Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OE L Yes?

OEL, EL Yes or EL No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Klefbom + Russel + 2021 1st for OEL + Crouse + 2021 2nd pls and thx

If they can retain like 1m all the better

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It’s kinda interesting to me how every exec/insider/whatever that Stauffer talked to agreed that OEL is a legit #1 but so many here seem to disagree. There’s some valid concerns about his contract but it’s crazy to me to think that he wouldn’t be a huge boost to the blue line. The questions around him remind me of what happened with O’Reilly in Buffalo, feels like if OEL moves the same will happen. Years of losing while playing for shit teams wears on a guy, we’ve seen it first hand here with guys excelling after leaving the Oil. I really hope Holland can get involved in OEL.

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Edmonton

OEL

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2021

Elevate it further

Edmonton

OEL
Kuemper

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2020
Conditional 2022 2nd round pick

*Condition is if the oilers go to the Stanley cup finals in 2021 or 2022 then this pick becomes a 1st round pick

Reunites with tippet and playfair

Will cost us more cause were in the same division

Can then let broberg devolp while OEL, Klefbom and jones run the LHD

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Edmonton

OEL

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2021

Elevate it further

Edmonton

OEL
Kuemper

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2020

*Condition is if the oilers go to the Stanley cup finals in 2021 or 2022 then this pick becomes a 1st round pick

Nurse isn’t gonna be traded. Besides, they would want Klef anyway. He’s much better and cheaper along with being signed longer. Sub in Klef for Nurse and I’d do the first trade with Crouse coming back as well. The second trade isn’t enough for Kuemper.

Reactions: KYams17

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Nurse isn’t gonna be traded. Besides, they would want Klef anyway. He’s much better and cheaper along with being signed longer. Sub in Klef for Nurse and I’d do the first trade with Crouse coming back as well. The second trade isn’t enough for Kuemper.

I initially had klefbom in another post but i think it'll be nurse

stauffer was talking about the oilers wanting to play klefbom less

Next year when arizona ask nurse would you like to resign and he'll more than likely say no, arizona can shop darnell nurse around the league with the ability to sign an extension( ie NYR or NJD)

Younger also

OEL Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Jones Bouchard

But also i could see klef

OEL Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Bouchard

Is good to

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton

OEL

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2021

Elevate it further

Edmonton

OEL
Kuemper

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2020

Fair value. The trade seems risky but the bottom line is we do upgrade in 2 positions. We would still have to shed some salary somewhere else. I would almost be inclined to trade Klefbom rather than Nurse. And we are still weak at RH 1D, although I think OEL could elevate Larsson's play.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Fair value. The trade seems risky but the bottom line is we do upgrade in 2 positions. We would still have to shed some salary somewhere else. I would almost be inclined to trade Klefbom rather than Nurse. And we are still weak at RH 1D, although I think OEL could elevate Larsson's play.
The smartest play in that case would be to trade Larsson for a forward/picks and sign Demelo in FA. Demelo would be cheaper and is a good bit better as a complimentary shutdown d.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The smartest play in that case would be to trade Larsson for a forward/picks and sign Demelo in FA. Demelo would be cheaper and is a good bit better as a complimentary shutdown d.
It's too bad that TO is up against the cap. I'm sure there is a trade for Larsson to be had there but Kerfoot or Johnsson for Larsson has the Leafs eating more cap. I agree on Larsson, he is one dimensional and can be replaced by a solid defensive D man.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It’s kinda interesting to me how every exec/insider/whatever that Stauffer talked to agreed that OEL is a legit #1 but so many here seem to disagree. There’s some valid concerns about his contract but it’s crazy to me to think that he wouldn’t be a huge boost to the blue line. The questions around him remind me of what happened with O’Reilly in Buffalo, feels like if OEL moves the same will happen. Years of losing while playing for shit teams wears on a guy, we’ve seen it first hand here with guys excelling after leaving the Oil. I really hope Holland can get involved in OEL.

It appears that there are quite a few posters that clearly rely on analytics. And also not take into account that many of his analytics are a product of being on a bad team. As if we should be shocked to see things like 'breakout passes' and 'defensive zone exits' go up when playing with McDavid or Draisaitl. The decisions he makes are based on the team around him and it's pretty obvious a lot of that decision making will evolve with new teammates and coaching systems.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think change of scenery would help

Reuniting him with tippet and playfair who were with him when he was playing his best hockey will get him back to what he was
That's the issue people think he can bounce back or are hopeful he can bounce back, but what if he doesn't, or what if he continues sliding down. An $8.25M x 7 year deal is weighty, it is extremely weighty, if you screw it up you're not getting a do-over, you aren't getting a life line, that a huge commitment with long term implications.

Normally when you gamble or take a chance on someone who's falling short of expectations you aren't locked in to your mistake for 7 years, possibly more if a buy-out is required.

Is this a gamble we can afford to take? At the moment we are struggling to cobble together a competent top 6 and that's without an $8.25M d-man on the books, if he falls short and plays at lets say a 2nd pairing d-man level who's kind of good on the PP, but doesn't do much else can we still be competitive? Does this single decision have the potential to sink us and potentially ruin the McDavid era Oilers capacity to compete? Would McDavid even want to re-sign if we are trash?

IMO it looks like this decision by the Yotes is motivated by a desire to cut salary and there are some teams who could possibly fit him with no retention and I just don't think that is an option for us, we need the hedge of salary retention. Like if we got $2M retention on his deal and he failed to live up to expectations and we wanted to trade him again, we might not find any takers at what would be $6.25M for 6 more years, but if we offered to an additional $2M of salary retention for those 6 years there is a decent chance we could find a new taker and while it sucks to be sure it isn't anywhere near as crippling as it could've been.

North

Jun 25, 2009

A first for Matt Murray? Bleh ... no thanks.
And no thanks to another year of Mike Smith too.

If I had to choose one or the other though, it would be Mike Smith. Not giving up a first for Murray. Although I do think there are going to be several options available in the goalie market.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's the issue people think he can bounce back or are hopeful he can bounce back, but what if he doesn't, or what if he continues sliding down. An $8.25M x 7 year deal is weighty, it is extremely weighty, if you screw it up you're not getting a do-over, you aren't getting a life line, that a huge commitment with long term implications.

Normally when you gamble or take a chance on someone who's falling short of expectations you aren't locked in to your mistake for 7 years, possibly more if a buy-out is required.

Is this a gamble we can afford to take? At the moment we are struggling to cobble together a competent top 6 and that's without an $8.25M d-man on the books, if he falls short and plays at lets say a 2nd pairing d-man level who's kind of good on the PP, but doesn't do much else can we still be competitive? Does this single decision have the potential to sink us and potentially ruin the McDavid era Oilers capacity to compete? Would McDavid even want to re-sign if we are trash?

IMO it looks like this decision by the Yotes is motivated by a desire to cut salary and there are some teams who could possibly fit him with no retention and I just don't think that is an option for us, we need the hedge of salary retention. Like if we got $2M retention on his deal and he failed to live up to expectations and we wanted to trade him again, we might not find any takers at what would be $6.25M for 6 more years, but if we offered to an additional $2M of salary retention for those 6 years there is a decent chance we could find a new taker and while it sucks to be sure it isn't anywhere near as crippling as it could've been.
I agree. At $6.25M OEL makes a lot more sense. He is owed $54M in real dollars going forward and without draft picks, no real top end prospect and no cap space it is easy to think that the next 4 years in AZ are going to be survival mode. At 20% retention they basically pay his salary next year (2021-2022).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My guess is Samorukov is off the table for Holland. If he wasn't, the trade would be done already.

I'm guessing Holland is offering guys like Lagesson/Berglund/Niemo instead right now. Maybe a Kemp/Kesselring too.

My guess is he's offered something like:
  • One of Klef/Nurse
  • One of Lagesson/Berglund
  • One of Kemp/Kesselring
  • 1st round pick

for

• OEL with retention
  • Bottom 6 forward

Which Arizona doesn't like, of course. I think they're pressing for Nurse + Samorukov + 1st.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Will the Coyotes actually deal OEL this off-season? I get that there’s all this “insider buzz” that has him on the open market, but how does it actually make sense for the Coyotes? Unless I’m mistaken, bonuses were still paid out July 1st, weren’t they? Meaning the Yotes have already paid 1/2 his salary this year. Unless his bonus hasn’t been paid out yet, then I understand why they’d move him before that, but if it’s already been paid then it makes zero sense for them to trade him now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Will the Coyotes actually deal OEL this off-season? I get that there’s all this “insider buzz” that has him on the open market, but how does it actually make sense for the Coyotes? Unless I’m mistaken, bonuses were still paid out July 1st, weren’t they? Meaning the Yotes have already paid 1/2 his salary this year. Unless his bonus hasn’t been paid out yet, then I understand why they’d move him before that, but if it’s already been paid then it makes zero sense for them to trade him now.
Maybe, but they also know that every year his performance declines because he’s not engaged on a crappy team will affect his trade value.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

A first for Matt Murray? Bleh ... no thanks.
And no thanks to another year of Mike Smith too.

Jesus. Why is it that every team we talk to wants the moon in return? A 1st for Murray is a f***ing joke :help:

I swear a pact was made by all of the other GMs to f*** the Oilers over

Reactions: harpoon

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Considering OEL is literally twice the cost of Klef, I'm not sure we'd be adding a much on top. Especially when OEL hasn't really outperformed Klef over the last couple seasons.

He'd be a nice get (the idea of OEL and Bouchard as the go to OFD for the next half decade is a tempting thought), but I don't see how it's fesable without retention from ARI's side, and I don't see that happening...

Reactions: LTIR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad