Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg Wants Out, Holland Sheds a Tear and Questions His Life Decisions While Making $13,698 a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I love this stuff, is this statement confirmed because you are working with them?
It’s mostly just connecting the dots. The minute they fired Woodcroft and replaced him with Knoblauch (a Jackson guy) is when this theory got legs. Add in the fact it’s Hollands last year and the theory seems plausible.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Was he talking about it on the Oilersnation show or something?

The Elvis for Campbell idea would be a big improvement from our side, but we would have to add to it quite substantially I would imagine. I'm guessing its still something like Campbell + 1st rounder + Broberg for Elvis, and even that might not be enough.

I would be shocked if it was one of broberg or a first let alone both.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It’s mostly just connecting the dots. The minute they fired Woodcroft and replaced him with Knoblauch (a Jackson guy) is when this theory got legs. Add in the fact it’s Hollands last year and the theory seems plausible.

Yeah but we aren't playing theories here. Until they come out and say it, there's no point starting some rumor that he's not in control anymore. That's like painting the picture that McDavid is controlling the team and has a private money share in the Oilers team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would be shocked if it was one of broberg or a first let alone both.
I'd expect a 1st and a good prospect added to Campbell if Elvis was the return. I wouldn't want to move Broberg since I still think he has top 4 potential but I'd easily move XB.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Regardless I wouldn't expect this management group has a whole lot of geniuses in it. And Brad Holland is still scouting teams on a nightly basis? I think he has more input than we would hope.

The cost is probably going to be two 1sts or equivalents, and that may well be on the low end.

It is what it is at this point, we don't have time to develop some goalie from scratch.

This isn't going to be cheap. Ekholm wasn't cheap, not sure why people think this is somehow magically going to have a cheap fix. It won't be. I wouldn't be counting on this team to be picking in the 1st round for a while.
The fact that this team lets Brad Holland scout goalies, after he said he watches hours and hours on Campbell, tells you something lol

I love this stuff, is this statement confirmed because you are working with them?
Gazolla and others said after the Woody firing that Coffey and Jackson are running things pretty much

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah but we aren't playing theories here. Until they come out and say it, there's no point starting some rumor that he's not in control anymore. That's like painting the picture that McDavid is controlling the team and has a private money share in the Oilers team.

It isn't because one is actually plausible and and supported by insider reporting and the other isn't.

Seravalli and Friedman have both reported that Jackson has taken some of Holland's power (unknown to what degree) and what we see so far supports that vs. what we are used to from Holland.

Think about how long it took Holland to fire Tippett and compare that to Woodcroft. Tippett was in charge of a deeper tailspin than we were in this year, had less of a track record of success compared to Woodcroft, and had pretty clearly lost the room when Woodcroft hadn't. I don't think that the expedited firing process compared to Tippett combined with hiring the guy that everyone knows Jackson loves was coincidence.

Nonsense like "McDavid is actually running the team!" and "McDavid owns the team" is nothing other than BS innuendo with pretty much nothing to support it.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It’s how things work these days unfortunately.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It’s how things work these days unfortunately.

So speculating on things is a thing these days? Ok. I speculate that drinking Beer is cancerous, and Donairs are drugged up to make you think you like it.

Just because it 'seems' about right, doesn't make it 'right'. I would rather read truthful things than made-up fantasy stories. Just don't like people here spinning things that aren't true, that's all.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Regardless I wouldn't expect this management group has a whole lot of geniuses in it. And Brad Holland is still scouting teams on a nightly basis? I think he has more input than we would hope.

The cost is probably going to be two 1sts or equivalents, and that may well be on the low end.

It is what it is at this point, we don't have time to develop some goalie from scratch.

This isn't going to be cheap. Ekholm wasn't cheap, not sure why people think this is somehow magically going to have a cheap fix. It won't be. I wouldn't be counting on this team to be picking in the 1st round for a while.
You’ll be wrong about this just like how you were wrong last year when you wouldn’t shut up about Holland trading a 1st for Edmundson.

The cost is either going to be something small/medium added to Campbell to take on a worse contract with a worse buyout like Anderson or Merzlikins. Or they’ll look to move out salary at other positions to accomodate an in season goalie trade and then buyout Campbell in the summer.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Campbell career save pct: 90.9%
Skinner career save pct: 90.7%
Merzlikins career save pct: 90.6%
Pickard career save pct: 90.3%

For those that want Merzlikins (and I'm not completely against it because he's a decent but not great goalie)... do we really collectively here think he's an upgrade on the trio the Oilers have now?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

For those that want Merzlikins (and I'm not completely against it because he's a decent but not great goalie)... do we really collectively here think he's an upgrade on the trio the Oilers have now?
:facepalm:

Yup, but that seems to fail to tell the story though. Merzlikins is a better NHL goaltender than Jack Campbell. This isn't a debatable point, it's just the reality.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

He's 100% better than Campbell, an upgrade over Pickard, and would provide balance with Skinner.
Imagine if Skinner gets hurt, we're big in trouble.

That all said, I think Rod deserves a shot before anything happens. There might be an in house solution.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Yes. No question.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Merzlikins just came off a season last year where he was "shit the bed" bad as well... with a 87.6% save pct

Campbell was 88.8% last season.
Skinner was 91.4% last season.

I don't think it's a given that Merzlikins makes the goaltending better... he's another bullet in the chamber sure and I'm all for adding a "better" goalie but what's the cost/assets given up and is there really a reasonably priced upgrade out there?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Merzlikins just came off a season last year where he was "shit the bed" bad as well... with a 87.6% save pct

I don't think it's a given that Merzlikins makes the goaltending better... he's another bullet in the chamber sure and I'm all for adding a "better" goalie but what's the cost/assets given up and is there really a reasonably priced upgrade out there?
I think you fail to understand how bad all of those jackets teams have been compared to the Oilers and Leafs.

It's a risk, no question, but to sincerely compare him, merzlikins, to Campbell with concern that their remotely similar is silly.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Book is out on Skinner. I can only imagine the numbers he would put up on a terrible terrible Columbus squad. Yikes.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think you fail to understand how bad all of those jackets teams have been compared to the Oilers and Leafs.

It's a risk, no question, but to sincerely compare him, merzlikins, to Campbell with concern that their remotely similar is silly.
06897834-5FAA-471C-9B0D-C6D91941707E.jpeg

I think when your team (C’s in particular) are prone to letting guys have wide open looks from the top of the crease, it doesn’t really matter what average goalie is in your net. Those chances are going to end up buried more often than not.

This one is funny and a perfect example of how certain players not playing their position can mess up the whole system. That’s Draisaitl lazily reaching in because he didn’t track Verhaeghe back to the net from the high slot like he’s supposed to, instead hanging around too high for too long, hoping that a low percentage play would materialize allowing the Oilers a possible odd man rush.

The funny thing about it all is that Foegele is so used to that bad habit from Draisaitl that he actually abandons his own defensive job because he recognizes the danger and attempts to get to Verhaege before the puck does, he couldn’t get there but he actually was closer then Draisaitl, who’s job that was. Either way, Draisaitl failing to do his job results in Foegele being pulled out of position trying to cover and thus 2/5 oilers out of position and running around. Even is Verhaeghe doesn’t convert the system has collapsed and it’s only a matter of time until another high danger chance or two are generated because of the break down.

Plays like this happen pretty consistently when our top 6 is out there.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Well we watched the Oilers be horribad defensively to start this season... so I think we collectively here know a thing or two about bad defense if there's ever a question. :)

Jimmi... just don't come crying to HFOIL with waaa waaa we need a better goalie :) when Merzlikins looks no better under the "fluctuating d quality" that the Oilers provide... as Merzlikins has a combined 89.96% save pct over the past 3 regular seasons... not exactly sterling numbers over his past 109 games.

His 1st 2 seasons (61 games) with Columbus were solid so maybe he gets back to that level again but Skinner looked solid in his 1st 64 NHL games as well... 91.24%.

Maybe these non-elite young rookie/sophomore goalies look decent until the book is out on them and then they decline to average/mediocre.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So speculating on things is a thing these days? Ok. I speculate that drinking Beer is cancerous, and Donairs are drugged up to make you think you like it.

Just because it 'seems' about right, doesn't make it 'right'. I would rather read truthful things than made-up fantasy stories. Just don't like people here spinning things that aren't true, that's all.
Speculation has made the world go round forever. This isn't new. The entire sports journalism/reporting world is built on speculation.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

he’s a good replacement to our 1B yes. Campbells save percentage is negligible sorry lol. He can’t even keep his AHL save % over .900

Some interesting stats:

The last 10 game appearances for each goalie (In Campbell's case this includes the playoffs):

Campbell 90.3% 236 shots 23 goals against
Skinner 89.2% 240 shots 26 goals against
Raanta 85.0% 234 shots 35 goals against

Throwing out the 1 worst performance for each goalie in their last 10 appearances and adding 1 more appearance to bring it up to 10 again...

Campbell 92.9% 241 shots 17 goals against
Skinner 90.5% 253 shots 24 goals against
Raanta 88.8% 240 shots 27 goals against

Maybe it IS time to bring up Campbell again... his recent NHL numbers really aren't as shitty as we collectively think they are.
Ummm. You may want to check your evidence again

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You’ll be wrong about this just like how you were wrong last year when you wouldn’t shut up about Holland trading a 1st for Edmundson.

The cost is either going to be something small/medium added to Campbell to take on a worse contract with a worse buyout like Anderson or Merzlikins. Or they’ll look to move out salary at other positions to accomodate an in season goalie trade and then buyout Campbell in the summer.

If they could get Merzlinkins for Campbell with a small add they would have added an extra sweetener to that and done it already.

Elvis is having a way better year than Campbell, the add would have to be significant to get that kind of deal done.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

So teams don't matter? C
View attachment 786509

I think when your team (C’s in particular) are prone to letting guys have wide open looks from the top of the crease, it doesn’t really matter what average goalie is in your net. Those chances are going to end up buried more often than not.

This one is funny and a perfect example of how certain players not playing their position can mess up the whole system. That’s Draisaitl lazily reaching in because he didn’t track Verhaeghe back to the net from the high slot like he’s supposed to, instead hanging around too high for too long, hoping that a low percentage play would materialize allowing the Oilers a possible odd man rush.

The funny thing about it all is that Foegele is so used to that bad habit from Draisaitl that he actually abandons his own defensive job because he recognizes the danger and attempts to get to Verhaege before the puck does, he couldn’t get there but he actually was closer then Draisaitl, who’s job that was. Either way, Draisaitl failing to do his job results in Foegele being pulled out of position trying to cover and thus 2/5 oilers out of position and running around. Even is Verhaeghe doesn’t convert the system has collapsed and it’s only a matter of time until another high danger chance or two are generated because of the break down.

Plays like this happen pretty consistently when our top 6 is out there.
This has rarely happened in the last 9/10 games. I will tell you what happened though. Our goalie almost cost us games we were dominating and did cost us the last one that we trashed Tampa. Switch goalies and we win 12-3 maybe

It's also what I said before. Can this team play that consistently all of the time? So far, they have shown us they can't. That doesn't mean a potentially better goalie should be off of the table.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I’ve watched all this AHL games. He’s top pair and top pk. Only problem is our ahl coach has a fetish and he lets Dineen run the pp first. No wonder it’s last. Brobergs been killing it and he’s been good on the 2nd pair PP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad