Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | 21 Man Roster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Is that enough ltir time to fill in another spot with the extra cap, or will he be back before playoffs?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is certainly a net-negative, but it should give some new guys a chance to play in the bottom-six, and could help out the bottom of the lineup a little bit. I don't think the Oilers were dressing their best lineup at any point this season, as Janmark is definitely an NHL player and should be an improvement on Shore. I think we'll probably see Yamo get the first shot in Kane's spot.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Kane is one of my favourite players (duh), but I could see the team doing as well with the added depth (he was producing but not exactly lighting it up).

Being able to run a full roster with two NHL wingers added will allow Woody to manage minutes better.

Holloway, Janmark and Kostin won't replace his production, but will be able to bolster the bottom 6.

Would love to see Holloway get a push in the top 6, but I have a feeling he will actually be sent down soon.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Time to see what Holloway can do with top 9 minutes. Expecting him to score playing 6 minutes a night next to Devin Shore isn't going to happen.

He had finishing problems in the AHL also. Look at McLeod… the year to year progression in the AHL was fantastic from “allergic to shooting and dirty areas” to what he is now. I think we are rushing Holloway.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Sucks but at least it happened early enough in the season that Kane will likely be ready for the playoffs, and it gives them a little more flexibility for the rest of the season. I'll just say again, it's time to give Holloway a real chance to run with it. I think he's ready so, let him loose.

Ready based on what?

I like Holloway and I think he will be good, but this is a recipe for disaster for a team that’s already struggling.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers have room for a 23rd roster player. Wonder who they'll recall... could even be an 8th dman like Kesselring who is looking good down in Bako.

Maybe Benson is close to coming back though and they'll leave a roster spot open for him to slide back into the roster.

Having the ability to adjust the lineup and PB players I think will be a boost for this roster... will it replace the offensive numbers from Kane... not likely no... but I feel the roster overall will be more balanced and I'm betting the PK and depth scoring likely improves.

Often teams "pull together" after a disaster situation like this and a team gels and players work harder to fill in for the obviously large hole that Kane has left on the team.

Reactions: Whyme and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its kind of unfortunate that he is gone 3-4 months. 4-5 months and he could be out till playoffs which could be an advantage. 3-4 months is rough for him and the team can't really benefit in the meantime. More flexibility in season to call up players and stuff but can't add a player with that cap.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ready based on what?

I like Holloway and I think he will be good, but this is a recipe for disaster for a team that’s already struggling.
Just based on the flashes he's shown. He's made a few mistakes but there's not much he can showcase playing 5-6 minutes.

I don't see it being disastrous at all. Drai/Hyman is a strong enough duo that can shelter a rookie and the upside is big and if he struggles in that role you can always send him down. I wouldn't be overly upset if they sent him down right now but I think this is an opportunity to give him a shot to see if he can take it and run with it. I also think Yamamoto is better suited for the 3rd line, not sure who else would get the bump to the Drai line besides Holloway and Yamamoto.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Just based on the flashes he's shown. He's made a few mistakes but there's not much he can showcase playing 5-6 minutes.

I don't see it being disastrous at all. Drai/Hyman is a strong enough duo that can shelter a rookie and the upside is big and if he struggles in that role you can always send him down. I wouldn't be overly upset if they sent him down right now but I think this is an opportunity to give him a shot to see if he can take it and run with it. I also think Yamamoto is better suited for the 3rd line, not sure who else would get the bump to the Drai line besides Holloway and Yamamoto.
Holloway has turned over the puck that has resulted in 2-3 GTG/GWG. He’s being broken in slowly on the 4th line, something that the Oilers used to do well in the years leading up to 2006.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Its kind of unfortunate that he is gone 3-4 months. 4-5 months and he could be out till playoffs which could be an advantage. 3-4 months is rough for him and the team can't really benefit in the meantime. More flexibility in season to call up players and stuff but can't add a player with that cap.
To be honest there’s nothing stopping him from pulling a Kucherov if the team needs it. He can always say his wrist needs more rehabbing time as the return date draws nearer.

With that being said, I wonder if this gives the Oilers a little more room to play with at the deadline. Certainly they’ll get a full chance to evaluate the Foegele/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi trio and ship out the one(s) not fitting in long term plans.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I really like a third line with Nuge centering Hyman and Ryan. It was used to great success last year.

If Kane is gone for months/the year I would love to shake up the lines considerably.

Holloway McDavid Yamamoto
Janmark Draisaitl Pulj
Hyman Nuge Ryan
Foegele McLeod Kostin

Maybe even get guys in like Benson or Borg in if it makes sense.
Perfect if you want to piss McDavid off.
Now at least Järnmark and Kostin is recalled, look at them outplaying Yamamoto, Puljujärvi and Fogele.

I think they should go
Nuge McDavid Kostin
Holloway Leon Hyman
Järnmark MacLeod Puljujärvi
Fogele Ryan Yamamoto

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
i think they may look at the following, at least based on last game…
RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Holloway - Draisaitl - Hyman
Foegele - McLeod - Yamamoto
Janmark - Shore/Ryan - Kostin/Ryan

Needs more AHL time.
I would give kostin a small look in the top-6, to see if you can find something there with his skill set

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kane is out for 3-4 months.

The trade deadline is 3 months and 24 days away.

Trade a pick for a rental now. Trade that rental away at the deadline.

Easy peasy.
Or trade for the rental now and then dump Pulju once Kane is ready to be back. Surely won’t be hard to find a taker for the final 1-2 months of the season with most of his salary and cap eaten

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or trade for the rental now and then dump Pulju once Kane is ready to be back. Surely won’t be hard to find a taker for the final 1-2 months of the season with most of his salary and cap eaten

That works too.

I'd throw a pick and someone like Lavoie to Arizona for Nick Ritchie or something like that. Fills a similar niche to Kane. Has played with a few of the guys in the past.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
That works too.

I'd throw a pick and someone like Lavoie to Arizona for Nick Ritchie or something like that. Fills a similar niche to Kane. Has played with a few of the guys in the past.
Blegh. If we’re trading for a forward there are much better options than Nick Ritchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad