Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Quality Wing Options Remains, Can We Sign One Of Them?

Does Broberg Make The Oilers Opening Day Roster Next Season?

• Yes

• No

• -----------------------------------------------------------------

• BONUS: Broberg plays atleast 20 NHL games throughout next season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If 49% on faceoffs is good, we have a really low standard around here.
Face-off stats- 2019-20 regular season - 2019 - Puckbase

He was ranked 72nd in the NHL. So if you factor in all 31 teams he would be on the very high end of #3, borderline #2 on almost every team for FO %.

Considering his heavy heavy defensive zone usage and majority of those draws taken in the D zone, I would certainly categorize that as “good”.
There are lots of times when the stats guys just muddy the waters. But when it comes to FO% there has been a number of very good studies come up with the exact same conclusion. Here is one of the easiest to read.

http://statsportsconsulting.com/main/wp-content/uploads/FaceoffAnalysis12-12.pdf

The rough translation...It takes on average about 240 extra faceoff wins to generate one more point in the standings. Suffice it to say the net impact of his faceoff % on winning is miniscule at best.

Agreed, I didn’t say anything about the FO% helping win games, just that it was “good” and somehow people jumped on that. His defensive zone usage on this teams as I above stated was something they will sorely lack next season, as well as being one of the best PK FWD in the league, I think with little doubt that had the cap not stayed flat Holland, or another team, would have valued his contributions this past season to work out, as I stated before, a reasonable deal.

Now to the whole point people are missing, I said he was worthy of a contract, but likely ends up being squeezed into a PTO somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shathar

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You literally quoted me and said “ I wouldn’t say a “good” FO percentage” those are your exact words. What he did was good considering his usage.

I haven’t read a thing saying he wanted a raise? Do you have a link for that?
Yah he didn’t have a good face off percentage. Again... it’s not elite.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
From the Lowetide article the other day Sheahan and his lines got badly outscored at 5 on 5. I don't know his final numbers because in that article he only listed the third line numbers but Sheahan wasn't even close to treading water.

Khaira-Riley Sheahan-Josh Archibald: 154 minutes, 48.6 shot differential, 25 percent goal differential (4-12)

Khaira-Sheahan-Patrick Russell: 107 minutes, 41.7 shot differential, 14.3 percent goal differential (1-6)

Lowetide: Can Kyle Turris centre an outscoring No. 3 line in Edmonton?

Even with heavy defensive zone starts those numbers are really unflattering.

No idea why he thought he deserved a raise. I have a lot of time for Sheahan on a league minimum deal but that's about it and I doubt anyone goes higher.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Would rather have Sheahan than Haas. Don't know why we couldn't just resign Sheahan, dude did everything right last year just didn't score much which is fine for a defensive minded 4th line C.

He wasn't really a fit in that role. He struggled a ton with gaining possession and keeping it and it showed up big ton in the minus column.

You can't be relied upon in a heavy defensive zone role if you can't get the puck and give it right back when you do.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If 49% on faceoffs is good, we have a really low standard around here.

we spend over 20 million on our top 2 offensive centers. If we can spend under a million on a guy that does all the heavy lifting on D faceoffs and basically saws it off (while being a key player on the leagues top PK), its a BFD.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
From the Lowetide article the other day Sheahan and his lines got badly outscored at 5 on 5. I don't know his final numbers because in that article he only listed the third line numbers but Sheahan wasn't even close to treading water.

Khaira-Riley Sheahan-Josh Archibald: 154 minutes, 48.6 shot differential, 25 percent goal differential (4-12)

Khaira-Sheahan-Patrick Russell: 107 minutes, 41.7 shot differential, 14.3 percent goal differential (1-6)

Lowetide: Can Kyle Turris centre an outscoring No. 3 line in Edmonton?

Even with heavy defensive zone starts those numbers are really unflattering.

No idea why he thought he deserved a raise. I have a lot of time for Sheahan on a league minimum deal but that's about it and I doubt anyone goes higher.

Khaira and Sheahan on the same line was not a good look. Too slow and poor chemistry.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
we spend over 20 million on our top 2 offensive centers. If we can spend under a million on a guy that does all the heavy lifting on D faceoffs and basically saws it off (while being a key player on the leagues top PK), its a BFD.
I think there is a good chance Haas or Khaira could replicate those numbers both are younger and better skaters. I would not bring back Sheahan and glad Holland has not.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think there is a good chance Haas or Khaira could replicate those numbers both are younger and better skaters. I would not bring back Sheahan and glad Holland has not.

I'd say they can pretty easily.

Sheahan was far from someone who isn't replaceable. He was a black hole at 5v5 and good on a PK where literally everyone who played on it was successful.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'm glad most people are now on the Riley Sheahan is bad bandwagon after that crap he pulled in the play-ins.

tenor.gif

:D:thumbu:

Reactions: Cloned

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I know it’s Instagram but

Attachments

• 651AF290-EB11-449F-84D1-3740A537695E.png
    651AF290-EB11-449F-84D1-3740A537695E.png
    637 KB · Views: 11

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I know it’s Instagram but

That’s pretty much a nothing burger.

I mean obviously those teams would have interest.

Whether any of those teams will dive in is another thing. I can’t see how we fit Hoffman under the cap especially with Bear needing a contract. We’d likely need to clear $6M+ just to fit them both on friendly deals.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Yikes - their lists are terrible. I was waiting for Button to disagree about the Oilers but he has them even lower. Funny how some people forget last season so easily and focus so much on the COVID playoffs.

I probably have it as the following (biased, obviously):

1. Toronto - Probably the deepest up front, and one of the best goalies. Defense improved bringing in Brodie (yes I puked typing this).

2. Edmonton - Goaltending is a question mark that could cost us, but I really think this is overstated. It was fine during the regular season. 4 games doesn't change that, but they obviously need to be better. Best team in the regular season and likely continue trending in a positive direction.

3. Vancouver - Trending in the right direction, but got slightly worse in the offseason. Remains to be seen if last year was a goaltending miracle or a sign of things to come.

4. Calgary - Defense got worse, but they did add Markstrom which could offset that. I think they'll be mediocre as usual (2018-19 was a fluke).

5. Montreal - Made a bunch of moves, but I'm scratching my head. They added players but at what cost? Honestly don't get why people are hyping the moves that much. Maybe they can ride goaltending again.

6. Winnipeg - Same as Montreal, but they have better offense and worse defense. I doubt we see another Hart level season from Hellebuyck.

7. Ottawa - Doesn't need explaining, but they've added a lot of young talent this year. They will be good soon, unless Melnyk trades everyone again, which I totally could see happening.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Vancouver's goaltending is at risk. I'm not sold on Demko. Holtby was declining. Koskinen could be better than either. Calgary could be very good with Markstrom. Hes the real deal.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Vancouver's goaltending is at risk. I'm not sold on Demko. Holtby was declining. Koskinen could be better than either. Calgary could be very good with Markstrom. Hes the real deal.
Markstrom has only established himself recently, in a position that's known to be hit or miss.

He's had pretty middling numbers for a while now - obviously last season's number weren't as reflective of his play, but it's not like he has a track record of being one of the best in the league.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Markstrom has only established himself recently, in a position that's known to be hit or miss.

He's had pretty middling numbers for a while now - obviously last season's number weren't as reflective of his play, but it's not like he has a track record of being one of the best in the league.

People forget that Markstrom’s best season was last one with a .918 save % and he has yet to reach 30 wins in a season (in 60 starts those seasons as well). Calgary downgraded at D so I wonder how well he fares there.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
People forget that Markstrom’s best season was last one with a .918 save % and he has yet to reach 30 wins in a season (in 60 starts those seasons as well). Calgary downgraded at D so I wonder how well he fares there.
One of my friends is a Canucks fan and he mentioned that their goalie coach is who essentially worked with Markstrom and got his game to the level it was at last season. It certainly isn’t a stretch to say his numbers could regress on a different team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
One of my friends is a Canucks fan and he mentioned that their goalie coach is who essentially worked with Markstrom and got his game to the level it was at last season. It certainly isn’t a stretch to say his numbers could regress on a different team.

Regardless of how well he does this season I’m really glad the Oilers didn’t sign him for 7 like rumoured. I see him being good for maybe 3 of those seasons then starting to fall off.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am aware of Markstrom's stats, but those don't always show the whole story. The Canucks have been an awful team that have only lately started to climb back. Just watching the player, he's obviously vezina quality imo, and propped up that team a lot. Goalies age better than other players. I bet he will be good for most of his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad