Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: “I’d buy that for a dollar!!!” Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Lol the way the media in Calgary is lamblasting Hanifin right now is the most Lowe/EIG shit I've seen since Lowe and EIG.

It's going to get ugly in Calgary.
IMG_4562.jpeg

This is the best trade deadline I can remember.
Oilers gunning for a cup run and the Flames first deadline with Conroy as gm, who may have overplayed his hand.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Provorov ? Better than Ceci for sure

Provorov is a solid middle pair D, and I think he can be acquired with retention for a late 1st, but tragically he's an LD. I'm not sure if it's worth it to have someone playing on their off side. There might not be a better option.

Reactions: Homesick

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I still think we need to be focusing on the next two windows. I wonder if there is a world where we trade for Guentzel, trade Draisaitl in the off-season (say to Buffalo for Cozens, Power, and Savoie) and then use the extra cap space to actually resign Guentzel.

It’s obviously unlikely but we’d be beastly this year and this is still a crazy strong lineup going into next year:

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Cozens-Guentzel

It’s not going to happen but we need to make some smart choices coming up to extend our window and I can’t see any way that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard are all back in three years.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
View attachment 830284
This is the best trade deadline I can remember.
Oilers gunning for a cup run and the Flames first deadline with Conroy as gm, who may have overplayed his hand.
I laugh at how hard Flames fans are lauding COnroy as some genius.

Their players do not want to come back and they are being FORCED to trade them lol. This is not some genius plan here. He has to get something for them.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I still think we need to be focusing on the next two windows. I wonder if there is a world where we trade for Guentzel, trade Draisaitl in the off-season (say to Buffalo for Cozens, Power, and Savoie) and then use the extra cap space to actually resign Guentzel.

It’s obviously unlikely but we’d be beastly this year and this is still a crazy strong lineup going into next year:

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Cozens-Guentzel

It’s not going to happen but we need to make some smart choices coming up to extend our window and I can’t see any way that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard are all back in three years.

Yeah, absolutely not. Draisaitl isn't gonna get traded.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm pretty sure the way to keep McDavid is to keep Draisaitl, and frankly I think it might be the best course as far as team building regardless of McDavid's wishes. I think they will keep all three, and of course they'll have to find some real low cap hit steals to complement them, but that's fine. Go get the next Verhaege or Forsling or Nichushkin or McCann - all were had for free at one point.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I laugh at how hard Flames fans are lauding COnroy as some genius.

Their players do not want to come back and they are being FORCED to trade them lol. This is not some genius plan here. He has to get something for them.
Yeah they have a new slogan at CP:

‘In Conny We Trust’

Or something like that.
Couldn’t use Wizzard anymore since ‘The Summer of Brad’ went east lol

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'm pretty sure the way to keep McDavid is to keep Draisaitl, and frankly I think it might be the best course as far as team building regardless of McDavid's wishes. I think they will keep all three, and of course they'll have to find some real low cap hit steals to complement them, but that's fine. Go get the next Verhaege or Forsling or Nichushkin or McCann - all were had for free at one point.
I’d love to see it but we could realistically be paying the three players a combined $40M which ends up being almost $50M with Nurse included.

I would obviously love to keep the core together but I think it’s going to be almost impossible to do it and maintain even a semblance of depth.

Regardless, I really hope Holland focuses on the next two years rather than using all our assets for this one playoff run.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Cozens-Guentzel

Even if we did this ridiculous thing you propose... Why does Buffalo mortgage the future for Leon to just leave in free agency?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Cozens-Guentzel

Haha. Cozens, Power and Savoie, that is next level robbery. Buffalo would be next to stupid to do that. If I'm Holland, I'd take that and run.

That is potentially a top pairing D and 2 top line forwards. 3-4 years from now, Power might be a Norris candidate. Cozens is a legit first line player. Savoie is a work in progress high end prospect. Buffalo should keep Savoie and toss a conditional first instead.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I’d love to see it but we could realistically be paying the three players a combined $40M which ends up being almost $50M with Nurse included.

I would obviously love to keep the core together but I think it’s going to be almost impossible to do it and maintain even a semblance of depth.

Regardless, I really hope Holland focuses on the next two years rather than using all our assets for this one playoff run.

I don't think Holland will care as much for the next 2 years when he's off to retirement after this season. It's either he's gonna make small minor depth-like moves or go out with a bang by acquiring the big fishes. I'm hoping it's the bang like Buchnevich and not a depth piece for shit players like Edmundson.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
build up the center... we may not win the super sweepstakes on trade deadline day but we can have the best center depth in the league

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Cozens-Guentzel

I've thought about the scenario of acquiring Guentzel as insurance in case Draisaitl doesn't want to extend for whatever reason this offseason. We should know after the playoffs.

Wouldn't trade him if he wants to stay though

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Ok here is the info you need.

Adam Henrique is a great player. We are all going to like him, he is VERY smart and will help whatever line he is on, but if he is the only key forward addition I think it's considered a strike out by the Oilers.

2 reasons:
1. After watching the Bruins game we need speed/bangers on the wing or guys that can crash the net and score "dirty" goals. This is not Henrique. Adam is slow.
2. Holland is interested in Toffolli and Guentzel. They know how important these 2 players are. If you don't get them it means you struck out.

Henrique plus speed winger (Duclair type) = Good

Henrique plus 4C (Carrick/Kunin) = bust

< 2nd post coming soon >

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ok here is the info you need.

Adam Henrique is a great player. We are all going to like him, he is VERY smart and will help whatever line he is on, but if he is the only key forward addition I think it's considered a strike out by the Oilers.

2 reasons:
1. After watching the Bruins game we need speed/bangers on the wing or guys that can crash the net and score "dirty" goals. This is not Henrique. Adam is slow.
2. Holland is interested in Toffolli and Guentzel. They know how important these 2 players are. If you don't get them it means you struck out.

Henrique plus speed winger (Duclair type) = Good

Henrique plus 4C (Carrick/Kunin) = bust

< 2nd post coming soon >
Yeah, Toffoli would be a great fit for this team. I didn't think Henrique was a poor skater, time must have caught up with him.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Part 2

So most of you probably scrolled right past this and I'm not sure if there is a way to search for old posts or whatever, but I called Henrique to the Oilers. I also posted it on the Lightning and Ducks forms. You can also ask Lightning fans that I have called some stuff correct in the past. I don't bat 100 % tho. Anyways i'm just trying to build some credibility in my posts/opinions for whatever it's worth.

So I'm hearing Henrique to Oilers is done if the Oilers want it. A closed door handshake. I was told to remember that it was Holland that gave Verbeek his start.

Seems to be my understanding Holland will do this unless he burns the assets on Guentzel, Buch, whatever it may be.

Verbeek seems to be giving Holland time to look around a bit here

Sometimes it's hard to post stuff like this because you generally can't win, but here ya go I guess

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Part 2

So most of you probably scrolled right past this and I'm not sure if there is a way to search for old posts or whatever, but I called Henrique to the Oilers. I also posted it on the Lightning and Ducks forms. You can also ask Lightning fans that I have called some stuff correct in the past. I don't bat 100 % tho. Anyways i'm just trying to build some credibility in my posts/opinions for whatever it's worth.

So I'm hearing Henrique to Oilers is done if the Oilers want it. A closed door handshake. I was told to remember that it was Holland that gave Verbeek his start.

Seems to be my understanding Holland will do this unless he burns the assets on Guentzel, Buch, whatever it may be.

Verbeek seems to be giving Holland time to look around a bit here

Sometimes it's hard to post stuff like this because you generally can't win, but here ya go I guess
I wonder if it's more that Holland doesn't want to do a deal during a game? Like the deal was/is nearly done, but come gametime he stepped away to get things done afterwards?

I don't anything about anything, but I expect some news to start coming out in the next few hours.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wonder if it's more that Holland doesn't want to do a deal during a game? Like the deal was/is nearly done, but come gametime he stepped away to get things done afterwards?

I don't anything about anything, but I expect some news to start coming out in the next few hours.

Some dominos will definitely fall today, that much is certain. A lot of GMs don’t like waiting around until the final hours anymore in terms of significant trades.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad