Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I don't like exposing Benson but this seems like the obvious play right now.
Really tough to say, he could pull a Yamo/bear next year. I'm sure the coaches already told him to get faster, they'll know for sure next season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we walk away from the expansion draft losing just Tyler Benson then I would call it a success for the organization.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I'd run the 8-1

McDavid
Drai
Yamo
Jones
Bear
Klefbom
Nurse
AA (if he can get back to his goal scoring ways )
Koski I guess (hopefully have an upgrade by that time)

Nuge and Larsson could be resigned after the draft.

Only notable players exposed would be Benson, I think.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Not worth protecting a goalie imo. Koski wouldn't be that hard to replace, and basically zero chance they would take him anyways.

Larsson will be Ufa after as well, if we want him back we could just give him a handshake deal and officially sign him after July 1st.

They have to protect a goalie.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You forgot Bear. Plus I'd like to get RNH, Yamamoto, and Larsson locked up before next season. So keep some room for those raises in 2 years. And with Benson hopefully being a full-time NHLer next year, I don't think we really need an upgrade anyways.

yeah I did forget Bear. Either way, the numbers I used are pretty close IMO of what Holland could get done.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Russell is the guy who has been proven to have been hugely expendable. Cant pass, cant read the play. Always blocks shots because hes out of position.
I'm ok with moving Russell, but if he's always in position to block a shot a.k.a. in the shooting lane, how is he out of position?

Reactions: Samus44

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If we walk away from the expansion draft losing just Tyler Benson then I would call it a success for the organization.

What if Tyler Benson puts up 10 goals and 30 assists as a rookie? I don't think any team should be all right with losing a young quality forward with his hockey sense. I think the uncertainty of his upside and a sweetener from the Oilers might be enough to convince Seattle to take someone else.

Assuming he's healthy and based on what I saw he's going to be an NHLer and IMO at least a 3rd liner, the question for me is can the skating and goal scoring improve enough to be a perennial top 6 LW. His hands and brain are top drawer. I think if he can get faster and focus on getting to the net more as a threat for deflections and rebounds he can be more than a middle 6 forward. We saw Bear add a step at the same age, hopefully Benson can too.

The Oilers need to retain young cheap players, I won't be happy to lose him if he continues to trend in a positive direction. His AHL production has been no joke. I see his skill set meshing with McDavid well in the future.

Reactions: oilynutz

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Moving Athanasiou to 3C creates an interesting look. If Ennis walks he probably takes that LW spot next to 97. In a perfect world we can trade Neal with some retention and bring back Slepyshev. Benson Athanasiou Slepyshev could add offense with some sheltered minutes. Two of Russell/Larsson/Benning should be dealt to open up space too. Preferably Russell after his bonus is paid in July, and Benning if they bring back Green on a cheap deal as the 6/7. Some budget team will bite on Russell with only a 1.5M price tag.

Ennis McDavid Kassian
RNH Drai Yamo
Benson Athanasiou Neal
Nygaard Sheahan Archibald

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Jones Bouchard
Green or Benning
I can not imagine a world where Tippett would feel comfortable having a player with such low hockey IQ playing center for him. Athanasiou hasn't fully grasped the intricacies of playing wing, now isn't the time to put more on his plate, what we need out of him is more consistency in playing his one man fast break style and a better grasp on when and where he can cheat to get those opportunities consistently while not costing the team.

Reactions: Anarchism

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who cares about the expansion, so much can change between now and then.

Holland seems to be a pretty smart thinker, I'm sure he'll do something to make sure it doesn't hurt us too much.

Reactions: Joey Moss

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I can not imagine a world where Tippett would feel comfortable having a player with such low hockey IQ playing center for him. Athanasiou hasn't fully grasped the intricacies of playing wing, now isn't the time to put more on his plate, what we need out of him is more consistency in playing his one man fast break style and a better grasp on when and where he can cheat to get those opportunities consistently while not costing the team.
Next year possibly, but certainly not now. Even as a winger on the 3rd line it could help with secondary scoring, and being able to shed some salary off the backend allows another wing upgrade for McDavid’s line too. Holland will have set himself up very nicely for the offseason if he can get Sheahan and Archibald signed. When’s the last time we’ve gone into July with only one or two holes to fill?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Benson is going to be a full time NHLer. If he lights it up next year. That's not really a success. Look at Anaheim, they gutted their defense and let go off Theodore and now their defense is pretty dry.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Benson is going to be a full time NHLer. If he lights it up next year. That's not really a success. Look at Anaheim, they gutted their defense and let go off Theodore and now their defense is pretty dry.
Sure if he playing in top 9 we can keep him. We would be a contender if all of Benson, Kassian, AA and Yamamoto are producing next year. Even if we miss out on retaining Benson we could just find another Ennis.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I like the roster pretty much as is. Would like to keep everyone with the exception of Chiasson, Russell and Kharia. Open a spot for Benson and let a few of the condors battle for a spot. Least see if we can survive having Neal for 1 more year.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I like the roster pretty much as is. Would like to keep everyone with the exception of Chiasson, Russell and Kharia. Open a spot for Benson and let a few of the condors battle for a spot. Least see if we can survive having Neal for 1 more year.

Agreed. Hopefully Russell & Chiasson gone with no cap coming back. I hope Holland tries shopping Neal this off-season, but only if we can offload his cap hit. Not looking to take a bad contract back.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Anyone know what kind of cap recapture penalty we'd be stuck with if Lucic retires early? I'm thinking there's an 80% chance he retires before his contract expires.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Anyone know what kind of cap recapture penalty we'd be stuck with if Lucic retires early? I'm thinking there's an 80% chance he retires before his contract expires.

Not sure on recapture penalty, as I don't think that it would affect Edmonton in anyway, because we didn't circumvent the cap when signing him. Though it would hurt the Flames more if they were to buy him out.

53c8296ced20683c437cf3c20a23fcaf.png

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Not sure on recapture penalty, as I don't think that it would affect Edmonton in anyway, because we didn't circumvent the cap when signing him. Though it would hurt the Flames more if they were to buy him out.

53c8296ced20683c437cf3c20a23fcaf.png

My understanding is that the team that signs him to the contract is on the hook, as well as any team that holds the contract when he retires.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If Lucic retires that Oilers cap obligations disappear. There is no recapture penalties on his contract.

If the Flames buy him out then the Oilers cap cost drops accordingly.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Who cares about the expansion, so much can change between now and then.

Holland seems to be a pretty smart thinker, I'm sure he'll do something to make sure it doesn't hurt us too much.

I think what we learned from the Vegas expansion is to not make a bunch of bad trades to protect one guy. I think we just stay the course and deal with the expansion draft as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad