Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The thing I like most about the Slepy move is it means Hall is unlikely.

AA, Slepy, Archibald, Chaisson, Kharia, Neal, Kassian, Nygard, and maybe even Puljujarvi + Ennis all able to play in the top 6 with McDavid.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry Hallsy, we don't need ya. We've good Jujhar Khaira to play in our top 6 instead.

This quarantine really has some of you going shack wacky huh?

If you go through my post history, I have been higher on Slepy than probably anyone else here has been, when he was on our roster. Mclellan IMO misused him horrifically. He has every tool to be a great player in the NHL.

Reactions: Yeah15

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry Hallsy, we don't need ya. We've good Jujhar Khaira to play in our top 6 instead.

If you go through my post history, I have been higher on Slepy than probably anyone else here has been, when he was on our roster. Mclellan IMO misused him horrifically. He has every tool to be a great player in the NHL.
Salary cap is likely going to drop, so yeah. We can't afford Hall

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not that I think hall is coming back, but there’s no way slepy would factor into bringing in a top 6 player.

He’ll be just like Haas and Nygard, a cheap depth option who we hope can out perform his cheap contract.
I don't know about that. The reason we would be bringing Slepyshev back is because he exploded offensively in the KHL. I'd see him at least competing with the likes of AA, Kassian, Ennis for a spot next to McDavid. And yes, the bar is low.

It was speculated that Slepyshev wouldn't be cheap btw. I think Cult of Hockey was saying that.

edit: after reading your post again I think I mostly agree with you, since you aren't saying he'd be a bottom sixer, but yeah, more of a lottery ticket. I'll also add to that Slepyshev never really got a genuine shot at a high spot while he was here except in the playoffs, and he was very good there I thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3IR and Aerchon

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't think you'll find many people that disagree with you that we don't have the cap space.

even if the cap remains the same I do not think we can afford Hall, unless we want all our 3rd and 4th liners to be fringe nhlers on min wage and then we will complain about the lack of production from them.

The one thing we need to do is spread money around the roster to get proper production from all areas

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Whilst I don't think Hall is coming here, I really don't think a fringe NHLer signing here has any influence at all in us getting a 1st line winger.

Holland loaded up on gambles last off-season too, some stuck, some didn't.

Not that I think hall is coming back, but there’s no way slepy would factor into bringing in a top 6 player.

He’ll be just like Haas and Nygard, a cheap depth option who we hope can out perform his cheap contract.

I don't know about that. The reason we would be bringing Slepyshev back is because he exploded offensively in the KHL. I'd see him at least competing with the likes of AA, Kassian, Ennis for a spot next to McDavid. And yes, the bar is low.

It was speculated that Slepyshev wouldn't be cheap btw. I think Cult of Hockey was saying that.

edit: after reading your post again I think I mostly agree with you, since you aren't saying he'd be a bottom sixer, but yeah, more of a lottery ticket. I'll also add to that Slepyshev never really got a genuine shot at a high spot while he was here except in the playoffs, and he was very good there I thought.

even if the cap remains the same I do not think we can afford Hall, unless we want all our 3rd and 4th liners to be fringe nhlers on min wage and then we will complain about the lack of production from them.

The one thing we need to do is spread money around the roster to get proper production from all areas

Probably quoted too many but...

As some mentioned it's not about quality it's about cap management.

Last year Holland bought out Sekera with the intent of going medium game hunting. He admitted he struck out and decided to use the space for Smith and a bunch of low risk low price options.

Slepy, as another mentioned, won't be as cheap as some believe and is another dart thrown at the board.

Holland appears to be just forgoing even medium game and just buying a bunch of low cost guys right off the bat. Thus why I believe Slepy indicates Hall is not likely on his agenda even remotely.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Unless there are actually compliance buyouts.

Dropping Neal and signing Hall would be a massive upgrade.

Obviously the hope is that AA won't be the massive disappointment he was in Detroit and Edmonton this year but the Oilers need some legitimate top 6 options beyond the big 3 and Yamamoto.

Hall makes a lot of sense because he loved Edmonton, still has friends on the team and consistently puts up points but obviously a big deal for a player with his injury history is concerning.

I would love to see Hall and Draisaitl reunited though since they were so good together.

Reactions: nally

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If it drops a little (think less than 10%), there will be compliance buyouts. If it drops a lot, there will be salary rollbacks and buyouts. It will resemble the summer of 2006, probably.

The weird thing is I don't see any world where the NHL is playing games in October. There's going to be a heads and tails upheaval here above and beyond even a full lost year. Contract freezes, lost developmental years, a draft of 19 year olds. Weird shit like that is going to have to happen.

Reactions: nally

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
If it drops a little (think less than 10%), there will be compliance buyouts. If it drops a lot, there will be salary rollbacks and buyouts. It will resemble the summer of 2006, probably.

The weird thing is I don't see any world where the NHL is playing games in October. There's going to be a heads and tails upheaval here above and beyond even a full lost year. Contract freezes, lost developmental years, a draft of 19 year olds. Weird shit like that is going to have to happen.

You’re right, everything is going to be turned upside down. But, what about the looming recession/depression? Do you think people will spend the money to watch a game live? Or just watch it on TV...then there’s the whole ‘crowd-phobia’ until a vaccine is developed.

I

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Slep is great. Always played hard. Just got jerked around and buried by a couple of idiots. Mclellan, Chia. If his last name was Smith things would have been different.

Reactions: Aerchon and 3IR

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Reportedly Slepyshev wanted something closer to 2m per year, while the initial Oilers offer was 1.1m (although if the reports were true later it increased to 1.4m). And yes, Slepyshev will be UFA when his new KHL deal expires.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Worth a shot, but he wasn’t about to make much of a difference by himself. I’d imagine anyone who’s gone from fringe NHLer to successful khl player would need a pretty good reason to return.

best of luck to slepyshev over seas.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Obviously the hope is that AA won't be the massive disappointment he was in Detroit and Edmonton this year but the Oilers need some legitimate top 6 options beyond the big 3 and Yamamoto.

Hall makes a lot of sense because he loved Edmonton, still has friends on the team and consistently puts up points but obviously a big deal for a player with his injury history is concerning.

I would love to see Hall and Draisaitl reunited though since they were so good together.
Where are these talks to compliance buyouts coming from? There's no new CBA in place for that.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Slepyshev wanted out of Edmonton and that is the end of that

Nope, he wasn’t guaranteed enough stability in the lineup. With the winger depth here it likely would have happened anywhere else. Slepyshev gave up on his NHL career by doing this. He’ll be 27 going on 28 when it expires and unless he blows up in the KHL, NHL teams won’t come calling.

Bottom 6 Russian players are better off playing in Russia for the most part. Pay is more or less the same and they can live in a familiar place closer to family.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Slepyshev was one of those imports who wanted everything handed to him. Every single player with that mindset needs to be pointed towards Ethan Bear and Kailer Yamamoto to show them how to find success at this level. Unwillingness to go to Bakersfield to work on your game is a ticket straight out of here.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Slepyshev was one of those imports who wanted everything handed to him. Every single player with that mindset needs to be pointed towards Ethan Bear and Kailer Yamamoto to show them how to find success at this level. Unwillingness to go to Bakersfield to work on your game is a ticket straight out of here.

When did he refuse to go to Bako?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When did he refuse to go to Bako?
In his final year when we were forced to burn his waiver exempt status. He didn't have a permanent roster spot and was a total tweener at the time.

I'm not convinced it would've been any different this time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In his final year when we were forced to burn his waiver exempt status. He didn't have a permanent roster spot and was a total tweener at the time.

I'm not convinced it would've been any different this time.

Is there a source behind it?

You sure the team just didn't want to risk losing him on waivers?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I honestly don't see how buying out Neal helps us get Taylor Hall anyway. He's going to want 10 million plus, purging Neal doesn't get us 10 million in cap space. Replacing Neal with a guy like Dadonov or Hoffman, or upgrading in goal with Lehner are far more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad