Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "(I can't get no) Satisfaction"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I mean, I assume getting 50% on Keith would be fairly easy; if Chicago is willing to go 25%, you're having a team like Detroit pay like 700k salary a year for like 2.1 million AAV at 33%. I bet like a 3rd or a 4th gets them on board; real money savings.

I imagine would be much harder and more expensive to get a broker for Neal.
The key with Neal is getting the final team to agree to a buyout. Suppose the intermediary team took on 25% of his contract. In that case, the team would be on the hook for $1.95M in real money and just about $500k per year for 4 years.

This can be done in many ways.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Bear+Kassian for Kapanen from PIT makes more sense IMO. Get your grit from FA and mix in some speed with this move.

Kapanen-McD-Poolparty
Hall-RNH-Draisaitl
Coleman-Goodrow-Yamamoto

Or something along those lines

Coleman isn't signing in Edmonton . Fans throw out names like it is nothing to get them but they got to want to come to Edmonton . We usually have to overpay for UFAs hopefully that is starting to change . Then there RNH at C . He isn't a good C , That time has come and gone .

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Hypothetical offseason:

Trade Jones+3rd for Duncan Keith retained at 50% (alternatives sign Murray, Reilly, Oleksiak, Martinez, Goligoski, Kulikov etc)
Sign Taylor Hall $6Mx5 (alternatives Saad, Hyman, Hoffman, Tatar, Schwartz etc)
Sign Alex Wennberg to $3Mx3 (alternatives Stastny, Getzlaf, Granlund, Haula, Bonino etc)
Sign Barcley Goodrow to $3Mx2 (alternatives Coleman, Janmark, Armia, Perrault etc)

Buyout Koskinen
Re-sign Smith $2Mx1
Sign Chris Driedger $3.5Mx3 (or just don't buy out Koskinen and go with same tandem)

Re-sign Larsson $3.75Mx4
Re-sign Yamamoto $1.85Mx2
Re-sign Benson $875K

Hall-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Goodrow-Wennberg-Kassian
Benson-McLeod-Archibald
Shore, Neal

Nurse-Bear
Keith-Larsson
Russel-Bouchard
Lagesson

Driedger
Smith

With buyouts, Turris in the minors and Klefbom on LTIR team would have ~$200K in cap space.

Adds a top line winger, revamps the 3rd line, adds a tandem starter to pair off with Smith and hopefully solidify the 2nd pairing.

This is just me having some fun.

The point isn't so much who the specifics are but rather that there is a lot of money to play around with and a lot of options with varying costs that there really is no excuse for Holland not to address most of the holes on the roster going into next season.

I don't know if I agree with all your moves but I've messed around on cap friendly myself and what I come away with are some smaller but significant moves and I still have cap space to play with. And that's without buying out our three most common targets.

Your point that there's room to play is bang on.

I still hate the idea of buyouts as you might enjoy the space now but come to rue the move in a few years.

Take Koskinen. If Oil buy him out and replace him with a guy earning less than $3M on a two year commitment means they've saved money. If they just take the extra money and wait to see what happens later or sign guys who are questionable at best...why bother?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
The key with Neal is getting the final team to agree to a buyout. Suppose the intermediary team took on 25% of his contract. In that case, the team would be on the hook for $1.95M in real money and just about $500k per year for 4 years.

Holland needs to hire you as a consultant....

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Barrie was a great stop gap during a year that we knew the Oilers weren't going to be able to compete in the playoffs and hopefully was a good mentor for the offensive facets of Bouch and Bear's games, but the Oilers need to move on; they need another Larsson instead of a Barrie
But they would be better if they can resign Barrie at a good number and trade Bear for forward help.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

To me this would be much easier if this was a back diving contract. If Neal was owed 60% of his cap hit these last two years some team like AZ might be inclined to take an asset and spend a few bucks to get bang towards hitting their cap minimum.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I don’t mind Keith but we shouldn’t do the Hawks any favors. Their hands are tied and we have all the leverage , no bending over

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Nurse Barrie
Ekholm Larsson
Keith Bouchard
Samorukov
You need to mark posts like this NSFW. That’s the sexiest d lineup I’ve ever seen as an oiler fan (only been a fan since 06/07)

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I don’t mind Keith but we shouldn’t do the Hawks any favors. Their hands are tied and we have all the leverage , no bending over

We'd have more leverage if there were early retirement penalties for backdiving contracts.

Keith could tell the Hawks trade me here and help that team out or I'll sink you.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
We'd have more leverage if there were early retirement penalties for backdiving contracts.

Keith could tell the Hawks trade me here and help that team out or I'll sink you.

Actually I stand corrected.

The penalties are still there but can't exceed the yearly cap hit in any given year. But the penalty will be paid so begs the question how many years and how much could an early Keith retirement cost the Hawks?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’m lukewarm on Keith. We’re buying a high performance sports car from a rental company that still drives well but has 300,000 HARD kilometres on it. It could be fun but could explode tomorrow. We better be getting him for next to nothing AND if we are getting him Neal better be going back the other way, or some other sort of cap management wizardry. We’ve got a lot of other problems to fix that Keith doesn’t begin to address so you don’t just break the bank because a sexy greybeard wants to move closer to his son. Holland just finished playing hardball with Nuge, so I can’t imagine he is not playing murderball with Bowman and the Hawks. At least I hope so.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Actually I stand corrected.

The penalties are still there but can't exceed the yearly cap hit in any given year. But the penalty will be paid so begs the question how many years and how much could an early Keith retirement cost the Hawks?

I did a rough calculation and my guess is that if he were to retire today the Hawks would face a $4.5125M recapture penalty the next two seasons. And they can't trade this.

If I'm right this is leverage the Oilers and the player and his agent should be using.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I did a rough calculation and my guess is that if he were to retire today the Hawks would face a $4.5125M recapture penalty the next two seasons. And they can't trade this.

If I'm right this is leverage the Oilers and the player and his agent should be using.
I believe Hart Levine said on Oilers now that if Keith were to retire after one year Chicago would have to pay the recapture penalty and we would actually get 3+ million in bonus cap space. Its doubtful that Keith would want to leave his old team high and dry like that though after they do him a favor.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
To me this would be much easier if this was a back diving contract. If Neal was owed 60% of his cap hit these last two years some team like AZ might be inclined to take an asset and spend a few bucks to get bang towards hitting their cap minimum.

It depends on who the third party is. On a back diving deal a team like Ottawa might be a good partner. But on a deal for someone like Neal a Team like NYR might be a candidate. They are less concerned about money but may not want t take on all that much extra cap space if the asset is something they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad