Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | LAK Claim Troy Grosenick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Better off trading for Bennett. He's played with McDavid for a long time before juniors. Virtanen played with McDavid in WJCs and they didn't have chemisty

No chance Calgary would give him to us, Bennett is maybe someone to look at down the road if it doesn't work out with him and his next team.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I actually think MTL is going to struggle to make the playoffs with their depth at center. A hot start with no preseason happens but the loss against OTT is part of them coming back down to earth. Price is not great again and I hope we see him tomorrow. They have their next 4 games against us and the Leaf and could easily be outside the playoffs after that. We will see what they are soon.

As for RNH....unless he sign for under $7 then I'd seriously consider dealing him for Miller this year if VAN was up for it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I wouldn't bet the farm on Montreal having a stretch like that. They loaded up a lot in a short order and the goaltending is solid.
I’m even saying they will I’m just saying that a hot start doesn’t mean as much this year because every game is divisional. You have actually sustain good play throughout the entire year.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Broberg is a maybe? I know we need to win now but why not wait until next year when we can sign Billington , Grubauer, or Ullmark without giving up anything. Major salary dropping off our cap next year where many will not be able to do so.
He’s as much of a maybe as any prospect that hasn’t played an NHL game yet. I’ve been burnt so many times with prospects that I reserve judgment until they actually play in the NHL.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Isn't next year's draft suppose to be much better than this years?? Plis there is a whole lot of uncertainty here due to teh pandemic. I guess you could argue that that might be a good thing if you think you could get lucky and get a guy later in the draft than you might otherwise. But it also increases the chances that you miss on the pick.

Again you may be right on next years draft . I am thinking more of this draft being so open with no games . So someone that should go top ten could drop with no games . It’s a gamble . I also think with the cap space we will have while we are still in a flat cap could really set us up for the future.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
f*** Hall returning to the team . We need guys that play like Holloway . That energy will become Contagious . Hall is not needed . Spend the money on D and a goalie

Agree that the Hall ship has sailed and we have enough guys who demand the puck already. Bringing him back probably creates more problems than it solves. You could make the case that JP and Yamo are great complementary wingers going forward, Holloway is on the way at LW, and then we only need one more forechecking whirling dervish like Yamo on LW for the McDavid line. Kahun generally seems like that type of player and I'd like to see him with McDavid and JP soon.

There is only so much puck and you need a complementary guy on each line to do some of the dirty work forechecking and along the boards. At this point McDavid's line would be better served with Kahun as he's to similar to Yamo on L2 with Drai. RNH is better served as the other puck carrier with Drai instead of being with JP and Mcdavid. Seems obvious now but you had to see how JP and Kahun fit in. Now is the time to switch things up on the top lines LW.

I'd be tempted to get some assets for RNH if he wants more than $7 million. Miller works for me and a guy like Pageau would fill the important 3C hole for years at less cap than RNH and would not b*tch about the role. Then we could have JJ and Haas at 4C depending on whether we needed size or speed.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is RNH even that much of a puck carrier in the O-zone? He's more of a puck distributor and has a tendency to do little things to sustain cycles and extend zone time. He's very complimentary to the breakout and has a tendency to slow the game down when the puck is on his stick.

I think this is why fans call him 'sleepy' or 'zombie' when the puck isn't going in the net for him.

Offensively he's pretty streaky when it comes to scoring goals, but I'm not ready to pull the plug on him when his shot volume is in the stratosphere right now. Once the puck starts going in for him, the goal differential of the top line is going to improve significantly.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I actually think MTL is going to struggle to make the playoffs with their depth at center. A hot start with no preseason happens but the loss against OTT is part of them coming back down to earth. Price is not great again and I hope we see him tomorrow. They have their next 4 games against us and the Leaf and could easily be outside the playoffs after that. We will see what they are soon.

As for RNH....unless he sign for under $7 then I'd seriously consider dealing him for Miller this year if VAN was up for it.

In a shortened season a Hot start is huge.

We all know Ottawa is out, giving each team a 2/3 shot at making the playoffs. Vancouver is also unlikely.

Montreal has the best D in the division, and arguably still the best G. They have solid depth, just not anyone elite at C.

I can't see them being the the 3rd team to miss at this point.

It's between us, Calgary and Winnipeg for the last 2 playoff spots.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
f*** Hall returning to the team . We need guys that play like Holloway . That energy will become Contagious . Hall is not needed . Spend the money on D and a goalie
People still clamoring for Hall are just nostalgic. He’s not the player he was when he won MVP anymore but he’s going to get paid with term over 7M. If your signing anyone for that money RNH is likely to age better.

With Halls injury history and play style I will be shocked to see him over 60 points in 3 years. I will laugh so hard if Buffalo has Skinner for another 7 years at 9M, and gives Hall over 8M for another 7-8.

IMO this past offseason showed Hall that with the flat cap, and his play, no one is willing to give him big $ on long term. He can say he just wants to win all he wants but he wants to get paid too.

I’ll take Kahun, or another similar player, every year on a 1 year deal under a million then be paying Hall 7-9M on a long term deal.

As far as needs, the Oilers should be on a full out press to acquire a goalie.

I doubt ANA entertains a Gibson trade, still young on a great long term contract, but I would be offering the first plus any prospect and whatever else they want to make that deal. Bringing a goalie like that makes this team an instant contender

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Yup! And all this trade RNH talk can gtfo as well imo. We lose him and people will learn real quick the hole he’ll leave behind.

If this team should ever lift a cup Connor better take it from Bettman and hand it straight to Nuge!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
People still clamoring for Hall are just nostalgic. He’s not the player he was when he won MVP anymore but he’s going to get paid with term over 7M. If your signing anyone for that money RNH is likely to age better.

With Halls injury history and play style I will be shocked to see him over 60 points in 3 years. I will laugh so hard if Buffalo has Skinner for another 7 years at 9M, and gives Hall over 8M for another 7-8.

IMO this past offseason showed Hall that with the flat cap, and his play, no one is willing to give him big $ on long term. He can say he just wants to win all he wants but he wants to get paid too.

I’ll take Kahun, or another similar player, every year on a 1 year deal under a million then be paying Hall 7-9M on a long term deal.

As far as needs, the Oilers should be on a full out press to acquire a goalie.

I doubt ANA entertains a Gibson trade, still young on a great long term contract, but I would be offering the first plus any prospect and whatever else they want to make that deal. Bringing a goalie like that makes this team an instant contender

Going after a goalie is not in any way mutually exclusive to improving the roster in other ways. It is not get a goalie OR sign a player like Hall/Nuge. There's no reason it can't be both.

Also, good luck getting the Ducks to trade their young top 5 goalie to a division rival. There is zero reason for them to trade him. There is plenty of reasons not to trade him to Edmonton.

Reactions: Smartguy

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Nuge, Kahun, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi should be the top 4 wingers on this team for a long time. Some size on the 3rd line will be helpful but that's a good core of young capable two way scorers. This team needs a #1G, a 3C, and a 1/2LD. If I'm Holland the only thing I don't see an internal option for is 1G. Klefbom, Jones, Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov should be able to fill the current gap on the D. With so many young D the Oilers are going to be better off dealing with some hiccups on the back end as players grow or they'll be bleeding good young talent and soon. Jones is getting some tough love right now but will likely be better for it in the long term. Holloway, McLeod, Haas present some hope for 3C but a two way veteran with some offense would certainly help this team a ton.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuge, Kahun, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi should be the top 4 wingers on this team for a long time. Some size on the 3rd line will be helpful but that's a good core of young capable two way scorers. This team needs a #1G, a 3C, and a 1/2LD. If I'm Holland the only thing I don't see an internal option for is 1G. Klefbom, Jones, Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov should be able to fill the current gap on the D. With so many young D the Oilers are going to be better off dealing with some hiccups on the back end as players grow or they'll be bleeding good young talent and soon. Jones is getting some tough love right now but will likely be better for it in the long term. Holloway, McLeod, Haas present some hope for 3C but a two way veteran with some offense would certainly help this team a ton.
Yeah I think this summer we need a goalie and a stop gap left D assuming Klef is finished. A 3C would be nice as well albeit I think Turris has to bounce back somewhat.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Broberg is a maybe? I know we need to win now but why not wait until next year when we can sign Billington , Grubauer, or Ullmark without giving up anything. Major salary dropping off our cap next year where many will not be able to do so.
Why do we have to win now? I don’t buy that at all

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup! And all this trade RNH talk can gtfo as well imo. We lose him and people will learn real quick the hole he’ll leave behind.

If this team should ever lift a cup Connor better take it from Bettman and hand it straight to Nuge!

Dude needs to stop playing like a weak 16 year old 5 on 5 then. His ES production with McDavid this year has been really bad. Not good enough.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not sure about Nuge and Kahun being here for a long time part.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Buying out neal doesn’t open up 6 million. Dumping Neal with nothing coming back doesn’t even open up 6 million.
The buyout cost is 1.916 M. Pouliot's 1.33 M buyout cap comes off the book's this season and Sekera's buyout cap goes down by 1 M.

2.33 M - 1.916 M = +414 k opened up

5.75 M + 414 K = 6.164 M

Neal's buyout plus the other buyout penalties actually opens up nearly 6.2 M.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It wouldn't just be tough ... it would be stupid. 'Nuge' doesn't deserve a raise - he should be traded, and Hall's time on the Oilers is over - and they shouldn't being him back. Move on people!

Someone suggested 7 x 8M ... pffft!, no thank you. Let the (F)lames sign Hall for a contract like that. Maybe they would give him more - the more the better. Given the (F)lames habit of poaching players the Oilers are after, maybe the organization should feign interest in signing Hall.

There are more important holes to fill on this team. Put the $ towards a #1 Goalie and #1 Defenseman (if possible), and find a gritty sniper for Nugent-Hopkins' spot on McDavid's line.
ThANK YOU

NO HALL

Fall for hall is what started this culture of losing.

Reactions: Aerchon

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The buyout cost is 1.916 M. Pouliot's 1.33 M buyout cap comes off the book's this season and Sekera's buyout cap goes down by 1 M.

2.33 M - 1.916 M = +414 k opened up

5.75 M + 414 K = 6.164 M

Neal's buyout plus the other buyout penalties actually opens up nearly 6.2 M.
Ok but the other stuff has nothing to do with Neals buyout.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Is RNH even that much of a puck carrier in the O-zone? He's more of a puck distributor and has a tendency to do little things to sustain cycles and extend zone time. He's very complimentary to the breakout and has a tendency to slow the game down when the puck is on his stick.

I think this is why fans call him 'sleepy' or 'zombie' when the puck isn't going in the net for him.

Offensively he's pretty streaky when it comes to scoring goals, but I'm not ready to pull the plug on him when his shot volume is in the stratosphere right now. Once the puck starts going in for him, the goal differential of the top line is going to improve significantly.
He was very good on the PK last game as well. I don't look at him as some guy to just chuck away. He can be important, but for the rumored $ he wants, is it worth it? If the cap was going up and we were not in a pandemic, I would be like ya, give him a small raise. I personally do not think he deserve a penny of a raise for what he brings. Plays all of these minutes alongside McDavid and cannot produce anything at evens or show up if thy don't.

Look at that stat. No wins without a McDrai point for years lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Amen. It boggles my mind that people are looking to spend all the money on top 6 players while ignoring the real needs of the team which btw, is #3C in addition to defense and goalie. Hall would be a luxury add, the Oilers aren't good enough to spend a chunk of cap space on a luxury player. If RNH walks then maybe Hall could be an option but hell no to BOTH RNH and Hall.

The Oilers have developing young top 6 wingers, they have a guy like Kahun who can keep up (for real cheap btw), they don't need to spend $6-$7M on another winger.
The top 6 is not the problem with this team, just about everywhere else is. Holland needs to focus on improving those areas.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He was very good on the PK last game as well. I don't look at him as some guy to just chuck away. He can be important, but for the rumored $ he wants, is it worth it? If the cap was going up and we were not in a pandemic, I would be like ya, give him a small raise. I personally do not think he deserve a penny of a raise for what he brings. Plays all of these minutes alongside McDavid and cannot produce anything at evens or show up if thy don't.

Look at that stat. No wins without a McDrai point for years lol.
Anything up to $8m would fall under the definition of 'small raise' in my books. Obviously it's not going to take that much, but the people clamoring over a few hundred grand aren't being realistic about how well our team manages it's cap flexibility when doing into the free agent market or how infrequently this team manages to procure talents of RNH's calibre.

The idea of signing Hall makes absolutely no sense to me. In all honesty, targeting Hamilton is odd as well. The Oilers need to improve when the big two aren't on the ice. You don't do that by flip-flopping your scoring wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad