Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Have a Lot of Bottom 6 Forwards Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd do it anyway. I think he could be resigned. If he didn't want to stay he would fetch a large package at some future trade deadline that would recoup a lot of that value traded for him to begin with.

Bouchard would probably be emerging.

A desperate playoff team would pay big bucks for a 1D rental.
He might not.

Marleau contract is up at the same time Pietrangelo is a free agent. The leafs will do everything to sign him. He's also from around that area

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
He might not.

Marleau contract is up at the same time Pietrangelo is a free agent. The leafs will do everything to sign him. He's also from around that area

It doesn't matter if he doesn't. Move him at a TDL to a desperate playoff team that will be top dollar for a 1D rental. He'd fetch enough to make up most of the lost value from the initial trade if he wouldn't resign.

The lost value is more than worth 2 years of a legit 1D on the Roster.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It doesn't matter if he doesn't. Move him at a TDL to a desperate playoff team that will be top dollar for a 1D rental. He'd fetch enough to make up most of the lost value from the initial trade if he wouldn't resign.
1st+Nurse+Yamamoto for one year of Pietrangelo is bad asset management. No way we can recoup that value back for a rental in Pietrangleo

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Edmonton is 1st in the west come trade deadline, St. Louis offers Pietrangelo for a 1st, Bear, Yams and Sekera. Do you take it?
Definitely not. We don't have the horses to be certain we'll go on a deep run. This division is notoriously weak this season and us being in 1st essentially makes us a paper tiger. Let the futures develop here and build for longevity.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Could we go deep in the playoffs? Yeah. Anything can happen. But this is not the year I would give up futures for Pietrangelo.

Reactions: McDrai

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Only half joking: can Rieder play defense?

Get him started on lessons in skating backwards.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I would make that Pietrangelo trade right now and I know hes on the IR.

You guys not realize how good he is?
He’d cost too much. We don’t have the trade chips. Plus close to UFA. We have a better chance signing him.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would make that Pietrangelo trade right now and I know hes on the IR.

You guys not realize how good he is?
Do you not realize he's a UFA poised to make over $10m aav at the age of 30? The guy is a rental.

Our team is currently riddled with depth issues and Pietrangelo is the definition of a luxury addition.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
1st+Nurse+Yamamoto for one year of Pietrangelo is bad asset management. No way we can recoup that value back for a rental in Pietrangleo

First of all he's got another year after this one. A rental Pieterangelo if he didn't choose to stay around would likely net, at bare minimum, a 1st round pick back at the TDL and that's botching the trade.

Poor asset management has been doing the same thing and hoping a 1D falls on our laps. At least you get to the negotiation table by at least having him here.

Last edited:
Reactions: oXo Cube

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's signed for next season.
Another season where we are going to be riddled with the same depth issues. Still a rental. He's a player we know we won't--and shouldn't--re-sign.

You really need to step back and look at this roster and ask if one player absolves it of all of its depth issues. You can add any player in the NHL to this roster free of charge and cap impact and I'd still put heavy doubt they'd be a favorite to win a championship. That's a sign it's not time to make this kind of move.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Another season where we are going to be riddled with the same depth issues. Still a rental. He's a player we know we won't--and shouldn't--re-sign.

You really need to step back and look at this roster and ask if one player absolves it of all of its depth issues. You can add any player in the NHL to this roster free of charge and cap impact and I'd still put heavy doubt they'd be a favorite to win a championship. That's a sign it's not time to make this kind of move.

One player absolves all of the D Depth issues if that one player is a top 10 D in the NHL. Of course you try to extend him(blows my mind this is even a question) and then if you can't you recoup a bunch of the assets you spent to acquire him when you trade him to a contender.

We've been trying to fill this hole for 12 years. That's a sign it's absolutely time to make this kind of move because it's available never so if it is you pounce on it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton is 1st in the west come trade deadline, St. Louis offers Pietrangelo for a 1st, Bear, Yams and Sekera. Do you take it?

If the pick is protected and he's willing to sign an extension ... yes I would do that. It likely means in the long run you let Adam Larsson go though as Pietrangelo and Bouchard would be your 1 and 2 RD.

That said I don't think St. Louis accepts that package.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the pick is protected and he's willing to sign an extension ... yes I would do that. It likely means in the long run you let Adam Larsson go though as Pietrangelo and Bouchard would be your 1 and 2 RD.

That said I don't think St. Louis accepts that package.
Pietrangelo will start to decline in 4 years. I'd still re-sign Larsson. He's not getting much of a raise anyway.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One player absolves all of the D Depth issues if that one player is a top 10 D in the NHL. Of course you try to extend him(blows my mind this is even a question) and then if you can't you recoup a bunch of the assets you spent to acquire him when you trade him to a contender.

We've been trying to fill this hole for 12 years. That's a sign it's absolutely time to make this kind of move because it's available never so if it is you pounce on it.

I'm a huge fan of his BUT it's not the right time to add Pietrangelo and you run the very real risk of losing him for nothing in 2 years or signing a 30 year old to a giant long term contract, basically rewarding him for what he used to be not what he will be.
This is the same issue I had with a potential Karlsson add, great for the short term but a really bad idea for the long term.

We need to keep in mind that this core is very young still, early to mid 20s, with a contending window that is just starting to open and they have prospects on the cusp of being contributors with the big club. I don't think it's a good idea to blow assets for a short term fix no matter how good the player is. I'd rather make a run for Parayko who is signed for 3 more years, is from the area, fits in better agewise and would likely be a bit cheaper to acquire.

Reactions: belair

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm a huge fan of his BUT it's not the right time to add Pietrangelo and you run the very real risk of losing him for nothing in 2 years or signing a 30 year old to a giant long term contract, basically rewarding him for what he used to be not what he will be.
This is the same issue I had with a potential Karlsson add, great for the short term but a really bad idea for the long term.

We need to keep in mind that this core is very young still, early to mid 20s, with a contending window that is just starting to open. I don't think it's a good idea to blow assets for a short term fix no matter how good the player is. I'd rather make a run for Parayko who is signed for 3 more years, is from the area, fits in better agewise and would likely be a bit cheaper to acquire.

the main issue is that you probably have to move two high end forward specs and then you're locked in by both cap and forward depth and you don't really have room to change the roster.

If you want to go for a number one dman than I'd do it but you have to think your forwards and prospect depth will be good enough.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

We need to keep in mind that this core is very young still, early to mid 20s, with a contending window that is just starting to open and they have prospects on the cusp of being contributors with the big club. I don't think it's a good idea to blow assets for a short term fix no matter how good the player is. I'd rather make a run for Parayko who is signed for 3 more years, is from the area, fits in better agewise and would likely be a bit cheaper to acquire.

Parayko would probably be more expensive as moving him makes zero sense for the Blues. If they're blowing it up they can keep him to lead the next generation in St. Louis.

And you only lose Pietrangelo for nothing if you refuse to deal him when he won't sign. In general though I think this discussion is a moot point because I think the ask would be closer to Nurse + Puljujarvi than Bear + Yamamoto.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Why would they part with Parayko if they desire to rebuild? He's a young enough age and a solid enough contract to stick around. He'd likely be more expensive because of that.

You don't lose Pieterangelo for nothing if you trade him. You'd likely know he's not going to sign before the season is over. At 6.5 mill he'd fetch a nice price at the TDL for a team making a run.

Reactions: oXo Cube

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Parayko would probably be more expensive as moving him makes zero sense for the Blues. If they're blowing it up they can keep him to lead the next generation in St. Louis.

And you only lose Pietrangelo for nothing if you refuse to deal him when he won't sign. In general though I think this discussion is a moot point because I think the ask would be closer to Nurse + Puljujarvi than Bear + Yamamoto.

It's still a lose lose. Deal him for spare parts as a rental, lose him for nothing, or sign a 30 year old to a massive contract.
I know they aren't likely to deal Parayko. I'm just saying who I'd rather the Oilers target if he was made available.

Honestly, I'd rather the Oilers stay the course and develop internally rather than make a 2 year run and have major issues thereafter.
Trading for Pietrangelo would be a KLowe type of move. Too bold
I think the drafting of Bouchard afforded them some patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad