Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Playoffs Edition

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Oh wow. SMH. We will just never learn. This is the same mentality of those who just a few short months ago wanted to trade a d 1st and Bouchard + for Chychrun.

That would be a mistake within 14 months if not sooner.

Bouchard has shown more then broberg at basically every stage of his development to be honest.

I like Bro - but I just dont think he has the ceiling where we will regret it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Bouchard has shown more then broberg at basically every stage of his development to be honest.

Even if he doesn't become a top 4 staple, we still need cheap depth and a young player looking to establish himself would be a a choice we need to consider for the future, assuming cap becomes an issue. Trading him away at such a young age would be a shame unless it's a guaranteed upgrade. I would say keep him for now. He becomes a top pairing guy, great. If he doesn't, he at least shows some flash of contributing at lower pairs, for a good price.

Reactions: Oilhawks and LTIR

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh wow. SMH. We will just never learn. This is the same mentality of those who just a few short months ago wanted to trade a d 1st and Bouchard + for Chychrun.

That would be a mistake within 14 months if not sooner.
Broberg is a 7th d right now. Him being a legit top 4 dman within 14 months would be an astronomical jump

Reactions: MessierII

duul

Jun 21, 2010
As a former big time backer of Laurent Brossoit, seeing him .915 his way to a easy series win against Winnipeg is interesting.

We gave up on that guy way too quickly.

Reactions: Myride

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As a former big time backer of Laurent Brossoit, seeing him .915 his way to a easy series win against Winnipeg is interesting.

We gave up on that guy way too quickly.
giphy.gif

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we are keeping Kulak and Moving on from Ceci, I wonder if there is a deal out there for a 2nd pair young RD that we could include Broberg in?
Realistically what 'upgrades' on Cody Ceci are out there?

Don't like the idea of cashing the biggest trade chip and most impactful prospect in our farm system on what's likely a cosmetic upgrade.

I think Broberg has a future as an Oiler. His development falls in line with Ekholm's age. There's also absolutely no one behind him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Why is everyone so quick to move Ceci?

He's got a great contract for a #4D and would be hard to replace for that $$.

Thank you. Kulak as well. Nuts to trade them, especially that Bouchard will be pricey.

Keep the D intact w Broberg and VD as we don’t have much for D prospects and Woody loves the 11/7.

Yamo - goodbye.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't see a realistic path to trade Campbell in the offseason

With that being said, here are some mostly unrealistic possibilities:

- Winnipeg goes full rebuild. Trades pending UFAs Schiefele & Wheeler while we trade Campbell + + for Hellebuyck. Jets would plan to have a ton of capspace during the rebuild so his salary won't be prohibitive.

- San Jose in a deal for Karlsson. Karlsson will probably have to force a trade otherwise I don't really see the upside for the Sharks in trading him. At least they don't have a meaningful goalie signed long term.

- Chicago as a cap dump with + +. Only works if Chicago doesn't end up with Bedard or Fantilli for a sped up rebuild.

- Philadelphia in a deal for Hart. Philly decides to do a proper rebuild and hopefully Hart asks for a trade in the offseason as it clearly hasn't worked out there.

Hard to even imagine any other path besides a buyout which I still maintain would be worth doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
If we can move Nurse we would solve a lot of things cap wise. Ekholm is our no. 1. Kulak is playing really good atm and should be able to handle 2nd pairing until Broberg is ready to slide in there.

Paying 9+ for Nurse is just crazy. But guess it's unmovable. He likely has some NTC thingy going.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Bouchard was not much before Ekholm arrived. He really took off in the past couple of months. Broberg has great tools; at the very least, he's got potential to be much better defensively than Bouchard.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
If we can move Nurse we would solve a lot of things cap wise. Ekholm is our no. 1. Kulak is playing really good atm and should be able to handle 2nd pairing until Broberg is ready to slide in there.

Paying 9+ for Nurse is just crazy. But guess it's unmovable. He likely has some NTC thingy going.
Nurse contract is ours to live with. Unmovable. Campbell will be given another year to figure things out. I think they try and move Yamo. Gonna be tough to find a taker. I think they move Kulak to give a spot to Broberg, but I think Kulak has value and should bring back a light asset. Agree with others that we sign Conner Brown and likely another RW. I'd love to sign Sprong. Wanted him last year. Seattle likely resigns him though

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Full no-move until 2027. Not even worth a discussion I'm afraid.

Nurse contract is ours to live with. Unmovable. Campbell will be given another year to figure things out. I think they try and move Yamo. Gonna be tough to find a taker. I think they move Kulak to give a spot to Broberg, but I think Kulak has value and should bring back a light asset. Agree with others that we sign Conner Brown and likely another RW. I'd love to sign Sprong. Wanted him last year. Seattle likely resigns him though

Donato's a guy I brought up last offseason. Always seems to be able to score goals despite usually averaging around 12 minutes per game. Has done it for 3 teams already and doesn't command much $$

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
He has probably -3m a year value for the remainder of his contract. We're stuck with that

Donato's a guy I brought up last offseason. Always seems to be able to score goals despite usually averaging around 12 minutes per game. Has done it for 3 teams already and doesn't command much $$
Like the player. Think we need to be looking at right shooting forwards tho

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think we need to see how this team finishes before we talk of moving anyone.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
??? Desharnais in the top 4 is awful.
Bouchard on top pair and Broberg in top 6 is also awful for next playoffs but it's good enough to start the season and be near the top of the division until trade deadline.

You start with that and add at deadline if some of the guys just aren't ready for the role.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I question how easy it will be to move Yamo's contract.

I start off by looking at teams like the Jets and Flames. Both have a few strong rental options, that could be the same cap hit as Yamo with 50% retained.

Hellebuyck sounding pretty non-commital about staying in Winnipeg.

Would be pretty unreal if the Oilers could make cap room and find a way to acquire him for our window.
I'm just not interested in paying big assets for a 1 year rental. If Helly were willing to extend at a reasonable rate, I'm very interested.

Reactions: Duder54

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad