Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "Looking for a trade to happen, making stops along the way."

In the spirit of Cloned's poll threads, what is highest on your offseason Oilers wish list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The AA trade looked like it wasn't working out before Covid hit based on his lack of production, Covid complicated the financial aspect.
Wouldn't you agree that it looked like a "good bet" that a guy like AA who has scored goals at a top 6 level every season in the league would do the same alongside McDavid or Draisaitl?

My general point is that you can put asterisks next to most bad or good moves. The only thing that really matters is the results and the result is that the AA trade was a mistake and the Smith signing worked out.
As someone who's been happy with Holland's trajectory, no, Athanasiou was a horrendous gamble. It was clear there was very little range to his game and he should've known that coming from the organization that drafted and developed him.

I agree with your premise. You have to take the good with the bad, but Athanasiou was an unnecessary gamble and way out of character compared to the more passive moves since signing here.

Reactions: SwedishFire

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
As someone who's been happy with Holland's trajectory, no, Athanasiou was a horrendous gamble. It was clear there was very little range to his game and he should've known that coming from the organization that drafted and developed him.

I agree with your premise. You have to take the good with the bad, but Athanasiou was an unnecessary gamble and way out of character compared to the more passive moves since signing here.

Doesn't that kind of speak to some flaws in the process that I'm talking about?

Can we even assume there is one at work at this point?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think he's coming back. It'll be interesting to see if Doug MacLean was right all those months back when he said both Hall and RNH will be Oilers for less than 12M between them, which seemed very unlikely at the time but now seems plausible.
It’ll be hell of a good thing if this is true. We’ve had Maclean and Gazzola say he’s coming back. If both come back for around that, it’ll be such a good sign

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Doesn't that kind of speak to some flaws in the process that I'm talking about?

Can we even assume there is one at work at this point?
That there is a process? Ken Holland's unwillingness to commit to term on any of his deals to this point would definitely speak to that. Any of his deals or lack thereof have been of little to no consequence. They've been small beans.

He came in here saying he wants to build a consistently competitive product. In the salary cap era that's been accomplished through consistent draft, development and financial flexibility.

Reactions: AT14C

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thinking about Roster change and what other teams might be looking for, would PIT entertain a Khaira for Blueger deal? They get that size and toughness then want.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That there is a process? Ken Holland's unwillingness to commit to term on any of his deals to this point would definitely speak to that. Any of his deals or lack thereof have been of little to no consequence. They've been small beans.

Other than four years for Zack Kassian, sure, but a lot of that is not a choice, but teh limitations of the salary cap.

He came in here saying he wants to build a consistently competitive product. In the salary cap era that's been accomplished through consistent draft, development and financial flexibility.

That's not the process, that's a vision. And it's clear he's been waiting for this summer to make a bigger splash, but that overarching strategy is not the issue. Process is in the details of how they make the decisions they make and what information they use and while obviously we don't know how they come to their conclusions, the overall impression when you look at various moves like AA and Turris (to name two) is...not a good one.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That Boston interview seems odd… Hall has expressed interest in Boston but he hasn’t sounded like he wants to stay there and nowhere else. I think Tom Gazzola was right. We’re not out of the running. It sort of seems like he’ll sign with Boston if we don’t try to sign him

Which Boston interview?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For sure. Id do a slight overpay just due to his contract though. Under 4M is a steaaal and still gives us flexibility.

Id personally give up Broberg or our first but I think some people might think thats overpay?

What do you need to add to get Gibson? Would need to send salary the other way so Koskinen, Broberg, a A forward prospect and a first?

Reactions: Proko88

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
Rangers need some toughness, maybe Kassian for Blackwell or Gauthier unless we can add to get Chytil. If not I would try pitching him to Jersey with something for Bratt to solve one of the top 6 wing holes. Jersey could use some goalie insurance so maybe at 50% they would take Koskinen. If we are able to move Kassian, I really don't want him staying in the west to be taking runs at our guys too often.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What do you need to add to get Gibson? Would need to send salary the other way so Koskinen, Broberg, a A forward prospect and a first?

CooperativeEnchantedHog-size_restricted.gif

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

When I did this hypothetical in Capfriendly I did:

2021 first
2022 2nd
2023 2nd
Broberg
Lavoie
Koski

For

Gibson
Rakell

Completely unrealistic but fun exercise. Having those two on the team + our cap space was a fun build lol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
When I did this hypothetical in Capfriendly I did:

2021 first
2022 2nd
2023 2nd
Broberg
Lavoie
Koski

For

Gibson
Rakell

Completely unrealistic but fun exercise. Having those two on the team + our cap space was a fun build lol
I think it would be more realistic if it was just for Gibson and our first wasn't a middle to late pick.

Wonder if the 2022 first has more value given the draft class. I'd like to see both of them traded for help but also wouldn't be opposed to drafting Cossa if at all possible this year.

And you just know if they somehow managed to wrangle in Gibson he'd go on to post the worst seasons of his career before being traded and reviving himself somewhere else :D

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
ANA will be in our division going forward so it would take some sort of an overpay to land their players.

Broberg would be an overpayment considering his upside

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
ANA will be in our division going forward so it would take some sort of an overpay to land their players.

Broberg would be an overpayment considering his upside

Isn't his upside basically Larsson? I'd happily deal him for some real help up front.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think it would be more realistic if it was just for Gibson and our first wasn't a middle to late pick.

Wonder if the 2022 first has more value given the draft class. I'd like to see both of them traded for help but also wouldn't be opposed to drafting Cossa if at all possible this year.

And you just know if they somehow managed to wrangle in Gibson he'd go on to post the worst seasons of his career before being traded and reviving himself somewhere else :D

I didn't watch many Ducks games this year, but statistically Gibson had the worst year of his career this past year. Been trending downwards the last three years. I'm sure in good part due to their shitty team, but in games I've watched, didn't seem like the same goalie as I recall from years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad