Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Athansiou is 25 and a year removed from a 30 goal season, lol.

This entitled mentality of writing off players after a handful of games is simply not going to work anymore, especially with a fixed salary cap.

Teams are going to have to get more out of the players they have, you can't act like a whiny 16 year old crying to daddy that this pony isn't the one you wanted and you want a new one.

You get what you get, the Oilers have enough talent now up and down the lineup, they need to work with what they have to ensure they are getting the most from it. Simple as that.

Play AA with Draisaitl ... McDavid had issues playing with Hall, he doesn't click immediately with other speed players that want to carry the puck.

Draisiaitl is tailor made to play with speed players (McDavid, Hall).

Getting the most out of players like Athansiou, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Benson is going to be key for the Oilers, not pipe dreaming about big moves. You have the best player in the world and your 2nd best player just won the freaking Art Ross trophy (and probably the Hart as league MVP). You don't need slam dunk moves, you need to be smart in managing and developing your support players to get the best out of them.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

This entitled mentality of writing off players after a handful of games is simply not going to work anymore, especially with a fixed salary cap.

Teams are going to have to get more out of the players they have, you can't act like a whiny 16 year old crying to daddy that this pony isn't the one you wanted and you want a new one.

You get what you get, the Oilers have enough talent now up and down the lineup, they need to work with what they have to ensure they are getting the most from it. Simple as that.

Play AA with Draisaitl ... McDavid had issues playing with Hall, he doesn't click immediately with other speed players that want to carry the puck.

Getting the most out of players like Athansiou, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Benson is going to be key for the Oilers, not pipe dreaming about big moves. You have the best player in the world and your 2nd best player just won the freaking Art Ross trophy (and probably the Hart as league MVP). You don't need slam dunk moves, you need to be smart in managing and developing your support players to get the best out of them.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Having RNH anchoring the 3rd line will be valuable in playoffs.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

Agree. I wouldn't mind see AA with drai.
They could always put nuge back with draisaitl when tippet wants to stack a line while having McDavid on his line.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Im very happy he got AA. The problem with this fan base is if a fella goes on a cold streak, its off with his head. I remember reading some blogs and people wanted Drai gone. Another funny one was when Holland came in. People wanted him fired because he didn't make a big splash on July 1st FA. How could he? We were maxed. I give Holland an A+ on dumping Lucic and getting the players he did. Wait till he actually has money to work with

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Having RNH anchoring the 3rd line will be valuable in playoffs.
Having RNH didn't do anything positive for us in the regular season, why would that change in the playoffs?

I'm willing to give AA a chance, I just don't think he will end up working for the club. From the rumors about his attitude to putting the world in which if true would be a major issue for Tippett. To his awful defensive play. I think the issue with AA is until he improves his defensive play, you can't put him on a line that routinely sees the best in the league.
I'd be down trying him with other guys Drai or McDavid in camp to see if something's there but if not quick he should be on the third line for the playoffs. Can't waste the playoffs trying to get him going. Regular season, whatever try it

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I wonder if we move Draisaitl and McDavid back together?

Ennis-McDavid-Draisaitl
AA-Nuge-Yamamoto

We know that top line can dominate and we can see if that second line can get some chemistry going.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Having RNH didn't do anything positive for us in the regular season, why would that change in the playoffs?

I'm willing to give AA a chance, I just don't think he will end up working for the club. From the rumors about his attitude to putting the world in which if true would be a major issue for Tippett. To his awful defensive play. I think the issue with AA is until he improves his defensive play, you can't put him on a line that routinely sees the best in the league.
I'd be down trying him with other guys Drai or McDavid in camp to see if something's there but if not quick he should be on the third line for the playoffs. Can't waste the playoffs trying to get him going. Regular season, whatever try it

Did your “source” tell you that?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did your “source” tell you that?

There also has been rumors for years that he often doesn't get along with coaches.

Hence why I said rumors. Don't know if the above tweet is a real quote in the end or not, but I can't see him lying and it does fit with how AA was playing in Detroit for a while

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You can see it in AA's game. I've watched a ton of him in Det...he cheats for offense and doesn't use his linemates half the time.
I've never seen a player so clueless of his surroundings and just skate it into trouble.
I watched one draw dropping OT last year where he tried several times to do it himself. It was exciting cuz you had him and Larkin on the ice, so you kinda felt bad for the other team.
What resulted was the most frustrating display of selfishness one could see.
End result...Det loses cuz AA got stripped for like the 4th time.
Refused to pass on 2 on 1's, refused to create space and just simply tried to go 1 on 1 everytime.
Larkins face said a 1000 words

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

There also has been rumors for years that he often doesn't get along with coaches.

Hence why I said rumors. Don't know if the above tweet is a real quote in the end or not, but I can't see him lying and it does fit with how AA was playing in Detroit for a while

Theres a reason why Stevie Y was willing to let him go for so cheap. He’s playing on a good team now so he’s going to have to learn to play a team game now or get bounced around the league. The good thing is that if he doesn’t work out you can still get back the assets that were given for him.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

9 Games played = he won’t end up working etc etc

You also said Yamamoto wouldn’t work

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Theres a reason why Stevie Y was willing to let him go for so cheap. He’s playing on a good team now so he’s going to have to learn to play a team game now or get bounced around the league. The good thing is that if he doesn’t work out you can still get back the assets that were given for him.
And you know this after 9 games with us? Because I didn’t see him cheat defensively. You do know players are humans and players attitudes can change? Maybe he was like this because he played on a dumpster heap for so long? Do you know how many players on that team we’re terrible minus players?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
9 Games played = he won’t end up working etc etc

You also said Yamamoto wouldn’t work
As usual you absolutely don't read a single thing I actually say and try to discredit me based on previous things. Ignoring the content of someone posts and just bringing up unrelated things they were wrong about is extremely petty.

To continue, I'm not basing it on 9 games alone. I'm basing it off of his time in Detroit the last couple years, and the comments I have heard rumors about.

If the rumors are false, and he can change his way to be less selfish and learn to play a team game, he can do very well here. I do believe however if the rumors are true and he doesn't quickly learn what it takes, Tippett won't have time for him. Tippett isn't a fan of selfish players, that's a known fact. He likes players who work hard to do the right things and plays for the team, not themselves.

Tippett can help him out but AA needs to understand the opportunity he has here, and take it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
And you know this after 9 games with us? Because I didn’t see him cheat defensively. You do know players are humans and players attitudes can change? Maybe he was like this because he played on a dumpster heap for so long? Do you know how many players on that team we’re terrible minus players?

Not talking about his time with us. I’m talking about his time with Detroit. How many GMs would trade a RFA that’s coming off a 30 goal season for two 2nds if there wasn’t a problem with the player. I’m hoping that he fits into the teams system and Detroit’s loss
becomes our gain.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You can see it in AA's game. I've watched a ton of him in Det...he cheats for offense and doesn't use his linemates half the time.
I've never seen a player so clueless of his surroundings and just skate it into trouble.
I watched one draw dropping OT last year where he tried several times to do it himself. It was exciting cuz you had him and Larkin on the ice, so you kinda felt bad for the other team.
What resulted was the most frustrating display of selfishness one could see.
End result...Det loses cuz AA got stripped for like the 4th time.
Refused to pass on 2 on 1's, refused to create space and just simply tried to go 1 on 1 everytime.
Larkins face said a 1000 words
Zetterberg called him out
AA and Mantha got called out a few years ago for playing his words "too much poke and hope". He continued "Poke-and-hope might get you 25-30 goals, but you will never win anything"

Now unless people want to call Zetterberg stupid, you can't help but agree with him there. That style fits AA to a T still. NO ONE is saying that he can't change for the better though. He definitely could. However based on his entire career so far, I'd put the likelihood at low.

Also it takes a lot for Zetterberg to get pissed at his own teammates.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not talking about his time with us. I’m talking about his time with Detroit. How many GMs would trade a RFA that’s coming off a 30 goal season for two 2nds if there wasn’t a problem with the player. I’m hoping that he fits into the teams system and Detroit’s loss
becomes our gain.
Detroit was desperately trying to lose weren’t they? Also AA was having a bad year. We also gave 2 2nds for him in an amazing draft year. That’s hardly nothing

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Zetterberg called him out
AA and Mantha got called out a few years ago for playing his words "too much poke and hope". He continued "Poke-and-hope might get you 25-30 goals, but you will never win anything"

Now unless people want to call Zetterberg stupid, you can't help but agree with him there. That style fits AA to a T still. NO ONE is saying that he can't change for the better though. He definitely could. However based on his entire career so far, I'd put the likelihood at low.

Also it takes a lot for Zetterberg to get pissed at his own teammates.
Please provide the evidence where all of this was said

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You see lots of guys get throw under the bus with their old team only to go on and put it all together with their new team. I remember when people were complaining about Dougie Hamilton only to go on to turn into a #1 defenceman.

You put AA in a position to succeed and focus on the things he does well. Tippett is a guy who will get the most out of his guys. Hopefully he learns the system sooner than later and see the giant opportunity that is in front of him. McDavid or Draisaitl could pad his stats for the next decade.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
As usual you absolutely don't read a single thing I actually say and try to discredit me based on previous things. Ignoring the content of someone posts and just bringing up unrelated things they were wrong about is extremely petty.

To continue, I'm not basing it on 9 games alone. I'm basing it off of his time in Detroit the last couple years, and the comments I have heard rumors about.

If the rumors are false, and he can change his way to be less selfish and learn to play a team game, he can do very well here. I do believe however if the rumors are true and he doesn't quickly learn what it takes, Tippett won't have time for him. Tippett isn't a fan of selfish players, that's a known fact. He likes players who work hard to do the right things and plays for the team, not themselves.

Tippett can help him out but AA needs to understand the opportunity he has here, and take it.
Oh so what I’m doing is extremely petty? Your using rumours, like those zetterberg comments to justify what your saying but you haven’t provided the evidence. Provide the evidence and I’ll agree with you. I’ve learnt, from how you were justifying your thing against Yamamoto, to take things you say with a grain of salt unless you provide evidence

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You see lots of guys get throw under the bus with their old team only to go on and put it all together with their new team. I remember when people were complaining about Dougie Hamilton only to go on to turn into a #1 defenceman.

You put AA in a position to succeed and focus on the things he does well. Tippett is a guy who will get the most out of his guys. Hopefully he learns the system sooner than later and see the giant opportunity that is in front of him. McDavid or Draisaitl could pad his stats for the next decade.
People were throwing Hall under the bus before he got traded weren’t they?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Please provide the evidence where all of this was said
Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg calls out young players after loss

There. He didn't specify their names because, no good captain does. But before you say it could of been anyone, it fit exactly what AA and Mantha did that game to piss him off and they themselves knew it was them.

Red Wings' Mantha, Athanasiou respond to 'poke-and-hope' criticism

This was 2 seasons ago so not really too long ago. The last 2 seasons he has been the worst +/- player on his team, and a lot of it has to do with his style of play. The "Poke-and-hope" style of his game is still there. Even in his 30 goal season, he was looking for the highlight real play and not really caring to much about make the smart play.

AA turns 26 next month. He is no longer a young player. Which is why people are more concerned than they would be for a younger player. The older a player gets the less likely the are to change their game a bunch

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh so what I’m doing is extremely petty? Your using rumours, like those zetterberg comments to justify what your saying but you haven’t provided the evidence. Provide the evidence and I’ll agree with you. I’ve learnt, from how you were justifying your thing against Yamamoto, to take things you say with a grain of salt unless you provide evidence
And I'm not using rumors to justify what I'm saying.

I'm literally saying IF the rumors are true, I don't see him excelling here. And if they aren't true, he still has a bunch of work to do but has a much better chance of bouncing back.

And yes, using something completely unrelated to this player to disagree with me when you literally aren't reading anything I'm saying is petty

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think AA's best spot would be creating some offense on the third line.

Find a semi-competent offensive #3C and have him play with AA and someone like Chiasson and let them feast on 3rd line competition.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg calls out young players after loss

There. He didn't specify their names because, no good captain does. But before you say it could of been anyone, it fit exactly what AA and Mantha did that game to piss him off and they themselves knew it was them.

Red Wings' Mantha, Athanasiou respond to 'poke-and-hope' criticism

This was 2 seasons ago so not really too long ago. The last 2 seasons he has been the worst +/- player on his team, and a lot of it has to do with his style of play. The "Poke-and-hope" style of his game is still there. Even in his 30 goal season, he was looking for the highlight real play and not really caring to much about make the smart play.

AA turns 26 next month. He is no longer a young player. Which is why people are more concerned than they would be for a younger player. The older a player gets the less likely the are to change their game a bunch
But AA and Mantha both agreed with Z and said they need to be better. How’s that bad? Yeah AA has been a terrible plus minus this year but we’re talking about a season where Hronek is -38, Larkin is -21, Bertuzzi is -24, glendening is -29

last year he was -9 and he wasn’t the worst plus minus on the team (Cholowski-20) and it was another bad year for the team.

I understand where you are coming from but this isn’t just due to the players bad play. It’s also due to the horrid team. Has AA been called out the last 2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad