Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread|Keith, No Keith, Hurry Up and Make Up Your Damn Minds Already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Swept? They literally choked

Both the Leafs and Habs would've beat the Oilers 4-0. The Oilers can't play against those teams, it was evident in long stretches for the regular season too when they opted to zero in on the McDavid line, we had no answer and no push back in many, many games.

In one embarrassing sequence I think we couldn't even get a goal against Toronto for almost 3 full straight games, like c'mon.

We're not on par with even those teams let alone the Colorados of the world. Lying to ourselves about this is not going to help us. To improve anything in sports or even in just life in general, you first must be honest about where you are at.

We've improved from being a non-playoff team yes, and that's commendable, but we are still also below a lot of teams still. You don't get swept in the playoffs by a not great Winnipeg team by accident.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I just hope Larsson gets signed; I dont want to see the D-core without him.

Looking at the positives, the D finally has a HOF vet who can provide leadership and take the stress off of Nurse. I really hope that they can still sign Larsson and Mike Reilly

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Nurse - Bear
Keith - Larsson
xxx - Bouchard
Lagesson

Not a terrible D depending on what hits the XXX slot but also nothing special.

We badly need a 1G, top flight LW, and depth. While I personally dont hate Keith that cap hit makes it pivotal to buyout Neal and Koski or move them with low/no retention.

Reactions: Faelko

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nurse - Bear
Keith - Larsson
xxx - Bouchard
Lagesson

Not a terrible D depending on what hits the XXX slot but also nothing special.

We badly need a 1G, top flight LW, and depth. While I personally dont hate Keith that cap hit makes it pivotal to buyout Neal and Koski or move them with low/no retention.

That XXX is likely Russell who resigned for $1M-ish this year.

Sure would be nice to add another guy, but you can bet that Samoroukov or Broberg will get some reps, so not sure we'll see another vet brought in until the TDL... which I can stomach if we spend cap elsewhere.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Exactly... and nor should you or anyone.

Bad asset management, but good on-ice and off-ice outcome.

This guy is a first ballot HoF defensemen with 3 cups to his name. He chose to be here. And we have a team that despite its Uber-elite talent can't win a playoff series. Maybe he doesn't recover from a down season, maybe he does. Either way, he'll be helpful with our young leadership group. Either way he deserves fan's respect.

What I don't get is how a guy who was an ELITE player for a long long time and can still skate has suddenly forgot how to play hockey and is no longer even decent. I just don't see how that makes sense. What has caused him to regress from being a number 1 to a 3rd pairing or worse player if his wheels are still there? I'd use common sense and guess the team is the biggest factor in this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just hope Larsson gets signed; I dont want to see the D-core without him.

Looking at the positives, the D finally has a HOF vet who can provide leadership and take the stress off of Nurse. I really hope that they can still sign Larsson and Mike Reilly

That should leave a buck fifty left over for forward help. Meet your new no.1 LW Connor ... Alex Galchenyuk!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They might as well just not buy out Koskinen. Send him down to the AHL and you save $1 million of his $4 million salary, and you can dump him at the trade deadline as expiring salary filler in a trade.

Then in a year he's off the your books clean, no sense in having a $1.5 million cap penalty next year again when you're probably already paying almost $2 million for the Neal buy out.

And hey if one of your goalies gets hurt, it's not the worst thing in the world to have Koskinen be able to come up and play back up. He's OK for 10-15 game back up stretches and then fizzles under work load heavier than that.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All the Canadian teams are managed by buffoon-ish lower tier GMs.

When this guy is the best of the best by a fair margin it says something

0608-city-habs-fans-4.jpg

Bergevin is the only half decent GM in Canada.

Reactions: Vagabond

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
11.5 mill for Yamamoto, Larsson, Starting goalie, #2 LW at minimum...which is not enough money. If Koskinen or Neal aren't traded/bought out we don't have enough money to fill those holes and we arguably would be worse on paper than last year.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
All the Canadian teams are managed by buffoon-ish lower tier GMs.

When this guy is the best of the best by a fair margin it says something

0608-city-habs-fans-4.jpg

Bergevin is the only half decent GM in Canada.

He’s certainly the luckiest

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He’s certainly the luckiest

He won several big trades, that's not just luck. That's competence, something Oilers management hasn't seen since 2006.

Getting Petry for a song and Suzuki for a Pacorietty that wasn't going to re-sign and wanted to go to the US is top level managing. We don't ever get that because of our management is stupid.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He won several big trades, that's not just luck. That's competence, something Oilers management hasn't seen since 2006.

Getting Petry for a song and Suzuki for a Pacorietty that wasn't going to re-sign and wanted to go to the US is top level managing. We don't ever get that because of our management is stupid.

Yeah and everyone wanted him fired up until they lucked into the playoffs. They got exposed as frauds in the finals. Who cares? All of the Canadian franchises stink including your precious Leafs

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah and everyone wanted him fired up until they lucked into the playoffs. They got exposed as frauds in the finals. Who cares? All of the Canadian franchises stink including your precious Leafs

Well they all stink because the management north of the border is all trash mainly.

Bergevin is the best of the bunch by a large margin, Holland isn't as bad as Chiarelli, but he's not great either.

US teams are simply way, way better run. Canada deserves its Cup drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad