Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Calgary shipped him out amidst a playoff push for a reason

Because they got a 2nd and 3rd round pick for him. I think Calgary was pretty realistic with what their chances were this spring, and moving a piece that wasn't a key piece to their team or part of their future for a solid return is a smart move when you know you're not a contending team.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Has anyone heard anything on Stoll or Richards? Both are UFA's last I heard. Just curious if any teams were looking at them.

Nothing is going to happen with Richards until the situation in LA sorts itself out. He's currently a FA, however it's also quite possible that one of the resolutions if what LA is attempting to do is denied/rejected, is that his contract is reinstated.

Realistically he's a camp tryout somewhere.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Because they got a 2nd and 3rd round pick for him. I think Calgary was pretty realistic with what their chances were this spring, and moving a piece that wasn't a key piece to their team or part of their future for a solid return is a smart move when you know you're not a contending team.

Great trade no doubt but they didn't miss him at all and he did nothing for Washington

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What's so special about Glencross. Rather have Purcell over Glencross since Purcell is younger.

I'd take Glencross every day of the week over Purcell. Age has nothing to do it with. One of those guys helps out a lot when not scoring. The other, while not bad defensively doesn't do a lot when not scoring.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
You all realize that Korpikoski sucks right? He was a dud on the Coyotes and honestly Klinkhammer is a MUCH better player than him.

I think it's likely Korpikoski will be pressbox fodder soon into the season and probably waiver fodder soon after.

Korpikoski is a better player than Klinkhammer, similar styles of play actually.

He was a major dud this year because his game is speed and having a high ankle sprain that healed slowly took it all away.

It's like how people were hard on Eberle in the first half of the year playing with a broken hand/finger.

What I will say, however, is although we're going to try him on the 3rd line, no one should be surprised if he's only a 4th line calibre player.

Dangles13

Jul 2, 2015
You all realize that Korpikoski sucks right? He was a dud on the Coyotes and honestly Klinkhammer is a MUCH better player than him.

I think it's likely Korpikoski will be pressbox fodder soon into the season and probably waiver fodder soon after.

Korpikoski scores anywhere from 20 to 40 points every season, Klinkhammer has 42 points in his career and was a healthy scratch several times and cleared waivers as well.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm okay with a Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov 3rd line IF Korpikoski plays on line 4, but I think we should invite Derek Roy on a tryout to battle Draisaitl for a spot.

IF Draisaitl makes it, go with the line above.

IF Roy makes it, go with a Lander-Roy-Yakupov 3rd line and send Leon to the AHL.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I'd take Glencross every day of the week over Purcell. Age has nothing to do it with. One of those guys helps out a lot when not scoring. The other, while not bad defensively doesn't do a lot when not scoring.
Glencross couldn't get out of Edmonton fast enough last time and I have no use for a player that wanted out of Edmonton.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

He was bad on a terrible Coyotes team.. I think he will surprise you

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Glencross couldn't get out of Edmonton fast enough last time and I have no use for a player that wanted out of Edmonton.

He didn't want out of edmonton.. lowe and tambo just never offered him a contract.. he said repeatedly he wanted to stay

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

He was playing through a high ankle sprain and those injuries take a long time to recover from. Remember Eberle struggle with a finger/hand injury. Injuries do slow players down, believe it or not.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm concerned that while he was in junior, it was too easy for Draisaitl to simply shrug players away with his size, and as such will struggle to adapt in the NHL once he realizes the best players in the world aren't so easily pushed back. I'm concerned that some people are going to look at Draisaitl's size and expect he to develop a mean streak, like the one Getzlaf plays with, but he never will because that's not the way he is.

I'm concerned we've got this big kid on our hands who is going to turn out to be:
- highly skilled; and
- soft as hell.

He's not soft. Watch him. He was not soft last year either though he does need to improve his awareness around the boards at the NHL level. Cuppy talked about him being off balance and weak. I think a good part of that was that he sometimes got caught unaware that contact was about to happen. I'd love to see him work on his core but I have little doubt he will be able to use his size effectively at the next level.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver

Daryl Sutter was also courting Glencross' dad prior to free agency. Always were golfing together.

I would have left too if I was Glencross. Take the money while the Oilers were di**ing around chasing rainbows.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I seem to remember GlenX being told to wait while Lowe chased after Hossa. He waited a week until he signed with Calgary on what was then a fairly rich contract.

It was a good example of the oilers misjudging talent, holding onto the devaluing Moreau and Torres while letting Glencross twist in the wind. Same thing happened next year with Brodziak as Pouliot and Brule "made" him expendable.

Off topic and revisionist history I know, but seriously if you had kept that team together (and actually had it well coached, instead of letting the internal politics fester on the team), I still believe it could have made the playoffs.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nilsson-Gagner-Cole
Glencross-Brodziak-Cogliano
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani

Souray-Visnovsky
Gerbeshkov-Gilbert
Smid-Staios

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If he wanted to stay, why was Glencross asking for $2M per season and wearing a Flames jersey prior to July 1.

He signed in Calgary for 3x 1.2m on July 2nd.

Wiki said:
Though he played well with Edmonton,[12] the Oilers did not make a contract offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.[13] Glencross hoped to remain in Edmonton as it was close to his Red Deer home. But after the Oilers made little effort to negotiate with him, he chose to sign a three-year, $3.6 million deal with Edmonton's provincial rival, the Calgary Flames.[14]

According to Lowetide.ca, the offer was less than 1m per year.

Lowetide said:
Jim Matheson in today’s Journal has a slightly different take: “If (Curtis) Glencross signs for two years, the Oilers might try to trade winger Raffi Torres — who ripped up his knee last season and has two years left at a salary-cap hit of $2.25 million US a year — in order to move up in the draft. The Oilers’ offer is reportedly for less than the $1 million a year similar role player Matt Bradley just received with the Washington Capitals.”

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I seem to remember GlenX being told to wait while Lowe chased after Hossa. He waited a week until he signed with Calgary on what was then a fairly rich contract.

It was a good example of the oilers misjudging talent, holding onto the devaluing Moreau and Torres while letting Glencross twist in the wind. Same thing happened next year with Brodziak as Pouliot and Brule "made" him expendable.

Off topic and revisionist history I know, but seriously if you had kept that team together (and actually had it well coached, instead of letting the internal politics fester on the team), I still believe it could have made the playoffs.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nilsson-Gagner-Cole
Glencross-Brodziak-Cogliano
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani

Souray-Visnovsky
Gerbeshkov-Gilbert
Smid-Staios
According to reports, Glencross was asking for close to $2M from Edmonton and signed for less in Calgary.:shakehead

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Either way glencross is a shell of his former self, guy plays hard and all the injuries have taken a toll.

Former self being Glencross of Jan 2015?? 6 months ago he was on pace for 40+ pts and 150+ hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad