Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: Cap Gymnastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Going a little outside the box here but just so everyone knows by saying Lucic is a serviceable player at 3 million we are all basically agreeing that he is only overpaid by 3 million$. We can build a hockey team with him on it in other words. It is NOT necessary to dump him to build this team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Get into the playoffs and we may like what Lucic can bring to the table even if hes not hitting the scoresheet.. look at how physical the playoffs are this year.. its a gong show.

No question but his contract pays him like a 50-60 point season performer and he can barely reach 15. He is overpaid by $4.5M at this point.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Going a little outside the box here but just so everyone knows by saying Lucic is a serviceable player at 3 million we are all basically agreeing that he is only overpaid by 3 million$. We can build a hockey team with him on it in other words. It is NOT necessary to dump him to build this team.

If you look most teams have a $4-7M dollar dud on their hands. It just so happens we are the only team paying a player $12.5M so that is the problem. But yeah I think we can drag another year out of Lucic and then his contract is very tradable after July 1 2020 when the bulk of his money is paid up front, so long as he is willing to move.

Reactions: 780il

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
No question but his contract pays him like a 50-60 point season performer and he can barely reach 15. He is overpaid by $4.5M at this point.

His regression is honestly scary:

EDM 82 23 27 50
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
EDM 82 10 24 34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
EDM 79 6 14 20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Some random proposals to use our D to shore up forwards:
To NJ: Larsson + 1st
To EDM: Hall + McLeod

Caufield+Hughes in NJ + they get their beloved Larsson back

McLeod+McLeod in Edmonton + an extended Hall

To CBJ: Jones
To EDM: Foudy

Jones+Jones in CBJ
Bouch+Foudy in Bakersfield

Reactions: frag2

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Think Minny would part with Spurgeon? Bring him in and sign to an extension.
Spurgeon for Yamamoto, Benning and conditional 2nd pick (when Spurgeon resigns)
I think Minnesota would rather let Spurgeon walk in a year than accept that proposal. Easily beaten by every other team in the league.
If we move the 8OA + Russell for Zucker and the 12OA Thats 5.5 million leads - 4 million from Russell
That deal was specific to Alex Turcotte being available at #8 and Russell was not included in the discussion. Zucker is worth was more than 4 spots in the draft, adding a cap dump (they have Suter-Brodin on LD, Dumba-Spurgeon on RD) just makes things worse. The only reason Minnesota would think about Zucker+12 for 8 is because they woefully need a 1C and Turcotte will most likely be that in the future. You add in Russell and you might as well add another 1st rounder from this side.

Zucker + #12 > #8
Zucker + #12 >>> #8 + Russell
If we acquire Kadri, no chance he would run 3C. He would be our 4th best forward, he’s on second line at minimum and honestly, RNH and Kadri might click.
I hate Kadri... That being said, if he could be acquired on the cheap then that's a perfect deal to be done. Trouble is both teams are vying for cap space.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think Minnesota would rather let Spurgeon walk in a year than accept that proposal. Easily beaten by every other team in the league.

That deal was specific to Alex Turcotte being available at #8 and Russell was not included in the discussion. Zucker is worth was more than 4 spots in the draft, adding a cap dump (they have Suter-Brodin on LD, Dumba-Spurgeon on RD) just makes things worse. The only reason Minnesota would think about Zucker+12 for 8 is because they woefully need a 1C and Turcotte will most likely be that in the future. You add in Russell and you might as well add another 1st rounder from this side.

Zucker + #12 > #8
Zucker + #12 >>> #8 + Russell

I hate Kadri... That being said, if he could be acquired on the cheap then that's a perfect deal to be done. Trouble is both teams are vying for cap space.
Yeah if Turcotte is still there (he won't be) then any potential better be a home f***ing run or else I'm taking him and sprinting up to the podium

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Jones+Jones in CBJ

If we're trading one of Jones, Bear, or Lagesson, I do hope we get a young F on an ELC in return. Foudy is a nice target.

I especially like Kupari, doubt he's available. I think Bokk and Hallander are nice targets as well.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah if Turcotte is still there (he won't be) then any potential better be a home ****ing run or else I'm taking him and sprinting up to the podium
Why do we need another center though? McDavid-Draisaitl-RNH is kinda overkill on top 6 centers. Shoot, I'd pick Caufield if he's there. McDavid with Caufield's scoring touch would be amazing.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Why do we need another center though? McDavid-Draisaitl-RNH is kinda overkill on top 6 centers. Shoot, I'd pick Caufield if he's there. McDavid with Caufield's scoring touch would be amazing.

There's a possibility Nuge could walk in 2-years, or price himself out of our cap structure. If he doesn't, we can still move the drafted C to the wing. Also, in the playoffs we can pretty much keep the structure we have (McDavid/Drai line 1, Nuge line 2, #8 overall line 3)

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Well Leon and Nuge can both play wing. Hell Leon put up 50 goals and 105 points playing on the wing. Nuge can also successfully transition over. I'm taking BPA at 8 whoever that may be. 2 of our 3 good centers being able to play wing gives us that flexibility.

Also, I'm leery of us rushing prospects so taking a center may block him out and make us develop him correctly because of insane depth at that position at the NHL level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

What we have lacked are cheap ELC options.

Some potentially cheap ELC options: Bouchard, Benson, Marody, Starrett, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Gambardella and Currie.

On D, hypothetically we move out Russell and Benning, that's $5.9 million
We replace them with Jones and Bouchard or Bear, that's $1.44-$1.645 million
That's a savings of $4.255-$4.46 million right there that can go towards fixing our forward group either via these trades or through other methods.

Up front, hypothetically we walk from Rieder and Gambardella (assuming he gets the same contract just a 1 way deal) takes his place on the roster in a bottom 6/PK role. That's a cap saving of $1.275 million. Walk from Rattie and Currie takes his place $112,500 in added cap space. Bury Brodziak on the farm and replace him with Marody = $75K savings factoring in the
$75K of Brodziak's pay that will still count against the cap.

Altogether that's a $5,717,500-$5,922,500 cap savings.

Right now that Strome to Spooner to Gagner contract looks like another turd in the punchbowl. Gagner will at least give you an honest effort but it sure would be nice to have his $3.15 million off the books to be used for other things. Thankfully the deal comes off the books after next season.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lucic isn’t an NHLer regardless of the cap hit. We’d be a better team with him bought out and all that dead cap space than him playing every night.

And he was terrible in the playoffs when we made it. And that was before his laughable regression. I’m not sure if Lucic is done as an NHLer. I think he’s done as an NHLer in Edmonton.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Jones+Jones in CBJ
CBJ doesn't even blink at that. Foudy is a blue-chip prospect for them.

I also think we need to stop dreaming about Hall coming back.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lucic isn’t an NHLer regardless of the cap hit. We’d be a better team with him bought out and all that dead cap space than him playing every night.

And he was terrible in the playoffs when we made it. And that was before his laughable regression. I’m not sure if Lucic is done as an NHLer. I think he’s done as an NHLer in Edmonton.

Every time Lucic is on ice, we're pretty much short handed. Sooner he's gone, the better.

Reactions: McBeastMode

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

He's an effective checking liner. He doesn't leak goals against and can contribute to the cycle. If he's going to be a net positive, coaches need to stop tying him to guys like Nuge, who are relied upon to consistently create offense.

He's an overpaid fourth liner.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He's an effective checking liner. He doesn't leak goals against and can contribute to the cycle. If he's going to be a net positive, coaches need to stop tying him to guys like Nuge, who are relied upon to consistently create offense.

He's an overpaid fourth liner.

Nuge actually preforms as well with Lucic as he does with McDavid in most metrics. Nuge likes the space looch gives him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What we have lacked are cheap ELC options.

Some potentially cheap ELC options: Bouchard, Benson, Marody, Starrett, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Gambardella and Currie.

On D, hypothetically we move out Russell and Benning, that's $5.9 million
We replace them with Jones and Bouchard or Bear, that's $1.44-$1.645 million
That's a savings of $4.255-$4.46 million right there that can go towards fixing our forward group either via these trades or through other methods.

Up front, hypothetically we walk from Rieder and Gambardella (assuming he gets the same contract just a 1 way deal) takes his place on the roster in a bottom 6/PK role. That's a cap saving of $1.275 million. Walk from Rattie and Currie takes his place $112,500 in added cap space. Bury Brodziak on the farm and replace him with Marody = $75K savings factoring in the
$75K of Brodziak's pay that will still count against the cap.

Altogether that's a $5,717,500-$5,922,500 cap savings.

Right now that Strome to Spooner to Gagner contract looks like another turd in the punchbowl. Gagner will at least give you an honest effort but it sure would be nice to have his $3.15 million off the books to be used for other things. Thankfully the deal comes off the books after next season.

Do you think they may buy Gagner out? That would add cap savings today. Hit next year tho still but depending on what we need to bring in.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Do you think they may buy Gagner out? That would add cap savings today. Hit next year tho still but depending on what we need to bring in.

I didn't even think about that since we have past ties with him. If we did we would gain $2.133 million this upcoming season and be down $1.07 million the following season.

Between my moves above and busying out Gagner, we would have $8 million in cap to work with + the $3 million or so increase in the cap.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I doubt they will buy him out but it is an option if they make a move that requires space. In fact the Oilers can manufacture a fair bit of space if they really need it. But there is no point in doing something like this unless they already have the guy in place. Having cap space for the sake of having cap space is not the right move.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Fiv e trades to help us get depth-

Neal for Lucic + 3rd
Brown for Benning
Subban + Jarnkork for RNH + Russell
Zucker for Gagner Puljujarvi + 2nd
Kulikov (2 mil retained) + Ehlers for Sekera + 8th

Ehlers-McDavid-Brown
Zucker-Draisaitl-Neal
Benson-Jarnkrok-Kassian
Khaira-Cave-Currie
Gambardella Brodziak

Nurse-Subban
Klefbom-Larsson
Kulikov-Jones
Bear

Koskinen
Stolatz

Two real scoring lines + two actual pairings. If goalies hold up that is a contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->