Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: Cap Gymnastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
And for those exact same reason, it doesn't make any sense for the Canucks. Why the hell would they make that trade?

And they do need someone to protect Petterson. He's already taken 2 cheapshots that resulted in injuries.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Lucic just wants out(FWIW I don't blame him) and doesn't really care at this point.

He would probably take Ottawa.

I think he wants out too. I do blame him though because he is part of the problem with this team. I dont wish anything bad on the person though, and hopefully he can find success somewhere else and it doesnt cost us an arm and a leg to move him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think he wants out too. I do blame him though because he is part of the problem with this team. I dont wish anything bad on the person though, and hopefully he can find success somewhere else and it doesnt cost us an arm and a leg to move him.
If Lucic played with any heart at all we might not be in this position. My girlfriend who has no hockey knowledge at all was watching a game with me this season and said "look at #27 he's not even moving." His effort level is so pathetic.. 100% blame on him.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If Lucic played with any heart at all we might not be in this position. My girlfriend who has no hockey knowledge at all was watching a game with me this season and said "look at #27 he's not even moving." His effort level is so pathetic.. 100% blame on him.

Not what I meant at all. I won't defend Lucic's on ice performance and I doubt that that would be possible if I even wanted to.

I don't blame him for being done here mentally. It's time for both sides of that relationship to move on.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Uncle Benning will want nephew Benning to balance the Lucic/Eriksson swap

The Oilers are going to need to find a way to work in players like Bouchard and Jones next season. Both are an upgrade on Benning in the bottom pairing.

Regarding Erickson...I havent paid any attention at all to his play recently.
I get that he is overpaid but is he at least useful?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers are going to need to find a way to work in players like Bouchard and Jones next season. Both are an upgrade on Benning in the bottom pairing.

Regarding Erickson...I havent paid any attention at all to his play recently.
I get that he is overpaid but is he at least useful?
Having two rookies in the lineup is a recipe for disaster. Bouchard clearly wasn't ready for the big show last year, but suddenly he is now?

As much as I don't like the current defense, if you're going to change it, put in some vet upgrades on what's there and clear salary.

Reactions: joestevens29

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Katz just needs to entice him to go away . Give his wife a job on the board of governs at 6 million a year for 4 years . She doesn't have to even show up . Waive Lucic for the purpose of termination of his contract

And the Oilers lose the next 5 1st round picks and the $10,000,000 fine for cap circumvention.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Perfect. Hopefully Vancouver is dumb enough to think Lucic actually protects anyone

Thing is, Lucic never had to protect anyone because we had our guy in Kassian and Maroon before Lucic. In some ways, I think he felt his role as a 'protector' wasn't needed because he probably saw these 2 gooning it up when needed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Thing is, Lucic never had to protect anyone because we had our guy in Kassian and Maroon before Lucic. In some ways, I think he felt his role as a 'protector' wasn't needed because he probably saw these 2 gooning it up when needed.

No there was defiantly times when Lucic was on the ice and there was a scrum and he did nothing.

I dont buy into the "protector" role pretty much at all. But regardless, there were times when it was needed or warranted and he did nothing

Lucic has played with about zero heart and grit for 3 years now. If he was small and Russian, fans would be calling for his head. Zero intensity to his game. He is ready to get out of here, and we should make his wish come true

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No there was defiantly times when Lucic was on the ice and there was a scrum and he did nothing.

I dont buy into the "protector" role pretty much at all. But regardless, there were times when it was needed or warranted and he did nothing

Lucic has played with about zero heart and grit for 3 years now. If he was small and Russian, fans would be calling for his head. Zero intensity to his game. He is ready to get out of here, and we should make his wish come true
Fans have been calling for his head for quite some time

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I prefer keeping Lucic over trading him for Eriksson. Not unless we have an LTIR option on Eriksson somehow

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I prefer keeping Lucic over trading him for Eriksson. Not unless we have an LTIR option on Eriksson somehow
We don't have an LTIR option on Lucic either, that's just everyone's wishful thinking that his back condition will somehow eventually make him retire. If anything, Eriksson has shown more potential to be on LTIR than Lucic has. Eriksson has missed more time the last three years than Lucic has in his entire career.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We don't have an LTIR option on Lucic either, that's just everyone's wishful thinking that his back condition will somehow eventually make him retire. If anything, Eriksson has shown more potential to be on LTIR than Lucic has. Eriksson has missed more time the last three years than Lucic has in his entire career.
honestly I don't think either have LTIR potential, really. They're just not good, lol.

Part of me would like to try out Eriksson, just change for the sake of change. But I also think Lucic has shown flashes of being a good player here, and that if we added an offensive dimension to our defense, it might give him the support he needs to be consistently good. I'd rather try that. Lucic is still fairly young. I could see him having some game left in him. Eriksson is just done

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Eriksson would be easier to move going forward. On July 2 next year he would have two years left and only be owed $5M in salary. In fact, once his signing bonus is paid this year he would only be owed $9M over the last three years combined.

The Oilers could do something like this:

Before July 1:

To Vancouver: Benning, Future Considerations

To Edmonton: Eriksson

After July 1:

To Vancouver: Lucic

To Ottawa: Eriksson $2M retained

To Edmonton: Condon

Ottawa gets Eriksson for three years for $6M and dumps Condon's $3M while taking a cap hit of $4M per year.

The Oilers eat $2M in dead cap space for three years and an additional $1.3M to bury Condon this year. Of course Eriksson may not waive if Ottawa is the final destination but they could turn around and deal him with another $2M retained to a team like Arizona for Hossa and a 3rd.

Arizona gets Eriksson for $3M real money over three years. Ottawa gets a 3rd to eat the $200K owed to Hossa but picks up over $5M in cap space.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It’ll be a ego injury. His back will just be his excuse. He’s not going to show up for the next 4 years, do all the work, travel with the team away from his family just to sit in the press box every night. If I was gm he would have a very short leash next season, if his game continues the trend of the last two seasons he’d quickly become the permanent 13th fwd and for injuries I’d be calling guys up from the farm.

They’ve only got to get through this year with him after the lockout guaranteed he will be done, either compliance buyout if there’s one or ltir.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Anyone think Lucic's comments are any indication of his willingness to waive his NMC for Seattle - allowing us to expose him and not have to waste a protection spot on him?

Whether Seattle actually picks him remains to be seen, probably unlikely without some sort of sweetener, but it would be nice to not HAVE to protect him based on his NMC.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Anyone think Lucic's comments are any indication of his willingness to waive his NMC for Seattle - allowing us to expose him and not have to waste a protection spot on him?

Whether Seattle actually picks him remains to be seen, probably unlikely without some sort of sweetener, but it would be nice to not HAVE to protect him based on his NMC.
Came to post this as I think he very likely would waive his NMC for Seattle and therefore would not need to be protected.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
At this point, Lucic's NMC probably isn't an issue. It's not like Seabrook in Chicago where you'd likely have a hard time making him waive.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Seattle is close enough to Vancouver that it could make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad