Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Is Keith still a top 4 defenseman? It's in the "Eye of the Beholder."

Is Keith still a top 4 dman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The issue is that at 3-4 years he is likely looking at getting at least $7M or so. We can't afford something that high.
Agree. Think we should lower his cap and increase the term. The priority should be the years McDrai are gauaranteed to be here anyways. If we can’t get close to winning before their contracts are up, nothing matters.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bowman reportedly wanted Bear or McLeod in the Keith deal.

They can keep him then at his full $5.5 cap hit and miss out on Hamilton/Jones. We don’t owe them anything.

Jones for Keith @ 50%.

We have all the leverage here, just target another LHD in free agency if Bowman wants to get greedy.

Not a chance do we move either of those two or Samorukov for Keith even with retention.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If Bear is what it takes to get Keith plus retention... that's a fantastic deal.
It's not like Keith will be worse than Bear and even the slightest bounce back trumps him by miles

One of Stauffer's comments the other day was that the Oilers have young players whose game collapsed in the playoffs to the point Tippitt couldn't put them on the ice, and acquiring Keith could help recover that young player's game via mentorship. Only Bear fits that description, and if Stauffer has any sense of what the organization is thinking, then the Oilers aren't going to trade Bear when they are willing to take on an aging defenseman with a bad contract just to teach him how to play hockey.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not the biggest fan of Keith and this idea about intagibles, blah, blah.

But I cant think of a better mentor for Bear.
I hate the word intangibles now mostly because of how it was used to Toews for so long it became a meme so it's basically become synonymous with veteran players.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Either get the deal done or move on
Grind Bowman down to get the best deal possible, wait until he is forced to do something. No point in Edmonton rushing to get this deal done. Either the deal gets done or it doesn’t, the longer it takes, likely means the better it potentially is for the Oilers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Grind Bowman down to get the best deal possible, wait until he is forced to do something. No point in Edmonton rushing to get this deal done. Either the deal gets done or it doesn’t, the longer it takes, likely means the better it potentially is for the Oilers.
The report now is that Holland has a "take it or leave it deal" and that is the end of it. Bowman can accept or not, Holland is done negotiating. Which I like a lot.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If Bear is what it takes to get Keith plus retention... that's a fantastic deal.
It's not like Keith will be worse than Bear and even the slightest bounce back trumps him by miles

Nah. We're already weaker on the right side. And Bear is young with good potential (and unlike Jones, Bear has played a season as a top-4 guy).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If we need to bring Keith in to teach the young d-men, what do we have Coffey for?
Apparently to tell Jones to "just play his game" which made Jones try plays that weren't there all season long. At least that's my theory as to why Jones couldn't execute worth shit. Didn't pick his spots.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
40M open with only 1 NHL defenseman under contract (Bouchard), and zero NHL goalies under contract, and big raises for Nurse and Pulujarvi at minimum. You also aren't allocating for what Holland is going to spend in the next few weeks (15M at least, probably in multi year deals). You also haven't included RFA's, which will add so that really isn't 40M at all. We will be lucky to have enough money to extend Nurse and Pulujarvi next year.

Unless Puljujarvi blows up in a major way, I have a hard time see him making 4+. Nurse is like a $2M raise, so we're talking about a grand total of like $4M in raises to those two. That's taken care of by Neal's contract coming off the books one way or another.

All in all the situation is far too fluid to make any definitive pronouncements one way or another about who the oilers could or could not afford in a year's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad