Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "Looking for a trade to happen, making stops along the way."

In the spirit of Cloned's poll threads, what is highest on your offseason Oilers wish list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
"Ken Holland(ier), right this way,
I'll put your coat up on the bed.
Hey man, you've got the real bum's eye for clothes
And come on in, sit right down,
No you're not the first to show
We've all been here since, God, who knows?"

Holland has some money to play with and plenty of holes to fill to start making this team into a perennial contender.

Last thread hit 1000, continue here.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Easily top pair RHD. I don't want to see Bear or Bouchard there, certainly not to start anyway. I don't think Hamilton considers us, but that would be my wish. That being said, if we don't find legit wingers for Connor & Leon, that would be a massive failure/disappointment

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Wingers depth. (Hall, Saad, Hyman, Palmeiri, Coleman, Tatar, etc)
Top pair dman.(Hamilton, Jones, Barrie, etc)
3rd line center.(Kadri, Tierney, Laughton, etc)
1a/1b goalie.(Anderson, Mrazek, Etc)
2nd pair LH dman.(Martinez, Gostisbehere, Murray, etc)

I'm kind of scared this off season we won't see many of these.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wingers depth. (Hall, Saad, Hyman, Palmeiri, Coleman, Tatar, etc)
Top pair dman.(Hamilton, Jones, Barrie, etc)
3rd line center.(Kadri, Tierney, Laughton, etc)
1a/1b goalie.(Anderson, Mrazek, Etc)
2nd pair LH dman.(Martinez, Gostisbehere, Murray, etc)

I'm kind of scared this off season we won't see many of these.

Kadri would be a good add. He can score, plays with an edge and pisses opposing players right off :laugh:.

The problem is, he gets carried away and gets himself suspended when the team needs him the most...in the playoffs.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's weird to see people simultaneously tout Nurse as a Norris-calibre D while also saying we need another top-pairing D. If Nurse is so good, he should be able to carry a pairing.

2LD is a bigger hole to me.
Also seems like a bad idea to sign another bonafide top pair guy to a hefty contract when Nurse needs one of his own.

Top heavy on D, too.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Kadri would be a good add. He can score, plays with an edge and pisses opposing players right off :laugh:.

The problem is, he gets carried away and gets himself suspended when the team needs him the most...in the playoffs.
If you're getting him for a discount, you do it because he'll only be your 3rd line center. It'd be different if he was our 2nd.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You will likely get your wish & we will throw Bear next to him. That is not a good plan, or a plan at all…you will see
That's not what he said though..

There's a big difference between needing to add another top pairing stud defenseman and needing to find a top four guy.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
- Re-sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Adam Larsson.
- Target Adin Hill and Jake Debrusk via trade.
- Buyout James Neal and trade Mikko Koskinen.
- Sign Mikael Granlund via free agency.

Achieve this and what are we looking at in terms of cap flexibility?

Beef Bacon

Jan 9, 2018
Let’s talk bad contract for bad contract deals. Seems like Anaheim is done with Henrique if they are contemplating buying him out would they trade him for James neal? Their contracts have a similar cap hit but neal’s is one year shorter which would save them close to $3.8 million real money and two years of $1.9 against the cap.

oilers get a guy that can play 3rd line centre and should be good for 20 goals.

Reactions: fuswald

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
@Little Fury

More gymnastics.

Since we're playing the gymnastics game, I'll play.
He traded for AA knowing that he could handle the qualifying offer in a rapidly rising cap world then, boom, Covid hit and screwed all that up.
AA was a good bet to provide secondary scoring because he was roughly a 20-30 goal player every season then only had 1 goal in 9 games. That seemed like a "good bet" but it "blew up in his face" because of Covid and worse production than he ever had in the league (small sample size and all) so we should probably give him a bit of a mulligan for that.

Of course that's stupid to dismiss it because it's a bad move at the end of the day.
The Smith signing could have considered a "bad bet" and it "could" have "blown up in his face" but it didn't and in a lot of ways Smith saved the season so it's a good move when it boils down to it.

Reactions: TB12 and North

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
@Little Fury

More gymnastics.

Since we're playing the gymnastics game, I'll play.
He traded for AA knowing that he could handle the qualifying offer in a rapidly rising cap world then, boom, Covid hit and screwed all that up.
AA was a good bet to provide secondary scoring because he was roughly a 20-30 goal player every season then only had 1 goal in 9 games. That seemed like a "good bet" but it "blew up in his face" because of Covid and worse production than he ever had in the league (small sample size and all) so we should probably give him a bit of a mulligan for that.

Of course that's stupid to dismiss it because it's a bad move at the end of the day.

Do you truly not understand the difference between making a move that doesn't pan out due to unforeseen circumstances and making a move that is extremely likely to not pan out based on the information you have at the time?

The Smith signing could have considered a "bad bet" and it "could" have "blown up in his face" but it didn't and in a lot of ways Smith saved the season so it's a good move when it boils down to it.

Yes you can make a bad bet and get lucky but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to make bad bets.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Do you truly not understand the difference between making a move that doesn't pan out due to unforeseen circumstances and making a move that is extremely likely to not pan out based on the information you have at the time?

Yes you can make a bad bet and get lucky but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to make bad bets.

The AA trade looked like it wasn't working out before Covid hit based on his lack of production, Covid complicated the financial aspect.
Wouldn't you agree that it looked like a "good bet" that a guy like AA who has scored goals at a top 6 level every season in the league would do the same alongside McDavid or Draisaitl?

My general point is that you can put asterisks next to most bad or good moves. The only thing that really matters is the results and the result is that the AA trade was a mistake and the Smith signing worked out.

Reactions: TB12 and North

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The AA trade looked like it wasn't working out before Covid hit based on his lack of production, Covid complicated the financial aspect.
Wouldn't you agree that it looked like a "good bet" that a guy like AA who has scored goals at a top 6 level every season in the league would do the same alongside McDavid or Draisaitl?

My general point is that you can put asterisks next to most bad or good moves. The only thing that really matters is the results and the result is that the AA trade was a mistake and the Smith signing worked out.

No, results aren't the only thing that matters, that's an insane thing to say. The process, how you get there, matters a lot, maybe even more.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
my ideal lineup for next year looks like this, obviously a trade or 2 or buyouts to move out $$

RNH - McDavid - JP13
Saad - DRai - Yams
Archibald - Mcleod - Kassian
Shore - Getzlaf - Perry (both on 1-1.5MM deals like Selanne and Kariya in colorado)

Nurse - Seth Jones
Klefbom - Bouchard
Caleb Jones/other - Larsson

SMith
Dreiger

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
For me it's extensive winger depth. The bottom 6 is beyond terrible and we need to be able to compete with teams that win the even strength scoring with all their lines.

RNH + 2 other wingers and play the rookies if they are better than some of the trash we keep seeing.

I would seriously make a play for Hamilton also. Don't have much interest in Jones.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
That Boston interview seems odd… Hall has expressed interest in Boston but he hasn’t sounded like he wants to stay there and nowhere else. I think Tom Gazzola was right. We’re not out of the running. It sort of seems like he’ll sign with Boston if we don’t try to sign him

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That Boston interview seems odd… Hall has expressed interest in Boston but he hasn’t sounded like he wants to stay there and nowhere else. I think Tom Gazzola was right. We’re not out of the running. It sort of seems like he’ll sign with Boston if we don’t try to sign him
I think he signs with Boston before we even get a chance.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I think he's coming back. It'll be interesting to see if Doug MacLean was right all those months back when he said both Hall and RNH will be Oilers for less than 12M between them, which seemed very unlikely at the time but now seems plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille