Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg Wants Out, Holland Sheds a Tear and Questions His Life Decisions While Making $13,698 a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The difference is that with a guy like Anderson there are more options to move his deal. He is what he is but his combination of size, speed, and streaky goal scoring has some cache amongst NHL GM's. At the right price he is a guy teams would take a shot on. With even a small bounce back that price could be 50% of his current deal. At $2.75M you can play him on a third line and if he scores 10-12 goals and plays physically you are mostly getting your money's worth. Trading him at 50% may actually return an asset in the right circumstance.

A goalie going through what Campbell is right now is a completely different story. You can't have him on the roster at all. Trading Campbell at 50% would still cost you at least a 1st.
Just like James Neal. Neal had a great first year here still couldnt move that contract. This blind hope that x player will be tradable in the future is wrong.

Funny, Detroit has a goaltending crisis so they sign a goalie. Novel concept.
Wow they signed a guy to an ahl deal that shouldnt be in the NHL. Low bar.

Reactions: capazzo

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
Some interesting stats:

The last 10 game appearances for each goalie (In Campbell's case this includes the playoffs):

Campbell 90.3% 236 shots 23 goals against
Skinner 89.2% 240 shots 26 goals against
Raanta 85.0% 234 shots 35 goals against

Throwing out the 1 worst performance for each goalie in their last 10 appearances and adding 1 more appearance to bring it up to 10 again...

Campbell 92.9% 241 shots 17 goals against
Skinner 90.5% 253 shots 24 goals against
Raanta 88.8% 240 shots 27 goals against

Maybe it IS time to bring up Campbell again... his recent NHL numbers really aren't as shitty as we collectively think they are.
This is like, actually insane.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Funny, Detroit has a goaltending crisis so they sign a goalie. Novel concept.
If Skinner got hurt, we would do something similar. They signed a depth guy so they could obviously have a backup since they have two goalies injured. We are looking for an improvement on Campbell/Pickard/Skinner. Michael Hutchinson is not that. (Unless you particularly like guys that were 4.29 GAA and .877 Sv% last season and are currently UFA)

What do you think the HFBoard or Oiler fan response in general if our goalie solution was to sign Brian Elliot?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
If Skinner got hurt, we would do something similar. They signed a depth guy so they could obviously have a backup since they have two goalies injured. We are looking for an improvement on Campbell/Pickard/Skinner. Michael Hutchinson is not that. (Unless you particularly like guys that were 4.29 GAA and .877 Sv% last season and are currently UFA)

What do you think the HFBoard or Oiler fan response in general if our goalie solution was to sign Brian Elliot?
Elliot would probably be number two on our depth chart, like Raanta would have been.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Brian Elliot was barely a solution 5 years ago, he's absolutely not to anything now.

Elliot would probably be number two on our depth chart, like Raanta would have been.
But also unfortunately this.

I think Raanta's body is failing him, that's why he's a no go for me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just like James Neal. Neal had a great first year here still couldnt move that contract. This blind hope that x player will be tradable in the future is wrong.
They couldn't move Neal's contract in the middle of covid when teams had no interest in taking on money and few had any cap space. Neal had three years left at $6M with a flat cap being in place during the duration. Neal was also 33 at the time and had had bad years in two of three. Anderson is 29, has 17 goals in 52 games, 19 in 69 and 21 in 69 the last three years with a cap of $5.5M and a cap that would be potentially over $95M in his last year. and Even then we have no idea if the team tried to move him at 50% or even thought about trying something creative.

There would be other ways to move Anderson at 50%. Using a third team could get his cost down to $1.75M for three years. The cost to get a team to eat $1.75M over three years might be a 2nd and a 4th. In the end if you have to buy it out you are not much further behind than you would have been with Campbell.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You don't have to tell me. Just posting an example of what Detroit did is not a solution for us.
Totally, and I'm in complete agreement. My issue (and I suspect yours as well) is they need to find one soon or risk ending up like Carolina or Detroit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to say it, Josh Anderson is a younger and didn't go through the personal issues Zack Kassian. There, does that help.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Totally, and I'm in complete agreement. My issue (and I suspect yours as well) is they need to find one soon or risk ending up like Carolina or Detroit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to say it, Josh Anderson is a younger and didn't go through the personal issues Zack Kassian. There, does that help.
I think if we had an injury, Campbell would get the call. Rodrigue could handle the AHL, and I guess you could sign a backup for the AHL.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think if we had an injury, Campbell would get the call. Rodrigue could handle the AHL, and I guess you could sign a backup for the AHL.
For sure, but it's just digging that hole deeper, which is my massive concern. They should atleast call Halak already. He played reasonably well last season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's not, Anderson is awful and costs more. The reality is you can trade Campbell at 50% too, then he actually costs you less than what he would burried.

Unless there's an actual positive move to make with Campbell (ie Merlikins), buying him out in the summer is really the only solution.
No. You can't.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The cost of fixing the disaster in net will be two 1sts on the minimum side, fans should just accept that and move on.

The deal they supposedly had for Binnington was probably something like that (1st 2024 + Campbell + Broberg + 2nd or something like that) because St. Louis wasn't going to gift us anything.

Ekholm cost two 1sts basically. Holland paid two 2nds for Athansiou. He took Duncan Keith's full salary when Chicago had no leverage because we were the only team he'd waive for. This guy is an awful negotiator.

So just accept the cost is going to be what it's going to be.

Other teams needs will just have to be navigated around this cost. If the Oilers didn't want to be in this position, next time don't think you are the smartest person in the room and make massive bets back to back on unproven goalies (Koskinen then Campbell) and give them 4-5 year term on a contract. No one forced you to do that, you did it eyes wide open.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
The cost of fixing the disaster in net will be two 1sts on the minimum side, fans should just accept that and move on.

The deal they supposedly had for Binnington was probably something like that (1st 2024 + Campbell + Broberg + 2nd or something like that) because St. Louis wasn't going to gift us anything.

Ekholm cost two 1sts basically. Holland paid two 2nds for Athansiou. He took Duncan Keith's full salary when Chicago had no leverage because we were the only team he'd waive for. This guy is an awful negotiator.

So just accept the cost is going to be what it's going to be.

Other teams needs will just have to be navigated around this cost. If the Oilers didn't want to be in this position, next time don't think you are the smartest person in the room and make massive bets back to back on unproven goalies (Koskinen then Campbell) and give them 4-5 year term on a contract. No one forced you to do that, you did it eyes wide open.
Holland isn't running things now though. Just a figurehead.......

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Regardless I wouldn't expect this management group has a whole lot of geniuses in it. And Brad Holland is still scouting teams on a nightly basis? I think he has more input than we would hope.

The cost is probably going to be two 1sts or equivalents, and that may well be on the low end.

It is what it is at this point, we don't have time to develop some goalie from scratch.

This isn't going to be cheap. Ekholm wasn't cheap, not sure why people think this is somehow magically going to have a cheap fix. It won't be. I wouldn't be counting on this team to be picking in the 1st round for a while.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The problem with this take is if we add a 5.5 million Anderson we wouldn't have the cap space to address other needs with out send cap back.

Fans are already not happy with Brown and he can PK and play decent defensively. Anderson can only fight a little and skate and is bad defensively which is the last thing the Oilers need.
The only purpose of acquiring Anderson is to access the $5m attached to Campbell and use it towards a player you can place on your active roster. That's all.

Your goal is to minimize the cost of alleviating that committed salary.

When it comes to addressing the other needs of the roster, it was always going to mean that healthy bodies would need to move out. An Anderson for Campbell trade wouldn't change that.

Theoretically Campbell, Foegele and picks/prospects for Anderson and Primeau. How would that hinder the team's ability to address other areas? You'd be gaining $1m+ in cap flexibility.

All theoretical though. Because that type of trade needs to find a team that has a player that they're essentially done with. Anderson was still playing 16 minutes a night even before he scored a goal.

There was never a plan to trade James Neal. The only outlook with that trade was that he could be bought out. Lucic couldn't.

Reactions: Faelko

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Who said he wasn't running things anymore? Unless he or Jackson came out and said it, it's all hearsay. As far as we are concerned, he is still the GM and running things. Does he do a good job of it right now? Not really, but we have to assume he's in charge.

Reactions: elmeroil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia