Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | 21 Man Roster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Let's see how it goes, if they need to make adjustments, they will make them but a 21 man roster will be a interesting experiment considering the cap situation. On paper, it should work.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
What would need to happen for the Oilers to call Janmark back up? Like is he just screwed until there is an injury to someone who makes more than 1.5 million?

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Let's see how it goes, if they need to make adjustments, they will make them but a 21 man roster will be a interesting experiment considering the cap situation. On paper, it should work.
I don't think it works that well. It works to overuse McDrai, Kane, Hyman and doesn't get others involved in the play and we don't have the ideal lines we should have out there because of the reduced numbers in lineup.

Factor in that the NHL is calling a humongous amount of penalties and it even more amps the usage of only certain players. I thought a lot of our struggles first game was due to not having the full complement of players on ice.

Reactions: BardownMagic

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
How does this make any sense? I guess we're running 11F and 7D then unless Yamamoto and Foegele are ready?
I also don't get why they're recalling Broberg, I thought Murray looked pretty good, so yeah they must be planning on running 11-7 since Broberg isn't going to sit in the pressbox. I mean I don't hate 11-7, if it looks like this:

Kane - McDavid - Yamo
Hyman - Drai - Puljujarvi
Foegele - Nuge - Ryan
Holloway - McLeod

Because it gives Holloway and McLeod minutes with the best players on the team, as those guys will be the ones double shifting. Also gives you the option of moving Nuge up in the top six and bumping someone else up on to that third line.

That said, I think the ideal situation would be calling up a Benson or Janmark and running a full 12, since they finally have enough forwards where they should be able to run four good lines. That wasn't really the case last season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought Nemo would be the callup. Sad panda...

I wanna see Klim as well. Is the Visa sistuation not straightened out. I don't have Oilers + so I'm in the dark..;)

I'm not liking the forward lineup being so status quo. I thought we would have more shakeup in bottomsix and trying out new players here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I thought Nemo would be the callup. Sad panda...

I wanna see Klim as well.

I'm not liking the forward lineup being so status quo. I thought we would have more shakeup in bottomsix and trying out new players here.
I don't think they have much of a choice. Janmark, who is better than any of these bubble guys, makes too much money, Foegele and Yamamoto have been nicked up, Benson injured, Kostin not adjusted yet (has anybody heard anything about him since the trade, I haven't).

What I don't get is why Broberg and not Niemalainen is being recalled.
Broberg needs to be in the AHL for a while, he's just not ready.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't think they have much of a choice. Janmark, who is better than any of these bubble guys, makes too much money, Foegele and Yamamoto have been nicked up, Benson injured, Kostin not adjusted yet (has anybody heard anything about him since the trade, I haven't).

Yep. Malone in that first game was showing me again why he shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL lineup. Still curious on Virtanen. He could have been playing now and fit into cap. Kostin should be here. Does anybody know what is up with him? The org and media are curiously hush about it. I haven't even seen any release of him being here. we traded for him. Seems it must be something sticky at the border. I don't know what. He should be able to leave US and enter Canada. The going back to US on roadtrips would be the problem. But we have 6 games at home and we could be dressing him.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Should send down Malone and give Kostin a shot too. Both are meant to be face punchers but Kostin is at least young and was considered talented at one point, Malone there's no salvaging.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
It really feels like they are forcing Broberg into the lineup when Nemo was the better of the two in preseason. Especially with the battle of Alberta on Saturday. Nemo would be much more valuable in that game.

Reactions: McDrai

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Should send down Malone and give Kostin a shot too. Both are meant to be face punchers but Kostin is at least young and was considered talented at one point, Malone there's no salvaging.
I suspect that's on the table, it's also easier for 11-7 if you have 2 4th line wingers to rotate a center through them, but I think the team wants to see him a bit in Bako first.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018

Nice hair though.

I imagine Broberg and Niems will trade cups of coffee unless one grabs the reins. Not that I agree with this strategy but the Org seems to see something in Broberg that a lot of us fans don't.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I don't think it works that well. It works to overuse McDrai, Kane, Hyman and doesn't get others involved in the play and we don't have the ideal lines we should have out there because of the reduced numbers in lineup.

Factor in that the NHL is calling a humongous amount of penalties and it even more amps the usage of only certain players. I thought a lot of our struggles first game was due to not having the full complement of players on ice.

I think I heard mention that minutes would be spread out more as to not overuse Mcdrai and Co. But I understand the concern, as I believe it works but like you said it may not work that well since the team is handicapped atm.
Like I said, I'm sure the situation remains fluid and I think management and coaching staff will be monitoring closely, so If there are signs that it is unsustainable, then the obvious choice will be moving out cap to open up the 23 man roster again.
Until that happens, I guess we will see if they can keep it up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nice hair though.

I imagine Broberg and Niems will trade cups of coffee unless one grabs the reins. Not that I agree with this strategy but the Org seems to see something in Broberg that a lot of us fans don't.
Really starting to get the opinion that something isn't right with hot the org is thinking of Nemo. His return to AHL last season was odd. he was being noticeable every game here in good ways and playing well enough to stay in lineup. He played well throughout preseason. I keep saying this but what does the guy have to do? Its really frustrating because the team could use what the player brings. Instead we have Nurse making a thundering hit and getting NHL fine and review for it and being put on notice. We need Nemo out there rocking people. We let the Nucks skate around with impunity. Hit the Nucks and they fall apart. so these are curious lineup decisions.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yep. Malone in that first game was showing me again why he shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL lineup. Still curious on Virtanen. He could have been playing now and fit into cap. Kostin should be here. Does anybody know what is up with him? The org and media are curiously hush about it. I haven't even seen any release of him being here. we traded for him. Seems it must be something sticky at the border. I don't know what. He should be able to leave US and enter Canada. The going back to US on roadtrips would be the problem. But we have 6 games at home and we could be dressing him.
The 4th line on this team is going to be a nothingburger most nights but I at least want to see a 4th line that can bring some force, bang some bodies, to balance out the low event solid defensive play of Ryan. Malone gives it his all but he just can't keep up at this level. If Kostin can give the team some of what Kassian brought like 5 times a year then that's a plus.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Really starting to get the opinion that something isn't right with hot the org is thinking of Nemo. His return to AHL last season was odd. he was being noticeable every game here in good ways and playing well enough to stay in lineup. He played well throughout preseason. I keep saying this but what does the guy have to do? Its really frustrating because the team could use what the player brings. Instead we have Nurse making a thundering hit and getting NHL fine and review for it and being put on notice. We need Nemo out there rocking people. We let the Nucks skate around with impunity. Hit the Nucks and they fall apart. so these are curious lineup decisions.
Agreed, niems hits are something we could use on the backend. I’m not sure if it’s just cause Broberg is Kenny’s golden child or if there are legitimate reasons were not privy to (practice, behind the scenes) but it seems like nemo hasn’t always been given a fair shake.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad