Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Ken Holland's Day Off"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland's report card overall would be

Forwards: B, I mean this is the easiest area to build on because you have McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH to start with, Hyman was a good add. Kane was a fluke, but fine. Yamamoto and Puljujarvi and the inability to get a better 3C are large mistakes.

Defence: D-, can't hold a lead, mind numbingly stupid mistakes every game, gets eaten by Colorado and other top teams like the Rangers. Cody Ceci on your top pair. No physicality, Woodcroft had to bring in Desharnais (not one of Holland's finds) to finally have some what of a net clearing presence. Embarrassing when your GM can't get anyone better than after 4 years on the job.

Goaltending: D-, Campbell has been a terrible signing, the year prior letting it ride again on Koskinen/Smith almost sank the team. We would be in a load of trouble if Skinner had not stepped up.

Cap management: D, RNH deal was nice, but immediately offset by terrible deals for Nurse and Campbell. Yamamoto and Puljujarvi eating up 6 million in cap, team isn't able to ice a full roster on many nights because the GM refuses to waive Puljujarvi.

Overall grade: C-

It's not really a great grade, unfortunately for Holland defence and goaltending are kinda part of the game. You can't just win playing pond hockey.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
3 out of these four seasons he paced at worst for 56 pts.
I think he would do better with the Oilers personally. 60 pts isn't out of the realm of possibility at all.
Not off topic, when is the last time McLeod threw a bloody body check ?

I actually saw McLeod cover the high slot against Pittsburgh, one time, and almost did a spit take.

I remember one positive play that this player is woefully inefficient at and took note of it hoping he is actually improving. Kind of ridiculous at this juncture.

The easiest way to improve the Edmonton Oilers is to replace McLeod. Many of the defensive issues aka goaltending issues would miraculously melt away.

McLeod as third-line center is a losing strategy. I think it's the Oilers number one problem.

Maybe Woodcroft can't teach. He had McLeod in Bakersfield.
Why are your evaluations always so freaking bad?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Zach Dean going back to St Louis, thats a pretty big give
That is a very good get for St. Louis.

Course Vegas is an attractive re-signing destination for Russians who hockey so it is a reasonable risk reward on a UFA. Unlike fellow comrades like Gavrikov who openly state they won't resign in Canada. This time of year not all NHL destinations are created equal trying to chase down UFA types for returns.

Reactions: TB12

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
All great defensive teams dictate the flow of the game. Every shot on net is expected and becomes a routine. Placement of the shot and timing of the shot. That's when you see elite goaltending and that's how the great goaltenders are created.

Teams that win consecutive games by one goal or go on streaks winning in OT, regular overtime like we get in the playoffs, is amazing to watch. It's strategy of the game at the highest level.
What does any of this have to do with McLeod? I have no idea how you can claim that flipping McLeod for any available third line center will turn the Oilers into some sort of defensive machine. This is fantasy stuff.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Not off topic, when is the last time McLeod threw a bloody body check ?

I actually saw McLeod cover the high slot against Pittsburgh, one time, and almost did a spit take.

I remember one positive play that this player is woefully inefficient at and took note of it hoping he is actually improving. Kind of ridiculous at this juncture.

The easiest way to improve the Edmonton Oilers is to replace McLeod. Many of the defensive issues aka goaltending issues would miraculously melt away.

McLeod as third-line center is a losing strategy. I think it's the Oilers number one problem.

Maybe Woodcroft can't teach. He had McLeod in Bakersfield.
Is he as bad as Hyman?

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
HFBoards to Holland:
200w.gif

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You were way off base on Hyman, now McLeod is your new pet project to be wrong about.
I was not, the player has improved greatly from last regular season when I was critical.

You sure have a memory on you.

And McLeod sucks as a center, at least on a team expected to compete in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad