Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Playoffs Edition

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kulak and Foegele OUT
Nemo+ Holloway IN

Would be a downgrade for sure but will save us good chunk of cap to extend Kostin/McLeod etc

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Marcus Johansson just signed for two years at $2M per. He put up 19 goals and 46 points in 80 games split between Washington and Minnesota.
Honestly not sure what to make out of it. On the surface that is a good value contract for that production, but I honestly don't know what kind player he's going to be. Had so many injury issues in his career.

Although Minny really needs some value contracts and it's not that crippling.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kulak and Foegele OUT
Nemo+ Holloway IN

Would be a downgrade for sure but will save us good chunk of cap to extend Kostin/McLeod etc
McLeod might cost a bit, but Kostin won't.

Plus that's too big of down grade to manage on the blueline, unless we're turning Ceci into Ekblad or something.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Honestly not sure what to make out of it. On the surface that is a good value contract for that production, but I honestly don't know what kind player he's going to be. Had so many injury issues in his career.

Although Minny really needs some value contracts and it's not that crippling.
I am hoping that it could help with someone like Bjugstad.

Reactions: joestevens29

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Plus that's too big of down grade to manage on the blueline, unless we're turning Ceci into Ekblad or something.
It would be bumping Broberg to #6 and Nemo to #7

Good enough for another 100pt season without upgrading on Ceci

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Going from Kulak to Broberg wouldn't be as significant as you think. You're 'downgrading' the bottom pair for the first 40 to 50 games of the regular season. Closer to the deadline you decide if it's necessary to insulate that bottom pair.

Kulak has been a good add and his strong play makes it likelier that we'll be able to move him to a good situation for positive value. But at $2.75m, he makes too much for the role. Before the Ekholm add he made more sense because the responsibility was much higher. Now he's the guy blocking our top prospect from seeing regular ice time.

There's a very good chance he gets moved in the summer.

If Niemo is any higher than 8th on our depth chart we have problems.
I have Nemo behind both Broberg and Dineen.

Reactions: fresh meat

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
The Oilers should target Alexis Lafrenière in a trade this offseason. His point totals are way down and his value is extremely low likely.

However, his underlying stats are pretty nice actually and he could be a decent depth option, plus still has a bit of upside left. Could be a Beniot Pouliot type of pick up

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Oilers should target Alexis Lafrenière in a trade this offseason. His point totals are way down and his value is extremely low likely.

However, his underlying stats are pretty nice actually and he could be a decent depth option, plus still has a bit of upside left. Could be a Beniot Pouliot type of pick up
I don't see the Rangers giving him up for anything other than an overpay.

The guy is still an NHLer and his contract shouldn't be very high. Contender still need cheap depth guys and I don't really see why you trade a 40 point 21 year old that still has room to develop.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kostin will probably be near league minimum for 1 year and Mcleod will be around 1.2 for 2 years is my guess.
There's no way they sign for that little. I'm seeing something like $3m total between the two of them depending on term.

I think the reality is that the Oilers can't bring back the same team even if they move one of the $3m contracts, some prospects are going to have to fill the vacated roles. That's just life in a flat cap world and when you're paying a player like Campbell $5m/yr.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Oof, that's rough. Though I wonder if you could buy low on him and maybe a different situation might help him.

Significant difference is that Yakupov's PPG was heavily influenced by that first season where he saw a ton of top line opportunity and a heavy focus on production offensively.

Lafreniere has been on the 'kid line' for the better part of three seasons there.

I don't see Lafreniere as a bust. I see him as a player who is learning to play an honest game. Kakko, too. You probably won't see elite numbers from either of them, so it's not a good look for guys that went 1, 2 in the draft. But for the Rangers it keeps them cheap and gives them a good stretch to develop chemistry.

There's no benefit to the Rangers dealing any of their young players unless it's an overpay.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Significant difference is that Yakupov's PPG was heavily influenced by that first season where he saw a ton of top line opportunity and a heavy focus on production offensively.

Lafreniere has been on the 'kid line' for the better part of three seasons there.

I don't see Lafreniere as a bust. I see him as a player who is learning to play an honest game. Kakko, too. You probably won't see elite numbers from either of them, so it's not a good look for guys that went 1, 2 in the draft. But for the Rangers it keeps them cheap and gives them a good stretch to develop chemistry.

There's no benefit to the Rangers dealing any of their young players unless it's an overpay.
Fair, but he also had horrendous playoffs. And the other kids are starting to put up numbers as well. Either way, something to look into if they're going to move on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd be open to taking a shot on Laf, the problem is the ask will probably be a premium for us because they don't want to deal him here only to watch him explode with McDavid or Draisaitl and then the narrative becomes "why'd the Rangers give up on this kid?". I mean maybe that's not the case, but I have to think it's kind of in the back of the GM's mind.

I guess the other issue is if he does take off here, not sure how our cap structure would allow us to retain him, but I suppose in that case you could move him elsewhere and get a bigger return than what you gave up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd be open to taking a shot on Laf, the problem is the ask will probably be a premium for us because they don't want to deal him here only to watch him explode with McDavid or Draisaitl and then the narrative becomes "why'd the Rangers give up on this kid?". I mean maybe that's not the case, but I have to think it's kind of in the back of the GM's mind.

I guess the other issue is if he does take off here, not sure how our cap structure would allow us to retain him, but I suppose in that case you could move him elsewhere and get a bigger return than what you gave up.
Montreal would be a ready built landing spot if the Oilers wanted to go that way.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There's no way they sign for that little. I'm seeing something like $3m total between the two of them depending on term.

I think the reality is that the Oilers can't bring back the same team even if they move one of the $3m contracts, some prospects are going to have to fill the vacated roles. That's just life in a flat cap world and when you're paying a player like Campbell $5m/yr.
Kostin has no arbitration rights and is our 12th forward. Mcleod is a young 4th line center. I'd be shocked if they get over 2.5 million combined.

I don't see the Rangers giving him up for anything other than an overpay.

The guy is still an NHLer and his contract shouldn't be very high. Contender still need cheap depth guys and I don't really see why you trade a 40 point 21 year old that still has room to develop.
Laf is another 30 point season away from being traded for a 3rd and ECHL contract player. Our left side is already full. We need some right shot players for next season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kostin has no arbitration rights and is our 12th forward. Mcleod is a young 4th line center. I'd be shocked if they get over 2.5 million combined.

Laf is another 30 point season away from being traded for a 3rd and ECHL contract player. Our left side is already full. We need some right shot players for next season.
He could very well be, but the risk is just too large to dump him for anything more than an overpay right now. They are in win now mode and unless they are getting good assets to win now for him, there is zero reason to deal him.

People thinking they'll get him for a 2nd or some sort of B prospect are kidding themselves.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Neither player has any leverage. Kostin in particular. It would shock me if he did not agree to sign for $1M or less. McLeod's injury cost him a chance at a bigger raise. With relatively similar production Yamamoto got $1.175M. I think McLeod is looking at $1.2-1.4M.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Neither player has any leverage. Kostin in particular. It would shock me if he did not agree to sign for $1M or less. McLeod's injury cost him a chance at a bigger raise. With relatively similar production Yamamoto got $1.175M. I think McLeod is looking at $1.2-1.4M.
I always assumed a long term contract for McLeod, but I bet he's on a bridge as well, one he'll likely to outperform, same as Bouchard.

And I still think Kostin will sign for 2yrs at between $875 & 950K per. If he has more good seasons, he'll get paid after that.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If Laf had the antics Yakupov had, he'd be seen in the same light as a bust. Daigle and Yakupov get all the hate because they weren't liked by most.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Fair, but he also had horrendous playoffs. And the other kids are starting to put up numbers as well. Either way, something to look into if they're going to move on.
It happens. I still see him playing a low event game that doesn't hurt the team. His production has slowly improved year to year and he's been given more responsibility as time has progressed.

If they're looking strictly at offensive production in that series, I think that they'd be far more concerned with their top forwards who were invisible for the most part.
Doubtful.

If anything, Lafreniere is an example of why the NHL probably shouldn't have messed with the lottery system to begin with. He went to a team that was already improving year over year and they were in a position to make the playoffs that year.

The top pick should go to the bad teams. It gives them the best opportunity to be an primary player, produce immediate offense and earn the most money. That didn't happen there.

I don't think the Rangers are terribly disappointed with how either of Kakko or Lafreniere have developed to this point. If either had hit elite status, odds are they'd have to move on from an impact player or two.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It happens. I still see him playing a low event game that doesn't hurt the team. His production has slowly improved year to year and he's been given more responsibility as time has progressed.

If they're looking strictly at offensive production in that series, I think that they'd be far more concerned with their top forwards who were invisible for the most part.

Doubtful.

If anything, Lafreniere is an example of why the NHL probably shouldn't have messed with the lottery system to begin with. He went to a team that was already improving year over year and they were in a position to make the playoffs that year.

The top pick should go to the bad teams. It gives them the best opportunity to be an primary player, produce immediate offense and earn the most money. That didn't happen there.

I don't think the Rangers are terribly disappointed with how either of Kakko or Lafreniere have developed to this point. If either had hit elite status, odds are they'd have to move on from an impact player or two.
I don't know that I blame the league as much as I would the Rangers. Didn't feel the need to send him back to junior after seeing him struggle?

This whole stigma about how if you send a top pick back to Junior or wherever that they aren't good needs to really end. Do teams not look at what happened with Leon and think geez if a 4 time one point player can go back why can't our guy?

Thankfully Owen Power took that decision out of the Sabres hands last year.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know that I blame the league as much as I would the Rangers. Didn't feel the need to send him back to junior after seeing him struggle?

This whole stigma about how if you send a top pick back to Junior or wherever that they aren't good needs to really end. Do teams not look at what happened with Leon and think geez if a 4 time one point player can go back why can't our guy?

Thankfully Owen Power took that decision out of the Sabres hands last year.
Tough to say. The Owen Power thing probably had more to do with COVID and the idea that he may not have felt that he got a true college experience.

Guys that go #1 generally are the most prepared in their respective class. And starting earlier basically means they get to that second contract earlier. And in a normal draft scenario, those players don't go to teams that already have Kreider and Panarin there blocking their path to primary minutes.

For the Rangers though? I think they love having these guys in their pocket. And sending Lafreniere back in year one just might've burned that bridge.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I always assumed a long term contract for McLeod, but I bet he's on a bridge as well, one he'll likely to outperform, same as Bouchard.

And I still think Kostin will sign for 2yrs at between $875 & 950K per. If he has more good seasons, he'll get paid after that.
Kostin will value a one way contract.

Reactions: Faelko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad