Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OE L Yes?

OEL, EL Yes or EL No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton

OEL

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2021

Elevate it further

Edmonton

OEL
Kuemper

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2020
Conditional 2022 2nd round pick

*Condition is if the oilers go to the Stanley cup finals in 2021 or 2022 then this pick becomes a 1st round pick

Reunites with tippet and playfair

Will cost us more cause were in the same division

Can then let broberg devolp while OEL, Klefbom and jones run the LHD
Wtf...no.

Reactions: 29292929

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
Coyotes won't do either, not with Neal included. They are looking to drop salary and cap space, if we trade for OEL, we'll have to find somewhere else to lose cap space.

Edmonton

OEL

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2021

Elevate it further

Edmonton

OEL
Kuemper

Arizona

Nurse
Neal
Samarukov
1st round pick 2020
Conditional 2022 2nd round pick

*Condition is if the oilers go to the Stanley cup finals in 2021 or 2022 then this pick becomes a 1st round pick

Reunites with tippet and playfair

Will cost us more cause were in the same division

Can then let broberg devolp while OEL, Klefbom and jones run the LHD

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Coyotes won't do either, not with Neal included. They are looking to drop salary and cap space, if we trade for OEL, we'll have to find somewhere else to lose cap space.

I’m not sure how Arizona trades away that contract without taking salary back.

As far as I can tell, the difference between Ekman-Larsson’s contract and Neal’s contract, before a buyout, is 40.75 million dollars.

As decent as OEL is, that contract is frightening.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Considering OEL is literally twice the cost of Klef, I'm not sure we'd be adding a much on top. Especially when OEL hasn't really outperformed Klef over the last couple seasons.

He'd be a nice get (the idea of OEL and Bouchard as the go to OFD for the next half decade is a tempting thought), but I don't see how it's fesable without retention from ARI's side, and I don't see that happening...
Context does matter here. The Coyotes are a much more defense-first team than ours. OEL also does quite a bit better in even strength scoring, and of course Klefbom was stapled to a historically great PP, and we don't know if that will stay exactly the same. OEL was also not treated like a one dimensional offensive player. He was used more like a shutdown D than Klefbom was.

I think it's worth asking how much better OEL is than Klef, but he is definitely better. Also, sure Klefbom's 4 million is a great deal, but that's only for two more seasons. Then he gets 6. I'd say this offseason is the last one where we could trade him at full value. His great contract has some term to it, and he's fresh off an inflated season, points wise. Next offseason, he's a rental, and the PP likely comes down to earth a bit, or Klef doesn't play quite as much on it.

Oct 15, 2017
Arizona is just looking to save money

OEL For 14th and Russel + Jones

Drop about 4 million and then KR done after this year. Jones cheap I really.like him but you have to give to get, they might even want more but that contracts a killer. LHD is stacked. Lagesson makes better 7

If they could add and get Kuemper would be awesome. Or a great add would be Dvorak as 3c.

OEL would be best d by a large margin. And force everyone Into playing lower and getting more out of them. Also Having a good swede to guide Broberg for years .

OEL Larsson
Nurse Bear
Klefbom Bouchard
Lagesson

Reactions: McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Context does matter here. The Coyotes are a much more defense-first team than ours. OEL also does quite a bit better in even strength scoring, and of course Klefbom was stapled to a historically great PP, and we don't know if that will stay exactly the same. OEL was also not treated like a one dimensional offensive player. He was used more like a shutdown D than Klefbom was.

I think it's worth asking how much better OEL is than Klef, but he is definitely better. Also, sure Klefbom's 4 million is a great deal, but that's only for two more seasons. Then he gets 6. I'd say this offseason is the last one where we could trade him at full value. His great contract has some term to it, and he's fresh off an inflated season, points wise. Next offseason, he's a rental, and the PP likely comes down to earth a bit, or Klef doesn't play quite as much on it.

I hope you aren't implying Klefbom was treated like a one dimensional offensive player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope you aren't implying Klefbom was treated like a one dimensional offensive player.
definitely not, but he was closer to that than OEL was

But the point was that OEL is not like a Shattenkirk or Gostisbehere, where they only look great when they get that soft treatment. OEL is a well rounded, top pairing D all the way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Drop about 4 million and then KR done after this year. Jones cheap I really.like him but you have to give to get, they might even want more but that contracts a killer. LHD is stacked. Lagesson makes better 7

If they could add and get Kuemper would be awesome. Or a great add would be Dvorak as 3c.

OEL would be best d by a large margin. And force everyone Into playing lower and getting more out of them. Also Having a good swede to guide Broberg for years .

OEL Larsson
Nurse Bear
Klefbom Bouchard
Lagesson
And the what happens the following year? Cant add a quality winger and forced to walk away from RNH. Forced to protect 4 Dmen and lose a good forward.
If acquiring OEL we would need a much longer term salary going out. Russell or Larsson wont cut it

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

OEL Larsson
Nurse Bear
Klefbom Bouchard
Lagesson
paying Klefbom 4.16 million to play in the bottom pair is a recipe for disaster
if you're adding OEL's awful contract, they need cheap defenders like Jones in the bottom pair

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
OEL is still an elite Dman. Arizona would be finishing bottom 3 if it wasn’t for him.
Oilers could also be finishing bottom 3 if we took out Klefbom
Not sure if i buy that logic. OEL will be overpaid soon enough if he is indeed declining .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
definitely not, but he was closer to that than OEL was

But the point was that OEL is not like a Shattenkirk or Gostisbehere, where they only look great when they get that soft treatment. OEL is a well rounded, top pairing D all the way.

They had very similar usage this season.

Klefbom vs. OEL.

I'm also not sure how much of that usage is a plus for OEL. He played the least amount of time vs elite competition in his career this year and had the second worst results of his career doing it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's too bad that TO is up against the cap. I'm sure there is a trade for Larsson to be had there but Kerfoot or Johnsson for Larsson has the Leafs eating more cap. I agree on Larsson, he is one dimensional and can be replaced by a solid defensive D man.
Why would Edmonton want Kerfoot or Johnsson? Have you seen their contracts?

Reactions: Legion34

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They had very similar usage this season.

Klefbom vs. OEL.

I'm also not sure how much of that usage is a plus for OEL. He played the least amount of time vs elite competition in his career this year and had the second worst results of his career doing it.
they had similar usage but Klef had significantly more power play time and more offensive zone starts. And again, I didn't say Klef was used like an offensive D, just that he was used more like that than OEL, which might be surprising to some considering that OEL is known for his offensive skills. But, both him and Klef are sound defensive players.

Performance wise, that's very likely due to dysfunction on his team. And sure, there is some risk that he contributed to that, but that's just it. If everything were rosy and perfect there would be no hope in trying to land him.

The point is that we don't have any clear cut top pairing D, or even a prospect who is truly in that mold. So if OEL is available, it might be an impossibly rare moment like when we got Pronger.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

OEL Larsson
Nurse Bear
Klefbom Bouchard
Lagesson

If we brought in OEL, one of Nurse or Klefbom would need to go. Neither of these guys should be on a bottom pairing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
they had similar usage but Klef had significantly more power play time and more offensive zone starts. And again, I didn't say Klef was used like an offensive D, just that he was used more like that than OEL, which might be surprising to some considering that OEL is known for his offensive skills. But, both him and Klef are sound defensive players.

Performance wise, that's very likely due to dysfunction on his team. And sure, there is some risk that he contributed to that, but that's just it. If everything were rosy and perfect there would be no hope in trying to land him.

The point is that we don't have any clear cut top pairing D, or even a prospect who is truly in that mold. So if OEL is available, it might be an impossibly rare moment like when we got Pronger.

You can't really blame the team when Chychrun/Goligoski(who played basically the same amount against elite competition) had far better results against elite competition.

OEL is known for his offensive skills because he scores on the PP. He's average offensively at 5v5 and gets blown up defensively.

He isn't remotely close to the same tier Pronger was in.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I dunno about these OEL talks. His price tag is just waaaaay to high.

It seems more Oiler like to trade away Larrson + Russell in a package for a winger/tender
and signing Barrie.

I'm keeping my expectations low.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
What would you guys offer up for Laine,
I would do Nurse, Russell(cap reason) and first where they can draft another fwd.
Is that enough

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd pay $3.5M for Avalanche Kerfoot. Not so much Leafs Kerfoot.

It'll be interesting to see if he bounces back a little next season.
Even then, you're talking about a guy with a considerable amount of his production coming off of the powerplay. I think $3.5m is a lot for a Tyler Ennis-type forward who doesn't help the PK.

I'm not confident there's even a market for these kinds of tweener forwards signed to term.

I think that 3C role is the one that Holland really needs to improve next season. Finding a guy who can make an impact in all situations. Kerfoot isn't that guy IMO and he's pretty pricy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You can't really blame the team when Chychrun/Goligoski(who played basically the same amount against elite competition) had far better results against elite competition.

OEL is known for his offensive skills because he scores on the PP. He's average offensively at 5v5 and gets blown up defensively.

He isn't remotely close to the same tier Pronger was in.
I didn't say that he was as good as Pronger, just that it was as rare an opportunity, and I used Pronger because it applies to our team, and the situations are similar because of changes in league finances.

Can you really justify to say that OEL got caved 5 on 5? To me it looks like he's defensively similar to Klef, but is just more skilled offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad