Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What Comes First? A New HC, a New GM or a Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
No, I wouldn't trade Talbot right away either. I'm looking more February-ish myself. If Koskinen outright steals the #1 job and is looking like the long-term solution in net, I trade Talbot at the deadline or a week or two before. He's not going to sign for less money to be a backup again and you don't want to lose him for nothing either come July 1st.

I'm thinking the same. If it's pretty clear by the trade deadline who is the better bet to put your chips on come free agency, then you can make a deal. It's still way too early to be considering a Talbot trade, but if the current trend continues, then that becomes something to seriously consider later on.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm thinking the same. If it's pretty clear by the trade deadline who is the better bet to put your chips on come free agency, then you can make a deal. It's still way too early to be considering a Talbot trade, but if the current trend continues, then that becomes something to seriously consider later on.

On the flip side...as you said in your other post, we'll try to pretend we're surprised when he gets traded before Christmas :laugh:.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Maybe Talbot + Benning for Simmonds?

Simmonds is having a tough year, as I can tell you because he's in my hockey pool.

Playing lower down the lineup now and he's getting a bit old, but he'd definitely bring some of what we wanted from Looch. Lots of penalties though.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Wouldn't mind giving Talbot another crack at it. He may thrive under Hitch's system. Most goalies do. He also likes it here and lives here year round. Maybe he takes a discount? Who knows.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Simmonds is having a tough year, as I can tell you because he's in my hockey pool.

Playing lower down the lineup now and he's getting a bit old, but he'd definitely bring some of what we wanted from Looch. Lots of penalties though.
Simmonds has 9 goals in 21 games, a 35 goal pace?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You do not trade Talbot, you cannot rely on one goalie in this league. He will be better under a tighter zone system vs the man on man we were playing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not sure it would be worth trading Talbot.

There's basically only two worse starters in the league right now(Murray and Smith). I can't see there really being enough of a market to be worth it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers aren't winning anything this year. Why not get something for Talbot while teams are desperate for goalies?

If we can get a 2nd or more for Talbot, why not? A mid round pick or less, you keep him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers aren't winning anything this year. Why not get something for Talbot while teams are desperate for goalies?

A. They are desperate for goalies that stop pucks, something Talbot hasn't been doing.
B. This team must make the playoffs this year, and the Pacific is ripe for a weak team like ours to make it. You trade Talbot and you inhibit the teams ability to do that. Koskinen gets injured and Montoya is our number one. No thanks.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I'm not sure it would be worth trading Talbot.

There's basically only two worse starters in the league right now(Murray and Smith). I can't see there really being enough of a market to be worth it.

What about Stl and Car also?

Talbot is better than Allen and Darling in my opinion. Talbot might thrive there too playing in front of either of those defenses.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Predicting goalie performance is voodoo, but this conversation really reminds me of when Nilsson was being anointed as the starter of the future, and Talbot should have been traded before his value sank, back in 2015-16.

Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed Koskinen's play and Talbot has needed to be better, but making long term plans on goaltending is a science that is well beyond me.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A. They are desperate for goalies that stop pucks, something Talbot hasn't been doing.
B. This team must make the playoffs this year, and the Pacific is ripe for a weak team like ours to make it. You trade Talbot and you inhibit the teams ability to do that. Koskinen gets injured and Montoya is our number one. No thanks.
Oilers have Starrett and I'm not even sure Talbot is even as good as Montoya now. He's UFA and will definitely jettison the moment he's free.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Predicting goalie performance is voodoo, but this conversation really reminds me of when Nilsson was being anointed as the starter of the future, and Talbot should have been traded before his value sank, back in 2015-16.

Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed Koskinen's play and Talbot has needed to be better, but making long term plans on goaltending is a science that is well beyond me.
It's not voodoo that's just Lowtide's line.

And that's utterly disingenuous to suggest you could expect Talbot have the struggles he has had after his masterful season. It's easy to look back NOW and suggest it, then it's a completely riduclous idea, because you had no one to take the role.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I don't want to read too much in to this, but doing some online shopping for Black Friday and landed on Pro-Am Sports page, can you guess which Oilers goalies jerseys are being cleared out? No other current Oilers jerseys are on sale. This could just be because he's an impending free agent and they likely have a huge inventory they need to move out, but the timing is definitely interesting!

Reactions: Aerrol

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Goalies are weird and temperamental, if the defense is terrible and they lose their confidence its hard to get back. If the coach rubs them the wrong way its hard for them to be motivated to play well for a schmuck. I will reserve my judgement of Talbot until he plays for the new coach and the team improves in their own end if possible.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I would trade Talbot for a goalie making less and also 1 year left, then with the extra money use it to bring in a winger (i.e. Toffoli or Silfverberg, etc.)

Reactions: McCanovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would trade Talbot for a goalie making less and also 1 year left, then with the extra money use it to bring in a winger (i.e. Toffoli or Silfverberg, etc.)
That's exactly the type of move Chia should be looking at

Talbot+Spooner+Benning for a winger+goalie

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
All we're going to get for Talbot is another Talbot (struggling goalie).

On the off chance we could get a goalie that is a backup with starter potential (like Talbot was when he came here) it may work. But why would would a team trade a cheap, starter potential goalie for Talbot.

Talbot would have value at the trade deadline.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You're right, but you likely take a goaltender back in the deal.

Those trades only happen if the money and contract terms even out. Your only trading Talbot if there’s another struggling goalie on an expiring $4M deal. Therefore your better with the devil you know.

IMO the only way Talbot is traded is if the team tanks and it’s a deadline deal to a playoff bound team with an injured or struggling goalie that has the cap space.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Those trades only happen if the money and contract terms even out. Your only trading Talbot if there’s another struggling goalie on an expiring $4M deal. Therefore your better with the devil you know.

IMO the only way Talbot is traded is if the team tanks and it’s a deadline deal to a playoff bound team with an injured or struggling goalie that has the cap space.
I disagree, because the Devil you know is soon to be a UFA and if you've actually lost confidence in his ability to win you games, the Devil you don't is probably a better option, imo.

And if you're working from a position where you have confidence in Koskinen as a starter(ish), then getting another NHL goalie who might respond better in this market and use Talbot's previous success to add value to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad