Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Quality Wing Options Remains, Can We Sign One Of Them?

Does Broberg Make The Oilers Opening Day Roster Next Season?

• Yes

• No

• -----------------------------------------------------------------

• BONUS: Broberg plays atleast 20 NHL games throughout next season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The 4th line center the club ends up with should have some decent wingers for support. Overpaid or not Chiasson and Neal could end up in those positions and can play heavy. Archibald is fierce and inexpensive. We could end up with a competitive 4th line depending on the center and a defense who can actually forward the play.

It is a real shame the club hasn't developed a pivot for that position that stands out. I think Ryan McLeod is the prime candidate from within. Great skater and puck carrier with size but if he shies away from the slot and dirty areas he won't make it.

I think they probably did in Lander but Mclellan couldn't find him a role instead prefering the useful but worse Letestu.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If Andreas Athanasiou actually was offered in the range of 2.4 x 3 (as I've heard rumored, not credibly rumored) his agent should be dismissed for not diagnosing the market correctly. I doubt that offer comes again, from anyone, unless Holland gave his word on a post NHL day 1/LTIR amicable contract.

I imagine that Riley Sheahan was given a similar contract offer to which Josh Archibald signed way back in early march. Why didn't Sheahan take it?

I think the Athanasiou and Sheahan camps played a stupid game of chicken and lost. Hopefully the Oilers made the right call on both. Perhaps one or both of these players reduce their demands and end up on the roster because as it stands currently, both would be improvements in my estimation.

What was so stupid about it? Had the pandemic not happened Shehan would have got a decent deal somewhere, he was a top PK forward and solid 4C with a good FO%, a team looking to address that would have gave him a fine deal with a rising cap.

AA is different in that, see Hoffman, Granlund and others, there just isn’t enough money to go around. I also think rather than signing a reduced deal in Edmonton he will sign one elsewhere. People need to remember this is the second time AA and Holland haven’t see eye to eye in his value and his play, I think that relationship is quite strained by now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What was so stupid about it? Had the pandemic not happened Shehan would have got a decent deal somewhere, he was a top PK forward and solid 4C with a good FO%, a team looking to address that would have gave him a fine deal with a rising cap.

AA is different in that, see Hoffman, Granlund and others, there just isn’t enough money to go around. I also think rather than signing a reduced deal in Edmonton he will sign one elsewhere. People need to remember this is the second time AA and Holland haven’t see eye to eye in his value and his play, I think that relationship is quite strained by now.
What are you talking about? You really think Sheahan did enough this year to ask for a raise? Pandemic or not Sheahan doesn’t get what he’s asking.

I wouldn’t say “good” F/O percentage either... he’s a 1 million dollar player.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

It will be interesting to see where Athanasiou and Sheahan land and what they are paid. Maybe they get less money and single year contracts but win cups with two different teams in consecutive years like the bearded journeyman, Patrick Maroon.

Then again maybe both circle back to Detroit where their careers began. Detroit has the cap to pay Sheahan whatever you think he was entitled to back in March, and have plenty left over to overpay on Athanasiou. Maybe they see something good on the horizon in Edmonton and take the money the club can realistically offer them. If they only want to be here on overpays I don't think we can accommodate either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
What are you talking about? You really think Sheahan did enough this year to ask for a raise? Pandemic or not Sheahan doesn’t get what he’s asking.

I wouldn’t say “good” F/O percentage either... he’s a 1 million dollar player.
What are you talking about? Where did I even say he deserved a raise? I literally said “decent deal”. What is he even asking for then that he’s not worth?

He currently has no deal and likely was not offered one by EDM before going to UFA, he likely ends up on a PTO at best, something ore pandemic his play indicated he was better than.

Sheahan was the Oilers go-to defensive zone face-off taker, winning 45.1% of his team-leading 455 face-offs. While being heavily relied on in the defensive zone, Sheahan took the least amount of offensive zone face-offs out of the Oilers who took at least 100. He did this while starting an astronomically low 32.5% of his shifts in the offensive zone, third lowest on the team. He also took the second most draws on the team with 834, winning 49%of his face-offs in all situations.

He was completely relied on in the defensive zone and had a 49% FO, how is that not good?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would rather have Sheahan than Haas. Don't know why we couldn't just resign Sheahan, dude did everything right last year just didn't score much which is fine for a defensive minded 4th line C.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What are you talking about? Where did I even say he deserved a raise? I literally said “decent deal”. What is he even asking for then that he’s not worth?

He currently has no deal and likely was not offered one by EDM before going to UFA, he likely ends up on a PTO at best, something ore pandemic his play indicated he was better than.

Sheahan was the Oilers go-to defensive zone face-off taker, winning 45.1% of his team-leading 455 face-offs. While being heavily relied on in the defensive zone, Sheahan took the least amount of offensive zone face-offs out of the Oilers who took at least 100. He did this while starting an astronomically low 32.5% of his shifts in the offensive zone, third lowest on the team. He also took the second most draws on the team with 834, winning 49%of his face-offs in all situations.

He was completely relied on in the defensive zone and had a 49% FO, how is that not good?
Did it not come out that he wanted a raise? I’m not saying he was bad at face offs... I’m saying he wasn’t some face off elite.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Did it not come out that he wanted a raise? I’m not saying he was bad at face offs... I’m saying he wasn’t some face off elite.
You literally quoted me and said “ I wouldn’t say a “good” FO percentage” those are your exact words. What he did was good considering his usage.

I haven’t read a thing saying he wanted a raise? Do you have a link for that?

Last edited:

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Would rather have Sheahan than Haas. Don't know why we couldn't just resign Sheahan, dude did everything right last year just didn't score much which is fine for a defensive minded 4th line C.

If it's true he wanted $2 million a year even pre-COVID I'm glad Holland balked at that. We need to keep our depth salaries under control as much as possible to afford a well-rounded roster. That much cash on a fourth line C is a no-go, no matter how good the PK was.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You literally quoted me and said “ I wouldn’t say a “good” FO percentage” those are your exact words. What he did was good considering his usage.

There are lots of times when the stats guys just muddy the waters. But when it comes to FO% there has been a number of very good studies come up with the exact same conclusion. Here is one of the easiest to read.

http://statsportsconsulting.com/main/wp-content/uploads/FaceoffAnalysis12-12.pdf

The rough translation...It takes on average about 240 extra faceoff wins to generate one more point in the standings. Suffice it to say the net impact of his faceoff % on winning is miniscule at best.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

If 49% on faceoffs is good, we have a really low standard around here.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If it's true he wanted $2 million a year even pre-COVID I'm glad Holland balked at that. We need to keep our depth salaries under control as much as possible to afford a well-rounded roster. That much cash on a fourth line C is a no-go, no matter how good the PK was.

I seem to recall at one point we were close to a contract with him. Then he switched agents and the price went up. Holland wisely did not go for it.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Congrats to Trevor Daley on a great career, but whew. I was really worried he was Holland’s plan for a vet #6/7.

I wonder if he is looking at Broberg.....if they have known about Klef for a while then working Broberg onto the playoff roster and pushing him to go bananas in the SHL might be a sign that Holland wants to see if he can replace Klef sooner rather than later.

Reactions: DropTheGloves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->