Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
You give new players two and a half weeks to gel, and you give a new GM 40 games to turn 20 years around. There's really no helping you.

The only GM I can think of that is of like mind with people and their knee-jerk, overdramatical overreactions was Peter Chiarelli. Thank Christ we got rid of that guy.
Lots of poster have tried to talk reason to this guy....he has restated the same thing 15 times....

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I eagerly await contention in 2049.
The truth does hurt. It pains me as a fan to see another season of McDavid & Draisaitl's prime be wasted. However, Holland cannot ignore the reality that the Oilers will most likely not be a playoff team at the trade deadline. It will be his decision to determine whether the Oilers are buying or selling.

The St. Louis Blues sold players such as Paul Stastny when they were out of a playoff position. And they won the cup this past June.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Strome just had a 4 point night

Add him to the long list of Oilers who had success elsewhere. I can't wait for us to run RNH and Nurse out of town.
I can't even fathom that we have living breathing human beings who have watched RNH and want to keep that player at a raise

MINDBOGGLING stuff. We love our mediocrity

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are bottom ten in point percentage in the entire league. This statistic leads me to belive that Ken Holland will not acquire a rental this season. In fact, I could see the Oilers trading expiring contracts at the trade deadline in order to acquire additional draft picks. A trade like this would fit Holland's plan of drafting and developing players.

He's going to get himself fired if he does not start showing some urgency.

"Draft & develop" is a bull shit plan at this point, that's not going to work he has to show some flexibility and creativity past that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can tel this board is going to be fun as loss pile up and we slip further out of the playoffs.

There is nothing Holland can do till we shed some more bad contracts

Today's bad joke

How bad of A GM is Holland? The Netherlands are dropping using Holland as part of their tourist ADS

Reactions: AT14C and RegDunlop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The truth does hurt. It pains me as a fan to see another season of McDavid & Draisaitl's prime be wasted. However, Holland cannot ignore the reality that the Oilers will most likely not be a playoff team at the trade deadline. It will be his decision to determine whether the Oilers are buying or selling.

The St. Louis Blues sold players such as Paul Stastny when they were out of a playoff position. And they won the cup this past June.
The Blues are a vastly better team than the Oilers with pieces at every position. The Oilers are set in one position and have to cripple it because they have no depth anywhere else in the lineup.

The rebuilding has to start sometime. Watching other teams lap us is very frustrating. Might as well sell now before it gets worse.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think I would’ve just preferred if we were **** out of the gate instead of this cruel mirage.

To come from that peak to this valley has been a train wreck before our very eyes.

Thankfully I still have the ODR and my mens league to enjoy hockey.

The Oilers are back to just pissing me off every time I watch them lately.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He's going to get himself fired if he does not start showing some urgency.

"Draft & develop" is a bull **** plan at this point, that's not going to work he has to show some flexibility and creativity past that.
I stated that his plan this season is to draft & develop. However, in the future offseasons, Holland will have more creativity with more cap space.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The Blues are a vastly better team than the Oilers with pieces at every position. The Oilers are set in one position and have to cripple it because they have no depth anywhere else in the lineup.

The rebuilding has to start sometime. Watching other teams lap us is very frustrating. Might as well sell now before it gets worse.
Yeah, the Blues were in a much better situation. I have feeling that this season is going to become even more frustrating

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I stated that his plan this season is to draft & develop. However, in the future offseasons, Holland will have more creativity with more cap space.

To sign who really? UFA market is the worst way to build a team.

The Oilers are going to have to learn the hard way that they are going to have to trade assets and since they don't have many good players and can't afford to lose any of the good ones -- that means they are going to have to trade picks and prospects.

There is no realistic time line otherwise where you can build even a Wild Card range playoff team in the 2 years before McDavid explodes on the team and serious, potentially irreparable damage is done to the franchise's relationship with him.

Even Mario Lemieux by this point of his career was get real help from his organization that was making huge trades like the Coffey one to get him a decent supporting cast.

The Oilers don't have years here to waste on being patient. That's just the truth.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Holland will likely do both...sell and buy ...

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Strome just had a 4 point night

Add him to the long list of Oilers who had success elsewhere. I can't wait for us to run RNH and Nurse out of town.

Strome had different linemates every week here and of course ahl linemates to boot.

He did have flashes in his Islander days so I was optimistic at that time.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
To come from that peak to this valley has been a train wreck before our very eyes.

Thankfully I still have the ODR and my mens league to enjoy hockey.

The Oilers are back to just pissing me off every time I watch them lately.
When Holland failed in UFA to get a couple of top 6 wingers alot of posters here knew that the season was a write off anyways....that we would become a one line team and fixing most of the bottom 6 included Pk would help but not near enough. Giving people hope for this season ...not so good ...and its likely to stay this bad or get worse....cause now he needs to find out where 3 or 4 key farm hands are in development.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So when does the grace period end? Teams have turned around their fortunes in a fraction of the time it’s taken to get this carcass in the air.
Nothing I say will suddenly convince you that Ken Holland hasn't completely failed in his task 40 games into a 5 year contract. But I'll state my opinion once more.

For 15 years this organization has had a terrible staff dedicated to identifying and developing real NHL talent. Nobody was ever removed when new bodies were brought in to right the ship and as a result this franchise has failed to draft and develop any actual talent outside of the first round, barring a very few oddities. That's why the team is consistently bad year after year. Not because they won't go out and snatch up all the guys who happen to have decent, or bounce back starts to the season. You can't build anything on hindsight. It's the same reason Hall and Eberle never had any success here, the place has been devoid of anything resembling NHL depth for as long as I can remember. Sustained depth and a constant pipeline of good talent that is properly nurtured is not built through trades. That's why good teams are consistently good, and why when they do have downturns it isn't spread across a handful of seasons. That's why Edmonton swims in futility for almost two decades.

It's extremely unfortunate that Ken Holland arrived 4 years after McDavid had to suffer under PC & Company, but best player in the world or not the only way this franchise ever becomes a legitimate, sustainable success is if they do overhaul their drafting and development. Mcuh to the chagrin of some this means sticking relatively to the plan and laying his own groundwork in the first season or two. This is something I believe Ken Holland knows a thing or two about, and I don't really care if some folks think he's just a stupid dinosaur that doesn't understand the game anymore. He's one of the most well respected hockey minds currently in the game with the connections that go along with it. He's the first one to actually remove pieces of the old regime and fill them with his own. He picked his own coach who is known for getting more out of rosters not built of much. He took a couple of swings at free agents. Whiffes on some, hit on a couple as minor upgrades, and came short on others. With almost no cap space, and a decent chunk opening up after this season he was straight forward about his approach and plan which was to go with the few tweaks he did make and see where everything wound up at the halfway mark. Despite the sky is falling screams of impending doom, this team is not even close to being eliminated from wild card contention.

Knowing all this, I disagree with the notion that he has somehow failed in his task of righting a ship that's been rotting at the bottom of the ocean for 15 years because after the 40 game mark the team is 20-17-4 and in the thick of not only their own division but the wildcard as well. Exactly where they should have been heading into this season.

Edit: Holy f***in ramble. I apologize :D

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Can not compare the two situations at all :laugh:

The Blues had what we call leverage to make that move at that time.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I would say, addressing the forward crop. They need a legit, solid two-way 45-50 pt top6 winger
AND three 30 pt bottom six players, one of which plays C and is over 50% at the draw

Gagner, Granlund, Russell, Archibald, Khaira, Nygard
These are AHL quality players.. replace them with the above and you easily make the playoffs

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At this point I'm OK with giving Yamamoto and Benson both a shot.

Sometimes getting in to NHL games can at least temporarily give a player a shot in the ass that the AHL can't. It's not like Bear had spectacular numbers in the AHL last year.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
i honestly dont care anymore....Trade anyone not named McDrai....everyone else is expendable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
i honestly dont care anymore....Trade anyone not named McDrai....everyone else is expendable.

If it can buy the organization two years in the playoffs even as a low seed/1st round exit I would agree more or less.

Bear, Nurse, Bouchard I would like to keep but even there if there's a proper package available that is really great, I would consider it.

Just don't trade your freaking 2nd best player for Steve Staois again.

1st round pick 2020 (top 5 protected)
1st round pick 2021 (top 5 protected)

Can also be put on the table as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Mez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad