Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Playoffs Edition

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

That would be the price for literally nothing in return. We'd have to add to get Hellebuyck

I question how easy it will be to move Yamo's contract.

I start off by looking at teams like the Jets and Flames. Both have a few strong rental options, that could be the same cap hit as Yamo with 50% retained.

I'm just not interested in paying big assets for a 1 year rental. If Helly were willing to extend at a reasonable rate, I'm very interested.

If his goal is a cup there's no better team to extend with that needs a goalie. It's pretty much us and Vegas (though I think Vegas is happy with Thompson and Brossoit)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That would be the price for literally nothing in return. We'd have to add to get Hellebuyck

If his goal is a cup there's no better team to extend with that needs a goalie. It's pretty much us and Vegas (though I think Vegas is happy with Thompson and Brossoit)
Never pay a goaltender what it's going to cost to sign Hellebuyck to a long term extension.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hellebuyck sounding pretty non-commital about staying in Winnipeg.

Would be pretty unreal if the Oilers could make cap room and find a way to acquire him for our window.
Skinner + Holloway + 1st?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
As a former big time backer of Laurent Brossoit, seeing him .915 his way to a easy series win against Winnipeg is interesting.

We gave up on that guy way too quickly.
Jets were pretty banged up.
Let's wait to see his numbers after McDrai.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
As a former big time backer of Laurent Brossoit, seeing him .915 his way to a easy series win against Winnipeg is interesting.

We gave up on that guy way too quickly.
He was a shell of a goalie by the time the Oilers meat grinder of bad lineups, poor defensive play and suspect goaltending coaching was through with him. Glad to see him succeed,but can’t see how it would have happened here.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He was a shell of a goalie by the time the Oilers meat grinder of bad lineups, poor defensive play and suspect goaltending coaching was through with him. Glad to see him succeed,but can’t see how it would have happened here.
He also went through a year and half of injury rehab and might have needed the "career flashing before his eyes" moment to figure things out

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Bouchard was not much before Ekholm arrived. He really took off in the past couple of months. Broberg has great tools; at the very least, he's got potential to be much better defensively than Bouchard.

What? Bouchard had the best defensive metrics as well zone denials and zone exits and successful puck retrievals on the team before Ekholm arrived. He metrics were pretty close to Weegar’s. He is just playing more now so you can see it. Ek has also had a huge positive influence over him by giving him the confidence to do what he does. People thinking that Ekholm has magic powers that just transformed Bouchard into a good player are asenine

I have a feeling Hellebuyck is going to end up in LA

Reactions: Gordian Knot

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Guessing Broberg..
A veteran like Ceci would help Broberg as a partner.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Desharnais
Broberg-Ceci

Run with that and add a veteran at deadline.
You been watching these playoffs right? What you’re dumping Kulak? Lol really?

Reactions: Faelko

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kulak has been awesome but I get it, Broberg is kind of stuck behind those three LD and I don't think we want to develop him on his off side.
I really like Broberg, but he he might go as value added in a bigger deal in the offseason, imo.

Also, looking at the Jets, I make a big deal with them trying to get all of Hellebuyck, Wheeler and Pionk with Campbell, Foegele, Yamo, Ceci ++++ going the other way.

Because he's going to be a UFA, I bet (especially if the Jets are rebuilding) they might even eat on Wheeler and/or Hellebuyck.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I really like Broberg, but he he might go as value added in a bigger deal in the offseason, imo.

Also, looking at the Jets, I make a big deal with them trying to get all of Hellebuyck, Wheeler and Pionk with Campbell, Foegele, Yamo, Ceci ++++ going the other way.

Because he's going to be a UFA, I bet (especially if the Jets are rebuilding) they might even eat on Wheeler and/or Hellebuyck.
Don't want Wheeler but if we can turn Campbell into Hellebuyck I'm here for it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don't want Wheeler but if we can turn Campbell into Hellebuyck I'm here for it.
I don't mind Wheeler as a big, veteran RW who can spot center. Just improves the right side overall. Yeah, I could see it (if Jack waives) because then it give the Jets a veteran goalie for their rebuild.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You been watching these playoffs right? What you’re dumping Kulak? Lol really?
It's not dumping, it's to become cap compliant.
Same goes for Foegele and up front. The player is someone we need but will likely need to be swapped for a league minimum replacement (Janmark?)

We could always keep Kulak and Foegele and trade Bouchard and anyone else looking for a big raise. ;)

Something will have to give.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's not dumping, it's to become cap compliant.
Same goes for Foegele and up front. The player is someone we need but will likely need to be swapped for a league minimum replacement (Janmark?)

We could always keep Kulak and Foegele and trade Bouchard and anyone else looking for a big raise. ;)

Something will have to give.
Seems like you're being a bit over the top with this. Foegele, Yamo and Ceci are fine to go, Kulak is still to be determined and, until he signs a big long term deal, Bouchard is getting a bridge because it's literally the most effective choice for this team.

Reactions: MessierII

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Seems like you're being a bit over the top with this. Foegele, Yamo and Ceci are fine to go, Kulak is still to be determined and, until he signs a big long term deal, Bouchard is getting a bridge because it's literally the most effective choice for this team.
The post you quoted with lineup without Kulak was in response to pairing Broberg with a veteran.

If we are assuming Broberg would be in the lineup then we are either going with 4 LDs regularly or one of Ekholm or Kulak are not on the team. Kulak is great but not Ekholm great.

I actually value Kulak more than Broberg and would be fine if the Bro is traded for help elsewhere. If cap goes up to 88M+ then we can keep the roster as is

We have less than 8M of cap space to sign Bouchard + McLeod + Kostin + Bjugstad + Ryan+ Janmark

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't mind Wheeler as a big, veteran RW who can spot center. Just improves the right side overall. Yeah, I could see it (if Jack waives) because then it give the Jets a veteran goalie for their rebuild.

Isn't Wheeler a locker room cancer? Wasn't there talk about him and Scheifele super cliquey and shit behind the scenes?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The post you quoted with lineup without Kulak was in response to pairing Broberg with a veteran.

If we are assuming Broberg would be in the lineup then we are either going with 4 LDs regularly or one of Ekholm or Kulak are not on the team. Kulak is great but not Ekholm great.

I actually value Kulak more than Broberg and would be fine if the Bro is traded for help elsewhere. If cap goes up to 88M+ then we can keep the roster as is

We have less than 8M of cap space to sign Bouchard + McLeod + Kostin + Bjugstad + Ryan+ Janmark
Then I guess it's over? It will be fine

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
In what universe do you keep Kulak over Broberg? Kulak costs more, is older, has far lower upside, and needs to be heavily sheltered just like a young bottom pair dman. The Oilers are gonna be in cap hell next year especially if Bouchard keeps playing the way he does and the way contenders get around cap hell is to have cheap ELC/veteran minimum contracts that play well above their pay grade so the money can go to the big boys. Broberg fits that bill, Kulak does not.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
In what universe do you keep Kulak over Broberg? Kulak costs more, is older, has far lower upside, and needs to be heavily sheltered just like a young bottom pair dman. The Oilers are gonna be in cap hell next year especially if Bouchard keeps playing the way he does and the way contenders get around cap hell is to have cheap ELC/veteran minimum contracts that play well above their pay grade so the money can go to the big boys. Broberg fits that bill, Kulak does not.
Watch some playoff games sometimes starting with montreals run two years ago.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Watch some playoff games sometimes starting with montreals run two years ago.

It kinda doesn't matter because Holland isn't going to trade a Dman. That isn't his MO at all. He will trade a winger, very likely Yams or Foegele (or maybe even both) to make room for Bouchard's extension if need be. D affect the game 10x what a bottom six winger does, plus wingers can step in as young guys easier than on D. Finally, we actually have some wingers waiting in the wings (heh) whereas we don't on D. Holloway, Bourg, and Lavoie are all ready for a look in the bigs. Holloway is a lock for the team next year, and I would expect Lavoie (not being waivers protected anymore) will get a long look at camp and will likely break camp with the big team for a cup of coffee to see what we got. Bourg likely comes up as injury filler throughout the season. We have nothing like this on D in the prospects pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad