Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What sucked about camp is one of our most effective lines was Pouliot - Draisaitl - Perron but that never really saw the light of day even though they looked great in camp. Eakins had no idea what to do.

It's more important to determine the 14th forward and the 7th defenseman.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It would be nice to see us pick up one more piece of the puzzle before the season started, but I figure the chances are that we're set now.

#1 - 2nd buyout window is over, right? Only way we're picking up another d-man is if we get rid of Ference or Nikitin. I don't think Ference wants to waive his NMC and I'm convinced that nobody is going to take Nikitin until he returns to form. If we keep both of these guys, I honestly don't see how either of Nurse or Reinhart start the year in the NHL. That's not a bad thing, either.

#2 - Salary arbitration. This could lead to teams making moves, but we don't have a lot of cap space. If the Rangers are asked to fork out 7M for their 1st line center teams with some cap space might be able to help them out, but I highly doubt we'd be able to get a player we really want from them because they want to stay compeditive.

#3 - We've got so many forwards who are fighting for roster spots.
- Pitlick is going to be on a make or break year. He has to stay healthy. If he can do this, he's solid. We probably let him walk.
- Gazdic is on a contract year and I don't see us retaining him. He isn't a good enough hockey player to be given a roster spot at this point. He might not clear waivers. He's a great pick-up for a team that wants to tank next year. He's cheap and one of the best fighters out there.
- Klinkhammer looks like he's good enough to be a 4th liner on a lot of teams but with his limited offensive upside there are surely more attractive options on the farm team.
- Draisaitl should surely be sent down to the AHL if we want him to play center, but I heard so much about him being moved to the wing. You'd think he'd be able to secure the 2nd or 3rd line left wing position, right?
- Slepyshev said that he isn't opposed to playing in the AHL. If he lights things up it'll surely bring up a lot of discussions involving the future of our top six.
- Pakarinen was looking like a diamond in the right last season. I figure he, Pitlick and Klink will be fighting for that 4th line RW spot.
- Yakimov has so many guys to beat out for a roster spot. If he can turn on the offence he could really get it done. At the same time his potential has me worried that he could get traded. I'm pretty sure Mcdavid, Hopkins, Lander, Letestnu and Draisaitl are all ahead of him on the depth chart, but he's got a lot of good things to contribute to our bottom six as well.
- Khaira is someone I feel goes fairly unappreciated among Oil fans. He's mean and responsible. Expect to see him play a few games in the NHL this year if we get bogged down with injuries.

Most of these guys I just listed aren't going to win us a ton of games, but PC isn't in a hurry to get us a cup this year. he's supposedly trying to raise us up in moderation. If he's going to follow this plan he can't afford to pick up too many established NHLers. He needs to give the kids in the minors a chance to show him what they've got so that he can better ***** what kind of moves he needs to make next off-season.

If we go out and pick up GlenX, Fehr and another d-man and move out as few players as possible none of these youngsters will get to prove themselves and our management and coaching staff won't have nearly as good of an idea of what they've got.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
that is when the mood leads him in that direction. If Curtis Glencross was born in Moscow instead of Alberta, our opinions of him would be a lot different
Considering I wanted Kosititsyn I don't really care where the guy is from. I also don't have much against giving Nikitin a shot at redeeming himself in camp.

Simple fact is there are a lot of UFA's left. Some are left because they are no good. Some are left because they asked for too much and now are wondering what happened. Some are left because they had bad parts of a season and teams rather give youth the shot. In these groups however there is going to be some quality players left.

Every year there are a bunch of guys that get signed late that go on to having impacts on the teams that signed them. Heck I'd even throw a bit a money at Semin and he's the definition of inconsistent Russian. The sad thing is Semin could end up being the best offensive UFA signing by a longshot. Actually I think he might've been last time when he signed in CAR late, even with parise signing that year.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Is there anyone like Boychuk or Leddy that we can steal on D in September or just wishful thinking?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Is there anyone like Boychuk or Leddy that we can steal on D in September or just wishful thinking?

Gunnarsson might fall into that group, If STL is planning a different look on their blueline.

Olrov in WAS, if they were were looking for something different on their blueline.

Those are the two I can quickly find as possibilities. I throw UFA Ryan Wilson in that group too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gunnarsson might fall into that group, If STL is planning a different look on their blueline.

Olrov in WAS, if they were were looking for something different on their blueline.

Those are the two I can quickly find as possibilities. I throw UFA Ryan Wilson in that group too.

Byfuglien is one I could see. WPG isn't going for the cup this year, if they think Byfuglien is asking too much I could see them moving him.

As for the Leddy comparison, that one is a bit different as he was a going to be a RFA not a UFA. So realistically it was more of a team with cap issues looking at making some space in the short term and long term. That list of players could be quite endless. Unfortunately Boston doesn't seem like an option for us, as I see something shaking out of that team.

WSH is an interesting one as you point out. I don't see anything happening quite yet, but if Orlov starts to improve do they keep the cheaper contract and move out a larger contract? Although I have to think WSH is going all in this year and tries to keep as much talent as possible. Looks like they might have to make a move with Holtby still unsigned though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Byfuglien is one I could see. WPG isn't going for the cup this year, if they think Byfuglien is asking too much I could see them moving him.

As for the Leddy comparison, that one is a bit different as he was a going to be a RFA not a UFA. So realistically it was more of a team with cap issues looking at making some space in the short term and long term. That list of players could be quite endless. Unfortunately Boston doesn't seem like an option for us, as I see something shaking out of that team.

WSH is an interesting one as you point out. I don't see anything happening quite yet, but if Orlov starts to improve do they keep the cheaper contract and move out a larger contract? Although I have to think WSH is going all in this year and tries to keep as much talent as possible. Looks like they might have to make a move with Holtby still unsigned though.
I just wonder, if Washington is looking for a veteran to help win now a little more, maybe you could squeeze Orlov out of there.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Agreed. People keep forgetting that Korpikoski played most of the season with a high ankle sprain and those take forever to heal.

The problem is that a high ankle sprain can have a permanent effect on a player's quality of play, especially someone who relies on speed as much as Korpikoski. I'm willing to give him a chance given his success 2 seasons ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in Europe by the start of the 2017-18 season either.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Wow. Leafs name Lou Lamoriello GM.

Big name but unless he's bringing Conte and that scouting staff with him, this is not a great hire.

The thing is that the Lamoriello/Conte combo has been terrible for years.

The game has simply passed them by and the only reason people still think they are good is because of past reputations.

Devils are in the basement for a reason, bad drafting, bad management.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The thing is that the Lamoriello/Conte combo has been terrible for years.

The game has simply passed them by and the only reason people still think they are good is because of past reputations.

Devils are in the basement for a reason, bad drafting, bad management.

I don't blame Conte for that. Still think he's one of the premier talent evaluators in the game. Gregor usually has him on his radio show the week of the draft and the guy is just a wealth of knowledge.

Lamou has driven that franchise into the ground and moved lots of draft picks.

Curious to see if Conte follows him to Toronto.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Time to make a bit deal with the Leafs?

To TOR: Fayne, Nikitin ($2M Retention), Purcell ($1.5 Retention), Moroz and a 2016 2nd

To EDM: Phaneuf ($2M Retension), Polak and Spaling

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I don't blame Conte for that. Still think he's one of the premier talent evaluators in the game. Gregor usually has him on his radio show the week of the draft and the guy is just a wealth of knowledge.

Lamou has driven that franchise into the ground and moved lots of draft picks.

Curious to see if Conte follows him to Toronto.

They had a bad stretch of 1st rounders from roughly 2005-2011. However, picking in the bottom half of the first round is quite different than the top half. We can't really judge after that since most of the picks were traded as you mentioned.

If anything, i think Lou is done as being a good gm there are just too many gaffes to mention. Signing Clowe to big contract with a no movement clause. Couldn't keep any of the top players with the exception of Elias. Trading too many draft picks and the list goes on.

Perhaps to be fair to Conte he could be labelled as overrated. He's had his share of misses over the years but he's also had a couple of good finds as well. Severson & Henrique comes to mind. I don't think NJ is on par with the good drafting teams like Ottawa, Anaheim, Detroit, ect. probably more of a average to slightly above average when compared to the rest of the league.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That Lou hire is the oddest thing I've seen in awhile. A rebuilding team priding itself on taking a fresh approach to the game, on the cutting edge of analytics, hires a 72 year old GM?

I wonder if they'll owe a pick. I doubt it since he already stepped down.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

To TOR: Fayne, Nikitin ($2M Retention), Purcell ($1.5 Retention), Moroz and a 2016 2nd

Not sure why you think this hiring makes TO more receptive to making a deal, Lou doesn't have a history of making big trades. He doesn't make many overtly bad deals either.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
For the past few years it's seemed like the Devils have been diminishing Lamoriello's role with the team. It started with the Kovalchuck contract. This to me seems to be proof. The big thing Lamoriello brings regardless of GM competence is influence, he's got a lot of pull with other GM's and the league. As for Conte, he won't be going to Toronto, they brought in Hunter to run their draft for a reason. I think it's likely Dubas retains a strong role in player evaluation via analytics and Lamoriello's likely going to be the point man on dealing with the league and other teams. Toronto has suddenly got a very strong front office with Babcock-Lou-Dubas-Hunter all looking like strong hires for their roles, Shanahan has done a very good job.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015

No to Dion. Not now, not ever. Even with retention.

Just my opinion.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
John Shannon tweeted out that the Leafs will in fact have to pay up a pick for Lou. 3rd rounder for a 72 year old GM.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I was looking at all of the teams' cap situation with a buddy today and it has us thinking that a lot of team are going to chose to not protect some decent players with big salaries when the expansion draft comes.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad