Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | LAK Claim Troy Grosenick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2013
It would be tough unless nuge doesn't take a raise and hall settles for 7.

It wouldn't just be tough ... it would be stupid. 'Nuge' doesn't deserve a raise - he should be traded, and Hall's time on the Oilers is over - and they shouldn't being him back. Move on people!

Someone suggested 7 x 8M ... pffft!, no thank you. Let the (F)lames sign Hall for a contract like that. Maybe they would give him more - the more the better. Given the (F)lames habit of poaching players the Oilers are after, maybe the organization should feign interest in signing Hall.

There are more important holes to fill on this team. Put the $ towards a #1 Goalie and #1 Defenseman (if possible), and find a gritty sniper for Nugent-Hopkins' spot on McDavid's line.

Reactions: McSuper

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This reminds me of all those that were willing to trade for Karlson and were willing to give up Drai and Nurse. Unreal. May enjoy the benefits of this for 2-3 years but would regret it for 20 years after that.
This team is going nowhere without a goalie. Gibson is young and extremely talented. Giving up 3 “maybes” for a starting goaltender seems like a no-brainer to me, this team needs to improve now, I don’t care about 5-10 years down the road.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Saw in on the main boards, but I would entertain a Virtanen for Larsson swap. Only when Bear returns and Lagesson/ Bouchard continues to improve.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Saw in on the main boards, but I would entertain a Virtanen for Larsson swap. Only when Bear returns and Lagesson/ Bouchard continues to improve.
Rather get picks for Larsson and RNH if they ever get traded. Picks are better currency for a top 4 D/goalie to a rebuilding team than Virtanen

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty sure Gibson will still be good in 2-3 years, he's only 27 years old. And I doubt Broberg is the Draisaitl of defencemen (would love to be proven wrong on that though).
My point is the overestimation of Karlsson and now Gibson. Gibson is good but look at how incredible people thought Fleury and Murray were. Would you give up that for any one of them? 904 save percentage is not worth what they are asking. Insane. I agree Broberg is not Draisaitl but he is a major part of our defence for the next 15 years. I know people will mock me for this but in 4 years there is no way anyone would trade Holloway for Gibson.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
This team is going nowhere without a goalie. Gibson is young and extremely talented. Giving up 3 “maybes” for a starting goaltender seems like a no-brainer to me, this team needs to improve now, I don’t care about 5-10 years down the road.
Broberg is a maybe? I know we need to win now but why not wait until next year when we can sign Billington , Grubauer, or Ullmark without giving up anything. Major salary dropping off our cap next year where many will not be able to do so.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Problem with that is Winnipeg had an off-year last season, so that really helped open the conference up a lot. If they're not going to fade away it makes the Canadian division much, much harder.

Montreal is also a lot better than last year. Calgary has Markstrom so he probably keeps them above water all year too.

While this division may not have the same number of elite teams (Colorado, Vegas), it has fewer bad teams, think that makes it harder for the Oilers.

In the old division setup to make the playoffs the Oilers only had to be better than Vancouver/Arizona/Minnesota most likely.

In this setup they have to be better than Calgary or Winnipeg or Montreal. Think that's a harder setup.

Canadian division looked easier if the assumption was that Winnipeg and Montreal were content to be non-playoff teams as they were last year, but that doesn't look to be the case.
We don’t know what’s what yet. All Winnipeg has done is beat Calgary a bunch of times and beat Ottawa a bunch of times. They’re 1-3 vs every other team so far. We basically gifted them that one win the 3rd period breakdown should’ve been our game. It’s all about team matchups this year. Montreal has dominated vancouver with Toffoli getting 8 goals already just against van. Stuff like that isn’t going to hold up as every team plays every team more.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My point is the overestimation of Karlsson and now Gibson. Gibson is good but look at how incredible people thought Fleury and Murray were. Would you give up that for any one of them? 904 save percentage is not worth what they are asking. Insane. I agree Broberg is not Draisaitl but he is a major part of our defence for the next 15 years. I know people will mock me for this but in 4 years there is no way anyone would trade Holloway for Gibson.

Gibson's save percentage is back to .918 again this year.

Goaltending is underrated as a position, as good as McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot being really good in 16-17 was as responsible for getting them into the 2nd round of the playoffs. Gibson is better than that version of Talbot.

As good as Pronger was, the Oilers were flirting with missing the playoffs until Roloson changed that, and he's the main reason they beat Detroit in round 1, they would have been an easy out otherwise.

Reactions: lakai17

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Now that I think of it, it's probably cheaper to pry both Kuemper and Raata out of Arizona than trading for Gibson. That's a 1A and 1B tandem that can compete with the best of them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We don’t know what’s what yet. All Winnipeg has done is beat Calgary a bunch of times and beat Ottawa a bunch of times. They’re 1-3 vs every other team so far. We basically gifted them that one win the 3rd period breakdown should’ve been our game. It’s all about team matchups this year. Montreal has dominated vancouver with Toffoli getting 8 goals already just against van. Stuff like that isn’t going to hold up as every team plays every team more.

We'll see but the good starts Montreal and Winnipeg have had count for more this year too because it's a shorter season, it gives them a large cushion. Neither looks to me like they have any interest in cooperating and being an easy out, they both look hungry for a playoff berth and have the goaltending to hold them in.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Gibson's save percentage is back to .918 again this year.

Goaltending is underrated as a position, as good as McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot being really good in 16-17 was as responsible for getting them into the 2nd round of the playoffs. Gibson is better than that version of Talbot.

As good as Pronger was, the Oilers were flirting with missing the playoffs until Roloson changed that, and he's the main reason they beat Detroit in round 1, they would have been an easy out otherwise.
It helps that McDavid and Drai were still on their ELCs in 2016-17. The current Oilers would be a much better team if McDavid Drai were on their ELCs.

Reactions: lakai17

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That doesn't change that Talbot was low key the team MVP in 16-17. He won them a lot of games were the team was limp.
He was good that year until Schwartz stink got a hold of him.

Looks like he's back to playing good again. Rocking a .920%

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We'll see but the good starts Montreal and Winnipeg have had count for more this year too because it's a shorter season, it gives them a large cushion. Neither looks to me like they have any interest in cooperating and being an easy out, they both look hungry for a playoff berth and have the goaltending to hold them in.
It’s a shorter season for sure but every game is divisional so whether your hot at the start or hot at the end it all counts the exact same. Your only playing teams your in direct competition with. If Montreal goes through a scoring slump and goes 0-6-2 during some random 8 game stretch this year than their hot start is erased just like that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ignoring the nonsensical repetitive arguments about Larsson, where would Virtanen even fit on the roster? This team doesn't need more lackadaisical forwards that require scoring minutes to pump up their individual stats.

The Oilers need to fix the Turris line. They need guys who are dogged on the forecheck, who can cycle the puck effectively and don't bobble passes consistently. Virtanen would be about as effective in that role as Chiasson currently is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s a shorter season for sure but every game is divisional so whether your hot at the start or hot at the end it all counts the exact same. Your only playing teams your in direct competition with. If Montreal goes through a scoring slump and goes 0-6-2 during some random 8 game stretch this year than their hot start is erased just like that.

I wouldn't bet the farm on Montreal having a stretch like that. They loaded up a lot in a short order and the goaltending is solid.

Reactions: MessierII

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The only way you think of trading RNH is if you guaranteed a defender that will make a difference every single night

until such time I don’t care who’s in net it won’t make a difference

People need to remember or be aware that Chris Pronger turned roloson into a starting goaltender
Ya, Rollie was already good enough. Couldn't help Conkin.

The Oilers were allowing 16 shots in an ENTIRE game some nights lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone actually think Holland would move Larsson anytime soon? Barring some sweetheart of a deal, I just don't see him trading Larsson

Even if these young kids start taking jobs I don't know that he'd move him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It helps that McDavid and Drai were still on their ELCs in 2016-17. The current Oilers would be a much better team if McDavid Drai were on their ELCs.

Maroon in his prime years was suitable as well playing along McDavid. The depth overall on the 2016 team can't be compared to todays team most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna