Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg Wants Out, Holland Sheds a Tear and Questions His Life Decisions While Making $13,698 a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

I’ve watched all this AHL games. He’s top pair and top pk. Only problem is our ahl coach has a fetish and he lets can Dineen run the pp first. No wonder it’s last. Brobergs been killing it

If it's Broberg and Campbell for a Binnington, Gibson, second tier goalie it's fine.

If it's a third tier like Merzlikins, Allen etc then we need a forward back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If it's Broberg and Campbell for a Binnington, Gibson, second tier goalie it's fine.

If it's a third tier like Merzlikins, Allen etc then we need a forward back.

It would probably be more like Broberg + 1st + Campbell.

Broberg + Campbell alone, don't see teams biting on a tier 2 goalie for that.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
So speculating on things is a thing these days? Ok. I speculate that drinking Beer is cancerous, and Donairs are drugged up to make you think you like it.

Just because it 'seems' about right, doesn't make it 'right'. I would rather read truthful things than made-up fantasy stories. Just don't like people here spinning things that aren't true, that's all.
You’re acting like these are things I condone…lol. You asked why people thought Jackson was calling the shots, it was answered. In the days where social media seems to have a profound impact, you can’t get away from the speculation, I’m not saying it’s right.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Merzlikins just came off a season last year where he was "shit the bed" bad as well... with a 87.6% save pct

Campbell was 88.8% last season.
Skinner was 91.4% last season.

I don't think it's a given that Merzlikins makes the goaltending better... he's another bullet in the chamber sure and I'm all for adding a "better" goalie but what's the cost/assets given up and is there really a reasonably priced upgrade out there?
Campbell has shit the bed ever since he played his first game as an Oiler man

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It would probably be more like Broberg + 1st + Campbell.

Broberg + Campbell alone, don't see teams biting on a tier 2 goalie for that.
Can't see first added in that deal. Maybe a 2025 first. Holland will keep the 2024 first for the deadline.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
View attachment 786509

I think when your team (C’s in particular) are prone to letting guys have wide open looks from the top of the crease, it doesn’t really matter what average goalie is in your net. Those chances are going to end up buried more often than not.

This one is funny and a perfect example of how certain players not playing their position can mess up the whole system. That’s Draisaitl lazily reaching in because he didn’t track Verhaeghe back to the net from the high slot like he’s supposed to, instead hanging around too high for too long, hoping that a low percentage play would materialize allowing the Oilers a possible odd man rush.

The funny thing about it all is that Foegele is so used to that bad habit from Draisaitl that he actually abandons his own defensive job because he recognizes the danger and attempts to get to Verhaege before the puck does, he couldn’t get there but he actually was closer then Draisaitl, who’s job that was. Either way, Draisaitl failing to do his job results in Foegele being pulled out of position trying to cover and thus 2/5 oilers out of position and running around. Even is Verhaeghe doesn’t convert the system has collapsed and it’s only a matter of time until another high danger chance or two are generated because of the break down.

Plays like this happen pretty consistently when our top 6 is out there.

For save % above expected (minimum 5 GP), Skinner is 64th of 69 goalies and Campbell is 66th. Elvis is 36th, in the middle of the pack.

For goals saved above expected per 60 (same min GP), Skinner is 64th of 69, and Campbell is 68th. Elvis is 35th, again, in the middle of the pack.

For high danger unblocked shot attempt save % above expected (same min), so these are the "five alarm" shots you are showing above, Skinner is 65th and Campbell is 67th, while Elvis is 16th.

Yes, Elvis isn't some great tender, but he is a middle of the road guy, and our tenders are not even close. Elvis is significantly better than either one of our guys, and its not that close.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So teams don't matter? C

This has rarely happened in the last 9/10 games. I will tell you what happened though. Our goalie almost cost us games we were dominating and did cost us the last one that we trashed Tampa. Switch goalies and we win 12-3 maybe

It's also what I said before. Can this team play that consistently all of the time? So far, they have shown us they can't. That doesn't mean a potentially better goalie should be off of the table.
I can’t take you seriously if you think we were getting 6 by Vasyilevski that game but we definitely deserved the win. The underlying lesson is that they played hard working, responsible hockey in 9 of the last 10 games and they won 8 of them. They played that well against Tampa and thrashed them too but in that game Skinner completely sank them 100% on him. But Florida they went right back to the team they were in the beginning of the season. That’s on them with shit play and if they bring that weak game on a nightly basis, most goalies are gonna give up goals at a rate not much better then what we currently have.

That being said, they definitely do need to be in the market for a goaltender but they have to be smart about it cause they’re only gonna get one shot at a goalie trade and if you blow your load on another mediocre goalie and your team keeps hanging them out with bad defensive play then you’re done.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Skinner and McLeod for Vejemelka and McBain? I’d offer a bit more on top of that too, but I like the idea of a nasty center like McBain for our bottom 6.
You come up with reasonable proposals.

Not sure why the yotes do this now though when they are in a playoff spot.

Tourigny is a great coach.

Reactions: Jet Walters

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
For save % above expected (minimum 5 GP), Skinner is 64th of 69 goalies and Campbell is 66th. Elvis is 36th, in the middle of the pack.

For goals saved above expected per 60 (same min GP), Skinner is 64th of 69, and Campbell is 68th. Elvis is 35th, again, in the middle of the pack.

For high danger unblocked shot attempt save % above expected (same min), so these are the "five alarm" shots you are showing above, Skinner is 65th and Campbell is 67th, while Elvis is 16th.

Yes, Elvis isn't some great tender, but he is a middle of the road guy, and our tenders are not even close. Elvis is significantly better than either one of our guys, and it’s not that close.
I don’t think Merzlikins wouldn’t be a bad bet in the right deal but a good 20 game stretch doesn’t wipe away the last few years of performance in my mind. He’s also playing behind a D that features Werenski, Provorov and Severson among some other decent blue liners. He’d definitely get more goal support here though.

But also he’s playing behind a last place team in hockey sleepy Columbus. Not exactly the same kind of pressure as playing in a psychotic hockey market with huge expectations.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You’re acting like these are things I condone…lol. You asked why people thought Jackson was calling the shots, it was answered. In the days where social media seems to have a profound impact, you can’t get away from the speculation, I’m not saying it’s right.

Not at all. I may have replied to you, but I was more on agreeance with you than thinking you thought like them.

Reactions: Faelko

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I’ve watched all this AHL games. He’s top pair and top pk. Only problem is our ahl coach has a fetish and he lets Dineen run the pp first. No wonder it’s last. Brobergs been killing it and he’s been good on the 2nd pair PP

Then we're going to watch Broberg develop into the exact defenseman we're going to need over the next half dozen years with our current D-core heading into their 30s.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Campbell career save pct: 90.9%
Skinner career save pct: 90.7%
Merzlikins career save pct: 90.6%
Pickard career save pct: 90.3%

For those that want Merzlikins (and I'm not completely against it because he's a decent but not great goalie)... do we really collectively here think he's an upgrade on the trio the Oilers have now?
These numbers are meaningless without team context. Merzlikins played behind a team with a -189 goal difference the past four years in C-Bus (-97 last year; -39; -50; and -3). They were a top lottery team last year in part to being second in league man games lost to injury with 545 including most of the year without their top pair d-man.

Reference point for last year's calamitous season in C-Bus. Korpitsalo's numbers went from 4.15 GAA .877 SV% to 2.13 .GAA 921 SV% behind a playoff LA team.

This year C Bus goal share is -21 but Merzlikins is still a .909 SV. This guy would be a significant improvement behind a non-lottery team and frankly with a fresh start personally and professionally.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I really don’t understand why the Oilers continue to scout teams when it’s clear that Holland is unwilling to make a trade. Kinda seems redundant.

Agree, but at also thinking it’s a lot of Jackson unsure about the spreadsheet results. He’s the Wizard of Oz now, it would seem

Reactions: Echodek

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then we're going to watch Broberg develop into the exact defenseman we're going to need over the next half dozen years with our current D-core heading into their 30s.
Exactly. And we're licking our chops to ship him out to erase Holland's screw up

Broberg represents a pick we got from a wasted season. Losing him means that the season was a dismal waste.

Reactions: dawunderboy

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Broberg was the wrong pick. Everyone except Oilers management thought that way at the time.

it was the correct thinking. Broberg was a monumental mistake at 9 oa.

Reactions: dawunderboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad