McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

200w.gif

Get it f***ing done.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The goaltending will look better with an actual upgrade on D.
I don't buy it, they already give up the second least high danger scoring chances in the league. They also don't give up a lot of scoring chances in general, and are actually pretty solid at preventing shots, top 10 in the league. I'm pretty sure that outside of LA and Seattle, Edmonton has the worst SV% among playoff teams. They've been sunk by poor goaltending and a below average PK, which btw, is likely due to said poor goaltending.

I could be wrong, but I think the goaltending is honestly killing this team right now, and most of that is unfortunately on Campbell.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hope that YamaNoGoal and Puljunothin' are gone by the TDL
If they aren’t, it means that Holland didn’t do anything significant

Team really needs 2 dman upgrades as well as a RW. Probably get lucky to get two of them.

Even if we do that, hopefully the goaltending holds together.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I just don't buy the idea that the Oilers are this complete tire-fire defensively when no stats outside of SV% support that.

And as I expected, again outside of LA and Seattle, our SV% on the PK is the worst of any playoff team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just don't buy the idea that the Oilers are this complete tire-fire defensively when no stats outside of SV% support that.

And as I expected, again outside of LA and Seattle, our SV% on the PK is the worst of any playoff team.

To be honest it's probably worse at this point if it's the goaltending. Because how exactly do you even propose to fix that then? Holland probably doesn't have the balls to trade Campbell and how much more can you ask of a rookie in Skinner?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't buy it, they already give up the second least high danger scoring chances in the league. They also don't give up a lot of scoring chances in general, and are actually pretty solid at preventing shots, top 10 in the league. I'm pretty sure that outside of LA and Seattle, Edmonton has the worst SV% among playoff teams. They've been sunk by poor goaltending and a below average PK, which btw, is likely due to said poor goaltending.

I could be wrong, but I think the goaltending is honestly killing this team right now, and most of that is unfortunately on Campbell.

Skinner has been a mixed bag this month, but has shown to be a good goalie. Some soft GA from both of them of late but a lot of defensive breakdowns leading to GA. I don't buy the way "scoring chances" are assigned as not every shot is created equally. Yes, location matters but there is more to it than that.

I think it's a moot point because neither of these goaltenders are being moved out

Reactions: McDoused

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Skinner has been a mixed bag this month, but has shown to be a good goalie. Some soft GA from both of them of late but a lot of defensive breakdowns leading to GA. I don't buy the way "scoring chances" are assigned as not every shot is created equally. Yes, location matters but there is more to it than that.

I think it's a moot point because neither of these goaltenders are being moved out
Even if you ignore scoring chances the Oilers are straight up just good at preventing shots on net. I'm not saying we have the best defence in the league or anything, but certainly it's good enough to win games with what is clearly the best offence in the league, if they received better goaltending.

Take last year's goaltending and put it on this team, and we're talking about which wild card team we're going to play in the first round this year.

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if you ignore scoring chances the Oilers are straight up just good at preventing shots on net. I'm not saying we have the best defence in the league or anything, but certainly it's good enough to win games with what is clearly the best offence in the league, if they received better goaltending.

Take last year's goaltending and put it on this team, and we're talking about which wild card team we're going to play in the first round this year.

Well maybe they should ask Mike Smith to start getting back on the ice. Not even joking.

Holland won’t trade Campbell this season, but if he costs us in the playoffs I can see him moving on in the summer/by next deadline

I mean well good luck finding a taker if he bombs in the playoffs, lol. Like I'm sure the phone lines will lighting up in that case.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Has he shown that?

His resume isnt nearly long enough to have proven hes a good goalie at the NHL level.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
To be honest it's probably worse at this point if it's the goaltending. Because how exactly do you even propose to fix that then? Holland probably doesn't have the balls to trade Campbell and how much more can you ask of a rookie in Skinner?
TBH I think the answer right now is to just play Skinner. Campbell has a better record than he should due to luck, but if they just stick with Skinner they should win a lot of games down the stretch, imo. Either that or Campbell just gets it going. But you can't win with an .890 goalie in today's NHL, just not gonna happen.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Has he shown that?

His resume isnt nearly long enough to have proven hes a good goalie at the NHL level.

I know you like Campbell but Skinner has been much better than him and hasn't had much run support.

Honestly, any worrying about goaltrending is moot, if these guys aren't good enough with a D upgrade it won't matter.

Holland. is. not. going. to. acquire. a. goaltender. Full stop

Reactions: ujju2

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Well maybe they should ask Mike Smith to start getting back on the ice. Not even joking.

I mean well good luck finding a taker if he bombs in the playoffs, lol. Like I'm sure the phone lines will lighting up in that case.
In before Smith comes out of LTIRetirement for the playoffs wins 16 straight games.
League awards Oilers first round pick to Calgary for for the next 10 years as clearly the oilers were circumventing the cap the whole season :sarcasm:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I honestly think they'll buy him out if he doesn't improve at all the rest of the way. You just can't spend 5 million on your backup given the current cap situation.

This is why I always argue for cheaping out on goaltending lol. Way too much variance unless you're getting one of the elite guys in the league.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016

Funny, I thought changing up his equipment was going to solve his lack of fundamentals. Maybe that's harsh, but I called bull on that earlier in the season. We should have moved on from him while he went 9-0 while just putting up average goaltending.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This isnt true. Campbell is 17-8-4 this season. Even with his abysmal save percentage he is winning games. I'm still waiting for a counter argument that contradicts this.

Skinner on the other hand has played much better but still losing games at a higher rate with a 15-12-4 record. He hasnt received the run support and you can look at the individual games. You have to look at it game by game for Skinner. Last game he came in relief, the game was 4-4 and Edmonton outshot Columbus 23-6. Skinner was forced to make a diving save on the 5th goal and the 6th goal was a 2 on 1 from a bad pinch from Ceci. Tonight the first two goals the guy was left alone in front and the 3rd one was a lucky poke move. Our defence is clearly the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad