Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: “I’d buy that for a dollar!!!” Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’ve seen some people say that they don’t want to add a D because we can’t get a Ekholm level jump up from Ceci, and I think that’s crazy.

Would I love to upgrade the position hugely? Of course. But if the best we can do with the players available is a small upgrade, I still want it.

So if you think walker (or someone like that) is a slight upgrade, then go get him. In my opinion Ceci is the weak link and needs to be improved even if only a little bit.

And we can still do this and go bigger fish hunting for a forward.
I think the point here is...there is rumored to only be...Dumba, Walker and a long list of guys worse than Ceci actually available. Dumba, is NOT an improvement on Ceci. And analytically Walker is, but there is a good chance he will either be stupid expensive, or not move at all.
Like would you pay Ceci, 1st for Walker? I don't think I would.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think the point here is...there is rumored to only be...Dumba, Walker and a long list of guys worse than Ceci actually available. Dumba, is NOT an improvement on Ceci. And analytically Walker is, but there is a good chance he will either be stupid expensive, or not move at all.
Doesn't get dizzy on this spiral? You can stop. You can go back to it after the deadline passes. It will make you much less dizzy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Doesn't get dizzy on this spiral? You can stop. You can go back to it after the deadline passes. It will make you much less dizzy.
What spiral. No one has been able to answer it. Everyone yelling "CECI UPGRADE NOW".
And the only name people scream out is Carrier, who has literally been said to not be available now.

So like, if its so easy that everyone is saying its a failure of a deadline if Holland can't upgrade on Ceci and its expected...then people should easily be able to name names.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
My guess is that is why the Oilers have been exploring bigger game hunting. If one has to spend a 1st (or more) to achieve a Walker-type upgrade over Ceci, why not see what adding another significant asset to the package can pry loose? It would be better trade value to spend more assets if they can add an elite RD with term.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Question for the forum:

Does a game like last night cause management to sniff the team’s farts a bit and cause them (mgt) to reevaluate potential roster changes/adds/deletions at the TDL or do they hold fast to their season long book of work and do what they need to to?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What spiral. No one has been able to answer it. Everyone yelling "CECI UPGRADE NOW".
Carrier, Walker (is an UPGRADE), Chychrun (even as a LHD), Jensen, TVR (on the low end). etc.

You have been spiraling for a while now. Assuming the team will somehow trade for Jarred Smithson and Brandon Manning, and they slap themselves on the back.

Chill the f*** out. Let things Actually happen, before you declare everything a f***ing failure.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Been perusing the top guys on the trade boards on the NHL Edge stats. Vatrano is looking pretty spicy. Throw him on one of the best offensive zone time teams in the league(aka the Oilers) and watch out.

0ebb074c99d321d0eeb8a6cfaa33fda9.png

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My guess is that is why the Oilers have been exploring bigger game hunting. If one has to spend a 1st (or more) to achieve a Walker-type upgrade over Ceci, why not see what adding another significant asset to the package can pry loose? It would be better trade value to spend more assets if they can add an elite RD with term.
Oh 100%. I have just been wracking my brain looking at bubble or non playoff teams and looking for RHD that we could either make work long term cap wise or that would even reasonably be available.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The NHL Edge stats are pretty cool.

Here's Derek Ryan(dark line) vs. Dowd(grey line):
Is some GM actually going to be dumb enough to give up a 1st or 2nd for a guy that's slower than Ryan and in the bottom 1% of the entire league in offensive zone time? The only thing Dowd brings in an unsustainable shooting percentage.

Ours is.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Been perusing the top guys on the trade boards on the NHL Edge stats. Vatrano is looking pretty spicy. Throw him on one of the best offensive zone time teams in the league(aka the Oilers) and watch out.

0ebb074c99d321d0eeb8a6cfaa33fda9.png
He really seems like he's come along as a player in the last few years, I would really like to see him added.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Question for the forum:

Does a game like last night cause management to sniff the team’s farts a bit and cause them (mgt) to reevaluate potential roster changes/adds/deletions at the TDL or do they hold fast to their season long book of work and do what they need to to?
If they are doing it right, it's another data point to add to the database from which you draw conclusions. However, one doesn't discard/ignore all the other data points.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
My depth D want is Goligoski, My forward want are Dowd and Henrique. Holland would need to be creative with double retention may need to send Janmark or Brown back to Anaheim but it is doable.

Reactions: McDoused

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Assuming we can’t get a legit RD upgrade, I think I would prefer to just use the first plus to dump Campbell to the Sharks for Duclair plus, improve the depth without subtracting from the roster. Thats assuming that it’s not a crazy amount to dump Campbell. SJ should be motivated to get some picks/prospects. They aren’t going anywhere soon. And who knows, maybe Campbell plays fine with zero pressure on him.

The rentals out there don’t inspire me much. Of course there are names that we haven’t heard.

I don’t trust Holland to start making creative double retentions to make things work without losing players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Parayko or Zub are the only upgrade on Ceci I want and they're not available. So better off just using our assets on forwards.

Henrique is most likely an Oiler this weekend. Now we need 2 more impactful forwards.

Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, Ryan, Brown don't move the needle most nights.
3 impact forwards? Good luck with that.

It'll be one impact forward, likely a depth forward and a depth Dman. There's a thing called the cap that exists unless you're Vegas with endless cap space.

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Question for the forum:

A game like last night should actually ratchet up the urgency to add forwards. Outside of the Pens game which was a free for all, the Oilers have gotten virtually nothing from their depth scorers for well over a month now more or less.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
3 impact forwards? Good luck with that.

It'll be one impact forward, likely a depth forward and a depth Dman. There's a thing called the cap that exists unless you're Vegas with endless cap space.
Sorry I meant 2 impact forwards(Henrique, 2RW) and a depth forward(Dowd). Not sure if we get a depth Dman. That might just be Broberg.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Offer the Canucks a 2nd rounder for Lindholm with 50% retention.
Not high on the player, but it would just be funny on so many levels.
Henrique, Lindholm, Dowd would be a nice haul.

Drai-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-RNH-Lindholm
Mcleod-Henrique-Foegele
Janmark-Dowd-Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad