Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "(I can't get no) Satisfaction"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Duncan Keith heavily rumored to be wanting to be closer to his family and will accept a trade to western Canada or the Pacific Northwest with the Oilers being speculated to be in on it.

A lot of posters are on board with bringing Keith in as some do not want him anywhere near the Oilers.

Doesn't matter who the GM is, some fans will be happy, some will 'get no Satisfaction' with the moves made this summer.

Plus Keith Richards and Duncan Keith have "Keith'" in their names so I figured this was an appropriately titled thread.

Continue here...

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Can Duncan Keith still play competitive games when it matters?

Asking for a friend.

Just saw Arvidsson dealt to LA. That's a bummer.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Koskinen + 4th for Keith (@50%) after the expansion draft.

4.5 M for 2.75 M (+1.75 M cap space)

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Hopefully Kenny was at least in on that and got out bid or this is going to be a very disappointing summer.
Especially with Klef's future with the team in question marks.

I haven't watched any Chicago games to give any valid assessment on Keith so I have no idea if he's able to play competitively.

Bottom line is that we need a Klef replacement so hopefully we can get a deal done.

EDIT: re: Arvidsson. I don't think we had the picks to offer Nashville like LA did. So that's moot.

Last edited:
Reactions: russ99

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Keith would be a fantastic add if we’re shedding salary as well.

exactly who we’ve been lacking. A vet who can still play top 4 minutes while mentoring our promising young dmen.

One of my biggest wants since we drafted all these promising young D is a “has been” number 1 who can bring the young guys along slowly while playing a second pairing role.

that said, Neal basically needs to be going the other way.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I would have time for Keith if the deal was right. He can replace Kris Russel, bring some 'veteran' respect from the zebras.

Reactions: ujju2

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Keith would be a fantastic add if we’re shedding salary as well.

exactly who we’ve been lacking. A vet who can still play top 4 minutes while mentoring our promising young dmen.

One of my biggest wants since we drafted all these promising young D is a “has been” number 1 who can bring the young guys along slowly while playing a second pairing role.

that said, Neal basically needs to be going the other way.

Or Koskinen if they retain on Keith

Reactions: 3IR

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Would love to have Keith on the 3rd pairing with to help break Bouchard in with some stability.
I can't imagine the Oilers would add Keith and then also add an additional guy to play ahead of him on the 2nd pair. Even if Keith was acquired at 50% that's probably too much cap to commit to the 2nd and 3rd LHD while also addressing other issues on the roster.

Reactions: Cypress

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I can't imagine the Oilers would add Keith and then also add an additional guy to play ahead of him on the 2nd pair. Even if Keith was acquired at 50% that's probably too much cap to commit to the 2nd and 3rd LHD while also addressing other issues on the roster.

It all depends if Klefbom is back, if Klefbom is gone then he probably plays on the 2nd pairing with Larsson.

Nurse
Klefbom
Keith

That’s a pretty decent left side compared to what we rolled out last year with Russell, Jones, or Lagesson in the lineup.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Duncan Keith would bring some veteran swagger and gamesmanship similar to what Lucic brought his first season. He doesn't need to be the player he was in 2010...he needs to be good enough. I like adding veterans who believe in the team coming in to mentor the kids. The fact that the Oilers wouldn't be married to the guy for 6 more years and only one is a bonus. If he's good enough this year and a depth defenseman next year would constitute a win in my books.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
two problems I have with Keith

Contract is : 5.538 for two more season

even at 50% retention how much gas does he have, how would he fit in with our system and what would the ask be from the hawks?

If he had one year left? I would not care as much--but it is that second year that causes me concern. He has played a lot of hockey over the past 16 years

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

even at 50% retention how much gas does he have, how would he fit in with our system and what would the ask be from the hawks?

If he had one year left? I would not care as much--but it is that second year that causes me concern. He has played a lot of hockey over the past 16 years

Would be a horrible use of cap space. We want to free up cap space not go neutral for some guy we want to dump for a 38 year old guy for two years.

Reactions: Vagabond

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Would be a horrible use of cap space. We want to free up cap space not go neutral for some guy we want to dump for a 38 year old guy for two years.
It really wouldnt be horrible. More like ideal assuming Keith is an upgrade over Kulikov. 2 yr stop gap 2nd pairing veteran LD is exactly what we need and we have the cap space.
I dont think CHI is touching Neal. I would do straight up swap for Kassian. Rights to Kahun if they want

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Doesnt matter what his age is as long as he is outperforming Russell, Jones, Lagesson, Samurokov and Broberg at LD.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
DNB just posted a new article on the Athletic:

What I'm hearing about the Oilers offseason: The latest on Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom, Kraken plans and more

It's behind a paywall so some highlights:
  • Larsson could re-sign soon, potentially as early as next week
  • Barrie is done in Edmonton if Larsson is back (likely)
  • Klefbom status still unknown. He'll likely try to rehab it and then re-evaluate. He likely won't be protected in the ED either, if Larsson is re-signed by then
  • Smith negotiations are ongoing but if he isn't re-signed then Skinner is likely protected
  • Yamamoto might not be re-signed until later in the summer (will likely be a 2 year / bridge deal)
  • Broberg and Holloway will likely start in the AHL next year
  • This seasons first round pick could be a goalie. Tyler Wright has said he wants to draft BPA not by need
  • Still murky why Blumel wasn't resigned - Holland says Blumel didn't want to sign but Blumel's agent said there wasn't much interest from the Oilers either. Oilers would have had their director of player development checking up on players such as Blumel a few times in a normal year. This past season was different because of the pandemic and because that position is vacant. Holland still has to replace Howson who left last year.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
One thing with Keith though is that given how little his actual salary is, it makes having a third team coming in to retain very palatable. He's owed just 3.6 million dollars over two years for a caphit expenditure of 11 million dollars. To outfits like Arizona or Ottawa that's a pretty screaming deal if they're trying to ensure they reach the cap floor; if they retain/spend 1 million in real dollars, they're basically getting 3 million in salary cap hit.

You could have Chicago send him to say Detroit retaining 25%, leaving his cap hit at 4.13 mill per year, then have Detroit retain 50% and have his cap hit only be like 2.07 million AAV. Meanwhile Detroit is paying 0.675 million real dollars for 2.2 million AAV.

Chicago does it as a favor to Keith. 3rd party does it to save real dollars, Oilers get am upgrade.

Win-win-win.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Oilers would have had their director of player development checking up on players such as Blumel a few times in a normal year. This past season was different because of the pandemic and because that position is vacant. Holland still has to replace Howson who left last year.

giphy.gif

Sounds like an Oiler thing to do but at the same time wtf???

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
It really wouldnt be horrible. More like ideal assuming Keith is an upgrade over Kulikov. 2 yr stop gap 2nd pairing veteran LD is exactly what we need and we have the cap space.
I dont think CHI is touching Neal. I would do straight up swap for Kassian. Rights to Kahun if they want

If they eat at least $2.5M of his salary it's manageable. I'd be satisfied foisting Turris on them for a straight swap. Frees up a million next year in cap space and $3M the following season.

Keith would need to be solid next year and good enough in 2023. He could even be a nice 7th d-man by his last year and hoping one of the three prospects percolating in the AHL will be ready in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad