Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: No News is Good News

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
We're not built to win in the short-term anyway.

Contracts that are hurting us
We are right up against the cap with contracts that are hurting us, Lucic $6m, Kassian $1.9m (disregard last game and refer to the larger sample size), Spooner $3.1m, Sekera $5.5m, Manning $2.25m. As much as I dislike Russell's contract, he is helping us now and we need him next year too.

Trade for Burakovsky
I'd much rather make smart acquisitions at the deadline, and get draft picks for what we have. For example, someone floated a Chiasson + Petrovic + 2019 3rd trade for Burakovsky. I'd be all over that. Chiasson is having a career year, but is much older, you can't count on him continually producing at this level (on a much pricier contract) imo. Burakovsky shows promise, is young enough to grow with the team, but not so young that he's 'green'. He's having a down year, so that trade seems likely... WSH would have to retain unless we made a prior deal.

Trade Talbot
I'd also trade Talbot with 30% retained for a 2nd. People have this idea that we can sign both Talbot & Koskinen to $3m next year and keep them as our goaltending tandem. It sounds nice, but I'm not convinced that's happening. I'm predicting Talbot tests the free agent market and that Koskinen gets a $3.5m deal.

I know a Talbot trade isn't happening, because Chia wants to make the playoffs and we're not quite out of that race.

Test drive Burakovsky
Either he shows promise and projects as a long-term fixture in our top-6 (may even fit in right away), or nothing rhymes and you can package him + the 2019 2nd we acquired from Talbot for something better, more proven.

Reasons for Optimism in our System
Meanwhile, we have Benson having a solid rookie season in the AHL (especially considering his injury history and lack of development in junior as a result), McLeod appears to be our 3C of the future with possible top-6 upside given his tools, Bouchard is... Bouchard, and we have Bear/Persson & possibly Berglund fighting for jobs next season. These are players I think could possibly help us in the near future, but not quite as early as next season. Bouchard is probably the exception.

Play it slow in 2019/20
In 2019/20, I'd refrain from any big moves. We'll have Kassian, Spooner, Benning, and Manning coming off the books at the end of that season. Depending on how well Bouchard or Jones are doing, we can also look at shipping out one of Russell or Sekera (I'd obviously like to clear both contracts but I think that is unlikely). That's $9.15m of cap opening up if you don't account for trading Russell or Sekera.

My conclusion

Our current season may be a wash... if we're still in the race when Klefbomb returns, we may very well make the playoffs. I think 2019/20 is also likely a grim season, just because we're so up against the cap with a lot of marginal players.

For 2020/21 however, we have at least $9.15m of cap space opening up. We have plenty of youngsters coming up, and by then YOU'D THINK at least one of Yamamoto OR Puljujarvi are producing like legitimate top-6 forwards. We have the potential to be very competitive from that season onward.
I agree with what you said here the only thing I would be ok with is trading for a proven top 6 producer signed long term as that would give us two scoring lines. But if we don’t stand pack.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Better not be a 1st+ for Ferland, but I fear it will be. Chia probably has a man crush on the guy because he's a PF and has 'grit' and 'heart' and 'character' (which I don't really dispute, but don't overpay for 3rd line talent).
Ferlander wants 5 mil on a long term contract don’t know if I would gamble on him.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I would love if we could get Zuccarello for a 2nd + a prospect. I would definitely not trade Puju or the 1st for rentals, so that would good, safe deal.
Zuccarello has maybe 2 gdecnt years left but he will want a 5 yr deal I would not trade a 2nd for a rental.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Man there are a lot of sheep on this site when it comes to bashing oilers. Eberg was a healthy scratch with the ducks and they ignore we kept Alex s over him. One spot two players. We can ffind 100000 things to bash the oilers about. But unless Aberg got top 3 minutes he was useless and don't ask him to play in his own zone.

But the sheep do not care about that. Of all the things we can bash the oilers aberg is not in the list.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Aren't we compliant now with petro on IR?

I think yam probably goes down after the game

Why wouldn’t we have sent Yamamoto down to begin with? Also we have Petrovic, Sekera and Klefbom all scheduled to be back before the trade deadline. Somethings gotta give. Even if Sekera doesn’t play this season we have to many bodies.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
No, but I liked that 3rd a lot better than Petrovic. A 4th and Wideman would have made that a better trade (for a bottom pairing D)

Either way, I can live with that one a lot more than the Manning trade which was pure trash. My largest issue wasn't the players.
Its the overpayment for the players that's unacceptable (you don't overpay for depth).

I completely agree. Very frustrating

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why wouldn’t we have sent Yamamoto down to begin with? Also we have Petrovic, Sekera and Klefbom all scheduled to be back before the trade deadline. Somethings gotta give. Even if Sekera doesn’t play this season we have to many bodies.

I figure they just wanted to give him a game for whatever reason since they really don't seem to care for rattie.

Hopefully something gives though. I worry about the oilers having a real plan though, they seem to fly by the seat of their pants

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Could you imagine this site if the oilers lost 12 in a row
upload_2019-1-16_23-42-32.jpeg

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Ducks are doing the same panic deck shuffling as Chiarelli.

Yeah it's pretty weird to watch. Instead of doing something major that could actually wake the team up, he shuffles fringe NHLers. Copying Chia's strategy for some reason.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This ANA deal doesn't seem like a move to accomplish anything really, I think it was just Vancouver calling around trying to get whatever for Del Zotto. Schenn will head to the AHL and both are going to UFA anyway. ANA I guess think they have a slight chance (veeery slight) of getting Del Zotto back on track and that's why they gave up a 7th rounder. IMO in a couple of months the only thing of value remaining will be the 7th round pick for Vancouver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad