Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Coach's hate him.
1uCYyjN.png

He also has gone from a shooting percentage of 5.9% to 14.9%, while playing with Getzlaf. And don’t get me wrong, he’s still been decent. His usual % would put him at 4-8-12, which isn’t a bad stat line for a guy you’re grabbing off waivers. But he’s still a small, weak, winger who gives up the puck a ton. He has 13 takeaways to 31 giveaways. Even guys like Drake and Spooner don’t have that bad of ratio. And Aberg has off ice issues as you mentioned.

space321

May 11, 2011
Same off-ice issues as Hall and Eberle lol amirite

as if trading Aberg is the solution to the Ducks problems, you guys are getting too ahead of yourselves.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Same off-ice issues as Hall and Eberle lol amirite

as if trading Aberg is the solution to the Ducks problems, you guys are getting too ahead of yourselves.

I don't know what off-ice issues he has but he dug himself a hole here when he was first traded to us.

He got a chance to be an NHL player and what does he do? Sleeps in and misses a team meeting.

Not a good impression to make for a guy that didn't have a guaranteed spot in the lineup.

I don't think McLellan ever really got over that and when he challenged the RWs during training camp and Aberg mailed it in, they washed their hands of him.

Now the Ducks have a lot more issues than Pontus Aberg but the speculation is that they are calling up Troy Terry and decided to take Kloos to replace Terry's AHL production.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Aberg seems like a guy who isn't skilled enough to buy into a coach's system while being able to produce at a rate good enough to keep him in the lineup. He needs to cheat offensively to produce at a passable rate. Caggiula was kind of like this, but he brought a gritty game that coaches eat up.

Both are what many call net negative players here. The goals come at a cost.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I really don't like this rumor of our 1st and a prospect for soon to be UFA Ferland talk. That sounds more like a team that's in a playoff spot kind of move. Oilers aren't in a playoff spot and can't continue playing .500 hockey and make the playoffs. We've been lucky the other teams around us have been struggling and that's the only reason we're still alive. That won't continue.

If Chiarelli has to make a trade and sends out this year's 1st rd, it has to be a 100% guaranteed successful trade. I don't care if Katz, management and Chiarelli are in desperation mode to make the playoffs. Can't just trade to make a trade and expect its going to work out. Chiarelli's track record on more important deals speaks for itself. And it scares the **** out of me.

Ferland has 10 points in his last 11 games, so he's on a hot streak. Is he worth a possible lottery ticket and one of our top prospects?

Remember, he's a UFA at season's end. And will be getting a heafty raise.

Can we afford him?

What do you guys think?

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
I really don't like this rumor of our 1st and a prospect for soon to be UFA Ferland talk. That sounds more like a team that's in a playoff spot kind of move. Oilers aren't in a playoff spot and can't continue playing .500 hockey and make the playoffs. We've been lucky the other teams around us have been struggling and that's the only reason we're still alive. That won't continue.

If Chiarelli has to make a trade and sends out this year's 1st rd, it has to be a 100% guaranteed successful trade. I don't care if Katz, management and Chiarelli are in desperation mode to make the playoffs. Can't just trade to make a trade and expect its going to work out. Chiarelli's track record on more important deals speaks for itself. And it scares the **** out of me.

Ferland has 10 points in his last 11 games, so he's on a hot streak. Is he worth a possible lottery ticket and one of our top prospects?

Can we afford him?

What do you guys think?
Sportsnet has him signing a Wilson like contract next year. No way we could afford that unless we are shipping looch to the canes

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Can we afford him?

What do you guys think?

A guy like Ferland isn't even worth a 1st in NHL 19 the video game, let alone in real life. Although with a bone head like Chiarelli at the helm who loves to trade for the loss, it would be par for the course.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Where is this Ferland for a 1st stuff coming from? He never came across as anything special when he was on the Flames IMO albeit I only used to watch the BOA's for the most part.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
3 organizations have had their fill of him. Something isn't right.

McLellan's words for Aberg were pretty damning in my opinion.

And its not even 3 teams where he didn't get a shot... He has played minutes with names like Forsberg, Johansen, McDavid, Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Rakell, and Silferberg. Thats 3 primetime shots that hes been given and soured people on. Big yikes.

space321

May 11, 2011
I don't know what off-ice issues he has but he dug himself a hole here when he was first traded to us.

He got a chance to be an NHL player and what does he do? Sleeps in and misses a team meeting.

Not a good impression to make for a guy that didn't have a guaranteed spot in the lineup.

I don't think McLellan ever really got over that and when he challenged the RWs during training camp and Aberg mailed it in, they washed their hands of him.

Now the Ducks have a lot more issues than Pontus Aberg but the speculation is that they are calling up Troy Terry and decided to take Kloos to replace Terry's AHL production.

Alright look, I don't know anything about Aberg to whether he has serious detrimental attitude problems or not. Just because a player might not be 100% upbeat positive angelic human being doesn't mean they can't succeed or contribute to wins. Just because Aberg missed a practice doesn't mean he wouldn't immediately make our miserable group of wingers better. But whatever, Aberg is not important.

However, I just don't get why fans feel the need to act like they're a fly on the wall in the locker room. They jump on players for having shitty attitudes the second they're traded away, despite nothing but rumors. Case in point: Jultz, Hall, Eberle, and lately Caggiula. Players and coaches don't always mesh, but that doesn't mean that a player is always in the wrong. Sometimes the coach needs to adapt, but doesn't, so the player gets traded. I can garuantee you that the minute we trade RNH or Puljujarvi or whoever, there will be a narrative spun that they didn't have good attitudes or some bullshit. I mean, we supposedly traded away all of our cancer, and look at where we are? What's all of our character guys doing [Mod] for 40+ games?

This isn't just limited to Oiler fans but pretty much every fan base and it's just really annoying to read every time there's a freaking trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

They can ask all they want, doesn't mean that they'll get it. The facts that we have our 1st available, have one of if not the worst management in the league and are 1 or 2 injuries from taking a run at DFL should have other teams ringing our phones off the hook. For these reasons alone we should be able to get a decent player back for the 1st unless we go full Pejorative Slur again.

Reactions: Hopelesslucicfan

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I don't doubt someone will trade a 1st round pick for him. He's a 20+ goal scoring rental and brings other elements to the game as well.

He should not be a consideration for a bubble team such as the Oilers, but good idea for contenders needing wing scoring potential.

We have definitely seen 1st round picks dealt for worse players over the years by contenders.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
They can ask all they want, doesn't mean that they'll get it. The facts that we have our 1st available, have one of if not the worst management in the league and are 1 or 2 injuries from taking a run at DFL should have other teams ringing our phones off the hook. For these reasons alone we should be able to get a decent player back for the 1st unless we go full ****** again.

Not only that, but there’s a big difference between our first, and the type of 1st they might be able to get (probably in the 25-31 range)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't doubt someone will trade a 1st round pick for him. He's a 20+ goal scoring rental and brings other elements to the game as well.

He should not be a consideration for a bubble team such as the Oilers, but good idea for contenders needing wing scoring potential.

We have definitely seen 1st round picks dealt for worse players over the years by contenders.

If we deal our 1st for a rental it would be worse than the Reinhart trade IMO. At least in that trade some of the dim bulbs in management thought that he had room to grow as a player and he was a RFA for many more years. This player could literaly play 1 shift for us, get hurt for the rest of the season and walk at seasons end.

Not only that, but there’s a big difference between our first, and the type of 1st they might be able to get (probably in the 25-31 range)

Bingo. This is why if I'm an opposing GM I'd want our pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad