Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've said this before--when? When do you give him the opportunity? He's a playoff rental. These types of players should be plug and play. Ennis and Green are going to slide into this lineup like butter. AA is a whole other story. If he doesn't hit paydirt here immediately, why would you not consider flipping him in the off-season?

They JUST finished paying a fairly steep price (two 2nd rounders) for him, and if he doesn't work out immediately, you want to move him?:huh: That's the kind of move our former management would likely make. Besides, if he continues to struggle here in these playoffs, after the year he's had, what kind of garbage do you think we'll get back for him? Selling at a panicked low after a short term would be a huge mistake.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They JUST finished paying a fairly steep price (two 2nd rounders) for him, and if he doesn't work out immediately, you want to move him?:huh: That's the kind of move our former management would likely make. Besides, if he continues to struggle here in these playoffs, after the year he's had, what kind of garbage do you think we'll get back for him? Selling at a panicked low after a short term would be a huge mistake.

Exactly. And these people all of course want to keep RNH, but then they also now want another winger because they can't possibly split up the 2nd line?

So exactly where is this money coming from to get another winger for McDavid?

Next year we need to try

RNH McDavid Kassian
Athansiou Draisaitl Yamamoto

For a good long stretch.

If a player like MacKinnon can produce with 15 different linemates so long as there is a reasonable level of skill for them to work with, Draisaitl should not be any different.

Reactions: KYams17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Okay that’s just biased lol
How is saying worst case he will he be a usable third liner biased? I don't believe he has the game to be a top 6 player on a playoff team. Yes he had a 30 goal season but based on his play his entire career that was definitely an outlier.

A 3mill scoring 3rd liner isn't a bad thing either. People need to stop thinking all non top 6 guys are busts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Exactly. And these people all of course want to keep RNH, but then they also now want another winger because they can't possibly split up the 2nd line?

Next year we need to try

RNH McDavid Kassian

For a good long stretch.

If a player like MacKinnon can produce with 15 different linemates so long as there is a reasonable level of skill for them to work with, Draisaitl should not be any different.

Shouldn't that apply to McDavid then?
If a player like MacKinnon can produce with 15 different linemates as long as there is a reasonable level of skill for them to work with, McDavid should not be any different.

Chemistry is not always easy to find and the Oilers have been shuffling lines around since forever outside of the one season with Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl so now that they have a line that is even more dominant than that Maroon-Mcdavid-Draisaitl line, why would they break that up?

McDavid makes top dollar and is the best player in the league, he'll just have to make chicken salad out of chicken shit for a while until somebody earns a full time spot on that line.
It's about time McDavid learned how to play with the runts of the litter for a change, for some reason Draisaitl and RNH were always stuck with that role in years past.
If AA earns the trust of the coach after a solid stretch of games on the 3rd line, I'm sure he'll be first in line for the McDavid spot. Hell, even Puljujarvi if he wants it enough.
Breaking up the best line in hockey in 2020 for the sake of helping McDavid (who shouldn't need much help if he's as good as everybody thinks he is) seems silly to me.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We at least need to give him next season. He's still got to wash out the taint of playing for a historically bad team. Look at what happened to so many Oilers during our dark years that looked like they didn't belong in the league, only to go to winning teams and have great seasons.

Reactions: KYams17 and TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Next year we need to try

RNH McDavid Kassian

For a good long stretch.

Agreed during playoffs is the wrong time.

I'd like to see him with Draisaitl, although my only issue is that the line seems to work well because both RNH and Yamamoto bust their asses off offensively and defensively which helps them keep the puck in the right direction. If AA can learn to put in the effort at the boards and hounding the puck on both sides of the rink, I think he could be a good fit there.

It's all up to him if he can change his game, currently he isnt that player but it's not impossible for him to change, he just has to be willing and so things he has never done in his career.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Next year we need to try

RNH McDavid Kassian

For a good long stretch.

I think that would be a good top 6 combo. The only way it could be better is if JP comes back and proves that he belongs in the top 6.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Shouldn't that apply to McDavid then?
If a player like MacKinnon can produce with 15 different linemates as long as there is a reasonable level of skill for them to work with, McDavid should not be any different.

Chemistry is not always easy to find and the Oilers have been shuffling lines around since forever outside of the one season with Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl so now that they have a line that is even more dominant than that Maroon-Mcdavid-Draisaitl line, why would they break that up?

McDavid makes top dollar and is the best player in the league, he'll just have to make chicken salad out of chicken shit for a while until somebody earns a full time spot on that line.
It's about time McDavid learned how to play with the runts of the litter for a change, for some reason Draisaitl and RNH were always stuck with that role in years past.

McDavid can get production with most reasonable line mates.

It's better though to have two lines scoring more, than just one line that's hot and one that's getting by/doing "just OK".

Leon plays well with speed based players, we've seen that with Hall and McDavid both.

Playing McDavid and Draisaitl together while it was great for that one line in the long term I think hurt this team. It turned us into an unbalanced, easy to play against one line threat and demoralized the other 3 lines because they weren't able to get in on the scoring to build any confidence.

We don't have the luxury of spending another 5-6 million on a winger for McDavid, especially when you also are giving RNH a raise on top of that.

You need to make AA work on one of the top 6 lines.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

It's better though to have two lines scoring more, than just one line that's hot and one that's getting by/doing "just OK".

Leon plays well with speed based players, we've seen that with Hall and McDavid both.

Playing McDavid and Draisaitl together while it was great for that one line in the long term I think hurt this team. It turned us into an unbalanced, easy to play against one line threat and demoralized the other 3 lines because they weren't able to get in on the scoring to build any confidence.
I definitely think we need to get another young hungry forward on the third line to push. AA needs to be given the opportunity for sure but I don't think tell him it's his spot no matter what will motivate him. I think he needs a guy behind him that's hungry that can push him and keep him honest. Not thinking an expensive guy but a young guy on a team that may not have room for him that we can move one of our defensive prospects for.

No idea who right now but I think it would be right now but competition is always good for guys who haven't solidified themselves as anything yet. Also gives us a backup incase he doesn't work.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed during playoffs is the wrong time.

I'd like to see him with Draisaitl, although my only issue is that the line seems to work well because both RNH and Yamamoto bust their asses off offensively and defensively which helps them keep the puck in the right direction. If AA can learn to put in the effort at the boards and hounding the puck on both sides of the rink, I think he could be a good fit there.

It's all up to him if he can change his game, currently he isnt that player but it's not impossible for him to change, he just has to be willing and so things he has never done in his career.

If Leon is the player most of us think he is, he should be able to turn AA into a 25 goal scorer at least.

You shouldn't just be a good player because of one type of line combination.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I definitely think we need to get another young hungry forward on the third line to push. AA needs to be given the opportunity for sure but I don't think tell him it's his spot no matter what will motivate him. I think he needs a guy behind him that's hungry that can push him and keep him honest. Not thinking an expensive guy but a young guy on a team that may not have room for him that we can move one of our defensive prospects for.

No idea who right now but I think it would be right now but competition is always good for guys who haven't solidified themselves as anything yet. Also gives us a backup incase he doesn't work.

We don't even have two consistent scoring lines in the top 6 yet, lets get that figured out first, lol.

The team is still fragile, we're not so far removed from a time where our forward depth was laughably dismal to the point where we couldn't even ice two sets of forwards for 3-on-3 OT.

We're just now recovering from the damage that Chiarelli inflicted by stripping this forward group down into practical garbage.

We need to work with what we have. We can worry about 3rd/4th lines when we figure out a consistent top two lines. We're not even there yet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Leon is the player most of us think he is, he should be able to turn AA into a 25 goal scorer at least.

That's true but I'm talking about what made the line great.

And I hate that "if they are as good as they think they should be able to turn blank player into a high scorer".

Some players simply don't work together. AAs game works best when he had the puck and can break out and attack the net. Draisaitl plays his best game (not talking about with McDavid that's all different) with guys who he can have give and go with. Guys who can pass and get open to passes. Right now that's not AAs game.

That said if AA is as good as some of you think, he should have no problem adapting his game to work great with Draisaitl.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We don't even have two consistent scoring lines in the top 6 yet, lets get that figured out first, lol.

The team is still fragile, we're not so far removed from a time where our forward depth was laughably dismal to the point where we couldn't even ice two sets of forwards for 3-on-3 OT.

We're just now recovering from the damage that Chiarelli inflicted by stripping this forward group down into practical garbage.

We need to work with what we have. We can worry about 3rd/4th lines when we figure out a consistent top two lines. We're not even there yet.
Well my point is to get a young guy that can push AA as we don't have a consistent top 2 lines. We have no clue if AA will for sure work there so having a backup that could push a bit is to help the 2nd line. Cause what do we do if AA doesn't work? Throw some bad players up there again?

Not even worried about the bottom 6, just want more than one option up there than a guy with one good season who has some big warts from playing on a shit team

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's true but I'm talking about what made the line great.

And I hate that "if they are as good as they think they should be able to turn blank player into a high scorer".

Some players simply don't work together. AAs game works best when he had the puck and can break out and attack the net. Draisaitl plays his best game (not talking about with McDavid that's all different) with guys who he can have give and go with. Guys who can pass and get open to passes. Right now that's not AAs game.

That said if AA is as good as some of you think, he should have no problem adapting his game to work great with Draisaitl.

AA is not a superstar player, he's a guy who can score in this league though.

Draisaitl is a (probable) Hart trophy winner. This is a world of difference for expectation.

So no, the expectation here should not be the same. And I think Leon can produce with AA just fine. You have to at least give it a freaking chance (unlike Ryan Strome) first though.

You can't just do it for 2 games and then decide you're not doing it anymore. That's not smart roster management.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

We don't have the luxury of spending another 5-6 million on a winger for McDavid, especially when you also are giving RNH a raise on top of that.

You need to make AA work on one of the top 6 lines.

It's McDavid, his line should score at a reasonably high level with any semblance of skill on that line. Just look at the even strength numbers Kassian has put up with McDavid and Maroon in his good year. The Oilers will always have 2 scoring lines with this current set up.

What we do know, at least based on a 2.5 month sample size is that the RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto line destroys their opponent at even strength.
The team as a whole was 5th in even strength scoring after that line was put together and horrendous prior to that (which is why it bugs me that people call the Oilers a weak 5 on 5 team because it was a different team in 2020). It's a huge advantage for the Oilers top line to be one that does not have McDavid on it. It increasing the chances of McDavid drawing weaker matchups and then it's time to feast.

If you're intent on trying AA in the top 6, give him a test drive on the McDavid line to start preseason (if it happens) and let it roll for a while. You don't break up chemistry like the Draisaitl line currently has outside of some in game tinkering if the team is completely flat.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
AA is not a superstar player, he's a guy who can score in this league though.

Draisaitl is a (probable) Hart trophy winner. This is a world of difference for expectation.

So no, the expectation here should not be the same. And I think Leon can produce with AA just fine. You have to at least give it a freaking chance (unlike Ryan Strome) first though.
Absolutely give him a chance. I think he is much closer to a 20 goal guy than a 30 goal guy as he has hit 30 once and the rest were sub 20 goals. Expecting him to be a 30 goal guy is setting ourselves up for dissapointment, expecting 20 is still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He is absolutely not a superstar, we need him to be a good complimentary player. Good complimentary players find ways to compliment their star linemate, so their superstar linemates can play their best game and not have to change to fit that winger.

Thags why Maroon was so good with McDavid. He did what McDavid needed him to do, so McDavid could play his game how he wanted to, not how he needed to to make Maroon work.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's McDavid, his line should score at a reasonably high level with any semblance of skill on that line. Just look at the even strength numbers Kassian has put up with McDavid and Maroon in his good year. The Oilers will always have 2 scoring lines with this current set up.

What we do know, at least based on a 2.5 month sample size is that the RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto line destroys their opponent at even strength.
The team as a whole was 5th in even strength scoring after that line was put together and horrendous prior to that (which is why it bugs me that people call the Oilers a weak 5 on 5 team). It's a huge advantage for the Oilers top line to be one that does not have McDavid on it. It increasing the chances of McDavid drawing weaker matchups and then it's time to feast.

If you're intent on trying AA in the top 6, give him a test drive on the McDavid line to start preseason (if it happens) and let it roll for a while. You don't break up chemistry like the Draisaitl line currently has outside of some in game tinkering if the team is completely flat.

For next season you have to try AA + Draisaitl together. Otherwise you carelessly spend 2nd round picks on nothing.

RNH and Yamamoto didn't make Leon, I don't buy this narrative at all. Yes they work together, but guess what ... Leon plays well with just about anyone that isn't a f***ing garbage can. He's produced well with almost every offensively talented player he's been paired with.

The only time Draisaitl has struggled here is when he was given 3rd/4th line tier garbage players who can't score 15 goals consistently.

Worshipping one line like the McDavid + Draisaitl pairing, we can see now pretty clearly was a mistake. You're actually doing a disservice to Draisaitl because really what you are saying is this -- you don't trust this player is good enough to get good results in any other situation.

If Matthews, Marner, MacKinnon, Pastranak, etc. etc. can produce on a bunch of different line combinations, Leon will too. You can't get married to one line combo and let the rest of the lineup suffer as a result.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For next season you have to try AA + Draisaitl together. Otherwise you carelessly spend 2nd round picks on nothing.

RNH and Yamamoto didn't make Leon, I don't buy this narrative at all. Yes they work together, but guess what ... Leon plays well with just about anyone that isn't a f***ing garbage can.

The only time Draisaitl has struggled here is when he was given 3rd/4th line tier garbage players who can't score 15 goals consistently.

Worshipping one line like the McDavid + Draisaitl pairing, we can see now pretty clearly was a mistake. You're actually doing a disservice to Draisaitl because really what you are saying is this -- you don't trust this player is good enough to get good results in any other situation.
Why do we have to try AA and Draisaitl.

By your logic McDavid should have no problem with AA. Why breakapart a line that we know works when with your logic, McDavid should also easily make AA a 25 goal scorer two, giving us two line?

You are doing McDavid a disservice by saying he can't work with AA.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

This is patently false. Draisaitl has been a ‘good’ (lol what an understatement) player with Hall, McDavid, Nuge, and Yamamoto. He’s likely our most versatile of the stars due to his game style. He slows down the game at an elite level and heady players like Nuge and Yamamoto thrive on that. The reason that line does so well is that Nuge and Yamamoto are perfect compliments to this. Yamamoto brings a gritty ‘organized chaos’ with his reads off of Drai (in particular) and a never say die play style. Nuge has a stealthy wrister and has excellent playmaking ability and has moved into a good winger role, able to puck retrieve at a surprising level. AA is more a Hall lite so that line would perform differently.

Personally I’d like to see this:

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
AA - Drai - Yamamoto

But AA will have to be able to do puck retrieval and defer more than he has in the past. I think it will come.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you can move him in a deal for a more established player, why not? We have needs on the wing and at 3C. If Athanasiou isn't addressing either of those going into the offseason, again, why wouldn't you consider flipping him for a player who does?

This isn't about panicking, it's about doing what's best for the team.

You'll hear people repeat that he scored 30. He also saw top line ice with Detroit's best pivot that season, quality PP time and the longest leash you could ask for. The result was a 30 goal, 60 point season and an xGA of over 8 more than he was producing. He was repeating that xGA this season, but the production dried up. He's showing that he's a net negative producer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why do we have to try AA and Draisaitl.

By your logic McDavid should have no problem with AA. Why breakapart a line that we know works when with your logic, McDavid should also easily make AA a 25 goal scorer two, giving us two line?

You are doing McDavid a disservice by saying he can't work with AA.

I'm fine with trying McDavid with AA again too, quite frankly he was yanked off that line prematurely. In the first game together AA scored the game tying goal and had the primary assist on Ennis' goal to boot. The next game which I believe was in Vegas AA got hurt and had to leave the game.

After that he got like one more game with McDavid likely playing hurt and then was put on the 3rd line.

This isn't a reasonable sample size. But McDavid seems to have some issues playing with other speed players that like to carry the puck, he didn't mesh so great with Hall either.

Draisaitl on the other hand plays great with speed based players and has no problem playing with guys that prefer to carry the puck, Hall, McDavid, no problem.

You can't just spend two 2nd round picks on a player and decide like a spoiled 9 year old that you don't like this new toy and want a new one.

Guess what? The freaking toy store is closed buddy, mommy and daddy's account is closed, so you're just going to have to learn to play with that toy and enjoy it.

We don't have 6-7 million lying around now to go spend on other wingers with a flat cap because all of the sudden we have to be married to one line combination.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

RNH and Yamamoto didn't make Leon, I don't buy this narrative at all. Yes they work together, but guess what ... Leon plays well with just about anyone that isn't a f***ing garbage can. He's produced well with almost every offensively talented player he's been paired with.

If Matthews, Marner, MacKinnon, Pastranak, etc. etc. can produce on a bunch of different line combinations, Leon will too. You can't get married to one line combo and let the rest of the lineup suffer as a result.

Why does it HAVE TO be Draisaitl? I'm confused.

I never said that RNH and Yamamoto made Draisaitl. I'm probably the biggest Draisaitl fan out there, but I've never seen an Oiler line with this level of chemistry in my lifetime (was a little too young to see Gretzky-Kurri, Messier-Anderson in their prime).

Again, I'm going to replace Draisaitl with McDavid in all your statements.
If Matthews, Marner, MacKinnon, Pastrnak can produce with a whole bunch of line combinations, Connor can too.
And btw, MacKinnon and Pastrnak have had largely the same linemates the last two seasons. Rantanen-MacKinnon-Landeskog and Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak and look at how awesome those teams are without a McDavid to anchor their 2nd line.

The Oilers already have a line that clicks and that's not including the best player on the team. The best player on the team should be tasked with trying to elevate the lesser players. Try AA with McDavid for a while and see where it goes. Leave the Drai line alone, not breaking that up for the sake of accommodating AA.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I never said that RNH and Yamamoto made Draisaitl. I'm probably the biggest Draisaitl fan out there, but I've never seen an Oiler line with this level of chemistry in my lifetime (was a little too young to see Gretzky-Kurri, Messier-Anderson in their prime).

If Matthews, Marner, MacKinnon, Pastrnak can produce with a whole bunch of line combinations, Connor can too.
And btw, MacKinnon and Pastrnak have had largely the same linemates the last two seasons. Rantanen-MacKinnon-Landeskog and Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak and look at how awesome those teams are without a McDavid to anchor their 2nd line.

The Oilers already have a line that clicks and that's not including the best player on the team. The best player on the team should be tasked with trying to elevate the lesser players. Try AA with McDavid for a while and see where it goes. Leave the Drai line alone, not breaking that up for the sake of accommodating AA.
I get his point about the issue with the Draisaitl and McDavid line causing issues cause we had nothing left. But that was entirely because we had no one left to drive a line. Having a line that's top 3 in the league, you don't break that up while you also have the best player in the league, not on that line

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I never said that RNH and Yamamoto made Draisaitl, I'm probably the biggest Draisaitl fan out there, but I've never seen an Oiler line with this level of chemistry in my lifetime (was a little too young to see Gretzky-Kurri, Messier-Anderson in their prime).

One of the two need to work, we're not going anywhere if the two of them can only produce in very strict line combinations that you can't ever change.

Because really how is that supposed to work? RNH is going to need a raise and eventually so will Yamamoto, you don't have money then for anyone to be on McDavid's line.

They have to learn to play and produce with cheaper options like the Athansious of the world.

Sorry, but that's the reality, especially with a cap that is not rising for the next 3 years.

Because we don't have great winger depth or a clear cut option for McDavid, likely RNH has to eventually slide up to play with McDavid.

Yamamoto + Draisaitl need to then learn to maintain their chemistry and integrate another skilled but imperfect player in AA. You can't just throw away AA and think "well we'll just find someone else".

With what? Throwing away more picks? And with exactly what cap space?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One of the two need to work, we're not going anywhere if the two of them can only produce in very strict line combinations that you can't ever change.

Because really how is that supposed to work? RNH is going to need a raise and eventually so will Yamamoto, you don't have money then for anyone to be on McDavid's line.

They have to learn to play and produce with cheaper options like the Athansious of the world.

Sorry, but that's the reality, especially with a cap that is not rising for the next 3 years.

It looks like you quoted my post after the edit.

What I added previously is that MacKinnon and Pastrnak have had the same linemates the majority of the last two seasons without a McDavid to anchor their 2nd line and those are top teams so why can't it work for the Oilers? In fact, as I illustrated, it has worked for the Oilers as the Yamamotoilers are the 5th highest scoring team in the league at even strength and the team was humming along at 16-7 even with the injuries to key guys and that little slump headed into the pause.

The biggest problem isn't the top two lines. It's the bottom 6 namely that big hole at #3C. Adding a #3C (would have to move some money out) would make a world of difference. Having Sheahan and Archibald on your 4th line would be one of the best in the league. Add somebody like Haula, Soderberg or hell, even somebody like Cody Eakin and you add much more versatility to your lineup. They can play AA on the 3rd line to pair with somebody who can score a bit or move him up if need be.
With the current configuration, you can always move him to the McDavid line for a test run like I said before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce