Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie, Pederson, & Gleason clear waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I appreciate that you are trying to use comparables for valuation... I spend my days doing that. It's entirely logical.

But you aren't asking the right question. The question isn't "how much is Kostin worth in a vacuum". The question is: "how much is Kostin worth to Edmonton, and how likely is it that the counter-party knows that value?"

In this case, the answer is bounded by two things... yes, by the upper limit of how much others have had to pay for $500K x 2 worth of cap... that's a fairly aggressive position for you to take, since not all teams have that space and we needed to find one that had the space AND valued Kostin at $2M (or $2.5M net of Yamo buyout), which I'd argue is a very limited set... but we're going to let it fly for now.

But even conceding the above, the lower limit is still zero... since any GM with a brain would take one look at our VERY STRAIGHT-FORWARD offseason and conclude that:
1) Yamo must go, no matter what... unless they choose to exit contributors Foegele or Kulak
2) Bouchard would be prioritized, but only on a bridge at ~$4M if EDM is lucky and
3) Once that happens it will be a squeeze to retain RFA McLeod around $2M who surely would be the next priority and finally,
4) After that Kostin walks anyway... He is entirely an afterthought, zero room at any reasonable price and EDM will be lucky to find NHL caliber players at league minimum to fill out a 21-man roster with a few 100K to spare.

Which is exactly what we executed on... to the surprise of no one except maybe the pessimistic GM's who were taking the under on whether we could even get Bouchard and McLeod under contract for less than $6.5M... these were not slam dunk contracts.

SHOULD we have done anything more than that? And if we did, would it make Kostin a priority to Edmonton? Kostin over Kulak? Kostin over paying assets to shed Foegele? Not obvious answers, to be sure.

This is a player we got for nothing. He performed in a perfect situation for himself. He gets paid elsewhere. Everything else is just noise and a distraction from the priorities of the EDMONTON OILERS.

And if you want to continue to lament his loss, offer up the realistic sacrifice you would have made to keep him. You need to shed an extra $1M from the current 21-man roster. And what will THAT cost you? Is it still worth it... for Kostin?
I disagree with your premise. The market value of an asset is determined by the market, you look at comps in the market, you determine what that asset is worth. It's this way for Homes, Cars, and hockey players. For hockey players, you'd look for similar types of players and see what they are traded at to come to a estimation of market value as best as you can. From there a GM can either obtain that market value or get less or get more. That depends on negotiations. And this ability or lackthereof should be what GMs are evaluated on. So while a GM may TRY to use our situation as leverage in a deal, there is nothing forcing Holland to take that deal, there's no gun to his head no matter how dour our situation looks, he has options, more options that you may be giving him credit for.

For example, he wouldn't have NEEDED to find ONE team that could take on Kostin's cap AND Yamo's buy out in one transaction. That's just how Holland did the deal (seemingly out of convenience). He very well could have traded them separately. One deal for Yamo's buyout. One deal for Kostin's services. Your telling me that would have been hard to find? A team that wouldn't mind a draft pick for 500k cap space? There's plenty of rebuilding teams in this League with cap space and we've seen dozens of these types of deals in the flat cap era. And a team that wouldn't want a good player in their bottom 6 at 2M? There are many teams who wouldn't mind Kostin's size, skill, and willingness to fight in their bottom 6. Edmonton is one of them if we had the cap space. These two small deals shouldn't be some impossible hill for a GM to climb, if it is, that GM has issues.

I don't really agree that we were lucky to get Bouch and McCleod at their prices either. Lots may have been saying we'd be lucky to get Bouch at under 5M or 6M even before he signed, but i never really agreed with that. All it took was comps like Byram, Miller, Hronek to determine that Bouch's market value should be around 4M. And that's where we signed him. And McCleod signed around his market value too. We didn't luck out on these contracts, we got them at market value and used comps to determine that value.

The issue of whether Holland got market value for Yamo/Kostin is different from the issue of whether we should have kept Kostin. In my posts today, I've only griped about the value of that trade. My point is that Holland could have and should have gotten more Kostin. While I do think we should have kept Kostin, it's not really the point im trying to make with my posts today but if we are going to go down that road, as an example we could have simply traded Mcleod to fit Kostin in. Could also have traded Foegele as a cap dump for buy out purposes, that would have cost us probably a 3rd round pick. That's not too costly. I'd consider it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I disagree with your premise. The market value of an asset is determined by the market, you look at comps in the market, you determine what that asset is worth. It's this way for Homes, Cars, and hockey players. For hockey players, you'd look for similar types of players and see what they are traded at to come to a estimation of market value as best as you can. From there a GM can either obtain that market value or get less or get more. That depends on negotiations. And this ability or lackthereof should be what GMs are evaluated on. So while a GM may TRY to use our situation as leverage in a deal, there is nothing forcing Holland to take that deal, there's no gun to his head no matter how dour our situation looks, he has options, more options that you may be giving him credit for.

For example, he wouldn't have NEEDED to find ONE team that could take on Kostin's cap AND Yamo's buy out in one transaction. That's just how Holland did the deal (seemingly out of convenience). He very well could have traded them separately. One deal for Yamo's buyout. One deal for Kostin's services. Your telling me that would have been hard to find? A team that wouldn't mind a draft pick for 500k cap space? There's plenty of rebuilding teams in this League with cap space and we've seen dozens of these types of deals in the flat cap era. And a team that wouldn't want a good player in their bottom 6 at 2M? There are many teams who wouldn't mind Kostin's size, skill, and willingness to fight in their bottom 6. Edmonton is one of them if we had the cap space. These two small deals shouldn't be some impossible hill for a GM to climb, if it is, that GM has issues.

I don't really agree that we were lucky to get Bouch and McCleod at their prices either. Lots may have been saying we'd be lucky to get Bouch at under 5M or 6M even before he signed, but i never really agreed with that. All it took was comps like Byram, Miller, Hronek to determine that Bouch's market value should be around 4M. And that's where we signed him. And McCleod signed around his market value too. We didn't luck out on these contracts, we got them at market value and used comps to determine that value.

The issue of whether Holland got market value for Yamo/Kostin is different from the issue of whether we should have kept Kostin. In my posts today, I've only griped about the value of that trade. My point is that Holland could have and should have gotten more Kostin. While I do think we should have kept Kostin, it's not really the point im trying to make with my posts today but if we are going to go down that road, as an example we could have simply traded Mcleod to fit Kostin in. Could also have traded Foegele as a cap dump for buy out purposes, that would have cost us probably a 3rd round pick. That's not too costly. I'd consider it.
You are basically complaining about essentially losing what, a 5th or 6th round pick at best for value?
Moving Yamamoto would have cost what a 3rd probably a 4th? Yes it’s only 500k but it’s still a buyout slot. We could have gotten what a 3rd or 4th for Kostin??
It would have been a wash.
Why would we trade McLeod, a better player to keep Kostin? Why would we move Foegele, a better player to keep Kostin?
Kostin is a 4th liner.

Value wise we lost almost nothing at best. At worst we lost the equivalent of like a 5th or 6th round pick.

Reactions: K1984 and GOilers88

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Of course, I must have forgot all the great 4th liners we've easily acquired....

Brodziak
Pakarinen
Reider
Caggilua
Chiasson
Haas
Nygard
Granlund
Khaira
Archibald
Kahun
Turris
Scevior

Who needs Kostin when you got these gems.
You’ve literally talked about moving 3rd liners so we could fit a 4th liner.

Edit: Statistically…Kostin was our worst forward in almost every stat as a regular skater and had far and away the best PDO on his team. He isn’t close to being worth 2mill.

Reactions: capazzo

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You are basically complaining about essentially losing what, a 5th or 6th round pick at best for value?
Moving Yamamoto would have cost what a 3rd probably a 4th? Yes it’s only 500k but it’s still a buyout slot. We could have gotten what a 3rd or 4th for Kostin??
It would have been a wash.
Why would we trade McLeod, a better player to keep Kostin? Why would we move Foegele, a better player to keep Kostin?
Kostin is a 4th liner.

Value wise we lost almost nothing at best. At worst we lost the equivalent of like a 5th or 6th round pick.
I'm basically saying that Holland lost value in the Yamo/Kostin trade. I never said he lost lots of value. I outlaid pretty specifically how much value I think was left on the table. It's only a wash if you think Kostin has no value or near to no value, I disagree with that cause I don't think he's just some easily replaceable 4th liner. I note your disagreement on Kostin as a player though. We'll find out soon if Yzerman made a smart bet.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You’ve literally talked about moving 3rd liners so we could fit a 4th liner.

Edit: Statistically…Kostin was our worst forward in almost every stat as a regular skater and had far and away the best PDO on his team. He isn’t close to being worth 2mill.
Considering Foegele's no shows in the playoffs, mostly timid physical play, and rapidly vanishing ceiling, yeh I think I would strongly consider moving a "3rd liner" in Foegele to fit in a "4th liner" in Kostin. Almost every stat? What about Hits and Points? Did you consider that he played less games than some of those that got more points than him. He pretty much produced at the same pace as McCleod, and he hits more and fights more than McCleod. He also produced some clutch points in the playoffs, I think he should get credit in his valuation for that. I don't think the 2M evaluation is far off from what he's worth.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Considering Foegele's no shows in the playoffs, mostly timid physical play, and rapidly vanishing ceiling, yeh I think I would strongly consider moving a "3rd liner" in Foegele to fit in a "4th liner" in Kostin. Almost every stat? What about Hits and Points? Did you consider that he played less games than some of those that got more points than him. He pretty much produced at the same pace as McCleod, and he hits more and fights more than McCleod. He also produced some clutch points in the playoffs, I think he should get credit in his valuation for that. I don't think the 2M evaluation is far off from what he's worth.
He had a massively high PDO and got lucky with his offence.
Okay so he hits more than McLeod (you keep purposely spelling his name wrong, it’s weird) but he is worse than him in pretty much every other aspect of the game.
You do realize that Kostin isn’t even one of Detroits 12 best forwards right and will most likely be their 13th guy?
A 2m valuation on a guy who had a high PdO year but was bad otherwise other than fighting is the kind of dumb moves GMs make and teams regret

“Foegeles no show in the playoffs” what are you talking about? He was a bit snake bit but him and his line had incredible advanced stats and were possession beasts.

Kostin is just another in a long list of players that fans latch onto that will continue to have a meh or nothing career.

Reactions: Homesick

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He had a massively high PDO and got lucky with his offence.
Okay so he hits more than McLeod (you keep purposely spelling his name wrong, it’s weird) but he is worse than him in pretty much every other aspect of the game.
You do realize that Kostin isn’t even one of Detroits 12 best forwards right and will most likely be their 13th guy?
A 2m valuation on a guy who had a high PdO year but was bad otherwise other than fighting is the kind of dumb moves GMs make and teams regret

“Foegeles no show in the playoffs” what are you talking about? He was a bit snake bit but him and his line had incredible advanced stats and were possession beasts.

Kostin is just another in a long list of players that fans latch onto that will continue to have a meh or nothing career.
I think his PDO can be explained by his legit good shot and a bit of opportunism in his game. And yeh probably some luck. But not fully explained by luck.

I'm not spelling his name wrong on purpose, did I mangle it typing too fast? I had the same issue with Kieth lol UMMM KEITH. I like McLeod, he's a better skater and play maker than Kostin, I think Kostin has him on physicality and shooting ability by a sizeable margin though. In any case, I brought up McLeod only to show you that Kostin wasn't the worst in every stat like you said. I'd much consider moving Foegele before him by quite a bit.

No point in talking about Detroit's line up until the season starts or even just wait till training camp is over to see how their lineup shakes out. I doubt Yzerman is paying 2.5M for a 13th forward. In Yzerman's own words, he envisions Kostin having more opportunity in Detroit than he had in Edmonton. I'm not an expert on Detroit's lineup, so I'll take his word for it until I see otherwise.

Yes, Foegele's no show in the playoffs. I'm surprised you saw his performances differently actually. He quite literally no showed the 1st run posting 0 goals and 1 Assist in 13 Games. And it's not like he generated much chances during that run or did much of anything in the physicality department. He was better on the 2nd run though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
No we couldn’t. But it was only 500k x 2 to buy out Yams. Yams still found a job at 1.5M. Watching how this trade went down on the Drop, I really wonder if Holland had properly shopped Yams or Kostin. He seemed dead set on dealing with Yzerman.
you do realize we are over the cap right now? we could not afford another 500k on top of it. Yams was on 3 mill a year and was clearly over paid and this was a Holland deal---that is what causes me concerns.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Maybe but Seattle signing him shows he had some value. His draft position and established production in the League should give him some value. Kostin for sure had some value. I don’t think Holland got the best deal possible for the players.
Yamamoto had no value because you are not just trading the player, you are trading the contract. Moreover, the window to make this deal was short since a buyout had to be the result or it made little sense.

Kostin may well have been tradable in a separate deal. But with an extremely tight cap almost across the League and a $2M+ contract demand no one was going to give the Oilers much of anything. He has almost no sustained track record as anything more than a tweener at the NHL level. Teams will look at his results last year and see that he had one very hot stretch of nine games where he scored 7 of his 11 goals playing with Nuge followed by 2 in 28 playing with typical bottom sixer's and ask which is the player they are getting. This is a guy who has no sustained record as a goal scorer at the professional level or in fact since he was a 16 year old. And I am on record as being very pro Kostin!

It is of course possible that had Holland made separate deals that he could have come out with a very slight plus on the assets. The bigger possibility would have been that he would have had to pay to dump Yamamoto and would have gotten less back or maybe even nothing for an unsigned Kostin as teams used up their cap space or went another direction on July 1.

The bottom line is that had the cap gone to $87.5M as it almost did the chances are that the Oilers would have paid Kostin his $2M and been happy about it. But once the cap was set at $83.5M players like Kositin became much less valuable as a tradable asset.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Jeannot is more of a known commodity, and had that 24 goal season tantalizing other teams. Not saying Kostin doesn't have value, I guess we'll just have to disagree as to how much in todays cap world of hockey.
The Jeannot trade was predicated on his physical play and his 24 goal season. But the deal was also an insanely stupid trade. That said Tampa could partly justify it because they saw him as a key missing piece to another cup win given their team had been physically overmatched by a number of teams that they could be playing in the playoffs. They also know that they are a highly desirable location for free agents so they can refill the cupboards much more easily than other teams. Nashville did not want to move Jeannot unless they got a massive overpay, which is what they got. I'd say that this is one of the most one sided trades in the last decade.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think his PDO can be explained by his legit good shot and a bit of opportunism in his game. And yeh probably some luck. But not fully explained by luck.

I'm not spelling his name wrong on purpose, did I mangle it typing too fast? I had the same issue with Kieth lol UMMM KEITH. I like McLeod, he's a better skater and play maker than Kostin, I think Kostin has him on physicality and shooting ability by a sizeable margin though. In any case, I brought up McLeod only to show you that Kostin wasn't the worst in every stat like you said. I'd much consider moving Foegele before him by quite a bit.

No point in talking about Detroit's line up until the season starts or even just wait till training camp is over to see how their lineup shakes out. I doubt Yzerman is paying 2.5M for a 13th forward. In Yzerman's own words, he envisions Kostin having more opportunity in Detroit than he had in Edmonton. I'm not an expert on Detroit's lineup, so I'll take his word for it until I see otherwise.

Yes, Foegele's no show in the playoffs. I'm surprised you saw his performances differently actually. He quite literally no showed the 1st run posting 0 goals and 1 Assist in 13 Games. And it's not like he generated much chances during that run or did much of anything in the physicality department. He was better on the 2nd run though.
This amazing shot he has, has yet to produce even close to the same shooting % if you’re using real sample sizes and not one of 4 games.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I appreciate that you are trying to use comparables for valuation... I spend my days doing that. It's entirely logical.

But you aren't asking the right question. The question isn't "how much is Kostin worth in a vacuum". The question is: "how much is Kostin worth to Edmonton, and how likely is it that the counter-party knows that value?"

In this case, the answer is bounded by two things... yes, by the upper limit of how much others have had to pay for $500K x 2 worth of cap... that's a fairly aggressive position for you to take, since not all teams have that space and we needed to find one that had the space AND valued Kostin at $2M (or $2.5M net of Yamo buyout), which I'd argue is a very limited set... but we're going to let it fly for now.

But even conceding the above, the lower limit is still zero... since any GM with a brain would take one look at our VERY STRAIGHT-FORWARD offseason and conclude that:
1) Yamo must go, no matter what... unless they choose to exit contributors Foegele or Kulak
2) Bouchard would be prioritized, but only on a bridge at ~$4M if EDM is lucky and
3) Once that happens it will be a squeeze to retain RFA McLeod around $2M who surely would be the next priority and finally,
4) After that Kostin walks anyway... He is entirely an afterthought, zero room at any reasonable price and EDM will be lucky to find NHL caliber players at league minimum to fill out a 21-man roster with a few 100K to spare.

Which is exactly what we executed on... to the surprise of no one except maybe the pessimistic GM's who were taking the under on whether we could even get Bouchard and McLeod under contract for less than $6.5M... these were not slam dunk contracts.

SHOULD we have done anything more than that? And if we did, would it make Kostin a priority to Edmonton? Kostin over Kulak? Kostin over paying assets to shed Foegele? Not obvious answers, to be sure.

This is a player we got for nothing. He performed in a perfect situation for himself. He gets paid elsewhere. Everything else is just noise and a distraction from the priorities of the EDMONTON OILERS.

And if you want to continue to lament his loss, offer up the realistic sacrifice you would have made to keep him. You need to shed an extra $1M from the current 21-man roster. And what will THAT cost you? Is it still worth it... for Kostin?
Imagine if the prime Crosby penguins tried to cough up money for all the cheap guys they cycled through over their cup years. Things would have been different for them.

This is what contending teams tend to do, imo. Find cheap, productive depth, then move on from them before they earn their raises somewhere else. Then fill those spots either internally or with some other random, cheap depth. We can all argue about whether or not we think the Oilers have any depth or not, but that’s a whole other topic of debate.

I also agree with your thoughts on the worth to specific teams. Players are worth more or less to different teams. Just looking at “market” value for players and saying that’s what they’re worth to all 32 teams is off. Like, is Corey Perry worth 4 million to everyone because that’s what he got on the open market? A gritty bottom sixer with size and cup winning experience is something everyone is always looking for when it comes time for a run. Barclays Goodrow is another good example.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe but Seattle signing him shows he had some value. His draft position and established production in the League should give him some value. Kostin for sure had some value. I don’t think Holland got the best deal possible for the players.
He had value at near league minimum salary, not 3.1m. It's pretty simple really.

Obviously I'm a Kostin fan but he wasn't getting 2m here so since they were losing him anyway and had a guy in Holloway to fill that role, it was probably worth it to attach him (instead of a higher pick) to dump Yamamoto. Not a good trade but a necessary one.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's why the trade was done, and there's value in cap space but it still doesn't make it a good trade value wise. But I guess that will come down to how you evaluate the players.

Put it to you this way:

How much do you think Kostin @ 2M is worth on the market? With his good showing for the Oilers in the regular season and playoffs, his 1st round draft pedigree, his rareness as a player type with this size and speed and willingness to fight, I think he's worth atleast a 2nd round pick, probably more.
No he's not, just stop this already. Just ridiculous if you think that and, again, I'm a Kostin fan but also live in a realistic world. Nobody is paying a 2nd+ to pay an unproven Kostin $2M, no way no how not in this flat cap world.

You're killing me lately. First by saying that Holland should have signed Larsson despite Larsson himself saying that he wanted a fresh start elsewhere then saying that Yamamoto at his former salary had value and now Kostin is worth a 2nd or "probably more". Please, stop with the madness, you're giving me (all of HFOil) a headache haha.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Guys news flash: KOSTIN is not that good just like Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, GlenCurtis.

I could go on. Get off of this.

This is crazy

Just did a search for “Kostin” on the website. One mention in HF Redwings that he’s probably the 13th forward. Not in their lineup tonight.

Other 477 posts are from HF Oil.

I might start reading HF Redwings to see if there is any Oilers discussion not mentioning Kostin.
That's just sad. Some people on HFOil are nearing the stupidity level

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I hope Kostin is good, maybe he goes on to score 25+ this season. But he wasn't going to sign here at a number that the team could realistically make work. Sometimes a player and team just go their separate ways, I think Kostin took an opportunity that could work out for him financially, or he could end up regretting it if he struggles in Detroit.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This is how it will go down:

1) Has a bad season: many Kostin boosters MIA, rest of the board mentions it once or twice

2) Has a good season: many Kostin boosters post the same thing a million times boasting their superior hockey knowledge and chastise the rest of the board in every thread until next season

3) Has an average season: many Kostin boosters overemphasize how “good” his season was and make every thread about him

I mean, I like Kostin but there is no way he was the right fit here for what he signed for with Detroit
100%

Yamo scored 2 goals the other night. I never even bothered reading the comments. There would be lots of Debbie Downers on the site saying how bad it was to get rid of Yamo and he will haunt us. I still read about Bear .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kostin has to be attacked because he didn't follow the company line and take a 800k less than what he was able to get (as if any reasonable person in his situation would do that).

If the Oilers hadn't blown so much money on Nurse and Campbell and Foegele also is about 600-700k overpaid himself ... if we didn't have those cap issues from those bad contracts and could pay Kostin 2 million, no one on this board would be saying shit.

They'd be happy to have him back. You wouldn't hear one peep about it, but because Holland has made several poor cap gambles, Kostin is the one that gets blamed for simply wanting to get paid in line with players he scored at the same rate as (like McLeod).

If we had the extra 1 million in cap space lying around he'd be signed and on the roster and people here would be ready to cheer him on.

You don't have to kiss the management's ass all the time and run damage control for them on everything. It's so blatantly transparent.

We do have too many players that blow glorious scoring chances because their shot release is sub par. We do have a lack of grit and size in our bottom 6. We do have "support players" that have a tendency to go invisible in more intense games. Kostin was a nice change of pace in all of those areas.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Would be interested to see what the reaction would be if we re-signed Kostin to 2x2 and see him flop while being in an impossible cap situation. And/or trading Mcleod to accommodate him, which is pure lunacy IMO.

I like Kostin, like what he did last year, but you can see "regression" coming from a mile away on this player. He shot the lights out this year, and that is very likely going to come back to earth. He'll still be an effective crash and bang 4th liner, but you can't pay a guy $2M with term in our cap situation if he can't PK, plays shitty defense, and probably won't produce much offense. We just had that player in Kassian.

Kostin has to be attacked because he didn't follow the company line and take a 800k less than what he was able to get (as if any reasonable person in his situation would do that).

If the Oilers hadn't blown so much money on Nurse and Campbell and Foegele also is about 600-700k overpaid himself ... if we didn't have those cap issues from those bad contracts and could pay Kostin 2 million, no one on this board would be saying shit.

They'd be happy to have him back. You wouldn't hear one peep about it, but because Holland has made several poor cap gambles, Kostin is the one that gets blamed for simply wanting to get paid in line with players he scored at the same rate as (like McLeod).

If we had the extra 1 million in cap space lying around he'd be signed and on the roster and people here would be ready to cheer him on.

You don't have to kiss the management's ass all the time and run damage control for them on everything. It's so blatantly transparent.

We do have too many players that blow glorious scoring chances because their shot release is sub par. We do have a lack of grit and size in our bottom 6. We do have "support players" that have a tendency to go invisible in more intense games. Kostin was a nice change of pace in all of those areas.

If my aunty had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But we aren’t talking about moving Yamo the player and his 3.1M contract. We are talking about moving Yamos buy out of a measly 500K x 2. NYI paid a 2nd for Chicago to take on 1.9M x 2 of buyout cap. You’re telling me Holland couldn’t have found a taker for that buyout when it’s only a measly 500K?
He did find a taker. And the cost was a 4th liner who is weak defensively, can’t PK and had an overachieved offensive year where most of his offence came in a few games who either wanted $2mill or was going back home to Russia.

He found the taker, and the cost was minimal.

That's why the trade was done, and there's value in cap space but it still doesn't make it a good trade value wise. But I guess that will come down to how you evaluate the players.

Put it to you this way:

How much do you think Kostin @ 2M is worth on the market? With his good showing for the Oilers in the regular season and playoffs, his 1st round draft pedigree, his rareness as a player type with this size and speed and willingness to fight, I think he's worth atleast a 2nd round pick, probably more.

How much do you think Yam's buyout is worth at 500k x 2? Well it cost New York only a 2026 2nd round pick to send Bailey to Chicago for a Buyout of 2.66M x 1 and 1.166M x 1. So at most a 500K x 2 buyout of Yamo is worth what? A 3rd at the most? And that's probably being generous.

So we shipped out a guy worth atleast a 2nd and got back atmost a 3rd round pick worth of value. And that's be being generous.
Kostin isn’t worth even close to a second, BETTER players weren’t qualified and became UFAs. I’m what world is an analytically poor 4th liner worth a 2nd to anyone but bad GMs who just look at a what, 10 game heater and go “potential”.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I love laughing at what a mess Anaheim is. A week into camp, they’ve got plenty of cap space and two of their most important players not signed.

You love to see it.

It’s almost as funny as Ottawa’s situation. Seems like the last year or so people have been praising what a great job Dorian has done with Ottawa. But they’re capped out to the point they can’t even sign a young 20 goal guy and the monster deal they just signed Sanderson to hasn’t even kicked in yet. And they are a team that hasn’t even sniffed the playoffs. What a great job.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I love people here are now ripping on Kostin. When the regular season starts and the Oilers cannot forecheck shxxx with thier 3rd of 4th lines and keep possession, then let's see what happens. Kostin brought a unique skillset to the Oilers.

People be expecting fairies like Pederson, Gagner, Sutter, etc to forecheck and keep possession. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad