Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What Comes First? A New HC, a New GM or a Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I predict nothing unless Katz himself forces a move. Chia is seemingly trapped behind bad contacts and doesn't want to admit he was wrong with tmac, so there's no doubt he gives him the season to turn it around.

I'm thinking at best, we trade a a fringe player for a fringe player, at worst we trade something like nuge for Faulk. It's just another year where 30 teams know we need offensive dmen, so they play hardball and we dont get squat.

This is why I was so insistent on improving the team immediately after the playoff run. We weren't in desperation mode yet so we may have had actual negotiating power. Instead we banked on "internal depth" to replace Eberle, the rest of the d stepping up in the absence of sekera, and Talbot to play high quality Hockey with low quality d.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean they're still in the thick of it so nothing will happen until they're hopelessly out of the playoff picture.

It would be so Oilers to wait until there's no hope to try and install hope.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Maybe I'm being stupidly optimistic, but I still think if you just fix the defence (even without getting a big piece), you'll simultaneously address a lot of issues with this team. It's biggest flaw with this roster, they need more offence from the blueline. Without Sekera, they lack a defenceman that can with certainty score 30 points, let alone 40 or even 50.

A better transistion means the forwards get the puck in better spots to attack, and that you also spend less time chasing in the defensive zone (which helps the goalies). Hell, better offensive pointmen would also help get the puck on goal, which helps the guys who need to go to the net to score (RE: perhaps they could also bounce the puck in off Lucic's a$$ once and a while.)

Bring up Bear, get a proper offensive 2nd pairing defenceman, and maybe upgrade the 2nd line RW. Make those changes and I can see this team makes some headway (for example, add in Green + Vanek from Detroit).

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Vanek
Lucic-Strome-Chiasson
Khaira/Caggs-Brodziak-Kassian
Khaira/Caggs

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Green
Russell-Bear
Garrison

That looks far more solid to my eye. Myers, Vatanen, Faulk, Shattenkirk, and Ceci would all fit this mold too, and none would/should cost an arm or a leg to aquire...

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Better players don't fix a shit system run by a stubborn dinosaur. So we move up a few spots in the standings and then Todd's teams come unglued in the playoffs when it matters most or when opposing coaches fool him with trickery like line-changing from opposite ends of the bench or getting in the refs heads before a series. Or using timeouts....like ever.

Reactions: Studz

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If they lose to the Habs tomorrow (with another bad performance and a bunch of Habs fans in the building) you would think the pressure to make a change would be reaching a critical level.

But then again, maybe not.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Just read that LA lost their replacement for Jonathan Quick, Jack Campbell, to a meniscus injury for 4-6 weeks. They are now going to rely on Budaj who has had one start and an AHL goalie.

Sooooo, what about Talbot to LA for, maybe...Phaneuf, or a different defensemen? Have to admit that I don't know their roster that well. However, can you think of another team that could be in more dire straits for a goalie? And, salary wise, it may not cost us too much if we make them take Benning with Talbot and retain a bit of salary?

Wow, this armchair GM'ing is fun...lol.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I doubt that they want to make any harsh moves with their team in the basement.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean they're still in the thick of it so nothing will happen until they're hopelessly out of the playoff picture.

It would be so Oilers to wait until there's no hope to try and install hope.

Sort of like deciding to start to play in the middle of the third when we are down by 3 goals.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Can be a trade, we have no viable capital to trade and our gm has such a rep as a soft touch that we will get owned in any trade right now. If things continue mac will get fired (as he should) and if things stay bad chia will make on last dumb trade to try and save his but from this off season.

for sure the #1 thing should be the coach getting the axe. What he is preaching and teaching has not worked for 2 years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who would do Drai for Doughty straight up if that was on the table? (Yes I know...NMC... but ignore that for a moment).

Me. Then I'd flip one of our defensemen not named Larsson, Klefbom or Bouchard for a top 6 forward and I'd move Strome for futures or a winger.

Caggiula-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-RNH-Marody
Lucic-Khaira-(Strome trade return)
Chiasson-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Doughty
Nurse-Larsson
Jones-Benning

Next season:

Caggiula-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Rieder-RNH-Marody
Lucic-McLeod-Yamamoto/Chiasson/Benson
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson

Klefbom-Doughty
Nurse-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard

We'd still be relying heavily on Connor and Nuge to create offense but we'd be rock solid on defense and would get a lot more offense from our 1st and 3rd pairings and we'd have legit PP point threats.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Who would do Drai for Doughty straight up if that was on the table? (Yes I know...NMC... but ignore that for a moment).

You're talking about Drew Doughty, top3 dman in the league who is now signed long-term. Thats a no brainer.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
For sure, no doubt. Drai is a 70+ point 2 way c/w signed for 7 years. Doughty is the best all around dman in the league signed for 8 years. Only addinf 3 million in cap. No brainer.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Still think getting rid of the tire fire that is Benning would be a great idea. As some have said, when Talbs performs like a starting goalie as opposed to a PeeWee washout, I might consider that this trade suggestion would classify as "trading a starter." Along with that, Phaneuf has a bomb of a shot as we can remember from his Calgary days and even now if you look at his season highlights. I mean, really, at least his shot can hit the net more than 50% of the time, which is more than can be said for Klefbom, Larsson, Benning and Russell combined (ok, maybe a very slight exaggeration there).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad