Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Have a Lot of Bottom 6 Forwards Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Is the you Chia

So the same team minus Talbot. So the 4 million Talbot earns plus the 3.5 million the cap is to increase is spent on the same crap . Not 1 up grade .

We don’t need Kassian and Lucic , 1 is enough . Lucic will cost to move so play Lucic where in can help the team regardless of his contract . Trade Kassian for a pick . Cap space is the value you gain . Koskinen I said 3.5 is what he should be extended for as long as he proves over the next while he not a flash in the pan , same with Chaisson . Some players play well in contract years .

With 15.2 million if Chia makes a couple moves and a few resigning we should have 10 million to upgrade the wings . The last thing we should want is the same team . We can all hope this is not left in Chia hands . Hope he is fired and we get a real GM capable of negotiating contracts and making trades .

Sorry if I hurt your feeling Chia .

You just earned an ignore. Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. :dunce: :facepalm:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
100% agree . Jones will be very good for us . I would even bet Bouchard and Jones will be our top pairing in 3 years

You guys are still way to optimistic after living through the decade of darkness.

Reactions: A91

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Sorry, but saying that the Oilers are in good shape cap wise is just not realistic nor is thinking that they can just trade Lucic or Sekera without taking salary back in return. Same with Spooner, you're likely getting another Strome contract in return for him just like the Rangers did.
You trade Benning but you still have to replace him with a player so there's very little cap space created by dealing him.

Chia could find a player for cheap that can contribute, hopefully Zykov, but that's the problem right there. It has to be a cheap player because they don't have wiggle room to bring in a significant player.

I never said it WAS REALISTIC! Like I said to McSuper-what's-his-face, obviously you both are not reading what I said. Good chance means "It might happen, but it might NOT" but that doesn't deter from Chia making a change if needed albeit contract for contract.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Mike Green and one of Toffoli/Dzingel would really help this team in a long way. And would not cost much to acquire as well.

Sorry to be the voice of reason . Maybe those players are cheap to acquire but we have to move cap to make it work . We have pieces that have no value and then we have pieces that we aren’t moving . This off season is the time to go for it . Cap increase , a few contracts expiring, a couple of NMC becoming limited NTC . Really hope Chia is gone . Get a competent GM .

Spitballing

Hitchcock retired from coaching and the Oilers got him to come back . He seems to have an eye for putting players together that works . He might make a good GM . Less travel for him . He it is a hard ass so he won’t hand out contracts like Chia . He also would have spent time with the team so he would know where to upgrade .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I never said it WAS REALISTIC! Like I said to McSuper-what's-his-face, obviously you both are not reading what I said. Good chance means "It might happen, but it might NOT" but that doesn't deter from Chia making a change if needed albeit contract for contract.

I am being as realistic as possible with this. So yes, we are in good shape cap-wise.

I'm reading exactly what you said and "good chance" means that it's likely to happen not might or might not.

The reality is that the Oilers aren't in a good cap situation and likely won't be for a few years. I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers here, I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

This is why the Oilers have to resort to signing guys like Chiasson and Reider to play top 6 roles and are unable to upgrade the defense, because of the tight cap situation. Realistically, I don't see this changing anytime soon. There is no easy way out of this mess.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It takes 250 NHL games to develop an NHL dman. So no all 3 of them wont be ready, or even close to ready.

Yeah, bear and Jones may get a cup this year, but I think Bouchard should be AHL bound next year unless he's head and shoulders the best of the bunch next year in TC.

I don't know how they're going to do it, but if this team has room for more than a single rookie on D next year, we'll be in trouble.

This teams D is so inconsistent from season to season that expecting a rookie to come in and learn anything from them at all is risky.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How about Talbot+Benning for Neuvirth, Sanheim, and Ratcliffe from Philly? Doesnt help us now but Talbot's a UFA at the end of season anyways, and Sanheim has some potential on the left side.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This...isn't true.

You can play in the league before that, but very few dmen are consistent before that point. So you dont really know what you have until they get to that 3-4 year range in the league. That's not to mention the extra penalties that rookies get called for in general.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I think we can all agree we need a new GM to make the changes we need . I would not trust Chia to run a pee wee team . I liked when Chia was bought in . Thought we finally got a good GM . Boy I was wrong . He can not negotiate a contract , he can’t make a trade , oh yeah he lucked out on a few noting trades .
At least if Tamblowe was still GM our top 6 would be

RNH McDavid Eberle
Hall Draisaitl XXX

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You just earned an ignore. Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. :dunce: :facepalm:

Good chance is a bad ideal . There a little light opening up in that dark tunnel . Chia better take advantage of it . Better to hope he is fired . I think there a good chance he is but the Hitchcock hiring may save him . We can only hope he wasn’t Chia choice and someone made the choice for him .

Rockinghockey1

Sep 30, 2017
Looking at our cap next year, we are in a pretty good spot. As much as people want to crap on Chia for the spending to the cap, we actually have room to do some things next summer.

UFAs
Chaisson
Wideman
Gravel
Garrison
Talbot
Koskinen

RFAs
Reider
Puljujarvi
Rattie
Khaira

Of these guys listed above and our cap space (11.7M + 3.5M Projected Cap Raise) comes to 15.2M in cap, this is what I think we do next summer:

UFAs
Chaisson - Sign for 2.5M for 2 years
Wideman - Let him walk
Gravel - Sign for 1.5M for 2 years
Garrison - Let him walk
Talbot - Trade at Deadline if not in playoff spot by then. Otherwise let him walk
Koskinen - Sign for 3.5M for 3 years if he keeps producing

RFAs
Reider - Sign for 3M for 3 years
Puljujarvi - RFA protect him and sign for 1 more year at his wage.
Rattie - Sign 900k for 1 year
Khaira - Sign 900k for 1 year

15.2M - 13.225M = 1.975M in cap space.

Good chance we see 1 or 2 players traded out (Benning or Spooner) for some cap space. Our lineup for next year:

Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl
Chaisson-Nuge-Yamamoto
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Khaira-Marody-Puljujarvi/Rattie/Benson

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Sekera
Nurse-Gravel/Bouchard
Gravel/Bouchard

Koskinen
Cheap UFA backup
You are over paying Everyone not paying Chiasson 2.5 mil for his first good year what has Reider done for 3 mil a year and Gravel 1 mil or let him walk

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
How about Talbot+Benning for Neuvirth, Sanheim, and Ratcliffe from Philly? Doesnt help us now but Talbot's a UFA at the end of season anyways, and Sanheim has some potential on the left side.
Flyers fans value Morin more than that.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Our D next season will be the way it is now but with Bouchard competing with Benning and others for one spot. Chia coming back with basically the same bottom 10 team tells me his plan is to draft, develop and wait instead of making trades/big signings.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Sekera - Bouch/Beno
Gravel

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
You can play in the league before that, but very few dmen are consistent before that point. So you dont really know what you have until they get to that 3-4 year range in the league. That's not to mention the extra penalties that rookies get called for in general.
Statistically, if a dman isn't doing reasonably well in the NHL by the age of 21, he's not going to become an impact player. There's absolutely 0 statistical proof that confirms the 250 games hypothesis.
Is Sam Morin taking too long? An analysis of NHL prospect...
Dellow: When do defencemen make it?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Our D next season will be the way it is now but with Bouchard competing with Benning and others for one spot. Chia coming back with basically the same bottom 10 team tells me his plan is to draft, develop and wait instead of making trades/big signings.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Sekera - Bouch/Beno
Gravel
Trade Spooner and Benning and waive Garrison. Free up 6M+ in cap space and 3M+ increase in salary cap. That's 9M+ to work with

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Trade Spooner and Benning and waive Garrison. Free up 6M+ in cap space and 3M+ increase in salary cap. That's 9M+ to work with

Talbot likely small raise/Koskinen raise
Rieder/Chiasson both likely get raises (Or other UFAs to replace them)
Pulju small raise/Khaira raise

Probably missing some. I dont think we are going to have much if any cap space tbh.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yeahhh, Wideman, Garrison and Spooner are all on the outside looking in it seems. Dumping the three of them wouldn’t cause me any fits. I wonder if Spooner for Heed or Rutta might work.
On a side note, of course Strome is doing well in New York. Just of course. Goddamn it.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Please elaborate

It takes 250 games to know what you have, not necessarily to develop them.

It's more about not writing defenseman off than suggesting it WILL take 3+ full seasons to get them where they should be. Sometimes Drew Doughty walks into the league as a #1, sometimes Victor Hedman takes 250 games. Nature of the beast.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Please elaborate

I mean, there's many schools of thought about this: some say 200 games, others 300. I personally think that development is more complex than an arbitrary number of G. The circumstances and opportunity matters more.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It takes 250 games to know what you have, not necessarily to develop them.

It's more about not writing defenseman off than suggesting it WILL take 3+ full seasons to get them where they should be. Sometimes Drew Doughty walks into the league as a #1, sometimes Victor Hedman takes 250 games. Nature of the beast.

Yeah this is more like it.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad