Oilers are in the standings because it's just not true. Do we want Campbell to stop sucking absolutely but we have other problems to solve that cost us points in the standings.
It does matter, he has still cost the Oilers points due to his below average goaltending. If you just gave Skinner all of Campbell's games this season (assuming fatigue isn't an issue and Skinner is just going to maintain his ~.910 sv%), the Oilers would have more points. That's a fact.

I'm not even blaming Campbell, I like him. He's been horrendous. I'm just don't think the team is as bad defensively as people think, because the numbers just don't support it, outside of the goaltending.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Swap Kulak and Ceci with 2 legit top 4 dmen and this team would be feasting. Just thought of Ekholm and say someone like Parayko instead of Kulak and Ceci would make this team infinitely better.

Unfortunately we blew our cap space paying Nurse and Campbell a combined 14+ million and can’t add the pieces necessary to win :facepalm:

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012

If Skinner was in for the Columbus game, maybe instead of that being the 5th and 6th goal, it's the 3rd and 4th goal? Campbell just isn't competitive right now, he either needs to play better or you can't keep throwing him out there.

I think Campell cost Edmonton around 6-8 tbh. Can recall 5 bad ones off the top of my head. Especially that seasoner opened vs Calgary

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Marian Hossa

Brendan Shanahan

Igor Larionov

Wendel Clark

Chris Chelios

Dominik Hasek

Todd Bertuzzi

He operated without a cap for a long time. Easier to make those moves when you don’t have any restrictions. Once he had to get creative and learn to manage the cap, he has been a failure of a GM.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Swap Kulak and Ceci with 2 legit top 4 dmen and this team would be feasting. Just thought of Ekholm and say someone like Parayko instead of Kulak and Ceci would make this team infinitely better.

Unfortunately we blew our cap space paying Nurse and Campbell a combined 14+ million and can’t add the pieces necessary to win :facepalm:

Ya everyone keeps saying Barrie or Bouchard has to go but honestly if we can replace find legit upgrades for Ceci and Kulak. Ceci especially, our d isn’t that bad.

Also adding a steady #3LHD to shelter Broberg would help as well

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Marian Hossa

Brendan Shanahan

Igor Larionov

Wendel Clark

Chris Chelios

Dominik Hasek

Todd Bertuzzi

So it’s been more than 15 years since he has made a significant deadline addition. What’s not to get?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Ya everyone keeps saying Barrie or Bouchard has to go but honestly if we can replace find legit upgrades for Ceci and Kulak. Ceci especially, our d isn’t that bad.

Also adding a steady #3LHD to shelter Broberg would help as well

I was pleasantly surprised with Ceci last year. Not sure what happened to him this year. Same with Kulak. They both declined quite a bit this year.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
1677563706698.png

We gotta go all in, give up whatever futures we have to.

No one knows what next year holds.

I don't care if we have to give up Holloway, 5 1st round picks, Bourgault, Broberg, or whoever.

If we aren't willing to go all in on a year like this, what are we even waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad