Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | '22-23 Training Camp Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I currently have the free preview on Telus for centre ice package.
Watched a bit of the Flyers / Devils game.
Devils out shot the Flyers but Philly actually played a solid team game overall, and won tonite. New coach Torts effect? Lol
Next for the Flyers is in Vancouver Saturday.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I mean relative and absolute numbers wise his 2020-21 alone is higher than what any non Nurse/Murray player have ever done in their entire careers. He's definitely far more likely to take that load off Nurse than Kulak whose never in his entire career not played piss easy competition (which to his credit he excels at). I agree 100% about not targeting him though. Just too costly trade value wise for a player that's not impactful enough to warrant it.

I'm actually of the opinion our best chance of getting that additional high leverage defenseman is actually a near full health Ryan Murray. He's been that guy for years just not the last two b/c he's seemingly incapable of playing even a half season.
I was not suggesting Kulak was capable of really taking a dent in Nurse's load vs elite players. My question was about Chychrun's defensive ability. Has he really shown that much at this level. I took a look at how both guys did vs top players over the last two years. Kulak compares pretty favourably. In fact you often see that Kulak outperforms the rest of the team vs his top opposition but this often not the case for Chychrun. And it is more often the case that Chychrun fares badly versus guys we would probably consider high end opposition while Kulak typically holds his own.

Chychrun was, as I am sure you know, heavily hyped as a kid. He was a big deal in the GTMMHL with his skating, size and big offensive numbers. The next Doughty people around here said. I think he still has a bit of that hype myself since I personally have never seen the player in the NHL that would be anywhere close to the value they are asking for. But even in the OHL some cracks started to show and hence his big fall in the draft.

I agree with you about Murray by the way. He's a guy I thought the Oilers should sign and was pleased with the move. Of course the part about "fully healthy" is a big big if. I've always downplayed "injury prone" as a real thing for most players as the vast majority of players labeled with that tag have just had some bad luck and are no more likely to get hurt going forward than anyone else. But some guys deserve the tag because of the type of injuries they have had. Murray is such a guy, but ironically so is Chychrun. The nature of Chychrun's injuries is a big concern not only for his ability to stay on the ice going forward but also for how well he can play the game when he is on the ice. The guy has had multiple significant surgeries to parts of his body that are not great from a hockey perspective, especially for a defenseman whose game is tied up with his physical gifts more so than his ability to process the game.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Soucy has only one year left til he get that new contract and my guess is Seattle--if they move him--will ask a lot for him
I know you like painting doomsday scenarios but if Seattle asks "a lot" for a 28 year old bottom pairing Dman then they can try their luck elsewhere or let him walk in free agency for nothing. Soucy is worth a 2nd, at most. I like the player but he's not going to cost a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad