Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Ken Holland's Day Off"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Looking at the numbers not really? We aren’t allowing a ton of high quality chances overall

We know there are times when statistics are misleading, I think this one of those times. Who honestly believes this team doesn't give up a lot of chances?

Either that are or those numbers are heavily skewed by the Desharnais bump, because without him in the lineup the Oilers GA and record is franky mediocre.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Damn if you think Chychren is a #3 name 66 better dmen than him.

Also, does it matter? What's Broberg then? An AHL tweener? We can't trade thst and magic beans for a defenseman who can play over 20 minutes a night against tough competition?

Any GM who says they are in win now mode but does not make that trade is horrible. Truth is Holland probably makes thst trade but Arizona doesn't want anyone less than Bouchard would be my guess. Which is why the 2 firsts are probably all we can offer.

But hey, why make a winning team when we can squeek into the playoffs and maybe a series of we can score 7 goals a game

Just because there may not be 66 better then him doesn't make him a top d man. Is Nurse a 1st pairing? Nope but he the best we got so we overpaid and put him on the top pairing. I really Nurse is also a #3. By this logic RNH is a #1 C . Name 32 C better then him. Also there are only 32 team so it would be 64.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looking at the numbers not really? We aren’t allowing a ton of high quality chances overall
The numbers tell you that Leon Draisaitl is 40% away from 97 this season and McDavid is barely outscoring the opposition when he's in the ice.

The eye test tells you that we're giving up close to a goal a game just off of our NZ turnovers because our stretch pass breakout strategy is well defended by our opponents and poorly executed by our roster.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The numbers tell you that Leon Draisaitl is 40% away from 97 this season and McDavid is barely outscoring the opposition when he's in the ice.

The eye test tells you that we're giving up close to a goal a game just off of our NZ turnovers because our stretch pass breakout strategy is well defended by our opponents and poorly executed by our roster.
And the numbers are saying the other lines have been quite good defensively this year.

If what you are saying is true then it’s a strategy error that can be easily fixed if the coaching staff addresses it.

I am in no way saying the team is great. I think we need an upgrade on one of Ceci/Barrie and ideally Campbell replaced with a better goalie. And maybe a good right shot bottom 6 center that can Pk and take draws. This team has flaws for sure but people saying we have one of the worst defences in the league are simply out to lunch because no metric shows that unless you want to argue that Campbell is a fantastic goalie.

Reactions: Macblender

Macblender

May 5, 2014
And the numbers are saying the other lines have been quite good defensively this year.

If what you are saying is true then it’s a strategy error that can be easily fixed if the coaching staff addresses it.

I am in no way saying the team is great. I think we need an upgrade on one of Ceci/Barrie and ideally Campbell replaced with a better goalie. And maybe a good right shot bottom 6 center that can Pk and take draws. This team has flaws for sure but people saying we have one of the worst defences in the league are simply out to lunch because no metric shows that unless you want to argue that Campbell is a fantastic goalie.
I honestly don’t think woodcroft has shown the ability to adjust. He comes from the mclellan school of coaching and just defaults. Then he has fallen in love with the load the top line approach.

In the playoffs and last season we were most dangerous when mcdavid and drai were on different lines paired with a strong winger. You then get like 36 minutes of a top flight center running the other team down which is hard to match. Even harder when the nuge line matches 3rd lines

Reactions: Kerberos

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I mean the Oilers goals for literally tells you they are one of the bottom 12 teams in the league for highest goals against.

They have one of the worst d corps of any contender, how many contenders would you say the Oilers have a better d corps than? I would trade Nurse/Ceci for basically every top pairing on from Colorado, Vegas, Minny, Winnipeg, Dallas, LA, Nashville, etc.

Frankly they've been playing run n' gun, who cares about defence for a while too ... this isn't some new thing that you can blame Jack Campbell strictly for.

In the playoffs they some how made the Conference Finals allowing even a higher GA than they do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad