Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "(I can't get no) Satisfaction"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I have been armchair GM’ing on cap friendly and I have come up with a half dozen teams better than that one. He is right about one thing though, if Barrie will sign for 4x4.5m you have to take it. Bear loses his spot and we run this.

Nurse. Barrie
New #2 LD. Larson
Laggesson. Bouchard

Klefbom steps into Lagessons spot for playoffs.

After 19 months off and no pre-season? No thanks

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Barrie was a great stop gap during a year that we knew the Oilers weren't going to be able to compete in the playoffs and hopefully was a good mentor for the offensive facets of Bouch and Bear's games, but the Oilers need to move on; they need another Larsson instead of a Barrie

Reactions: Anarchism

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Barrie was a great stop gap during a year that we knew the Oilers weren't going to be able to compete in the playoffs and hopefully was a good mentor for the offensive facets of Bouch and Bear's games, but the Oilers need to move on; they need another Larsson instead of a Barrie

I agree they need another Larsson (preferably Adam Larsson) but I disagree that Barrie was a stop gap in year everyone knew the Oilers wouldn't compete and that it's time to move on.

I don't think the Oilers need to prioritize Barrie over Bear but at the right price and the options Bear opens up - ya, I'm more than agreeable about a scenario where Barrie returns.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I mean yeah, those are all fair points. Hopefully if the deal is being worked on, Holland finds a way to make the money work and not screw our cap over. But those labelling him "barely an NHL player" etc... come on.

I think he can be a good vet presence for the team, Holland pretty much said that he is interesting in adding these types of players in his end of season press conference (albeit in a very roundabout way). By all accounts thus far it seems like he wants to come here, so that is also a bonus.

He wants to be here, has a boat load of experience and his contract is only 2 years. His cap hit is big for what he brings, but not many defensemen bring the experience that he has and he can just be "one of the defensemen" here and doesn't need to be "the guy" here. Seems like a good fit for us IMO.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
He wants to be here, has a boat load of experience and his contract is only 2 years. His cap hit is big for what he brings, but not many defensemen bring the experience that he has and he can just be "one of the defensemen" here and doesn't need to be "the guy" here. Seems like a good fit for us IMO.

Yup.

And no offense to the guys like Andrew Ferrence but even if Keith is 60% of what he was he's still going to be good enough to make an impact on the ice and when he speaks up he's got some cache to his resume.

I think back to when Lucic was first here and while not perfect he brought some intangibles to the team. I recall him talking about how March wasn't a month to be stressed about but rather a time to really enjoy the games. I remember a rule he brought where good or bad whatever happens in a game it's forgotten about and the team stops talking about two hours later. Onto the next game.

Those are veteran leaders who bring something to a young and sometimes fragile team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

North

Jun 25, 2009
It’s interesting taking a twirl around other boards.

Some Winnipeg fans are hoping they can sign Larsson during FA.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
If Holland can get Keith way before free agency, maybe Keith can convince his old buddy, Brandon Saad to sign with the Oilers too.

I never quite understood the argument that former teammates are dying to play with one another again.

I've got former and current coworkers that I hope I never have to work with again.

Plus...I think Saad stays stateside.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
One of the posts I read, the amount they were willing to offer him was eye opening. They are okay with giving him 5.25 mill per.
I know some advanced analytics guys like him cause while his offense wasn't there (didn't have good offensive numbers) his defensive game was elite.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I know some advanced analytics guys like him cause while his offense wasn't there (didn't have good offensive numbers) his defensive game was elite.

I like him. He was great for us this season but damn that’s a lot for him.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I never quite understood the argument that former teammates are dying to play with one another again.

I've got former and current coworkers that I hope I never have to work with again.

Plus...I think Saad stays stateside.

On the flip side of your post, I have several former co-workers I'd love to work with again. He and Saad did win a couple cups together. Saad has been mentioned as a "want" by some posters.

But I do think he stays on the US side as well despite fitting the bill for an Oilers need.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
On the flip side of your post, I have several former co-workers I'd love to work with again. He and Saad did win a couple cups together. Saad has been mentioned as a "want" by some posters.

But I do think he stays on the US side as well despite fitting the bill for an Oilers need.

Haha! Ya. You got me there. I just don't understand why this always comes up that teammates or linemates are hoping to one day play together again.

I'm pretty sure there are some that guys are happy they never have to play with again.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
One of the posts I read, the amount they were willing to offer him was eye opening. They are okay with giving him 5.25 mill per.

Whatever team gives Larsson 5+ million will regret it within the year. I think this is just some posturing by Larsson and Holland so that a protection spot isn’t wasted on him. He’ll sign with us after the expansion draft for around 4.5 million.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Damn straight we are.

Edit:

I like RNH and think he signed a good deal for the team. But if someone tells me that it's now impossible to keep Larsson I'd happily rip that contract up and keep the Swede.

I don't see why we can't fit both. Hopefully Holland can free up even more room with the Koskinen and Neal contracts.

He probably misses his buddy Klefbom, we ought to trade for Ekholm after the expansion draft to help fill the void.

An Ekholm/Larsson pairing would be something else. I'm down :nod:

Reactions: CanmoreMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad