Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread|Keith, No Keith, Hurry Up and Make Up Your Damn Minds Already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I’m guessing klef is not coming back for awhile or at all

That really sucks to hear. I hope he can get that back, but his health and quality of life is important. And doesn't sound like he's coming back. I wish him well in his recovery though.

I do want to say though, if Klefbom is done and is put on LTIR for the foreseeable future

Keith pretty much replaces that Cap we would normally would have for Klefbom.

We got the better defencemen back with a 2 million overpay in non- cap retention from I've learned.

A gut punch but manageable.

Either way, I think we are a
better team with Keith.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, exactly. The Manning trade was SIGNIFICANTLY better than this trade. We are stuck with Keith for 2 more years at $5.5 M, when he is a $1M/year player. He is barely a NHL player anymore. Holland just pissed away $4.5 M in cap space, and in doing so basically screwed over 2 of the remaining 4 years we have in the McDrai years. We'll be looking to buy Keith out at this time next season. This is beyond a travesty, as it has now cost us half of the remaining McDrai window. Pathetically bad in every respect.
I meant the players. Not the trade

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
That really sucks to hear. I hope he can get that back, but his health and quality of life is important. And doesn't sound like he's coming back. I wish him well in his recovery though.

I do want to say though, if Klefbom is done and is put on LTIR for the foreseeable future

Keith pretty much replaces that Cap we would normally would have for Klefbom.

We got the better defencemen back with a 2 million overpay in non- cap retention from I've learned.

A gut punch but manageable.

Either way, I think we are a
better team with Keith.
We’d be better of with someone other than Keith at that caphit, and we wouldn’t be out Jones, a draft pick, and a spot sheltered from expansion draft. This is a thick shyt sandwich no matter how you slice it.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
We’d be better of with someone other than Keith at that caphit, and we wouldn’t be out Jones, a draft pick, and a spot sheltered from expansion draft. This is a thick shyt sandwich no matter how you slice it.

I don't think you can really get anyone better to mentor our D-corp, if you talking about younger quality defencemen, maybe but not guarenteed in FA and we would have probably sacrificed a higher AAV and term. Through trade? probably give more assets that we have dealt to day. The burden and flak is definitely on Holland for the trade, and we have to wait and see if this risk/reward was worth it, but now , Keith is an Oiler for two years. I'll be cheering for him 100% for his success. I'm not gonna send him bad mojo because of this trade.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
There are literally no facts that back up this assessment of Keith as a player though. You are free to have this opinion, and hell, maybe you'll be right. But you have to admit that there is literally not a single statistic in the world that says Keith is still a NHL player.

What is this histrionics?!

Not a single stat?

1). An average NHL defenseman would be played 20 mins a night. A non-NHL player plays 0 mins a night. Keith played 23.25. The guy playing him is an NHL coach, paid a seven figure salary for his evaluation of the player. FAIL

2) There are 60 guys playing top pairing in the NHL. 120 playing top-4. Keith had a horrendous year by his standards. He scored at 0.28 ppg. That puts him 85th. That's still an NHL defenseman. FAIL

3) Going back only one year (ONE), he scored at 0.44ppg, which was good for 55th (tied with Parayko, and a shade below Nurse's breakout season of 0.46). While playing 24 minutes a night. FAIL

4) Nearly all of his offense is coming at EVs

5) Chelios traded at the same age... similar type of fitness and competitive nature... played for TEN YEARS after the trade and you are freaked about 2 seasons.

Complain about the retention or lack thereof. That's fair. You need to dial it back a bit on "not an NHL player", that's just... well... I dunno... its just weird.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers will kinda stay where they are, in the tier of "happy to make the playoffs", they're several tiers removed from the top end and even well below a team like Toronto.

Tier A - Tampa

Tier B - Colorado

Tier C - Toronto

Tier D - Edmonton

Tier E - Non playoff teams

Holland is better than Chiarelli, but not as much of an upgrade to get anything done in a big way quickly.

Oilers will stay in that Tier D for a while.
If we were to expand this, would Tampa be in a tier to themselves? Where does Montreal fit? Why is Toronto ahead of Emonton?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't think you can really get anyone better to mentor our D-corp, if you talking about younger quality defencemen, maybe but not guarenteed in FA and we would have probably sacrificed a higher AAV and term. Through trade? probably give more assets that we have dealt to day. The burden and flak is definitely on Holland for the trade, and we have to wait and see if this risk/reward was worth it, but now , Keith is an Oiler for two years. I'll be cheering for him 100% for his success. I'm not gonna send him bad mojo because of this trade.

Exactly... and nor should you or anyone.

Bad asset management, but good on-ice and off-ice outcome.

This guy is a first ballot HoF defensemen with 3 cups to his name. He chose to be here. And we have a team that despite its Uber-elite talent can't win a playoff series. Maybe he doesn't recover from a down season, maybe he does. Either way, he'll be helpful with our young leadership group. Either way he deserves fan's respect.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we were to expand this, would Tampa be in a tier to themselves? Where does Montreal fit? Why is Toronto ahead of Emonton?

Toronto is a better team than Edmonton by a good amount, they would have swept the Oilers.

Habs are probably in the Toronto tier especially if Suzuki has addressed their 1C question marks.

Tampa, Vegas are in the top tier, Colorado is very close but I think what keeps Colorado out for now is their goaltending maybe is not as experienced.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Meh on Jones. Meh on the expansion slot unless we have another deal we can't do because of this one.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Toronto is a better team than Edmonton by a good amount, they would have swept the Oilers.

Habs are probably in the Toronto tier especially if Suzuki has addressed their 1C question marks.

Tampa, Vegas are in the top tier, Colorado is very close but I think what keeps Colorado out for now is their goaltending maybe is not as experienced.
That's a bold statement that can't be proven, and one I do not endorse at all.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Swept? They literally choked

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's a bold statement that can't be proven, and one I do not endorse at all.

Go look at the Oilers-Leafs record head to head the last 20 games and wake up.

Just because we don't like their annoying fan base and media doesn't magically mean our team is our par, its not. They would've smoked us in a playoff round, they basically did, you saw that 3 game mini-series we had against them, they embarrassed us and Matthews didn't even play in 2 of those games I believe.

We are a good tier below them easily and several tiers below a team like Colorado.

Accepting that is not pessimism, it's being realistic which is necessary, you cannot get better at anything if you're lying to yourself.

Reactions: Beerfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad