Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Playoffs Edition

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I’d be shocked if Foegele isn’t replaced by Holloway in the lineup next year. Not a knock on Foegele but it’s the reality of having to get Bouchard/McLeod and Kostin signed.

You‘d get Holloway and McLeod for the same cap hit as Foegele with likely money to spare.

Reactions: La Bamba

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
I’d be shocked if Foegele isn’t replaced by Holloway in the lineup next year. Not a knock on Foegele but it’s the reality of having to get Bouchard/McLeod and Kostin signed.

You‘d get Holloway and McLeod for the same cap hit as Foegele with likely money to spare.
Agree. I like Foegle alot but I think he will have to be moved. Hopefully we can find a dance partner.

Same with Yamamoto. Depending on who we want to re-sign, we may need to move him and give Lavoie a real shot in the top 6.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

Same with Broberg (or Nemo potentially) coming in for Kulak full-time. It's just the reality of the cap.

Run with this until the deadline and then spend the '24 1st and 2nd, Bourgault, and/or even Holloway for upgrades at RD and RW:

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Janmark ($1.5M/1 yr)-McLeod ($1.25M/1 yr)-Kostin ($1.5M/2 yrs)
Holloway-UFA C ($1M/1 yr)-Lavoie/Bourgault/Tullio/etc.
Malone

Ekholm-Bouchard ($5M/2 yrs)
Nurse-Ceci
Broberg-Vinny
Nemo

Skinner
Campbell

$300K in cap space with 20 skaters. The ideal deadline would see Ceci + Yamo + 1st '24 + Bourgault out for a RHD with term similar to the Ekholm deal, and then P. Kane signed to a pro-rated one year deal after taking the first half of the season off to recover from surgery:

E. Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-P. Kane
Janmark-McLeod-Kostin
Holloway-UFA-Lavoie/etc.
Malone

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-?
Broberg-Vinny
Nemo

Skinner
Campbell

It depends highly on who that RD is of course, but I don't think many teams can match that group in a best-of-seven.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Same with Broberg (or Nemo potentially) coming in for Kulak full-time. It's just the reality of the cap.

Run with this until the deadline and then spend the '24 1st and 2nd, Bourgault, and/or even Holloway for upgrades at RD and RW:

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Janmark ($1.5M/1 yr)-McLeod ($1.25M/1 yr)-Kostin ($1.5M/2 yrs)
Holloway-UFA C ($1M/1 yr)-Lavoie/Bourgault/Tullio/etc.
Malone

Ekholm-Bouchard ($5M/2 yrs)
Nurse-Ceci
Broberg-Vinny
Nemo

Skinner
Campbell

$300K in cap space with 20 skaters. The ideal deadline would see Ceci + Yamo + 1st '24 + Bourgault out for a RHD with term similar to the Ekholm deal, and then P. Kane signed to a pro-rated one year deal after taking the first half of the season off to recover from surgery:

E. Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-P. Kane
Janmark-McLeod-Kostin
Holloway-UFA-Lavoie/etc.
Malone

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-?
Broberg-Vinny
Nemo

Skinner
Campbell

It depends highly on who that RD is of course, but I don't think many teams can match that group in a best-of-seven.
I think Bjugstad is a great piece here.
I dont know about Kanes attribution. He maybe is physichal?
He aint scoring goals. So he could ba an add in a trade for caprelief i you must,

I think there is a need for another guy than Hyman at the moment with McDavid.

Kane McDavid Leon
Hyman Nuge Bjugstad
Fogele/Janmark mcLeod Kostin
Holloway Ryan Lavoie
new piece

Ekholm Bouch
Nurse Ceci until Holland has a new found, then Ceci is traded for an upgrade
Kulak VInny
Broberg - until Broberg is ready for a #5 role, wich will take more time.
Niemo as a 8th D.

I so wish NHL wasnt that superhard for rookies, that XB and Petrov could take a roosterspot.
Then Yamamoto and Fogele could be realesed - the only reason I realese Fogele is cap.
I think Oilers should keep him, he can score, he can playmake, he can check.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think Bjugstad is a great piece here.
I dont know about Kanes attribution. He maybe is physichal?
He aint scoring goals. So he could ba an add in a trade for caprelief i you must,

I think there is a need for another guy than Hyman at the moment with McDavid.

Kane McDavid Leon
Hyman Nuge Bjugstad
Fogele/Janmark mcLeod Kostin
Holloway Ryan Lavoie
new piece

Ekholm Bouch
Nurse Ceci until Holland has a new found, then Ceci is traded for an upgrade
Kulak VInny
Broberg - until Broberg is ready for a #5 role, wich will take more time.
Niemo as a 8th D.

I so wish NHL wasnt that superhard for rookies, that XB and Petrov could take a roosterspot.
Then Yamamoto and Fogele could be realesed - the only reason I realese Fogele is cap.
I think Oilers should keep him, he can score, he can playmake, he can check.
Kane scored 16 goals in 41 games. That's a 32 goal pace. He scored 3 in the 6 playoff games. For a guy who has struggled those are significant numbers. At just over $5M you won't come close to replacing what he brings to the table.

Reactions: Duke74

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Kane scored 16 goals in 41 games. That's a 32 goal pace. He scored 3 in the 6 playoff games. For a guy who has struggled those are significant numbers. At just over $5M you won't come close to replacing what he brings to the table.
True.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Neither player has any leverage. Kostin in particular. It would shock me if he did not agree to sign for $1M or less. McLeod's injury cost him a chance at a bigger raise. With relatively similar production Yamamoto got $1.175M. I think McLeod is looking at $1.2-1.4M.
I keep forgetting that Kostin is an RFA and without arb rights I believe so you might be right.

I feel like McLeod could get $1.5m or more because he took a discount on his last contract to help the team be cap compliant so there might be a little quid pro quo here and he plays like legit 3rd line minutes for them. I know the Oilers still have leverage but I'm having a hard time envisioning him getting under $1.5m unless it's another cheapish 1 year deal with the promise to give him more later but, yeah, 1.2-1.4m wouldn't shock me either.

Bjugstad is the real wild card. I feel like a team will offer him something like 2-3 years 2.2-2.5m in free agency which the Oilers simply can't match but maybe I'm overvaluing him and undervaluing the flat cap reality.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I keep forgetting that Kostin is an RFA and without arb rights believe so you might be right.

I feel like McLeod could get $1.5m or more because he took a discount on his last contract to help the team be cap compliant so there might be a little quid pro quo here and he plays like legit 3rd line minutes for them. I know the Oilers still have leverage but I'm having a hard time envisioning him getting under $1.5m unless it's another cheapish 1 year deal with the promise to give him more later.

I think they do $1.2-1.3M if the cap only climbs another million. McLeod doesn’t have a ton of leverage here, he is one of those players who looks like they are accomplishing a ton due to his size and skating but in reality he had under 25 points again.

Next year he can cash out if he breaks 30.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I keep forgetting that Kostin is an RFA and without arb rights I believe so you might be right.

I feel like McLeod could get $1.5m or more because he took a discount on his last contract to help the team be cap compliant so there might be a little quid pro quo here and he plays like legit 3rd line minutes for them. I know the Oilers still have leverage but I'm having a hard time envisioning him getting under $1.5m unless it's another cheapish 1 year deal with the promise to give him more later but, yeah, 1.2-1.4m wouldn't shock me either.

Bjugstad is the real wild card. I feel like a team will offer him something like 2-3 years 2.2-2.5m in free agency which the Oilers simply can't match but maybe I'm overvaluing him and undervaluing the flat cap reality.
Until we know next year's cap I doubt the Oilers would offer McLeod that much. If it only goes up to $83.5M with the bonus carry over every penny will count. The first priority will be getting Bouch's deal done. That will determine everyone else. But it is likely not going to happen before July 1 so I suspect that the Oilers will have a deal on the table for McLeod in the $1.2 range. He will take a risk by waiting because as others sign the pot gets even smaller.

$1.2M for McLeod is not really out of line for a guy who is right now a 3rd/4th line tweener.

MJ signing for $2M was interesting given what he did in Washington and in Minnesota. It shows that some players realize that until the cap opens up role players will have to take less to play where they want to play. Bjugstad has said all the right things and while that might not count for much at least it is something. He's had an up and down career. He fits very well in Edmonton and would have a hard time finding a better location for what he brings to the table. If he goes somewhere else an duplictes his last season in Minnesota or in Pittsburgh it could well be the end of the road for him. He might recognize that taking more now somewhere else might lead to less over the long haul.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Cambell will not be moved.
he will have another chance fighting for goalie starts with Skinner.

I think the only way Campbell goes is in a larger trade for Karlsson. That’s also the only way SJ will ever be able to move him to a contender he’d actually waive for without significant retention, which their ownership seems to want to avoid at all costs.

The Sharks can afford to wait two more years for Soup’s buyout to come down by approximately half because they will be knee-deep in a rebuild over that time. It’s the perfect solution for both sides.

But with Bouch breaking out, you have to ask if EK really helps the club as much as a player like, say, Parayko would. There’s only so much PP time to go around and the Sharks already demonstrated that having two elite PMDs who play the same side is a bad idea.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
not only that, he makes everyone on the ice tougher just by being there. this isnt a lucic situation where he does nothing else, he is scoring key goals and playing great defensively

Reactions: belair

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
not only that, he makes everyone on the ice tougher just by being there. this isnt a lucic situation where he does nothing else, he is scoring key goals and playing great defensively
I wouldnt say that he is playing 'great' defensively but I do agree that he is out performing his contract. He is clearly nursing an injury of some kind as well so if he can get healthy then I think that his production should go up.

Kane is an example of a player that took less so he could have a chance at winning. I see other players doing the same. Bujgstad comes to mind.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wouldnt say that he is playing 'great' defensively but I do agree that he is out performing his contract. He is clearly nursing an injury of some kind as well so if he can get healthy then I think that his production should go up.

Kane is an example of a player that took less so he could have a chance at winning. I see other players doing the same. Bujgstad comes to mind.
This why a deep run (at least WCF) is so important). Winning is something that attracts players. It also keeps internal salary demands somewhat under control. Losing to the King would have been a disaster.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This why a deep run (at least WCF) is so important). Winning is something that attracts players. It also keeps internal salary demands somewhat under control. Losing to the King would have been a disaster.
Couldnt agree more.
The interesting thing for me will be if this team wins the SC this season...will that influence where Connor decides to play when he becomes a UFA?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

You don’t want to make it the inmates are running the asylum, so to speak,” says Maloney.
Wonder if those inmates are saving the Flames from a lawsuit.

Sounds like he wasn't just a pain in the players asses. Could've been a matter of time before non-hockey players started to file labor grievances for hostile work environment.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Couldnt agree more.
The interesting thing for me will be if this team wins the SC this season...will that influence where Connor decides to play when he becomes a UFA?
The only way I see him leaving is if the team is not competitive. If they win he stays for sure would be my guess. I think he wants to win in Edmonton. He seems committed to the team and the city. He would be young enough that this commitment would probably be stronger than the desire to move on that sometimes happens to older players.

Wonder if those inmates are saving the Flames from a lawsuit.

Sounds like he wasn't just a pain in the players asses. Could've been a matter of time before non-hockey players started to file labor grievances for hostile work environment.
There are reports that Treliving left because he was not going to be allowed to fire Sutter.

Reactions: guymez

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Rumours are that Tkachuk's issue with the Flames had nothing to do with Calgary or Canada and more to do with Sutter. His Brother locking up for 8 with Ottawa seems to suggest this too. Wouldn't be surprised if Sutter factored into Lil Johnny jumping ship too. Hilarious that Sutter's existence costed the Flames 2 of the best forwards to ever play for them lol.

Reactions: McHelpus

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The only way I see him leaving is if the team is not competitive. If they win he stays for sure would be my guess. I think he wants to win in Edmonton. He seems committed to the team and the city. He would be young enough that this commitment would probably be stronger than the desire to move on that sometimes happens to older players.

Any lingering doubt will be gone once the Oilers sign Draisaitl.

And I tend to think Draisaitl will be inclined to sign the 8-year 14M+ he'll be offered right after the cap jumps by like 6-8M next summer.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Rumours are that Tkachuk's issue with the Flames had nothing to do with Calgary or Canada and more to do with Sutter. His Brother locking up for 8 with Ottawa seems to suggest this too. Wouldn't be surprised if Sutter factored into Lil Johnny jumping ship too. Hilarious that Sutter's existence costed the Flames 2 of the best forwards to ever play for them lol.
It was a rumor? I thought it was pretty obvious :laugh: He more or less confirmed it not long ago stating he was willing to sign a long term contract with Calgary back in 2020

Generally when a new hard-ass coach comes along and star players start jumping ship after career years, demanding trades and not even really considering resigning as FAs, it's probably the coach.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hate the Flames as much as anyone here but Sutter became a bigger POS to me after what he did to Pelletier. Kid brings his family to what should be his first NHL game and Sutter benches him. Then when he does play his first game with no family in the stands he makes some ignorant comments about the kid to the media. I think that was the point when the Flames players tuned him out.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Last season everyone's solution was to turn Foegele into thin air. Seemed so obvious to this entire fanbase, just not any of the NHL GMs up against the cap that chose to sign similar players in the offseason for half the caphit instead.

Looks like we're heading into another offseason of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00