Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OE L Yes?

OEL, EL Yes or EL No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It’s kinda interesting to me how every exec/insider/whatever that Stauffer talked to agreed that OEL is a legit #1 but so many here seem to disagree. There’s some valid concerns about his contract but it’s crazy to me to think that he wouldn’t be a huge boost to the blue line. The questions around him remind me of what happened with O’Reilly in Buffalo, feels like if OEL moves the same will happen. Years of losing while playing for shit teams wears on a guy, we’ve seen it first hand here with guys excelling after leaving the Oil. I really hope Holland can get involved in OEL.

Hell, if OEL can make a consistent breakout pass from our zone, that's a huge improvement already. Once puck out of our zone and onto either McDavid or Drai's blade, usually good things happen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I didn't say that he was as good as Pronger, just that it was as rare an opportunity, and I used Pronger because it applies to our team, and the situations are similar because of changes in league finances.

Can you really justify to say that OEL got caved 5 on 5? To me it looks like he's defensively similar to Klef, but is just more skilled offensively.

If we're sending something like Klefbom/Nurse, a top prospect and a 1st the other way, it isn't a rare opportunity. That's a package that could get basically any defenseman of similar value that comes available.

OEL was statistically the second worst defenseman defensively on the Coyotes this year. In the two years prior to this one, he was statistically one of the worst defensemen in the entire league defensively. He's playing above his head as much as any defenseman on the Oilers is.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we're sending something like Klefbom/Nurse, a top prospect and a 1st the other way, it isn't a rare opportunity. That's a package that could get basically any defenseman of similar value that comes available.

OEL was statistically the second worst defenseman defensively on the Coyotes this year. In the two years prior to this one, he was statistically one of the worst defensemen in the entire league defensively. He's playing above his head as much as any defenseman on the Oilers is.
statistically what though, corsi and plus minus? I can agree that he's suffered there, but on dysfunctional teams, the go-to defenseman is often the one who suffers in those stats the most. I took notice of more when Edler was -39 next year (likely bad all around D stats this year) and then good stats the next. Hockey is very much a team sport, to the point where there is no such thing as a truly individual stat.

The thing that really shows that OEL was the go-to guy and true #1 in Arizona for all situations is TOI. You mentioned that other D on his team were better in ways, but then why did the coach keep going back to OEL? Why did he use him in the defensive zone more than other D, as well as offensively? I think perhaps your measures of what is elite are a bit off, or at least there is a nuance missing. I cannot accept that a coach just doesn't notice these things.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It’s kinda interesting to me how every exec/insider/whatever that Stauffer talked to agreed that OEL is a legit #1 but so many here seem to disagree. There’s some valid concerns about his contract but it’s crazy to me to think that he wouldn’t be a huge boost to the blue line. The questions around him remind me of what happened with O’Reilly in Buffalo, feels like if OEL moves the same will happen. Years of losing while playing for shit teams wears on a guy, we’ve seen it first hand here with guys excelling after leaving the Oil. I really hope Holland can get involved in OEL.
Hf Oilers are geniuses

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I want nothing to do with OEL, left shot dman is where we are strong at. I would do Ekblad as a right shot dman but what would the cost be for him.

I would also look at Laine, Nurse, Benning, 14th

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I initially had klefbom in another post but i think it'll be nurse

stauffer was talking about the oilers wanting to play klefbom less

Next year when arizona ask nurse would you like to resign and he'll more than likely say no, arizona can shop darnell nurse around the league with the ability to sign an extension( ie NYR or NJD)

Younger also

OEL Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Jones Bouchard

But also i could see klef

OEL Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Bouchard

Is good to
It’s not Nurse. Stauffer is pumping him part of the leadership group etc.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Holland would have to find a way to get Neal/Russell’s cap hit off the books. If he trades for OEL that signifies that he’s going for the cup in the next couple years, which I support as we need to do it soon. I believe OEL is a game changing Dman.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I want nothing to do with OEL, left shot dman is where we are strong at. I would do Ekblad as a right shot dman but what would the cost be for him.

I would also look at Laine, Nurse, Benning, 14th
These D just aren't available though, and I don't see an issue with adding to LHD as long as another LHD is going the other way.

I agree that Ekblad would be great but I doubt he's available. But we don't know. They have cash issues too, so maybe we should be wondering about him. I think he is brought down by his team a lot. I think he will be on that top tier with Hedman eventually, as he puts more healthy seasons together. He had bad concussion issues. Seems to be recovering. I'd be scared of that in the past, but Crosby had it worse and he won two cups since then.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Oilers could also be finishing bottom 3 if we took out Klefbom
Not sure if i buy that logic. OEL will be overpaid soon enough if he is indeed declining .
Lmaoo... Klefbom is only 2 years younger then Klefbom and way better. Klefbom has never got over 40 points. OEL usually consistently gets over 40 points other then last season season where played 66 games. OEL is way better. People on here are saying Klefbom is better lol wow

EDIT : switched older to younger

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

He was playing on statistically one of the worst teams... and he played the most minutes. How is that not common sense?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lmaoo... Klefbom is only 2 years older then Klefbom and way better. Klefbom has never got over 40 points. OEL usually consistently gets over 40 points other then last season season where played 66 games. OEL is way better. People on here are saying Klefbom is better lol wow
I get what your saying but this made me laugh. I agree OEL is far better than Klef.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He was playing on statistically one of the worst teams... and he played the most minutes. How is that not common sense?
it's also common sense he's contributing in a negative way to the horrible team
I don't care how bad the team is...no supposed #1 defenseman should be a -28 in a season

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I get what your saying but this made me laugh. I agree OEL is far better than Klef.
How did this make you laugh? Because I said Klefbom was older? My mistake OEL is older but way better than Klefbom.Klefbom hasn’t shown any progression into a top pair since his year where he scored 11 goals. He’s still been good but not gotten any better. Aside from the age, where am I wrong?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lmaoo... Klefbom is only 2 years older then Klefbom and way better. Klefbom has never got over 40 points. OEL usually consistently gets over 40 points other then last season season where played 66 games. OEL is way better. People on here are saying Klefbom is better lol wow

I like Klefbom but in a ‘down year’ for OEL he gets 30 points in 66 games (nearly 0.5 PPG). This being on a team where the highest points by a forward is 45. He would be an absolute lock to be a 50+ pt d man on this team. Salary has to move out (Klefbom or Nurse) and I’d like to see 1 million retained but even if he’s not a #1 he is at the very least a top pairing guy that can carry the mail and that is something this team desperately needs. Klefbom and Nurse are second pair guys (nothing wrong with that).

On top of all of that he will be a great mentor for Broberg and Bouchard which makes a trade for him even better.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
it's also common sense he's contributing in a negative way to the horrible team
I don't care how bad the team is...no supposed #1 defenseman should be a -28 in a season
Really? Put Klefbom there and let’s see how he does. Put OEL here and let’s see if he’s over -20 ever again.

Reactions: nabob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I like Klefbom but in a ‘down year’ for OEL he gets 30 points in 66 games (nearly 0.5 PPG). This being on a team where the highest points by a forward is 45. He would be an absolute lock to be a 50+ pt d man on this team. Salary has to move out (Klefbom or Nurse) and I’d like to see 1 million retained but even if he’s not a #1 he is at the very least a top pairing guy that can carry the mail and that is something this team desperately needs. Klefbom and Nurse are second pair guys (nothing wrong with that).

On top of all of that he will be a great mentor for Broberg and Bouchard which makes a trade for him even better.
It makes sense why Holland would want him. Tippett loves him and we have a top prospect Swedish Dman coming in

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
It makes sense why Holland would want him. Tippett loves him and we have a top prospect Swedish Dman coming in

Yeah, he’s not Doughty or Piet but he costs less than either (Piet might sign around the same but I see him signing with an American team) and the Oilers would be ‘buying low’ on a rare occasion (recently Maroon, Kassian, AA to varying degrees of success). They need to advantage of the covid situation, sounds like the Oilers will be one of 10 or so teams willing to spend to the cap.

I’d do something like this:

Klef/Nurse (whoever they prefer and whoever allows you to spend less other assets)
2021 1st (2020 if you absolutely have to but I would hate to part with it, maybe add a 3rd or Benning / AA if they have interest)
And here’s the tough part, one of the prospects who is not Broberg / Bouchard.

HugentNopkins

Oct 13, 2019
I honestly see no issue with acquiring OEL so long as we can manage the cap hit. We could always wait for the Coyotes to announce Chiarelli as GM to get the best value out of the deal :sarcasm:

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
how many #1 defenseman in the league go -72 in the last 4 seasons?

It’s a lot harder to not win a green jacket when your team can’t score goals.

Edler was horribly minus when his team sucked too. I think they’re about the same level of player (when Edler was younger).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lmaoo... Klefbom is only 2 years younger then Klefbom and way better. Klefbom has never got over 40 points. OEL usually consistently gets over 40 points other then last season season where played 66 games. OEL is way better. People on here are saying Klefbom is better lol wow

EDIT : switched older to younger

Edit: How can be younger than himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad